Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

Mr. Fall Down Terror posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F84FAYwSII8

this building is fun for a couple reasons. aside from being an aforementioned oddity in his career, it is not a very tall building- 20ish stories, in a pretty nowhere town - so the tower stands out as being one of a few buildings of equivalent height in the otherwise midsized regional city. the tower is also an example of artistic flourish, designed decades before but unbuilt, and then constructed in a time when ostentation in architecture meant flat, clean lines with expensive materials (think the Mad Men aesthetic). Price Tower, on the other hand, is a positive riot of flourish, decoration, and ornamentation. still tastefully done, but definitely not austere and cold. on top of that, it has built ins - built ins! - in a commercial building, which is pretty wild given how often commercial properties are renovated to be up to date but also cheap. yeah, its a neato building, and if for any reason you ever find yourself passing through northern oklahoma or southern kansas, swing by and take a look

What kills me is that you could plunk that sucker down next to any of the 20-ish story tall apartment blocks in my city that were built in the late 90s-early 2000s and nobody would give it a second look. It's like he perfectly predicted:

Mr. Fall Down Terror posted:

if you're looking at a building and you're thinking "this is trying to remind me of something, but it mostly sucks... and it has a whiff of 90s whimsicality" then that's raw postmodernism, baby

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

Kirk Vikernes posted:

I'm feeling a bit turgid.

That's just the juffo-wup filling your fibers. Get some violent action in, you'll be fine.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe
I live in the toboggan hill

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

John Dounce posted:

Meet the Bierpinsel ("beer brush") in Berlin, a 70s brutalist sci-fi tower. It used to house a club and a restaurant, now it's abandoned. It was on the market for like 3 million euros a few years ago, I think they're planning on using it for office space now :(

Goddamn, is that brutalist or is it cassette futurist? (or can it be both)

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe
I've been out of skiing for a long time, so I guess there's artificial grass that can be used as a ski slope now? Cause they sure don't show the building with any snow on it on the website.

Does it even snow in Copenhagen or does it get that gulf-stream moderated climate like the rest of Western Europe

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe
My dumb rear end thought those were succulents

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

It looks cool but I don't want to have to wear an arrest harness just to grab a copy of Typee

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

Pleads posted:

Look the cookie cutter hotels on Banff Trail may be boring and ugly but you're slightly less likely to get stabbed at them after a Stamps game than the dingy dive bars they replaced.

Are you more likely to get hotel stabbed in the Banff Trail ones or in the motels on 16th in Montgomery

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

Is this the Blue Waffle I've heard so much about, I don't see the fuss

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

Laserjet 4P posted:

The Evoluon:

A+ would constantly be on my guard for when the building operator screams "Do you want to go FASTER??"