Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Orbs
Apr 1, 2009
~Liberation~

Killingyouguy! posted:

My dad says you couldn't, so I guess we're gonna have to have our dads fight
I look forward to a good old-fashioned dad-off.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Prurient Squid
Jul 21, 2008

Tiddy cat Buddha improving your day.

Orbs
Apr 1, 2009
~Liberation~

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

My dream job is proselytizing aliens. Can't wait for them to show up for real.

Orbs
Apr 1, 2009
~Liberation~

Gaius Marius posted:

My dream job is proselytizing aliens. Can't wait for them to show up for real.
My dream job is being a proselytizing alien. Can't wait for them to show up for real, so I can convert humans to their awesome space religions.

Unrelated but made me chuckle:

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

I have objective* proof that aliens are a. buddhists and b. extremely large and pretty

Source: https://www.wisdomlib.org/buddhism/book/the-lotus-sutra/d/doc62800.html/

* if lotus sutra not infallable how come soka gakkai? checkmate shingonists

Orbs
Apr 1, 2009
~Liberation~

Nessus posted:

I have objective* proof that aliens are a. buddhists and b. extremely large and pretty

Source: https://www.wisdomlib.org/buddhism/book/the-lotus-sutra/d/doc62800.html/

* if lotus sutra not infallable how come soka gakkai? checkmate shingonists
Thank you, I haven't even finished the first sentence and I'm already in love, lol

quote:

Thereupon, the Buddha Śākyamuni emitted a ray of light from his topknot (uṣṇīṣa), the mark of a great person, and also from the tuft of white hair between his eyebrows (ūrṇā), thus illuminating all the buddha worlds

Prurient Squid
Jul 21, 2008

I haven't read anything but Buddhism did have a interdimensional secret agent energy to it the last time I examined it.

Pershing
Feb 21, 2010

John "Black Jack" Pershing
Hard Fucking Core

If anyone can, please pray for me and mine today. Just feeling low down and hopeless and resigned. Thank you.

Prurient Squid
Jul 21, 2008

I have done.

Azathoth
Apr 3, 2001

Prayed for you as well. I hope that things turn around for you soon.

BattyKiara
Mar 17, 2009

Pershing posted:

If anyone can, please pray for me and mine today. Just feeling low down and hopeless and resigned. Thank you.

Of course I will pray for you, friend goon

Killingyouguy!
Sep 8, 2014

I could not bring myself to be one, but pagan reconstructionism is Neat

But it's real fuckin sick how apparently the only people interested in reconstructionisming the paganism of my particular heritage are very very racist lol

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

Killingyouguy! posted:

I could not bring myself to be one, but pagan reconstructionism is Neat

But it's real fuckin sick how apparently the only people interested in reconstructionisming the paganism of my particular heritage are very very racist lol
Asatru? Or uh, further east

Killingyouguy!
Sep 8, 2014

Nessus posted:

Asatru? Or uh, further east

Further east...

Prurient Squid
Jul 21, 2008

Orbs
Apr 1, 2009
~Liberation~

Pershing posted:

I can relate, so if you want them, I am adding my own weird prayers to help you and yours. We hope you find hope and purpose again.

One of my favorite scenes in the series :love:

Prurient Squid
Jul 21, 2008

"17 Remember what the Amalekites did to you along the way when you came out of Egypt. 18 When you were weary and worn out, they met you on your journey and attacked all who were lagging behind; they had no fear of God. 19 When the Lord your God gives you rest from all the enemies around you in the land he is giving you to possess as an inheritance, you shall blot out the name of Amalek from under heaven. Do not forget!"

Ah, so that's why they hated the Amalekites so much.

Killingyouguy!
Sep 8, 2014

The whole "I'm writing this down now so I don't forget to destroy my enemies later" thing has big mean girls burn book vibes

Prurient Squid
Jul 21, 2008

There's another line which says that if two men are fighting and the wife of one punches the other man in the dick you have to chop her hand off. Deuteronomy is rough.

Killingyouguy!
Sep 8, 2014

I love how God has to inscribe "don't kill", the most basic rear end rule in the world, into a stone and then like 2 books later is all that poo poo. Where did it come from, because I don't think God wrote that one on a stone

(I know the answer is culture and tradition, but I mean if you're doing biblical literalism)

Prurient Squid
Jul 21, 2008

God is the real killingyouguy.

Shaddak
Nov 13, 2011

Crossposting from the crab thread:

LITERALLY A BIRD
Sep 27, 2008

I knew you were trouble
when you flew in

Shaddak posted:

Keromaru5
Dec 28, 2012

Pictured: The Wolf Of Gubbio (probably)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund

Killingyouguy! posted:

I love how God has to inscribe "don't kill", the most basic rear end rule in the world, into a stone and then like 2 books later is all that poo poo. Where did it come from, because I don't think God wrote that one on a stone

(I know the answer is culture and tradition, but I mean if you're doing biblical literalism)
One technicality is that the Commandment is about murder, not necessarily just killing.

