Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

Yeah still early in Voxel but the UI impresses me, things make sense. It's very logistics heavy but making truck routes and deploying them to your fleet etc is both advanced and easy to do so far.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

Bernardo Orel posted:

You can clone vehicles and also save orders and then assign them to other vehicles.

On top of that you can edit a saved route and it will change all vehicles doing that route if you want.

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

explosivo posted:

Conveyor belts, you say...?

:hmmyes:

Be careful these don't work like you'd expect. You cannot Conveyor goods to their final destination even if you somehow conveyor it to a station or warehouse directly next to it, the last leg always has to be on some sort of vehicle or it won't accept the goods, this was annoying to find out after some wasted effort.

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

explosivo posted:

I really like the way Going Medieval looks. The picture probably doesn't do it justice but in motion with the lighting and shadows from the clouds floating by, it's just really pleasant to look at. I started a new colony with a better grasp of how the digging works and have been able to make big basements under my production buildings for storage and am digging out a bigass mineshaft for resources.

Combat right now is a sore spot though and I'm constantly losing colonists because they just sorta wade into combat and seem to get stunlocked. I don't even have armor yet though so that's probably on me. And of course I'm building a wall but they keep coming from the side where my wall isn't complete yet.

I sincerely hope they make this game their own and don't (only) keep adding Rimworld features throughout early access. This could be really great if so.

I build all my early game buildings into a tower and just stand on top to bow/fight them off until there's time later to build a wall.

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

I need to stop hopping on EA games, Voxel Tycoon got a patch today and I was like "awesome it's been 2 months it needed something", it's 0 content and like 1-2 fixes to how stations are interacted with and that is it.

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

There is a program logic for until hands are full and for until hands are empty. Also mod out bot charging it's a poo poo mechanic

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

Seen alot of new Autonauts players in here I will give you the best piece of knowledge I ever figured out in that game, deleted buildings go into your inventory to be redeployed later. This includes paths/flooring, so you can have a spot off in a corner with bots that build paths/flooring in a square then delete them periodically to use elsewhere instantly.

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

For people starting Factory town, buy up all the land as soon as you can and look for trading outposts they are fantastic. Almost always there is one that will sell you the second tier metal conveyor belt for like apple juice or some easily produced poo poo, you can belt it right in to a barn next to the trading post and always have belts to use.

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

explosivo posted:

I played a bit of Factory Town last night starting a new game and I am realizing that I seriously never utilized the carts and wagons before now. Like I would use wagons to deliver goods but only when I couldn't make a long enough conveyor belt to feed it automatically. I was just always fixated on the conveyor belts being the best possible method of transportation for some reason.

You should still use belts to an extent, you start to reach breakpoints where workers are an issue and each one you can save by not carrying poo poo will help.

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

82apps posted:

Thanks! And yeah, Markets used to have their own AoE that determined which houses they could deliver to. It got too messy & cramped with all the multiple market types, so that's no longer the case. So now, they link to a Town Center via roads and then deliver to anything in that town.

Carts are great for inter-town deliveries. I recommend using one-way blocks to direct traffic around the streets which can be great at preventing traffic jams. Once you get caravans, you can assign different items to each caravan slot so then one caravan can deliver 4 items.

In the very late game you get Omnipipes which can send any item through above- or below-ground pipes. They're very expensive, but as you can imagine makes a lot of these deliveries easier.

Also I think right now it's too burdensome to deliver *all* items to the town, especially when you start having multiple town centers. I'll probably rebalance things so you can deliver a subset of items & still get full happiness.

Yeah delivering the items needed for happiness is crazy right now, I almost think it would be easier to simulate it backwards like some sort of mass transit where the person travels from the house to some sort of market/mall to grab everything they need for their happiness and go back.

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

smarxist posted:

lol is there any way to re-absorb workers into your city or do they just have to stand around waiting to find other work after automation makes them redundant? >_>

Just highlight and delete, everything gives full refunds.

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

Bhodi posted:

After bouncing off of it a few times I finally completed Autonauts! Have a picture of my end-game base. Was fun, though because there isn't really anything "new" in the latter half of the game it can get tedious and I think the early game could have been cut entirely.

