Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I like cool buildings, and I bet other people like cool buildings too. Post pictures of cool buildings you find so that other people can see them and say "that's a cool-rear end building"

My cool building today is the former ministry of transport HQ in Tbilisi, Georgia.

It is hella cool especially given when and where it was built. Also not entirely impractical given that it is built on a big slope so it allows access from both the top and the bottom of the slope.

I love how it just rises out of the forest.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

There's birds living in sufficiently large big box stores so yes, probably.

It is pretty cool, reminds me of the science wing from Control, would be nice if it could have comparably tall trees.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Huh, there is no way I would have guessed it was on the roof of a building from the eye level photos. Reminds me a lot of some of the 60s and 70s developments in london which are similar concrete park style things with lots of water features.

I really like the concrete and greenery aesthetic generally, blends in well with the sort of brown stains concrete tends to accumulate after a while.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Queen anne revival is still unbelievably tacky and new money but I do still like it regardless :v:

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Milo and POTUS posted:

On to something much holier, the Temppeliaukio Church in Helsinki is pretty neat. Instead of flying buttresses and ornate features you'd associate with more southerly (and -catholic-) churches, this Lutheran number is built into the rock itself and it's definitely interesting to look at. Peter would be proud

It's also interesting in that it doesn't have a big "HELLO YES I AM A CHURCH" sign on it anywhere. Normally you would expect either a steeple or a big ol cross somewhere that you can see for miles. I would probably think it was a car park looking at it from the outside.

Also ^^ yes the long lines building is great and I love that they just lifted the exterior (and extrapolated it to the interior) design whole cloth for Control.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Man that thing fucks with my eyes, like internal volumes should not be that big.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Architectural thritty (three-titty)

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Hell yeah I like those old fashioned mid-high rise buildings, not sure what you call it, it's got classical elements but it's a lot nicer than palladianism.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

The scale of the tunnels didn't quite click until I saw the small car driving through the base of one. We have covered alleys in the UK but never seen anything that grand.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Pretty rad huset ya got there.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I have read all of that but I still just see concrete and go "that's brutalism" because architecture words are too complicated.

I know this is because they are trying to communicate a very complicated and specific series of ideas, but big concrete make brain happy that brutalism yeah

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

It snows in the UK sometimes, I would assume copenhagen gets it worse than we do being further east.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Fuckin gmod rp map looking thing.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I also like it, it just looks like it was made with the default source textures which is funny to me.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Don't put the wood in the wood bulding built in a wood.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I think it is photographed not quite dead on.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Local one that I meant to post last year but forgot:

Used to be a coal bunker for the steelworks and was sadly demolished last year when the government stripped the preservation order because it was in the way of some developer or other.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

The steelworks is largely defunct so it wasn't in use, it was just a cool part of the local skyline, would have liked to see it preserved but the government are oiks. There's plenty of land nearby so I think it's just that they didn't want to pay to preserve it.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Being a big thing you can see from some distance away. We have plenty of those and a lot of them are less pleasant to look at and also have less history or meaning attached to them.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

BigFactory posted:

Ah, the wonders of coal.

The town was built around the industry, it's a gigantic part of the local history, a lot of people even today are still very attached to it, there's a reason the preservation order was put in place to begin with.

That same name is on the sydney harbour bridge because the steel was made in that factory, genuinely it is a better monument than most of the actual monuments we have.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Those silos are gorgeous.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Like sitting inside a guitar I imagine.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I like that someone built the nice gothic revival courthouse out of solidified blood. Ours is a normal manky brown.

Very jealous of your nice art deco-ey towers though.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Built in the 50's originally to service torpedo boats apparently.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Well looking at the bottom it looks like it just goes all over the place, as usual. Though I presume they can turn it off also.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Dabir posted:

So you're saying we should put giant funnels around the roofs of our skyscrapers

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Yeah there's a couple of places that have done that with their old gasometers, makes more sense if you have a nice brick ones but round buildings are cool too.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Same but I already live next to a giant petrochemical site and I don't even get to live in a cool house.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I looked it up hoping to find an explanation but instead:

quote:

The principal building, the ubosot is an all-white building with fragments of mirrored glass embedded in the building's exterior. The ubosot embodies design elements from classic Thai architecture such as the three-tiered roof and abundant use of Naga serpents.[3] "Inside the temple, the decor swiftly moves from pristine white to fiery and bewildering. Murals depict swirling orange flames and demon faces, interspersed with Western idols such as Michael Jackson, Neo from The Matrix, Freddy Krueger, and a T-800 series Terminator. Images of nuclear warfare, terrorist attacks such as the World Trade Center attack, and oil pumps hammer home the destructive impact that humans have had on earth. The presence of Harry Potter, Superman, and Hello Kitty confuses the message somewhat, but the overall moral is clear: people are wicked.[6]

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

angry birds did 9/11

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Pookah posted:

That cool house with the giant central tower reminded me of a very short-lived insane house some rich English guy build in the late 18th/early 19th century. All I could remember about it was that it was "Something Abbey" and it had a giant tower, so I googled "abbey huge tower fell down".
The very first result got me "Fonthill Abbey"

Unfortunately it didn't survive long enough to be photographed, but the paintings/engravings of it are just insane.

The wikipedia entry is absolutely worth a read - here are a couple of highlights

love too live in anor londo

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

dazzle camo for motorists

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

There are some very nice brick gasometers in vienna.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

They're not especially common in towns built after the widescale adoption of natural gas or electricity because they were more necessary when they had to produce the gas from coal and store it locally. Nowadays you generally put the giant tank of gas somewhere else and pipe it in under pressure.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

time for crab

try jumping, but hole

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I jumped down it without the covenant of artorias and died

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

That really looks like a maintenence nightmare.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

SwissDonkey posted:

So mad my dicks bout to fly off

I agree, it looks loving awesome but it also looks like GB which can't work out how to house people and farm at the same time. Gimme that poo poo in rural Australia and we're talking

It says copenhagen on the side.

e: which isn't in gb, to clarify

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Reminds me of the things they made to empty rail cars quickly.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lPiY_m3i3Ns&t=94s

Really hope yer man there is wearing hearing protection though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Windows constructed with the patterns on the glass are usually called leaded windows https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Leadlight they are made by sticking lots of bits of glass together with lead.

So you would want diamond leaded windows. Weird to see one in that orientation though, it's usually done with the diamonds facing the other way.

OwlFancier has a new favorite as of 09:00 on Mar 10, 2023