Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Thauros
Jan 29, 2003

Tokyo Dome cards:

WRESTLE KINGDOM 16
January 4th at 3:00 AM EST/8:00 GMT/17:00 GMT
TOKYO DOME

Preshow:New Japan Ranbo:Final 4 advance to KOPW 22 4 way
Special Single Match:YOH vs. SHO
Hiroshi Tanahshi, Ryusuke Taguchi, and Rocky Romero vs. Bullet Club (KENTA, Taiji Ishimori, and El Phantasmo)
L.I.J (Tetsuya Naito, SANADA, and BUSHI) vs. United Empire (Jeff Cobb, Great-O-Khan, and Will Ospreay)
Special Single Match: Katsuyori Shibata vs. X
NEVER Openweight Championship:Tomohiro Ishii(c) vs. EVIL
IWGP Heavyweight Tag Championship:Dangerous Tekkers(c) vs. CHAOS (Hirooki Goto and YOSHI-HASHI)
IWGP Jr. Heavyweight Championship:El Desperado(c) vs. Hiromu Takahashi
IWGP World Heavyweight Championship:Shingo Takagi(c) vs. Kazuchika Okada

WRESTLE KINGDOM 16
January 5th at 3:00 AM EST/8:00 GMT/17:00 GMT
TOKYO DOME

IWGP Jr. Hvy Tag Championship 3 Way:Robbie Eagles and Tiger Mask(c) vs. Ryusuke Taguchi and Rocky Romero vs. Bullet Club (Taiji Ishimori and El Phantasmo)
Stardom Special Match:Mayu Iwatani and Starlight Kid vs. Tam Nakano and Saya Kamitani
KOPW 2022 4 Way:X vs. X vs. X vs. X
NEVER Trios Championship:House of Torture (c) (EVIL, Yujiro, and SHO) vs. CHAOS (Hirooki Goto, YOSHI-HASHI, and YOH)
Special Single Match:SANADA vs. Great-O-Khan
Special Single Match:Tetsuya Naito vs. Jeff Cobb
IWGP US Heavyweight Championship:KENTA(c) vs. Hiroshi Tanahashi
IWGP World Heavyweight Championship:1.4 Main Event Winner(c) vs. Will Ospreay

WRESTLE KINGDOM 16
January 8th at 3:00 AM EST/8:00 GMT/17:00 GMT
YOKOHAMA ARENA

Kosei Fujita vs. Yasutaka Yano
TenCozy and Yuji Nagata vs. Funky Express (Muhammad Yone, KING TANY, and Akitoshi Saito
SHO vs. Atsushi Kotoge
Bullet Club (Taiji Ishimori and Gedo) vs. HAYATA and Seiki Yoshioka
Suzuki-gun (El Desperado and DOUKI) vs. Perros Del Mal Japon (NOSAWA RONGAI and YO-HEY)
Ishii, Goto, Y-H, Taguchi, ans Wato vs. Daisuke Harada, Hajime Ohara, Daiki Inabe, Yoshiki Inamura, and Kinya Okada
Suzuki-gun (Zack Sabre Jr. and Yoshinobu Kanemaru vs. Naomichi Marufuji and Yoshinari Ogawa
Suzuki-gun (Taichi, Minoru Suzuki, and TAKA Michinoku) vs. Takashi Sugiura, Kazushi Sakuraba, and KENTA
House of Torture (EVIL and Dick Togo) vs. Go Shiozaki and Masa Kitamiya
L.I.J (Shingo, Naito, SANADA, Hiromu, and BUSHI) vs. KONGO (Nakajima, Kenoh, Soya, Tadasuke, and Aleja)
Kazuchika Okada and Hiroshi Tanahashi vs. Keiji Mutoh and Kaito Kiyomiya

Links:

NJPW's official English language website

NJPW World Watch all major shows live or on demand for only about $9 a month

NJPW's official Youtube accounts (English) (Japanese)

NJPW's official twitter accounts (Global) (Japanese) (NJPW World)

Senor LARIATO's spreadsheet of must watch matches in the NJPW World Archives

Chris Charlton's twitter providing translations of Japanese language promos and interviews

PUROLOVE has results, schedules, and official gate figures for all puro feds large and small

Voices of Wrestling covers New Japan extensively and they have an ebook covering new japan's 2020 if you want to catch up

Thauros fucked around with this message at 05:21 on Dec 26, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thauros
Jan 29, 2003

New Japan Cup 2021:

New Japan Cup USA 2021:

Tag Team Turbulence:

Super Jr. Tag League 2021:

Thauros fucked around with this message at 16:58 on Aug 23, 2021

SalTheBard
Jan 26, 2005

I forgot to post my food for USPOL Thanksgiving but that's okay too!

Fallen Rib
Fun three nights of wrestling. I love New Japan

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

It's like goldy or bronzy, but made of iron.

Mox is the longest reigning current champ in New Japan, and all he needed was a global pandemic to keep him away.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
Maybe if we're lucky the state of emergency will block the BUSHI/Wato match :unsmith:

Germansimp
May 28, 2013

I feel like the worse things have gotten in the pandemic, the more BUSHI has been pushed, so given how things are currently going, he'll probably be double champ by summer.

