Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AFewBricksShy
Jun 19, 2003

of a full load.

About 25 years ago they redid that buildings interiors to turn it into either apartments or condos, it was loving awful. I’m pretty sure it was the elevator operator who started selling tshirts with “the dreaded Drake!” on them.
You could easily spend 90 minutes waiting for the elevator because walking up the death trap staircases with tools and material was pretty much impossible after 4 floors.

The views from the penthouses were gorgeous though and it is an amazing looking building. But holy poo poo it sucked making deliveries there.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Drake_Hotel_(Philadelphia)

It was also rumored to be the place where they shot the exteriors of Dana’s apartment building in ghostbusters but that’s not true. It does have similar architecture though.

AFewBricksShy has a new favorite as of 03:40 on Jan 19, 2022

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

This has the Myspace angle going on.

Let’s see what it looks like from the street…

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

I got a letter from the government the other day
opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

I think every city in north america has one neo-gothic skyscraper that everybody thinks was the building in ghostbusters

Here's ours:

Cobalt-60
Oct 11, 2016

by Azathoth

Platystemon posted:

This has the Myspace angle going on.

Let’s see what it looks like from the street…

Ah, NOW I recognize it. I always thought the design (generic rectangle, then customized) was odd. Wondered how people got into and out of those little rooms sticking out.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

AFewBricksShy posted:

It was also rumored to be the place where they shot the exteriors of Dana’s apartment building in ghostbusters but that’s not true. It does have similar architecture though.

who started those rumors because that was 55 Central Park West, a fairly famous and historic building in Manhattan lol

AFewBricksShy
Jun 19, 2003

of a full load.

No idea but I’ve heard it for years.
E: been thinking about it a bit more. I definitely heard it pre-internet and have heard it as recently as this year but it’s from people that aren’t giant rear end nerds about ghostbusters (unlike me) or don’t give a poo poo about New York architecture (probably a lot more) and haven’t looked up anything since they first heard it from their friends cousin in 1992 because they don’t go on forums that they’ve been part of for 19 years.
They just heard it once, took it as fact, and bring it up as a fact when someone mentions the Drake.

AFewBricksShy has a new favorite as of 01:04 on Jan 20, 2022

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

every city in america has a building that has local rumors that its the one King Kong climbed up in the climax of the film King Kong

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Alaois posted:

every city in america has a building that has local rumors that its the one King Kong climbed up in the climax of the film King Kong

King Kong wasn't real lmao xd.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
posting pictures of Hogwarts is cheating

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

The Bloop posted:

posting pictures of Hogwarts mar-a-lago is cheating

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

IBroughttheFunk
Sep 28, 2012

Ooooh, neat. Where's this?

koshmar
Oct 22, 2009

i'm not here

this isn't happening

IBroughttheFunk posted:

Ooooh, neat. Where's this?

Looks like Jing'an Temple in Shang Hai

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jing%27an_Temple

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

Livraria Lello, a bookstore in Portugal

DicktheCat
Feb 15, 2011

I would be scared to even sneeze in there. It's so fancy, the cops might get me.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

DicktheCat posted:

I would be scared to even sneeze in there. It's so fancy, the cops might get me.

there's a very real small part of me always anxious in lavish places just because of the fear of somehow some way oafishly loving up and becoming a cartoon southern hick all 'aw gee I sure am sorry I done wrecked your fancy garden by falling rear end first into the fountain and somehow making it explode'.

Like, it's not a crippling fear, but it is a little voice in my head.

deoju
Jul 11, 2004

All the pieces matter.
Nap Ghost
Here's a video with pictures of what is purportedly Vladimir Putin's palace.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OjYl1xvssJY&t=517s
Supposedly $1.3 billion, and paid for with poo poo tons of bribes.

The Kremlin denies it.

