Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

LITERALLY A BIRD
Sep 27, 2008

I knew you were trouble
when you flew in

Speaking of that, I began reading "On the Origin of Satan," one of Elaine Pagels' books, and a lot of the first chapter is about the way the Gospels underplayed the Roman involvement in Jesus being put to death in favor of emphasizing the Jewish role. This had a lot to do with Jesus having been executed for sedition and the people writing about him trying to avoid the same charges from the same people, but two thousand years later to an uncritical literal reader it just seems like a strong current of anti-Semitism in the book itself.

Elaine Pagels posted:

Many New Testament scholars who have analyzed the account of Jesus’ appearance before the Sanhedrin agree that Mark (or his predecessors) probably wrote the first version to emphasize his primary point: that Pilate merely ratified a previous Jewish verdict, and carried out a death sentence that he himself neither ordered nor approved—but a sentence unanimously pronounced by the entire leadership of the Jewish people.33 This does not mean, however, that Mark is motivated by malice toward the Jewish leaders. Indeed, Mark stops far short of the extent to which Matthew, Luke, and John will go to blame the Jewish leaders for the crucifixion, although the tendency to blame them had already begun before Mark’s time and had its effect on his narrative. Nevertheless, Mark and his fellow believers, as followers of a convicted criminal, knew that such allegiance would arouse suspicion and invite reprisals. Roman magistrates had already arrested and executed several prominent members of the movement, including Peter and Paul. It is no wonder, then, that, as one historian says, Mark wanted

quote:

to emphasize the culpability of the Jewish nation for the death of Jesus, particularly of its leaders.… [Mark’s] tendency was defensive rather than aggressive. He was concerned to avoid mentioning anything that would provoke Roman antagonism towards, or even suspicion of, the ideals for which he stood.… The evangelist therefore contrived to conceal that Jesus had been condemned and executed on a charge of sedition.34

I would imagine for some people this participates in bias toward reading the Old Testament with some of the attitudes you have encountered, Fishbot.

LITERALLY A BIRD fucked around with this message at 20:34 on Mar 28, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NomChompsky
Sep 17, 2008

I didn't expect a Maundy Thursday service to be as gripping as it was toward the end. Maybe it's just because I'm very new to Christian faith and practice being presented in this way but the end where the lights go out and everyone just sits in darkness really brought a feeling of dreadful trepidation that only sort of comes across in the reading of the Gospels.

That was intense! Church is cool.

Valiantman
Jun 25, 2011

Ways to circumvent the Compact #6: Find a dreaming god and affect his dreams so that they become reality. Hey, it's not like it's you who's affecting the world. Blame the other guy for irresponsibly falling asleep.

NomChompsky posted:

I didn't expect a Maundy Thursday service to be as gripping as it was toward the end. Maybe it's just because I'm very new to Christian faith and practice being presented in this way but the end where the lights go out and everyone just sits in darkness really brought a feeling of dreadful trepidation that only sort of comes across in the reading of the Gospels.

That was intense! Church is cool.

Psalm 22?
Stripping the altar and other parts of the church of all extra decorations?
Quenching the candles of the apostles?
Organ music stops and the last hymn is just sung?
No send-away words and people just silently get up and leave from the dark and barren church at the end of the hymn?

Yeah, extremely cool.

NomChompsky
Sep 17, 2008

Valiantman posted:

Psalm 22?
Stripping the altar and other parts of the church of all extra decorations?
Quenching the candles of the apostles?
Organ music stops and the last hymn is just sung?
No send-away words and people just silently get up and leave from the dark and barren church at the end of the hymn?

Yeah, extremely cool.

I said to someone after that I could, for the first time, feel what it must have been like to feel the terror that the disciples felt that evening. The rector wiping down the altar after everyone had already moved off from the main area, the silence of the moment. The trepidation of knowing that you've been told something is going to happen, something you will suffer through.