Then again, if you don't want your audience to get loud and rowdy, pushing BUSHI seems like a logical choice.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Between the NEVER match, the Junior Heavy match, and the main goddamn event, Night 2 went absolutely wild. I need to go back for some of Night 1, but hey, we got great wrestling at Tokyo Dome. Thank god they pulled it off this year.

Thauros
Jan 29, 2003

https://twitter.com/puffinbrain/status/1346817940499251205?s=20

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

E: beaten by own tweet

Thauros
Jan 29, 2003

obv they're factoring in reduced capacity but running the dome twice, ota-ku gym, tokyo dome city hall, and korakuen FIVE times in a month is insane. can't remember that many tokyo shows in a month before

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Thauros posted:

obv they're factoring in reduced capacity but running the dome twice, ota-ku gym, tokyo dome city hall, and korakuen FIVE times in a month is insane. can't remember that many tokyo shows in a month before

Running outside of the big smoke doesn’t make sense from a “please keep visitors away because they’re bringing COVID from Tokyo” sense plus “it doesn’t make sense to run those loops without lots of butts in seats” point of view. Whole lot fewer moving parts to cancel in case they have to shut it all down again (hotels namely).

Paper Lion
Dec 14, 2009

okada is going to finally become a jrpg character and kill god, either at dominion or next wrestle kingdom.

cams
Mar 28, 2003

Paper Lion posted:

okada is going to finally become a jrpg character and kill god, either at dominion or next wrestle kingdom.
i think you are forgetting the man who is already a jrpg character

(first google result for "kenny omega nerd")

Draxion
Jun 9, 2013

I try to, yes

Paper Lion
Dec 14, 2009

that's fps character kenny omega tho

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
Anything interesting happen at Dash? I see Empire pulled in some old guy from the crowd and beat him up, tasteless angle to run during covid tbh.

GEORGE W BUSHI posted:

E: beaten by own tweet

Ya puffin brain.

Ganso Bomb
Oct 24, 2005

turn it all around

I saw Jay White in the trending list on Twitter so I watched NYD waiting for something cool to happen, but the only cool thing that happened was Wato's bump off of BUSHI's finisher.

And Ishii getting the big pin. That was also cool.

Punch McLightning
Sep 19, 2005

you know what that means

Grimey Drawer
Is there anything I should watch off of NYD? It seems fairly inconsequential this year.

a cyborg mug
Mar 8, 2010

Punch McLightning posted:

Is there anything I should watch off of NYD? It seems fairly inconsequential this year.

Not really unless you want to know how Dumbpire took losing all of their matches

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe
NYD was a perfectly decent show and I'd recommend watching it if you have nothing better to do.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
Was the Jay White thing his blow-off then? I figured if it was a shoot that they'd have KENTA and EVIL beat him up in a final angle or something?

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
He's probably sitting out of a tour or two and coming back in the summer

abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

:darksouls:
also the tenzan thing is basically a confirmed work by how this article is laid out https://www.njpw1972.com/88765

still think it's somewhat weird booking given that their post match promo didn't reference destroying tenzan and having that long of a stretcher job on an otherwise good time fun show heading into an intermission is... a weird booking call

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

abraham linksys posted:

also the tenzan thing is basically a confirmed work by how this article is laid out https://www.njpw1972.com/88765

still think it's somewhat weird booking given that their post match promo didn't reference destroying tenzan and having that long of a stretcher job on an otherwise good time fun show heading into an intermission is... a weird booking call

You're forgetting. HEAT.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
The Jay thing reads like a worked attempt at a write-off.

abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

:darksouls:

MJeff posted:

The Jay thing reads like a worked attempt at a write-off.

reads to me like he's taking shoot time off (maybe due to injury, but also maybe to see his family for a few months and not have to travel - remember, he's been in orlando since lockdown), but i extremely doubt he's quitting this way unless they're like super pissed at him and want to deny him a curtain call. i think maybe if there was more certainty around the state of covid in japan, w/r/t is ability to return, as well as their ability to run shows, they would have worked a larger angle here with him getting an injury and/or kicked out of BC to set up a returning feud, but right now it's easier booking wise to not have that hanging over him

Ganso Bomb
Oct 24, 2005

turn it all around

I have no scoops or whatever but it feels wild to think Jay would actually leave. He's such a keystone of NJPW right now and so young. Dude has been grinding hard for a few years straight now so I could see him wanting a bit of a breather especially during a pandemic making the shows all a bit weird anyway.

Nothing that happened felt like his last goodbye. I feel like he'll be back to either rip a hole through Ishii sometime later this year or leave/get beaten out of Bullet Club.

The Tenzan thing was definitely a little weird because I completely forgot he had been tombstoned by the time they got around to stretchering him out. Just kept saying to myself "because of Mongolian Chops?!" then remembered. For whatever reason, this show solidified me as fully on the O-Khan train. I like that guy.