Poohs Packin
Jan 13, 2019

Guardian Building, Detroit, MI

Poohs Packin
Jan 13, 2019

Atrium at Detroit Institute of Art

"The Detroit Industry Murals (1932–1933) are a series of frescoes by the Mexican artist Diego Rivera, consisting of twenty-seven panels depicting industry at the Ford Motor Company and in Detroit. Together they surround the interior Rivera Court in the Detroit Institute of Arts. Painted between 1932 and 1933, they were considered by Rivera to be his most successful work.[1] On 23 April 2014, the Detroit Industry Murals were designated by the Department of Interior as a National Historic Landmark.[2]

The two main panels on the North and South walls depict laborers working at Ford Motor Company's River Rouge Plant. Other panels depict advances made in various scientific fields, such as medicine and new technology. The series of murals, taken as a whole, expresses the idea that all actions and ideas are one."

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

detroit probably had the best looking buildings in this country per capita and now it's definitely seen better days. Breaks your heart. But it's still trying, god bless them

Mr. Fall Down Terror
Jan 24, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
detroit had a really phenomenal rise and fall - it grew extremely fast as the effective birthplace of the automotive industry in america, and then declined just as quickly due to postindustrial suburbanization. downtown detroit got hollowed out where the surrounding region is still full of decently wealthy suburbs. its ironic, detroit has one of the best remaining collections of early-mid 20th century skyscrapers, because the city fell apart so hard in the late 20th century that there was little pressure to demolish and redevelop the city

detroit IS coming back, the big hurdle now is just the god awful climate and the relative lack of reasons to rebuild a substantial downtown. for all the pioneers looking for cheap land to build houses on though, detroit is a good long term opportunity (if you can stand the god awful climate)

DicktheCat
Feb 15, 2011

sexpig by night posted:

there's a very real small part of me always anxious in lavish places just because of the fear of somehow some way oafishly loving up and becoming a cartoon southern hick all 'aw gee I sure am sorry I done wrecked your fancy garden by falling rear end first into the fountain and somehow making it explode'.

Like, it's not a crippling fear, but it is a little voice in my head.

I'll be real, same.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

The only place I ever feel awkward is in a woman's toilet because I can never be sure which soaps are actually to be used and which are there for ??? Same with hand towels.

lord funk
Feb 16, 2004

This temple is indeed badass. One of the things that stuck with me is the giant wooden pillars holding the main temple up. Each one is just one tree trunk perfectly, straight, and tall as balls. You can kind of see them here:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jing%27an_Temple#/media/File:Jing%27an_Temple_stairs_carving.jpg

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

buildings.... are cool

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

Gran Hotel Ciudad de México, Mexico City

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

Fuckin' beautiful

In a similar vein,

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

Keep the guys from mayhem away from that place

Buttchocks
Oct 21, 2020

No, I like my hat, thanks.

The village cleric only knows flesh-to-stone.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

There are a lot worse places to be petrified

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

The Flour Moth
May 22, 2001

WHAT HATH PONIES WROUGHT

drat!

That's gorgeous. Where is it?

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Feels like a space colony

Zil
Jun 4, 2011

Satanically Summoned Citrus

Depending on what part of the image I focus on, I sometimes view the concrete floor more as a waterway than a walking path.

I want to go there and breathe in what I assume is very fresh air.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

Longwood gardens is pretty as hell

The Bloop posted:

Feels like a space colony

Every nice greenhouse I like to think is a recreation area on a space station

Chas McGill
Oct 29, 2010

loves Fat Philippe
I like the kinda post-apocalyptic nature-reclaims feel of the conservatory at the Barbican

https://theculturetrip.com/europe/united-kingdom/england/london/articles/barbican-conservatory-a-peek-inside-londons-secret-garden/

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

The future is green brutalism. All others need not apply!!!!!!!!!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zil
Jun 4, 2011

Satanically Summoned Citrus

Inzombiac posted:

The future is green brutalism. All others need not apply!!!!!!!!!

I am fine with this.