Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

Do you want your breadcrumbs highlighted?

~SMcD

Patware posted:

I've never hosed with forestry farms either. I dont know what kind of documentation on it I need to see, but i haven't seen it yet

Forestry multifarms aren't that hard. https://ftb.gamepedia.com/Multifarm has pretty much everything you need.

If you're doing them in GTNH, there's a few caveats.
A) Creating enough water to feed the thing can be a problem before you get access to either everfull urns, or the ender IO reservoir (HV) or RemoteIO water source block (EV).
2) To farm IC2 crop sticks, like I am in my screenshot earlier, you need to make Uranium 238 tubes for your circuit board. You can get U238 as a byproduct from processing Thorium, which spawns in the nether. It's a manual-type farm, so you need to place the dirt/farmland/crops/water yourself. It'll keep the crop sticks hydrated and fertilized, but if you want to hit the sticks up with some WeedEX, you're on your own.
iii] For some reason, the U238 tubes afford an extra 5 blocks of radius for the farm.

I'm using 1/1/1 oak bonsais for my farm, which you can get by just slapping a vanilla sapling on an IC2 crop stick. They yield roughly the same amount of wood as a (non-large) oak tree does, with some sapling and apple drops, but they are a lot less laggy, because they aren't scanning the world constantly to see if they can grow.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Black Pants
Jan 16, 2008

Such comfortable, magical pants!
Lipstick Apathy

flatluigi posted:

here's a question that might not fit: what are some good things i could add clientside when playing on a vanilla server (with some datapacks?)

it's 1.16.5 and i did grab optifine at least, but it's been so long since i played on a server that i don't even know what my options are. are there inventory-sorting-hotkey mods still?

Inventory Tweaks, Client Tweaks, Mouse Tweaks and Crafting Tweaks are clientside iirc and should work. Xaero's World Map/Minimap will work too. Maybe Dynamic Surroundings if you're into that.

Hooplah
Jul 15, 2006

Gwyneth Palpate posted:

Oh yes, it is Old Mod Time

Old setup on the right, new setup on the left

you vs. the farm she told you not to worry about

Elswyyr
Mar 4, 2009

Gwyneth Palpate posted:

Forestry multifarms aren't that hard. https://ftb.gamepedia.com/Multifarm has pretty much everything you need.

If you're doing them in GTNH, there's a few caveats.
A) Creating enough water to feed the thing can be a problem before you get access to either everfull urns, or the ender IO reservoir (HV) or RemoteIO water source block (EV).
2) To farm IC2 crop sticks, like I am in my screenshot earlier, you need to make Uranium 238 tubes for your circuit board. You can get U238 as a byproduct from processing Thorium, which spawns in the nether. It's a manual-type farm, so you need to place the dirt/farmland/crops/water yourself. It'll keep the crop sticks hydrated and fertilized, but if you want to hit the sticks up with some WeedEX, you're on your own.
iii] For some reason, the U238 tubes afford an extra 5 blocks of radius for the farm.

I'm using 1/1/1 oak bonsais for my farm, which you can get by just slapping a vanilla sapling on an IC2 crop stick. They yield roughly the same amount of wood as a (non-large) oak tree does, with some sapling and apple drops, but they are a lot less laggy, because they aren't scanning the world constantly to see if they can grow.

A detail I learned on the GTNH discord: You can make Thaumcraft Thirsty Tanks real early on, and they'll give you enough water to run autofarms. For some reason, if you place water sources around a Thirsty Tank quickly enough it will never consume them and reach a steady state where it makes infinite water.

Clairetic
Nov 3, 2008

I don't even know my own credit card information.
god gently caress maybe i should be developing for Fabric after all

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

Clairetic posted:

god gently caress maybe i should be developing for Fabric after all

I haven't tried it myself, but apparently the load times on Fabric are AMAZING.