The other thing is how extrabiblical tradition handles things. IIRC, the Talmud tends to come up with very strict criteria for a lot of the harsher penalties--the the point where a Sanhedrin that had one execution in a generation was a "bloody Sanhedrin." Meanwhile the Church Fathers--whether the more literalist Antiochians or more allegorical Alexandrians--tended to view the Sermon on the Mount as taking precedence, so the ancient canons have penances even for killing in war and self-defense.

Shaddak posted:

Wow, I guess the short story I've been shopping around about carcinization applying to baked goods wasn't the stupidest thing I could have come up with.

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

Shaddak posted:

The moneychangers in the Temple sure could attest to how crabby Jesus could be.

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

i, claw deus

Organza Quiz
Nov 7, 2009

Prurient Squid posted:

There's another line which says that if two men are fighting and the wife of one punches the other man in the dick you have to chop her hand off. Deuteronomy is rough.

It feels super weird to me to see you to read through the bare words of this particular translation of the torah that you're reading and try to have thoughts about it without reading it alongside any of the massive amount of commentary, but maybe that's just the being raised jewish speaking.

There's just so much missing though! I've never even seen a copy that didn't come with commentary notes to be read alongside it. I really think you'd get more out of it with that.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

Organza Quiz posted:

It feels super weird to me to see you to read through the bare words of this particular translation of the torah that you're reading and try to have thoughts about it without reading it alongside any of the massive amount of commentary, but maybe that's just the being raised jewish speaking.

There's just so much missing though! I've never even seen a copy that didn't come with commentary notes to be read alongside it. I really think you'd get more out of it with that.
I think most Christians outside of divinity school just take the text itself without consulting any commentary or interpretation, although I believe OP is not in the 'I'll go with either the literal reading or a version of the literal reading that supports what I think already' camp that ah, many Americans are in.

Organza Quiz
Nov 7, 2009

Nessus posted:

I think most Christians outside of divinity school just take the text itself without consulting any commentary or interpretation, although I believe OP is not in the 'I'll go with either the literal reading or a version of the literal reading that supports what I think already' camp that ah, many Americans are in.

I know and it's always so weird to me! Like when I was in primary school we would learn about one sentence per week, because there was so much to talk about with every single sentence. It's not intended to be taken by itself, especially outside its original language. I guess I just don't know what people hope to get out of it (other than extremely literal literalists who just want to be literal I guess).

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

Organza Quiz posted:

I know and it's always so weird to me! Like when I was in primary school we would learn about one sentence per week, because there was so much to talk about with every single sentence. It's not intended to be taken by itself, especially outside its original language. I guess I just don't know what people hope to get out of it (other than extremely literal literalists who just want to be literal I guess).
I realized here that I don't really know myself and I would welcome insight from our Christian brothers and sisters. The best I could think of myself from prior knowledge was 'much of the New Testament doesn't make much sense without a grounding in the Old Testament,' but that in turn seems to largely be citations about prophecies Jesus fulfilled.

Which seem irrelevant to his moral teachings as such, but, well

Keromaru5
Dec 28, 2012

Pictured: The Wolf Of Gubbio (probably)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund

Nessus posted:

I realized here that I don't really know myself and I would welcome insight from our Christian brothers and sisters. The best I could think of myself from prior knowledge was 'much of the New Testament doesn't make much sense without a grounding in the Old Testament,' but that in turn seems to largely be citations about prophecies Jesus fulfilled.

Which seem irrelevant to his moral teachings as such, but, well
Well, this is where Typology comes in, and also my bringing up the Alexandrians: figures and events in the OT are read as foreshadowings of events in the NT. This turns up even within the NT itself:

- The conflict between Sarah and Hagar allegorically represent the 1st-century tension between Jews and Christians.
- Jesus refers to the "sign of Jonah" in talking about his death and resurrection.
- Melchizedek represents Christ as the Great High Priest, as do other people who turn up basically out of nowhere, like Elihu in the Book of Job and the man who appears with the three youths in the fire.
- So does Joseph, in his suffering and subsequent glorification.
- The Burning Bush and the Ark of the Covenant are types of the Virgin Mary.
- The Flood and the ritual purifications point toward baptism.

And so on.

Then you have other, more straightforwardly allegorical readings, like St. Gregory of Nyssa's Life of Moses, which is partly concerned with drawing spiritual meaning out of the Exodus narrative. Literal circumcision in the Torah becomes spiritual circumcision in Paul's letters. I'm pretty sure someone's written spiritual interpretations of all the ritual commandments, too. And, of course, there's the three angels that visit Abraham as an image of the Trinity.

And beyond that, there's the view that it was the Logos most people were interacting with throughout the Bible--some icons even depict Jesus in the Garden or together with Mary in the Burning Bush.

quiggy
Aug 7, 2010

[in Russian] Oof.