Yeah my real problem with the game is almost everything boils down to "until hand full, grab this tool, until hand empty use in this square" and "until hand full grab everything in this square and put it in or take it out of this container" They needed more reasons for more complex programs. Also the infinite resources means infinite bots which means efficiency isn't really a needed thing on any level.

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

drunken officeparty posted:

A little further into Factory Town and I guess it’s a decent enough time sink. The terrain elevation system combined with terrible autopathing when you lay belts/chutes/roads and spending 20 minutes trying to make road ramps over one spot is infuriating though.

I usually make the map completely flat in game creation settings to avoid most of this, road ramping I usually just use page up to raise it up like 20 squares and then you can drag it through the sky, trying to compact ramp at ground level is chaos.

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

drunken officeparty posted:

Factory Town: is it path for workers and stone for wagons exclusive? Or does stone also speed up workers?

Stone works for both so use that, also make the roads much wider ylthen you'd think you need. You can also use one way logic gates to make them use roads in certain directions helps avoid jams.

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

Azhais posted:

It takes about two hours to hit the end of the going medieval tech tree, it's not filling much of an itch. Have there been any recent updates?

In the past 3 months since launch they have added Shelving and made it so catapults don't shoot underground.

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

I highly suggest Riftbreaker players not do normal and at least do hard, normal is wayyyy too easy, I've never once worried about my base in the slightest.

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

Think I'm done with Riftbreaker, just got a hail storm that did half damage to EVERY SINGLE BUILDING ON THE MAP, then another a few minutes later that destroyed all my power conduits on the entire map before I got a chance to repair.

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

Down and to the right of the research grid has an option for a second researcher, had anyone gotten the recycling to work? I got the center and the bins but nothing is getting recycled.

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

Ineptitude posted:

Skipping Foundation based on what was said in here.
Tried Patron and it is boring, BORING

How is Going Medieval? Looks combat oriented or tower-defense-y? Theres several screenshots involvingcombat.

It's VERY EA and development is crazy slow so give it a year or 3.

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

xzzy posted:

Been waiting for the win condition/war stuff to be turned on. I don't know if it'll give the game hundreds of hours worth of playtime but the idea of influencing the war based on who you sell weapons and supplies to is a pretty interesting concept to me. It'll at least give me another solid playthrough.

I don't feel this was ready for launch, stuff like the farming they added just recently still doesn't work well, everything in the game has this rough feel to it.

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

explosivo posted:

Yeah but I mean you can plop down another one as long as it's on a road and near the town center so in a lot of cases it seems easier to place multiples down instead of feeding everything into one central store

Yeah this is the trick, put them right next to your production buildings if possible, you can do conveyor belts up higher then you think so you can run them over roads and feed the general store directly from the producer without any workers. Also do not ignore happiness, the bonuses from the town center happiness end up being like 5x-10x standard levels so building too far away is just not worth it.

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

Gadzuko posted:

Or the Riftbreaker: https://store.steampowered.com/app/780310/The_Riftbreaker/
I think I would recommend waiting for a sale, especially given the time of year, but it's got a solid 20-25 hours of content and it's a pretty fun combat experience with some light factory management.

It's on Gamepass if you've got it.

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

Yeah you 100% never have to do some crazy trick some youtuber did to beat the game in any way shape or form.

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

So I'm trying Autonauts again and hitting the same stopping point at last time, tier 5-6-7 meals. Each one takes at least a DOZEN clay pots to make a single meal for the colonists, you only get 1 of those pots back so it seems like 80% of my infrastructure is dedicated to making clay pots that keep magically disappearing.

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

Mayveena posted:

Don't bother with that game, play Factory Town. the answer to every 'challenge' in Autonauts is always more bots. I spent 2,000 hours playing it until it finally hit me that it's not a good game. The trains in that game suck big time and don't compare to the trains in OTTD or Factory Town, both games which let you control your consist just the way you want.

Finished Factory Town, also my first train game was Factorio, it's been all downhill from there.