It's the only time in a church I've felt the feeling of what it is like to feel, for lack of a better other description, the feeling of waiting in a hospital to hear from the doctors what has become of someone you love very much. It's that same foreboding.

sinnesloeschen
Jun 4, 2011

fiiiiiiinnnne
:coolspot:

Nessus posted:

I thought divination was ungodly and forboden

:thunk:

sinnesloeschen
Jun 4, 2011

fiiiiiiinnnne

NomChompsky posted:

I said to someone after that I could, for the first time, feel what it must have been like to feel the terror that the disciples felt that evening. The rector wiping down the altar after everyone had already moved off from the main area, the silence of the moment. The trepidation of knowing that you've been told something is going to happen, something you will suffer through.

It's the only time in a church I've felt the feeling of what it is like to feel, for lack of a better other description, the feeling of waiting in a hospital to hear from the doctors what has become of someone you love very much. It's that same foreboding.

i'm sitting the overnight vigil at this very moment and this is exactly what its like

A Bad King
Jul 17, 2009

Suppose the oil man,
He comes to town.
And you don't lay money down.

Yet Mr. King,
He killed the thread
The other day.
Well I wonder.
Who's gonna go to Hell?
Hi thread.

Been a while. :)

Just thought I'd share that Leonard Cohen could write fantastically well concerning the pain of the Christ. His "Avalanche," really hits me right in the spirit. Anyways, lol. The lyrics made me joyous and thought you'd enjoy it during this Easter!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3f0ADuVJhYQ

His guitar work is definitely a thing of its time.

LITERALLY A BIRD
Sep 27, 2008

I knew you were trouble
when you flew in

Finished "The Origin of Satan" and started reading "The Gnostic Gospels." Pagels repeatedly pointing out orthodox Christianity developed the way it did to serve the interests of the governing institutions isn't new information to me, but pointing out how many of the titular gospels emphasize personal spiritual development and finding truths within yourself as the path to becoming "like Christ" (that is to say, becoming spiritually/Divinely awakened just as the Christ was; much more literal than "Christlike" is generally taken to mean) in combination with pointing out Tertullian etc's insistence that Christians should not be investigating their own faith too deeply or questioning their leaders makes me wonder if Christianity started out on the right path for human spiritual evolution and then promptly went wrong.

Like, if Gnostic Christianity had triumphed over orthodox Christianity, and the dominant western religion emphasized a search for gnosis and developing the personal connection to the Divine as opposed to "obey the church" would we all have achieved reconciliation by now

LITERALLY A BIRD
Sep 27, 2008

I knew you were trouble
when you flew in

Also hey ABK! :) Zuzu was reading Pagels with me yesterday.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

LITERALLY A BIRD posted:

Finished "The Origin of Satan" and started reading "The Gnostic Gospels." Pagels repeatedly pointing out orthodox Christianity developed the way it did to serve the interests of the governing institutions isn't new information to me, but pointing out how many of the titular gospels emphasize personal spiritual development and finding truths within yourself as the path to becoming "like Christ" (that is to say, becoming spiritually/Divinely awakened just as the Christ was; much more literal than "Christlike" is generally taken to mean) in combination with pointing out Tertullian etc's insistence that Christians should not be investigating their own faith too deeply or questioning their leaders makes me wonder if Christianity started out on the right path and then promptly went wrong.

Like, if Gnostic Christianity had triumphed over orthodox Christianity, and the dominant western religion emphasized a search for gnosis and developing the personal connection to the Divine as opposed to "obey the church" would we all have achieved reconciliation by now
Based upon the experience of Buddhism in expanding into large empires and receiving public patronage: Unfortunately, probably not.

But it would certainly have been different, that's for sure.

Keromaru5
Dec 28, 2012

Pictured: The Wolf Of Gubbio (probably)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund
One thing to point out is that Tertullian isn't technically a Church Father. He had some influence, but also rejected the mainstream Church for Montanism because of the latter's hyper-strict morality; and seems to have had a number of unorthodox beliefs himself, like iconoclasm and a kind of proto-Arianism. Plus he rejected using Greek mythology to defend Christianity ("What does Athens have to do with Jerusalem?"), where most Church Fathers rejected that rejection.

LITERALLY A BIRD posted:

Pagels thinks if Gnosticism triumphed, then the Church would have become more like Eastern Orthodoxy, which kind of tells me a lot about her understanding of Eastern Orthodoxy.