Clairetic
Nov 3, 2008

Gwyneth Palpate posted:

I haven't tried it myself, but apparently the load times on Fabric are AMAZING.

pros:
- this^
- mixins are cool and i don't have to wait 15 days for a PR to be accepted by Forge
- the deobfuscation/mapping tools are better
- growing rather than declining support
- not weirdly and pointlessly authoritarian in api design the way Forge is
- more modular and distributed, so patchwork updates to stay ahead of minecraft versions are less dependent on a single group of beleaguered devs
- less invasive by default, so there's less work involved in updating
- the space is less 'full' so whatever my mod does is less likely to be superseded by some other mod that does the same thing but easier and less fun in a random grab bag of mods

cons:
- mod interoperability is iffy due to the lack of a standard beyond 'hey why don't we collaborate on an api for these things that our mods all do', like in the olden days of Forge
- I'd have to write many hooks myself (not necessarily a bad thing because some of forge's hooks are old and broken and need fixing but it is still more work)
- main fabric community has iffy moderation (but so does Forge; they just don't allow people to talk about anything not modding related. Turns out the same transphobe that finally got banned from Fabric after a year of them not doing anything about it is still posting in the Forge dev discord)
- forge still has a lot of inertia and a stronger more complex mod ecosystem

the third option:
- lean heavily on mixins, use them to build two similar foundation mods which provide an architecture to plug the actual content mod into, i don't really want to do that before actual content though.

Clairetic fucked around with this message at 04:33 on Feb 17, 2021

Black Pants
Jan 16, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
The load times are amazing on fabric because there's no content to load.

OgNar
Oct 26, 2002

They tapdance not, neither do they fart
I havent looked for awhile, but last time I did look, I couldnt find one mod on Fabric that uses anything like RF.
No mods containing ore doubling of any sort.
Not sure if this has changed.

Clairetic
Nov 3, 2008

Black Pants posted:

The load times are amazing on fabric because there's no content to load.

There's that but also a lot of the big mods for Fabric are performance enhancers & optimizations made by someone named JellySquid who apparently got hired by Hytale recently. She found maintainers for each of her projects so I don't think it will die but it might not continue to improve in her absence.

Vazkii fans are working on porting all of Vazkii's mods to Fabric at least, and making good progress.

Clairetic fucked around with this message at 20:46 on Feb 17, 2021

Eox
Jun 20, 2010

by Fluffdaddy
I really hope Fabric winds up in better hands soon, I'm so goddamn tired of this bloated mess run by an even older clique

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

Clairetic posted:

There's that but also a lot of the big mods for Fabric are performance enhancers & optimizations made by someone named JellySquid who apparently got hired by Hytale recently. She found maintainers for each of her projects so I don't think it will die but it might not continue to improve in her absence.

The Jellysquid optimization/performance mods are so loving good, holy poo poo. And to think, they could have been in Forge if LexManos or whatever his name was didn't take it as a personal affront to his dignity for some reason.

Black Pants
Jan 16, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Gwyneth Palpate posted:

The Jellysquid optimization/performance mods are so loving good, holy poo poo. And to think, they could have been in Forge if LexManos or whatever his name was didn't take it as a personal affront to his dignity for some reason.

:psyduck:

Edit: god managing this 1.16 server is absolute hell. Unexplainable TPS issues, RAM leaks, things being randomly broken, and just now it was acting like TPS was under 20 when both /forge tps and Spark said otherwise.

18.02 05:13:30 [Server] Server thread/WARN [minecraft/MinecraftServer]: Can't keep up! Is the server overloaded? Running 83931ms or 1678 ticks behind

:bang:

Here I am thinking about getting an enterprise grade VPS just to let 5 people on my server at once and have it run ok.

Edit 2: It's not making me want to go Fabric though it's making me pine for 1.7.10.

Black Pants fucked around with this message at 09:58 on Feb 18, 2021

Eox
Jun 20, 2010

by Fluffdaddy
IIRC they arbitrarily decided that mixins are just a crutch for bad programmers and that her mods were just placebos

Agoat
Dec 4, 2012

I AM BAD AT GAMES
Lipstick Apathy
Do you guys have any recommendations for server hosts?

Black Pants
Jan 16, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Agoat posted:

Do you guys have any recommendations for server hosts?