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

Under the state of emergency, large scale events need to be finished by 8. Not sure what the definition of large scale is but I guess we might be looking at two hour Korakuen shows. (The New Beginning/Castle Attack events aren't in areas hit by the State of Emergency)

Thauros
Jan 29, 2003

if jay white was gone from the company it would be a very un gedo like move to have him drop his last fall to a 45 year old midcarder who's not even in line for a big match without any kind of accompanying angle.

if there were that much drama or tension on the way out you probably just wouldn't have seen him at dash like the elite two years ago

Thauros fucked around with this message at 23:07 on Jan 6, 2021

Strawberry Panda
Nov 4, 2007

Breakfast Defecting, Slow Dick Touching, Root Beer Barreling SwagVP

Thauros posted:

if jay white was gone from the company it would be a very un gedo like move to have him drop his last fall to a 45 year old midcarder who's not even in line for a big match without any kind of accompanying angle.

if there were that much drama or tension on the way out you probably just wouldn't have seen him at dash like the elite two years ago

Exactly.

Also it's all the English announcers talked about last night so it's something they're definitely trying to push.

The Cameo
Jan 20, 2005

Strawberry Panda posted:

Exactly.

Also it's all the English announcers talked about last night so it's something they're definitely trying to push.

Commentary for both languages has no idea what the booking is. They get format sheets on the day of the show that just shows the order of the matches. Mystery guys are even still marked as X on them! Dash just adds a wrinkle of the format sheets being given to the desks as Abe runs down the card.

English commentary is just guessing that the story is Jay’s despondent nature and his suggestion of quitting and knowing that he’s not, because why would the company publicize that he says he’s going to if it was at all real.

Even when they were recording the commentary in post, the guys deliberately avoided seeing any results and recorded as soon as they could after the show to maintain the sense of authentic surprise and excitement that they get being in the building.

Ganso Bomb
Oct 24, 2005

turn it all around

The Cameo posted:

Commentary for both languages has no idea what the booking is. They get format sheets on the day of the show that just shows the order of the matches. Mystery guys are even still marked as X on them! Dash just adds a wrinkle of the format sheets being given to the desks as Abe runs down the card.

English commentary is just guessing that the story is Jay’s despondent nature and his suggestion of quitting and knowing that he’s not, because why would the company publicize that he says he’s going to if it was at all real.

Even when they were recording the commentary in post, the guys deliberately avoided seeing any results and recorded as soon as they could after the show to maintain the sense of authentic surprise and excitement that they get being in the building.

I love everything about this

Chinston Wurchill
Jun 27, 2010

It's not that kind of test.
Ibushi/SANADA should be great but SANADA is rapidly approaching Goto levels of not winning the big one. I can't come up with a nickname as good as Chokey Hirooki, but I'm sure someone funnier than me can manage.

So Close SANADA?
SANAD'OH?

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

That even the Japanese commentators don't know what is going on makes basically EVERYTHING Milano does even better, which I didn't think was possible :3:

The Cameo posted:

I really dig this.

The Cameo
Jan 20, 2005

I mean, obviously Milano knows when he’s going to be involved in a spot, but that’s between the boys laying out the match and him, it wouldn’t surprise me if his fellow commentators found out about ten seconds before some two hundred pound guy was about to come cannonballing over the desk that, uh, they should probably move out of the way. But I have to imagine him crying over things like EVIL’s betrayal, or when he got pissed when SANADA did the Paradise Lock the first time, were legitimate reactions.

This actually reminds me of one of my favorite English commentary moments, during the KoPW ‘18 three way match when Kenny powerbombed Cody through their table and they clearly did not know this spot was coming, because it was literally an exchange of

Kenny: “Move!”
Kevin: “Move? Huh? Move what — OH poo poo”
*Cody goes through the table, poo poo flies everywhere*

Strawberry Panda
Nov 4, 2007

Breakfast Defecting, Slow Dick Touching, Root Beer Barreling SwagVP

The Cameo posted:

drat, didn't realize! Too conditioned by WWE making the commentators drive all the story line beats home.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
It's sometimes a little weird though, because when Jericho debuted, I honestly felt like Kelly sounded fake in selling it, like it was obvious that he knew (and obviously Callis DID know).

Lily Catts
Oct 17, 2012

Show me the way to you
(Heavy Metal)
I was under the impression that that's how the commentary team usually works (our local indie talked about it in their podcast), not knowing the results to be able to commentate authentically, but I guess WWE gotta turn it on its head because they're dumb

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

WWE wants talking points whereas other feds wants the action called

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Cameo
Jan 20, 2005

Yeah, so far as I know, WWE is the only one that does it as a matter of course. Tony sat in on the booking meetings in WCW, but like Heenan or Tenay kept themselves in the dark. JR I believe also refused to find out what was going on ahead of time in his WWE tenure to also maintain that authenticity. And WWE is the only one that gives entire blocks of description to each segment while also having an insane man yelling at you what to say over an earpiece.

But everyone else it’s mostly “you know who goes on when, call what you see”.