Neon Noodle
Nov 11, 2016

there's nothing wrong here in montana

LITERALLY A BIRD posted:

!!!!!!! THE HOLY SPIRIT

Orbs
Apr 1, 2009
~Liberation~

LITERALLY A BIRD posted:

Finished "The Origin of Satan" and started reading "The Gnostic Gospels." Pagels repeatedly pointing out orthodox Christianity developed the way it did to serve the interests of the governing institutions isn't new information to me, but pointing out how many of the titular gospels emphasize personal spiritual development and finding truths within yourself as the path to becoming "like Christ" (that is to say, becoming spiritually/Divinely awakened just as the Christ was; much more literal than "Christlike" is generally taken to mean) in combination with pointing out Tertullian etc's insistence that Christians should not be investigating their own faith too deeply or questioning their leaders makes me wonder if Christianity started out on the right path for human spiritual evolution and then promptly went wrong.

I've thought about this a lot too. Instead of making the society Christ wanted to see, they got distracted trying to be more personally like him, but always in ways that the Church said to. Giving all your money to your local Church? That's good and 'Christlike.' Giving it all to start a local commune and refusing to pay taxes? Not so much to the Roman Empire.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

Orbs posted:

I've thought about this a lot too. Instead of making the society Christ wanted to see, they got distracted trying to be more personally like him, but always in ways that the Church said to. Giving all your money to your local Church? That's good and 'Christlike.' Giving it all to start a local commune and refusing to pay taxes? Not so much to the Roman Empire.
How would you distinguish between your local church and your local commune, assuming we are starting from scratch and before Church got its various complex associations?

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Keromaru5 posted:

Pagels thinks if Gnosticism triumphed, then the Church would have become more like Eastern Orthodoxy, which kind of tells me a lot about her understanding of Eastern Orthodoxy.

Lmao

Orbs
Apr 1, 2009
~Liberation~

Nessus posted:

How would you distinguish between your local church and your local commune, assuming we are starting from scratch and before Church got its various complex associations?
Whichever one doesn't tell you to obey the state, I guess.

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

LITERALLY A BIRD posted:

Pagels is a bit over-enthusiastic on that point. Gnosticism was the first big heresy of the 2nd century. The primary objection to it was not that it was inconvenient, it was "This isn't what the Apostles taught us." There were still people alive at that point who had learned from the Apostles directly, and sticking to what they had been taught was the prime motivation.

Gnosticism was a dead end. Christianity would have become like Zoroastrianism had it prevailed.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

Orbs posted:

Whichever one doesn't tell you to obey the state, I guess.
But they both precede the existence of the modern concept of the state!

Orbs
Apr 1, 2009
~Liberation~

Nessus posted:

But they both precede the existence of the modern concept of the state!
The Romans still had a state that you had to pay taxes to on pain of imprisonment or worse, whether it looked like the modern version or not.

LITERALLY A BIRD
Sep 27, 2008

I knew you were trouble
when you flew in

Deteriorata posted:

Pagels is a bit over-enthusiastic on that point. Gnosticism was the first big heresy of the 2nd century. The primary objection to it was not that it was inconvenient, it was "This isn't what the Apostles taught us." There were still people alive at that point who had learned from the Apostles directly, and sticking to what they had been taught was the prime motivation.

Gnosticism was a dead end. Christianity would have become like Zoroastrianism had it prevailed.

Right, but I think she is communicating that sticking to apostolic tradition is of itself enormously beneficial to what becomes the Church establishment.

quote:

Whatever we think of the historicity of the orthodox account, we can admire its ingenuity. For this theory—that all authority derives from certain apostles’ experience of the resurrected Christ, an experience now closed forever—bears enormous implications for the political structure of the community. First, as the German scholar Karl Holl has pointed out, it restricts the circle of leadership to a small band of persons whose members stand in a position of incontestable authority.33 Second, it suggests that only the apostles had the right to ordain future leaders as their successors.34 Christians in the second century used Luke’s account to set the groundwork for establishing specific, restricted chains of command for all future generations of Christians. Any potential leader of the community would have to derive, or claim to derive, authority from the same apostles. Yet, according to the orthodox view, none can ever claim to equal their authority—much less challenge it. What the apostles experienced and attested their successors cannot verify for themselves; instead, they must only believe, protect, and hand down to future generations the apostles’ testimony.35