I have been using Shockbyte for over a year and have been pretty happy with them, but like I've been ranting about, my 1.16 pack is straining their hardware unlike my 1.12 pack ever did so I'm considering looking for something beefier even if I have to pay more.

Speaking of ranting, it's really loving hard to find hosts advertising their actual hardware's power, and most people talking about how good/bad a host is seem to care and talk more about ticket response times than how well the server actually runs.

Seee: all the negative reviews for Shockbyte being "It took me a day to get a response to a ticket! Host sucks worst experience never touch them!"

Black Pants fucked around with this message at 12:29 on Feb 19, 2021

Wolfsbane
Jul 29, 2009

What time is it, Eccles?

I like roxservers.com because they charge based on the number of players not the power of the hardware. Ran a 6 player server of sevtech ages for a few months and didn't have any slowdown issues, although we weren't doing anything particularly crazy.

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!
I need some more details on feeding a hungry node. I set up a dispenser overhead to drop crafting tables on a 1-second clock pulse. I built a bit of a chute to encourage a straighter drop. The node has roughly 25 in the primals. With a thaumostatic harness and girdle, I can't escape it's pull if I get within a block of it. I assume that will get worse. It is encased in obsidian such that an equal trade focus could glass the for jarring... somehow. I'm playing GT:NH so there's apparently something that I can make and point at it to make it temporarily normal (vortex attenuator?) but it looks like I need to wrap myself some more before it'll even show up. What should I be preparing to successfully capture this node once I spice it up to 100 in all primals?

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

Rocko Bonaparte posted:

I need some more details on feeding a hungry node. I set up a dispenser overhead to drop crafting tables on a 1-second clock pulse. I built a bit of a chute to encourage a straighter drop. The node has roughly 25 in the primals. With a thaumostatic harness and girdle, I can't escape it's pull if I get within a block of it. I assume that will get worse. It is encased in obsidian such that an equal trade focus could glass the for jarring... somehow. I'm playing GT:NH so there's apparently something that I can make and point at it to make it temporarily normal (vortex attenuator?) but it looks like I need to wrap myself some more before it'll even show up. What should I be preparing to successfully capture this node once I spice it up to 100 in all primals?

The easiest way to tame a hungry node is to taint the chunk it's in until it turns into a tainted node, then jar it. Once you bring it back and transduce it, whatever status a centivis node is overwrites the tainted aspect, making it safe.

McFrugal
Oct 11, 2003

Rocko Bonaparte posted:

Hungry nodes always pull/eat at the same radius regardless of size. Also you can escape a hungry node with a glider I think?

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

a hungry node almost ate my horse one time but I rescued it

McFrugal
Oct 11, 2003

Gwyneth Palpate posted:

a hungry node almost ate my horse one time but I rescued it

Wow, how? Did you grab it with a golden lasso then glide away?

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

McFrugal posted:

Wow, how? Did you grab it with a golden lasso then glide away?

I think it was a copter pack but yeah, golden lasso then pulled away

Happy Hedonist
Jan 18, 2009

Black Pants posted:

:psyduck:

Edit: god managing this 1.16 server is absolute hell. Unexplainable TPS issues, RAM leaks, things being randomly broken, and just now it was acting like TPS was under 20 when both /forge tps and Spark said otherwise.

18.02 05:13:30 [Server] Server thread/WARN [minecraft/MinecraftServer]: Can't keep up! Is the server overloaded? Running 83931ms or 1678 ticks behind

:bang:

Here I am thinking about getting an enterprise grade VPS just to let 5 people on my server at once and have it run ok.

Edit 2: It's not making me want to go Fabric though it's making me pine for 1.7.10.

The 1.16 server requires a ton more resources than 1.12, so much so it’s really pricey if you want to host a vanilla server with more than 2 or 3 players, and never mind farms. That poo poo is just going to destroy your tps unless you are willing to throw a beefy cpu and about 16Gb of ram at it. I don’t think adding 150+ mods to that equation is going to go well.

I used to run a vanilla server with 5-10 players doing whatever the hell they wanted on 4gb of ram and a poo poo cpu.