Squizzle posted:

i, claw deus

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

Keromaru5 posted:

And beyond that, there's the view that it was the Logos most people were interacting with throughout the Bible--some icons even depict Jesus in the Garden or together with Mary in the Burning Bush.

That’s in the language ἀγγέλου is messenger or carrier and the Hebrew and Persian it’s related to are also mounted message carrier or to send or message.

Angels are messengers or carriers of the logos. The word angel implies that presence of the Logos.

Civilized Fishbot
Apr 3, 2011
From what I can perceive - and this sounds like criticism but isn't meant that way, and I only see others doing it this way because it's so easy to see myself doing it this way - a lot of what modern Christian readers seem to get out of the "Old Testament" is that they can smirk at the wacky and violent mythology, and generally alien storytelling conventions, of another culture. But they can do it without feeling the sort of cultural-imperialist guilt that a well-meaning person might get from mocking the Quran or Native American mythology, because really it's *their* culture, it's in the Christian Bible after all, and without feeling too sacrilegious about it, because this is actually just the ugly part of the Bible that got turned upside down by Jesus.

I think people also do this with Greek and Nordic mythology which are seen as inherited by the whole of modern Western/White culture - but in those cases there are far far fewer Greek cultists or old-way Vikings who might be offended by a superficial and snarky engagement with their sacred stories.

Civilized Fishbot fucked around with this message at 18:54 on Mar 28, 2024

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

Bar Ran Dun posted:

That’s in the language ἀγγέλου is messenger or carrier and the Hebrew and Persian it’s related to are also mounted message carrier or to send or message.

Angels are messengers or carriers of the logos. The word angel implies that presence of the Logos.

this is also true in the semitic layers: מלאך is from a root all about messages, transmission, etc

LITERALLY A BIRD
Sep 27, 2008

I knew you were trouble
when you flew in

Civilized Fishbot posted:

From what I can perceive - and this sounds like criticism but isn't meant that way, and I only see others doing it this way because it's so easy to see myself doing it this way - a lot of what modern Christian readers seem to get out of the "Old Testament" is that they can smirk at the wacky and violent mythology, and generally alien storytelling conventions, of another culture. But they can do it without feeling the sort of cultural-imperialist guilt that a well-meaning person might get from mocking the Quran or Native American mythology, because really it's *their* culture, it's in the Christian Bible after all, and without feeling too sacrilegious about it, because this is actually just the ugly part of the Bible that got turned upside down by Jesus.

I think people also do this with Greek and Nordic mythology which are seen as inherited by the whole of modern Western/White culture - but in those cases there are far far fewer Greek cultists or old-way Vikings who might be offended by a superficial and snarky engagement with their sacred stories.

Paul Tillich posted:

This is the world of the myth, great and strange, always changing but fundamentally the same: man’s ultimate concern symbolized in divine figures and actions. Myths are symbols of faith combined in stories about divine-human encounters.

Myths are always present in every act of faith, because the language of faith is the symbol. They are also attacked, criticized and transcended in each of the great religions of mankind. The reason for this criticism is the very nature of the myth. It uses material from our ordinary experience. It puts the stories of the gods into the framework of time and space although it belongs to the nature of the ultimate to be beyond time and space.

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

As I’ve gotten older and less idealistic there are large parts of the OT that I’ve identified with the stories and poems much more than I did when I was younger.

The anger of the palmist at his enemies, the losses in many stories, even desire all those very human emotions and feelings. The trying to find meaning and yearning for a place and purpose and community.

It’s more human as I get older and so are the mythological stories of other cultures. Another way to say that is that I see angels every where in mythology as I get older. The Logos in all the stories.

There’s a real excellent episode S4 E22 of northern exposure, Kaddish for Uncle Manny. It marks the turning point in the show where Joel transitions from outsider to community member. His uncle dies and the community attempts to gather the necessary Jews for him to sit shiva and say the Kaddish. As they near ten he rejects this and decides that the meaning is to be in community. The episode ends with him saying Kaddish with the collected community who are each remembering those they’ve lost in the manner of thier own traditions.

That’s the place I’m coming to with the OT and really most mythology I encounter anymore. I also feel it’s the real core of an honest monotheism. Accepting All in One means accepting the diversity and differences in all the stories we each participate within.

LITERALLY A BIRD
Sep 27, 2008

I knew you were trouble
when you flew in

That's beautiful BRD.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Azathoth
Apr 3, 2001

It's also worth remembering that a lot of people antisemitically reject the Hebrew Bible specifically because of its Jewishness. We can definitely point out that there are some really lovely views baked into it that reflect the patriarchal culture of the time and we can point out the parts that reflect a late Bronze Age / early Iron Age view are fundamentally alien to us in our society, but we need to be really careful when doing so that we aren't perpetuating antisemitic readings while doing so. Jesus was Jewish and we have to understand what he did during the Incarnation through that lens or we won't really be understanding it at all.