This theory gained extraordinary success: for nearly 2,000 years, orthodox Christians have accepted the view that the apostles alone held definitive religious authority, and that their only legitimate heirs are priests and bishops, who trace their ordination back to that same apostolic succession. Even today the pope traces his—and the primacy he claims over the rest—to Peter himself, “first of the apostles,” since he was “first witness of the resurrection.”

LITERALLY A BIRD
Sep 27, 2008

I knew you were trouble
when you flew in

Neon Noodle posted:

!!!!!!! THE HOLY SPIRIT

pigeon-shaped blessings upon us

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

Orbs posted:

The Romans still had a state that you had to pay taxes to on pain of imprisonment or worse, whether it looked like the modern version or not.
Do you get the same holiness quotient if you just refuse to pay taxes?

It WOULD assist with martyrdom...

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

LITERALLY A BIRD posted:

Right, but I think she is communicating that sticking to apostolic tradition is of itself enormously beneficial to what becomes the Church establishment.

Yeah, but Apostolic succession was the only legitimacy of the faith. The authority of the Apostles was all there was. They were not about to tolerate people just making poo poo up out of whole cloth and trying to pass it off as something valid.

There had not yet been any systematic theology or attempts at expanding on the Apostolic message. That's all there was and it was completely reasonable to stick to that.

She tries to portray it as a negative thing, but there really wasn't any other path.

Orbs
Apr 1, 2009
~Liberation~

Deteriorata posted:

Yeah, but Apostolic succession was the only legitimacy of the faith. The authority of the Apostles was all there was. They were not about to tolerate people just making poo poo up out of whole cloth and trying to pass it off as something valid.

There had not yet been any systematic theology or attempts at expanding on the Apostolic message. That's all there was and it was completely reasonable to stick to that.

She tries to portray it as a negative thing, but there really wasn't any other path.
Sounds very negative to me. There is always another path.

Nessus posted:

Do you get the same holiness quotient if you just refuse to pay taxes?

It WOULD assist with martyrdom...
Given how hosed up the Roman Empire was, it probably got you a lot of the way there irt holiness.

LITERALLY A BIRD
Sep 27, 2008

I knew you were trouble
when you flew in

Deteriorata posted:

Yeah, it makes sense and is completely reasonable that the Gnostics going, for example, "mmmm y'all are wrong about the resurrection" was deeply objectionable to contemporaneous Christians. However that doesn't mean the orthodoxy wasn't also offended by Gnosticism encouraging people to look within themselves to understand and interpret Christ's truths for institutional reasons.

My point -- which was just me musing, to be clear, not something I have encountered Pagel saying thus far -- was that the Gnostic gospels (I have read some of these, but this is the first book I have begun to read on them) have a much stronger emphasis on nurturing the Divine within than exists in the Christian gospels as-is, which focus instead on the Divine as an external force. I was making the observation that I, personally, think that a Christianity that embraced some of the gospels which encouraged personal journeys in search of truth and understanding, alongside the ones that did become canonical, might have delivered us to a very different place as a species than the version we have now.

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

LITERALLY A BIRD posted:

Yeah, it makes sense and is completely reasonable that the Gnostics going, for example, "mmmm y'all are wrong about the resurrection" was deeply objectionable to contemporaneous Christians. However that doesn't mean the orthodoxy wasn't also offended by Gnosticism encouraging people to look within themselves to understand and interpret Christ's truths for institutional reasons.

My point -- which was just me musing, to be clear, not something I have encountered Pagel saying thus far -- was that the Gnostic gospels (I have read some of these, but this is the first book I have begun to read on them) have a much stronger emphasis on nurturing the Divine within than exists in the Christian gospels as-is, which focus instead on the Divine as an external force. I was making the observation that I, personally, think that a Christianity that embraced some of the gospels which encouraged personal journeys in search of truth and understanding, alongside the ones that did become canonical, might have delivered us to a very different place as a species than the version we have now.

