Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
Yeah, at most they might get a 'something's gonna happen after the finish in the main, so don't throw to the credits until it happens'.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Decades
Apr 12, 2007

College Slice
I feel like Jay White's got a good amount of Conor McGregor in his character and a retirement tantrum after a big loss fits perfectly in that way.

Strawberry Panda
Nov 4, 2007

Breakfast Defecting, Slow Dick Touching, Root Beer Barreling SwagVP

Decades posted:

I feel like Jay White's got a good amount of Conor McGregor in his character and a retirement tantrum after a big loss fits perfectly in that way.

When Wei Ting from Post Wrestling told John Pollack about the promo, Pollack mentioned it was a Conor thing to do.

The Cameo
Jan 20, 2005

Anyway, they've uploaded the post-show promos! Lemme just copy Rarity's bit for posting these.

Uemura has a death wish. Suzuki is happy to oblige:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wy6McBiAT7s

Kidd wants to go after Shingo, apparently death wishes are running wild in Young Lions. Nagata, well, he's a teacher through and through:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qWVlkgI6wC8

Tsuji wants to go to Mexico. Kojima is PISSED OFF. The Empire is United, but O-Khan wants some drat iconography:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=09jijueuHzM

Suzuki-gun is as fed up with bad refereeing as this board. Tama Tonga knows about three sentences in Japanese:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zv0WQynogms

EVIL wants Okada. Ishii... gives encouragement to... Jay White? :psyduck: Okada blames EVIL for not being Okada last year, instead of the loving Money Clip:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v7X9T0Ws84U

Rocky wants to be the Mayor of Tokyo. SHO wished upon a tree. Wato is... Wato. Tanahashi feels NEVER better than when he senses a challenge. Ibushi's looking to the future. Shingo wants a fight (shocking, I know). And Hiromu is Happy!:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_xABkmjkOaU

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

https://twitter.com/njpw1972/status/1347036804017389570

NJPW saying Tenzan is injured but idk, feels like it could still be a work to have Oka beat Kojima

Thauros
Jan 29, 2003

the article on the english site is what you'd expect from a work but i'm obv less familiar with the domestic one and how they do things

https://www.njpw1972.com/88765

ok the new one is i'm guessing the same thing

"
On January 6’s New Year Dash event, Hiroyoshi Tenzan was stretchered away from the ring following an attack from Great-O-Khan. Tenzan was taken to a nearby hospital where he was examined and treated for a cervical injury. Tenzan’s injury is not thought to be serious, and he will make a full recovery.

Tenzan will undergo another thorough evaluation before he is cleared for further action. We wish him the best in his recovery. "

Thauros fucked around with this message at 06:01 on Jan 7, 2021

Lily Catts
Oct 17, 2012

Show me the way to you
(Heavy Metal)
Ok now I want a babyface Jay vs Ishii match

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

Ishii almost never does backstage interviews so him doing one to encourage Jay is interesting. Jay back to CHAOS would be a good direction

Atillo
Jan 9, 2007

GEORGE W BUSHI posted:

Ishii almost never does backstage interviews so him doing one to encourage Jay is interesting. Jay back to CHAOS would be a good direction

Betraying Okada once is just a Chaos rite of passage but twice, that's making history.

The Cameo
Jan 20, 2005

Okada and the rest of them not trusting Jay at all for obvious reasons while Ishii’s like “no, I think he’s learned his lesson” and being the one guy who believes in him until Jay finally proves himself would be a great story. Like, nobody wants to tag with him, but Ishii will. If he’s surrounded by The Empire or Suzuki-gun or his former BC friends, everyone else kinda stays back, but Ishii just tears into the heels and forces the others to jump in and save Jay too.

Also, to truly squash the rumors, Jay’s current deal - probably signed when he came back from excursion - is seven years, according to Alvarez. And he sounded quite sure about that number. He’s around until late 2024, by that math.

fez_machine
Nov 27, 2004
Ishii is an interesting pairing/rivalry/feud with Jay given how over Ishii is with western fans.

Maybe it's a program for New Japan America (if Bushiroad is betting they can return by the end of next year)?

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Jay as Luger and Ishii as Sting would be a hell of a thing.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
The only backstage comment I remember from Ishii is after he beat Omega's face halfway off and said his head had been up in the clouds and he was pulling him down.

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

MJeff posted:

The only backstage comment I remember from Ishii is after he beat Omega's face halfway off and said his head had been up in the clouds and he was pulling him down.

There's also "I'm a sad man"

The Cameo
Jan 20, 2005

GEORGE W BUSHI posted:

There's also "I'm a sad man"

Dammit :argh:

Burn Down Canberra
Oct 27, 2005

GAME PLANS? We don't need no stinking game plans.

:cry: :cry: :cry:
I think nothing happening last night with Jay has somehow made the angle more intriguing. Come back Jay it will be ok

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.
Jay coming home to Chaos would be like Miss Elizabeth slapping Sheri part 2 for me.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
Jay has burned his bridges in CHAOS, he needs to find friends who will love him for being the dirtbag that he is :hai:

ARMBAR A COP
Nov 24, 2007

Never have I related to anyone so much

Seams
Feb 3, 2005

ROCK HARD

Rarity posted:

Jay has burned his bridges in CHAOS, he needs to find friends who will love him for being the dirtbag that he is :hai:

Jay as Taichi's loyal henchmen?!?!