Black Pants
Jan 16, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
Getting very tempted to spin up a 1.7.10 nostalgia pack to run on a server.

1.7.10: It just Works.

Black Pants fucked around with this message at 09:07 on Feb 21, 2021

StealthArcher
Jan 10, 2010

Just wait till the cave update and doubled map heights.

Also paging rootinmex to talk about running 1.2.5 on a full mod suite on a single gig.

runchild
May 26, 2010

420 smoke 🎨artisanal🍑 melange erryday

Black Pants posted:

Getting very tempted to spin up a 1.7.10 nostalgia pack to run on a server.

1.7.10: It just Works.

I’d be interested in that. One of my personal packs that I’ve been playing with lately is 1.12 but I call it “NostalgiaCraft” since it’s mostly just Buildcraft, Railcraft, IndustrialCraft, and Forestry.

Black Pants
Jan 16, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
It wouldn't be that nostalgic.

runchild
May 26, 2010

420 smoke 🎨artisanal🍑 melange erryday

Black Pants posted:

It wouldn't be that nostalgic.

What were you thinking of including?

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

Speaking of nostalgia, while I wait for 18 stacks of stainless steel to smelt, I started the first witchery quests, and goddamn that is a memory trip.

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!
Regarding the hungry node: I did see that trick about tainting, but with the idea you somehow jar it and take it to an existing tainted biome. I guess you encase the node in obsidian and equal trade it to glass before jarring it.

I was having a hard time imagining that working. You make the switch, sure, but then the node presumably eats the glass.

Happy Hedonist
Jan 18, 2009

I’d be down for a 1.7 pack! I want to make play on a good mp server without hosting it for once.

Black Pants
Jan 16, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

runchild posted:

What were you thinking of including?

In two words, basically everything. Thaumcraft, Witchery, Blood Magic, Botania, Academycraft, AE2, Chromaticraft, Rotarycraft, Reactorcraft, Mariculture, Matter Overdrive, Open Computers, Morph, Railcraft, Thermal, EnderIO, Mekanism, IE, Hardcore Ender Expansion, maybe Twilight Forest, Aether...

That kind of thing.

McFrugal
Oct 11, 2003

Rocko Bonaparte posted:

Regarding the hungry node: I did see that trick about tainting, but with the idea you somehow jar it and take it to an existing tainted biome. I guess you encase the node in obsidian and equal trade it to glass before jarring it.

I was having a hard time imagining that working. You make the switch, sure, but then the node presumably eats the glass.

You don't need to move it while it's still Hungry. Get yourself some bottled taint and just slap the ground under the node to taint the area. Might be safest to taint the chunk from underground actually, you don't want the thrown bottle to get sucked into the node instead of hitting the ground.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

I've been getting back into modded with 1.16 and just found out that Thermal Dynamics apparently isn't going to happen. Is there a good replacement mod for RF/item pipes?

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

The title for the Blood Magic section of GTNH is "Paying the highest price"

the high part of the price isn't blood, but in this case, arcane stone

McFrugal
Oct 11, 2003

Gwyneth Palpate posted:

The title for the Blood Magic section of GTNH is "Paying the highest price"

the high part of the price isn't blood, but in this case, arcane stone

I heard there's almost no benefit to doing blood magic in GTNH. You get some extra foods to eat for max hp, that's about it.

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

McFrugal posted:

I heard there's almost no benefit to doing blood magic in GTNH. You get some extra foods to eat for max hp, that's about it.

Teleposers beg to disagree. Interdimensional teleportation for players (and most tile entities, including probably chests and tanks) are going to make my life MUCH easier.

McFrugal
Oct 11, 2003

Gwyneth Palpate posted:

Teleposers beg to disagree. Interdimensional teleportation for players (and most tile entities, including probably chests and tanks) are going to make my life MUCH easier.

There are other methods of teleportation in the pack. I think there's a method via Witchery?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

McFrugal posted:

There are other methods of teleportation in the pack. I think there's a method via Witchery?

Witchery teleportation only works one-way, IIRC, and uses resources for each jump.