I agree with you on that. That's actually an important part of Jesus' message that did get neglected as the Christian church suddenly realized that it was huge and had to get organized to avoid chaos.

That was an important part of the Reformation, actually - rebelling against the fiat authority of the Church and stressing the importance of individual revelation without the need for mediation via the church.

I have read a lot of Pagels' work and admire her a lot. My main complaint with her is that she is a bit too protective of her subject matter and gets kind of Dan Brownish in seeing conspiracies and bad faith where none existed. As I said before, the apostolic witness was the only reason the faith existed, and anybody contradicting that was not going to be welcome. The Arians of the next century were treated the same way, for the same reasons.

LITERALLY A BIRD
Sep 27, 2008

I knew you were trouble
when you flew in

Deteriorata posted:

I have read a lot of Pagels' work and admire her a lot. My main complaint with her is that she is a bit too protective of her subject matter and gets kind of Dan Brownish in seeing conspiracies and bad faith where none existed. As I said before, the apostolic witness was the only reason the faith existed, and anybody contradicting that was not going to be welcome. The Arians of the next century were treated the same way, for the same reasons.

That makes sense, and I definitely appreciate both the greater context and the word of caution so that I don't take everything I am reading too uncritically. It's a helpful reminder, and if I hadn't wanted other people's thoughts on the subject I would have simply kept my own thoughts to myself!

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

i would urge people not to summarize or describe gnosticism as a christian heresy, except in the emic sense of sure that might be how a christian community would label it upon encountering. i think it loses a lot of clarity in any scholarly context. gnosticism draws from a lot of sources, incl many of the same ones as were contemporaneous christianities drawing—each tending to emphasize different aspects—and at times it draws from christianity itself; but in all cases, to radically distinct effect

like how the interstate and merritt/wilbur cross parkway are neither entirely separated nor conveniently connected but still connect at several locations and both pass you over similar land between the bridge and mass pike

Keromaru5
Dec 28, 2012

LITERALLY A BIRD posted:

I checked some Pagels interviews for my last post, and you more or less captured her view. But then, that's why I brought up her statement about Eastern Orthodoxy. We managed to get of what you described, more or less (depending on how you understand "personal journeys"), while completely rejecting Gnosticism and its gospels. Our entire iconographic tradition is at least in part a rejection of some specific Gnostic beliefs. So I don't know where she gets that.

Nemo Somen
Aug 20, 2013

Based on my understanding of Christian Gnosticism, my interpretation of one of the major issues the (what would become) Church would probably be that Gnosticism sort of sets up a (what sounds suspiciously polytheistic) system where only special people have access to God's Truth and can thus be saved. If the Gospel of Mark was any indication, that's the opposite of what the early Church believed (i.e. that God is available to all). So I can understand why the early Church would be aggressive with opposing Gnosticism, including the other challenges Christian Gnosticism would offer them.

Azathoth
Apr 3, 2001

Keromaru5 posted:

I checked some Pagels interviews for my last post, and you more or less captured her view. But then, that's why I brought up her statement about Eastern Orthodoxy. We managed to get of what you described, more or less (depending on how you understand "personal journeys"), while completely rejecting Gnosticism and its gospels. Our entire iconographic tradition is at least in part a rejection of some specific Gnostic beliefs. So I don't know where she gets that.
Even talking about "gnosticism" as a single coherent set of beliefs is fraught. Aside from the teachings being secret or otherwise reserved for the initiated, it's really hard (and maybe impossible) to come up with a single definition of gnosticism that covers the range of groups labeled gnostic that doesn't also just straight up include early Christianity. A focus on an inner spiritual life isn't exactly a feature unique to gnostic groups.

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

Deteriorata posted:

Well and the Trinity was the response. The abyss, hypostasis of emanated aeons, and limitation to two ( the Logos and the Spirit.) Everything else below. And not dualistic.

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

Keromaru5 posted:

So I don't know where she gets that.