Lily Catts
Oct 17, 2012

Show me the way to you
(Heavy Metal)
My super crack fantasy booking is he makes up with Tanahashi and they tag together, having a friendly rivalry with Ibushi

Thauros
Jan 29, 2003

looks like the schedule is prob on for now, no cards have been released yet:

we do have a card for tomorrow's NJPW STRONG show tho and there's a heel X in the main:

ROAD to LION'S BREAK: CONTENDERS
January 8th at 10:00PM EST/03:00 AM GMT
unknown venue

Clark Connors vs. Kevin Knight
Rocky Romero vs. The DKC
Brody King and the Riegel Twins vs. JR Kratos, Danny Limelight, and X

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
Someone new debuting on NJPW Strong?

Thauros
Jan 29, 2003

Rarity posted:

Someone new debuting on NJPW Strong?

either that or they're just turning someone like with danny limelight a while back

Lethrom
Jul 12, 2010

Alright I'm asking this because I'm genuinely curious and not to bag on anyone who likes Taichi, but what is Taichi's Gimmick (or just general whole deal).

He's got this huge over the top entrance where he comes out very clearly fake singing to like some 80s karaoke music with an unplugged microphone and a phantom of the opera getup, and he seems really over with the crowd?

Is he just a gigantic loving dork in need of a swirly? Because my gut read of that setup is that he's a gigantic loving dork in need of a swirly. He seems to be too serious to have a gimmick like that, so is this some character trope from Japan that I don't know? Generally I can kind of get what someone's character is supposed to be without any commentary just from their entrance but Taichi just has me confused.

Germansimp
May 28, 2013

Maybe it's Kenta who 'saw during WK' that Mox was in the Strong ring and 'has now returned from Japan to find him' because surely none of this was already taped weeks, if not months ago...

Or maybe Shooter had been brought in since RevPro isn't really working right now and Strong would at least sort of be an excursion.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

Lethrom posted:

Alright I'm asking this because I'm genuinely curious and not to bag on anyone who likes Taichi, but what is Taichi's Gimmick (or just general whole deal).

He's got this huge over the top entrance where he comes out very clearly fake singing to like some 80s karaoke music with an unplugged microphone and a phantom of the opera getup, and he seems really over with the crowd?

Is he just a gigantic loving dork in need of a swirly? Because my gut read of that setup is that he's a gigantic loving dork in need of a swirly. He seems to be too serious to have a gimmick like that, so is this some character trope from Japan that I don't know? Generally I can kind of get what someone's character is supposed to be without any commentary just from their entrance but Taichi just has me confused.

He's a guy who was really into musical theatre in high school but failed to get anywhere with it so now he's bitter and jaded and he wound up in pro wrestling which meant he could keep up the musical theatre dork but he doesn't want to try because he's scared of failing again even though he's actually really good at it and could be really successful if he made the effort so the only thing holding him back is his own insecurity

tl;dr - he's Gackt

Thauros
Jan 29, 2003

Lethrom posted:

someone in the last thread had the a similar take, and as i told them it's a visual kei gimmick. google that term or gackt if you're unfamiliar. it may not be your thing but the nicknames/entrance/clothing/theme all make coherent aesthetic sense. also bear in mind when it started he was a lower card dipshit junior heel who was usually greeted with chants of "TAICHI KAERE" (taichi go home). he's gradually moved up the card and gotten over since moving to heavyweight and getting legitimately really good.

Lethrom
Jul 12, 2010

Rarity posted:

tl;dr - he's Gackt

Thauros posted:

someone in the last thread had the a similar take, and as i told them it's a visual kei gimmick. google that term or gackt if you're unfamiliar.

Ahhh okay, that's what I was missing. I could tell he was going hard for SOME kinda theme, I just didn't know what that theme was. Thanks

boxcarhobo
Jun 23, 2005

idk how you can watch that man rip his pants off to get fired up and think "what a dork" smh

e: also if you're just now getting into new japan in the last year, you're missing the key piece to his entire gimmick which is his valet Miho Abe, the #1 talent in all of new japan

Power Windows
Dec 29, 2004

Brasky used to ride upon a steed, perchance to spy a lady.

Fast food, Coors Light, and Twitter

That is a sad man.

Lethrom
Jul 12, 2010

boxcarhobo posted:

idk how you can watch that man rip his pants off to get fired up and think "what a dork" smh

e: also if you're just now getting into new japan in the last year, you're missing the key piece to his entire gimmick which is his valet Miho Abe, the #1 talent in all of new japan

I bought a month for WK in 2020 and bought a month for WK this year, might keep the sub going though because I want to see Ishii destroy some people.

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

Lethrom posted:

I bought a month for WK in 2020 and bought a month for WK this year, might keep the sub going though because I want to see Ishii destroy some people.

I take it you have seen G1 Ishii, because if not you've missed the very apex of wrestling.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Lethrom posted:

Cerebral Bore posted:

I take it you have seen G1 Ishii, because if not you've missed the very apex of wrestling.

https://njpwworld.com/p/s_series_00211_2_5

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

I started watching this and made a noise that woke my girlfriend up

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe
I still maintain that Ishii's 2019 G1 is the best stretch of matches that I've seen from any wrestler ever.

Procrastinator
Aug 16, 2009

what?

Cerebral Bore posted:

I still maintain that Ishii's 2019 G1 is the best stretch of matches that I've seen from any wrestler ever.

i think i prefer 2018 culminating in the victory over kenny, but he's just been great for a long time

Lily Catts
Oct 17, 2012

Show me the way to you
(Heavy Metal)

Lethrom posted:

Fun fact: Ishii and Taichi work really well against each other

Ganso Bomb
Oct 24, 2005

turn it all around

Lily Catts posted:

Fun fact: Ishii and Taichi work really well against each other

Ishii v Taichi in the NJ Cup a couple years back is what turned me around on Taichi. Lots of great wrestling, story telling, and character growth in one match.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Cerebral Bore posted:

Every single match a legit MOTYC, an absolutely incredible display of not just consistency but consistency at the highest possible level.