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

I don't imagine the multiple colony management of the DLC is great for new players either.

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

CuddleCryptid posted:

Tbh if you are far enough along that you can build and use the rockets enough to make a second colony then you probably won't have any issues running it.

Do people not use the teleporters scattered around the map? I thought they were meant to be used way before rocket colonization.

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

The DLC adds teleporters onto the base map that teleport usually to the closest nearby colony and back, even gives you matter teleporters that let you send resources/food back and forth. When you get there with your first dupe you find another dupe there for free to help you start the second colony, typically the second colony will have something your first lacks like oil.

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

explosivo posted:

So in this new ONI expansion when I go through a teleporter with one of my dupes they're just gone now? Or can they come back? I kind of expected it to be a two-way thing and realized I might've just lost my head researcher lol

There is a return porter somewhere on the place they teleport to.

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

Dayton Sports Bar posted:

So how's Dyson Sphere Program these days? I remember it being received pretty well when it first came out. Thinking of picking up that or ONI in the sale.

Not much in a long while since blueprints came out, but a big patch/combat is on the horizon.

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

Jack Trades posted:

Honestly, starting to feel pretty tired seeing all the games in the genre being Early Access titles.
I guess 2023 or 2024 will be an AMAZING year for management games.

I feel like lately there hasn't been much improvement from EA to Full release, Hammerting feels like a good example of a game I expected more out of before release. In fact the last one I really felt did the process well was Oxygen not Included.

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

Yeah that early non-complex game disappears at one point and lots of people drop off around that point.

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

Workers and Resources has a bunch going for it but I don't like the civilian transport system, workers will teleport on/off transportation if they were on it for more then a hour, workers do not have set jobs and are terrible about getting onto a bus with a destination in mind instead of riding it around until they teleport off. Also the accelerated time of day does not match with relative vehicle speeds so even if they got on the bus to go to work properly going 1km takes like 8 hours.

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

Combat is "late 2022" so don't hold your breath.

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

GhostDog posted:

Stormworks has programming/scripting, only it doesn't really teach you anything, you have to find resources outside of the game. It's fun though to go from "okay I have some levers to make this ship move" to "let's program an automatic gear box with throttle blip".

Where's Voxel Tycoon at these days? It looks like it got regular updates, but watching a video it still looks the same as three years ago.

In the past year we have gotten, the ability to rename cities, some rail signal fixes and the ability to mass reproduce vehicles. Updates are tiny and development is very slow so check back in another year or two.

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

lordfrikk posted:

Just finished Campaign 2 in Factory Town and I guess it's telling that only 9.5% of players have the achievement for it :v:

I think most people just do custom games not the campaign.

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

How are the Skylines DLCs? I enjoyed the base game well enough back at launch so I know I'm mostly playing a traffic jam simulator.

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

I consider Oxygen not Included to be the gold standard, the base game was good at the launch of EA and each EA update was big with neat new mechanics added.

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

Koobze posted:

Hey all, I am looking for a multiplayer co-op management game recommendation, though I'm not sure what I'm looking for exists. My wife and I had a great time playing some management/survival-ish games like Valheim, Don't Starve, Cryofall, and Garden Paws. The last one is I think closer to what I'm looking for - is there any multiplayer game where you're running a shop together and part of the gameplay loop is exploring/fighting baddies to gather stuff to sell or process into more stuff to sell? And maybe part of it is about building the shop or some kinda base-building, with the overall driving force being the trading/economy management part? We put a fair bit of time into Stardew Valley which ticks some of these boxes too but has less existential pressure. I am aware of V-Rising which we may give a shot sometime but I think it is a bit too focused on the combat for us.

I think My Time at Sandrock might have what you are looking for once the multiplayer comes out "soon"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

SlyFrog posted:

Going Medieval is on sale - what kind of shape is this in? Last I heard, it was the "has promise, but not nearly enough content/anything to actually do."

Is it worth getting as a game now, or is it still in the "might be promising, but wait unless you want to fund development" camp?

I still wouldn't consider it playable, it's the most barebones thing ever and development has been incredibly slow.