Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Augh I've finally hit a point where Songs of Syx started to click for me and this is awful, I can already tell how deep the hooks are going to get into my brain.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Trying out Odd Realm and it's very fiddly. Seems like pretty much dwarf fortress with a nice UI and much less story generator stuff. I dont really know if I need to place every single bit of furniture and decoration in my games anymore.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Playing more Odd Realm, this time as ancients, basically liches so I can just ignore food, water, air, etc so I've dug out a nice little lair. Game feels very driven by mechanics and dry though. Like I'm just doing busywork to advance tech.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Weirdly enough ive been enjoying the hell out of Songs of Syx despite it being as mechanically driven and also featureless citizens? Maybe its the scale of it and the fact that the room building in it is so nice and streamlined compared to how directly copied from DF Odd Realm’s room building is. I felt the lack of character perso alities more when Oddrealm only has a small number of people.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Trying out the Deadwater Saloon demo and it seems neat enough, might keep an eye on it when it releases.

demo doesnt have much expansion room so some customers are pretty unhappy.

Synthbuttrange fucked around with this message at 12:03 on Aug 27, 2022

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

This is my characters stat page. She got a sex addiction after I got the prostitute in and tried blowing off the stress of being in the red all the time. Also note all the other attributes which you can try use to do all sorts of things around town.

So its a lot of little rpg elements in these events in between dealing with needs of the salooon. One of the early challenges is also to deal with an outlaw gang so I've been buttering up all the locals to stand by my side. Of course I'm not relying entirely on them, I hired 4 beefy bouncers and bought all the guns from the blacksmith to help even out the odds.

https://store.steampowered.com/app/1802420/Deadwater_Saloon_Prologue/

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

One thing to explain: When you buy supplies, you're getting raw materials. You've got to research recipes before you can serve them at the saloon. You'll also need plenty of storage in the later stages when you have multiple food and drink types.

Hence why the bordello was also the pantry.

Synthbuttrange fucked around with this message at 15:06 on Aug 27, 2022

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Snooze Cruise posted:

im going to use the seduction skill on all the ladies and uses the shooting skills on all the men in town, muhaha

Youre going to end up using seduction on pigs and highwaymen mark my words

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

https://store.steampowered.com/app/727570/After_the_Collapse/

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DOhueo_kKNU

Anyone tried this out? Rimworld x Cataclysm seems appealing to me. Looks a bit rear end but if the gameplay is good I might be interested.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

CuddleCryptid posted:

Wandering Village is an interesting game from a thematic standpoint.

Ah yes, these nomads are learning to live in harmony with this beast, feeding him with a trebuchet in exchange for protection and movement. Anyways, our lab did some research and we decided to make a machine that skips the trebuchet and instead drills right through his flesh and into his stomach to pump liquid food instead, it's more efficient! Also, raising crops was doing okay, but we also decided to pump the blood out of the beasts' heart to make pudding. Call us Settlement Ghibli, we're so in sync with nature.

Good lord.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

aw no it was kind of a worry i had at the back of my head when playing the demo but Deadwater Saloon is kind of easy once you get past the initial hump. Your stats and money just keep snowballing. I mean you can still lose the game and die but only by choosing to do really dumb things.

Its still really atmospheric, the music is great, shame the gameplay doesnt have more depth. Its really wide but not very deep.

*me looking for my dream management/rpg*

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Saloon Manager Game got a patch increased the number of croupiers and prostitutes you can hire to 10 (each?). :v go hog wild! I'm hopeful it can be improved but also yikes that the game's gone down to Mixed already.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

No thats fair. It's got a ridiculous amount of things to do but they're all very shallow. Skill gain isnt balanced so you rapidly max out attributes in play. There's a little action economy (you only get X number of character moves per day to do interaction tasks) but you can expand those then it just becomes repetitive to use them all up. :v

Saloon management is basically finished once you put down all your furniture and hire all staff. There's no reason to touch it again, there's no more new furniture that's unlocked for better stats or progress. Furniture placement isnt a factor in anything. I could put a hundred lights down to raise my refinement since each light just adds a flat stat bonus to the place, nevermind that the lamps are covering the entire floor

Music's great tho.

The prologue's which limits you to 4 weeks play which is plenty time to get a feel of the game and can carry through if you decide to buy the full game: https://store.steampowered.com/app/1802420/Deadwater_Saloon_Prologue/

Synthbuttrange fucked around with this message at 08:08 on Sep 17, 2022

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Gonna ranch those slimes

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

i really am tired of that style of character

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

We need a game where a witch manages a cottage factory in space

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

CuddleCryptid posted:

I'm on board but only if it has tower defense and full frontal nudity.

okay but only if it's under $5 and is an arena auto shooter.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

https://twitter.com/tredlocity/status/1582121390588981248

i love it

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

im gonna romance the potions

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

I really wish Satisfactory's hoverpack unlocked much earlier. it's such a pain building big without it. :|

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

The lookout tower isnt really great because you've got limited mobility.

The other solution I can think of is to unlock the steel beam floors (not the glass floors) that you can see and build through, and just build a construction platform way above the area.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Is it as janky as Lets Game it Out makes it look?

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

https://store.steampowered.com/app/1723560/Ballads_of_Hongye/

This looks kind of amazing and is out very soon.

edit: oh no

Synthbuttrange fucked around with this message at 13:23 on Nov 15, 2022

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

its ludicrously cheap though for some reason

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

They also had an early early design stage of Clockwork Empires that was basically factory production lines way before any other games in the genre even existed. The things that might have been if they stuck with that.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

nielsm posted:

I think lots of Idle Clicker type games have that kind of slowly becoming a cosmic horror of production mechanics.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

just make cool dwarf bone artifacts

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Wipfmetz posted:

So, any ideas about Stranded: Alien Dawn?

It looks like some cheap asset mill poo poo, but on the other side it's haemimont. I usually like their games (Surving Mars, Tropico 3/4/5, Tzar and such), even if there is not just a little bit jank.

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLPkg-KkS3KGczAig_9YEz-F9p7p4lTOdM

Been watching this LP of it. Seems okay, more visually interesting rimworld but without the years of extra development.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Less stuff and systems to get lost in or have no idea about or may be op or useless or fun. YMMV.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Well they should given what happened :v

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

It looks great. Which makes me wonder how well it runs on older systems. Wish the demo was up. :/

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

so is the endgame to drive the ship up not-elon's rear end?

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Huh, reviews have dropped to mixed.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Are they talking about recycling materials or recycling human waste into yummy nutribars

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

so you're telling me you dont get to drive the entire ship up his rear end?

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Snooze Cruise posted:

i get the impression the guy would sorta be a biotruthy type when you get down to it but all in all its mostly just a weird and uncomfortable thing and i enjoy games with way weirder and more uncomfortable things (like how the metal gear series treats women). just one of those things were it is perfectly reasonable to not want to ever touch the game but no reason to give people the side eye for playing it in that regards.

Yeah. His really dumb opinions keep getting brushed under the rug.

----

Its a real shame the strongest part about Ixion's narrative happens right at the start. The more that happens the less interested I am in it.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

https://store.steampowered.com/app/979110/Space_Haven/

Space Haven's half off.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

a half finished game at half price sounds like a full deal to me

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

all according to keikaku

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

company that fucks up spectacularly right at the start of the game has serious ethics violations? hmmm