Gnosticism moved east to west and it did shape the east more than the west. There’s a good section in History of Christian Thought on it and I’ll post it.

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

In Church history, we always have Marcionism, or radical Paulinism, and we have it today in the Barthian school whenever they try to put the God of revelation against the God of natural law. In natural law, and accordingly in history, man is by himself, they say. They don't speak of a second God: such a fantastic mythology would not be possible today. But they speak of a radical tension between the natural world – including natural reason, natural morals – and the religious realm, which stands against all the other realms. This was Marcion's problem, and he solved it by a radical separation. The problem is: Gnostic dualism. For the Gnostics, the created world is bad, and therefore the world must have been created by a God who is bad. And who is this God? It is the God of the Old Testament. Salvation ,therefore; is liberation from the world, and .this must be done in ascetic terms. There is no place for eschatology on the basis of this dualism because the end of the world would be always seen in the light of this dualism, and a dualistic fulfillment is not a fulfillment: it is a split in God himself. The saviour is one of the heavenly powers, called aeons, eternities – the word "eternity" does not have the connotation of timelessness here, but has the connotation of cosmic powers, and as such it is always used. This higher aeon, the saviour aeon, the saviour power of being, descends to earth and takes on human flesh. But now it becomes obvious that the aeon, a Divine power, cannot suffer. So he takes on either a strange body or a body which only seems to be a body, but he does not become flesh. This of course was a very sensitive point for the early Christians and their conformity, and so they rejected the gnostics on this point. The saviour descends to the different realms in which the different astrological powers rule. This concerns especially the planets, which are considered as astrological powers even long after the Renaissance, even in Protestantism.. He reveals the hidden weapons of these demonic powers by trespassing their realm and overcoming them on his descent. He brings down the seals of their power, their names and their characters, and if you have the name of a demonic power, you are superior to it: you call it by name and then it falls down. One of the Gnostic texts says~ "Having the seals, I shall descend, going through all aeons. I shall recognize all mysteries. I shall show the shape of the gods. And the hidden things of the holy path, called gnosis, I shall deliver." Here you have a claim of the good God, of the mystery power which comes down to earth. The demonic powers are the representatives of fate. The human soul which has fallen into their hands is liberated by the saviour and by the knowledge he gives. One could say: What the saviour does in gnosticism is somehow to use white magic against the black magic of the planetary powers, the same powers of whom Paul speaks in Romans 8 that they are subdued to Christ. Therefore the magic power of the sacraments as mysterious practices is acknowledged. In them the highest Divine power comes to earth. But besides these sacramental and speculative tendencies, the Gnostics had ethical values of community and asceticism. What is demanded is the ascent of the soul, following the saviour who also ascended, but then descended. The souls have descended; now they shall ascend. The savior liberates from demonic powers for the sake of union with the highest itself, with the fullness, the pleroma, the Spiritual Word. On the upward way, the human soul meets these rulers, and then the soul tells the rulers what it knows about them. He knows their name, i. e., their mysterious power, the structure of evil they represent. When he tells them their name, they fall down and tremble and cannot stop the soul any more. Now what really is meant in these poetic images is a religion of salvation from the demonic powers, which was the problem of the whole period, inside and outside Christianity. Man is somehow better .than his creator. Man can be saved from the powers of the demiurge, of him who creates the world. But not all men are able to be saved. There are three classes of human beings: the pneumatikoi, i. e. , the Spirituals; the psychikoi, those who follow the soul; and the sarkikoi, those who follow the flesh. The sarkikoi are lost; the Spiritual ones are saved; but the middle group, the psychikoi, can go this way or that way. In order to reach the elevation, man must participate in the mysteries. These mysteries are mostly mysteries of purification, therefore mostly connected with baptism. The Spirit in baptism enters the matter of the sacrament (water) and dwells in it. After the Spirit has been brought down by a special formula, namely the formula of the initiation of the sacraments., – it is the magic idea of the sacraments which was accepted by these Stoics... All these ideas were a great temptation to Christians. Christ remained in the center of history. He is he who brings salvation. But He is put into the frame of the dualistic world-view of Hellenism. He is put into the context of the great syncretism. The religious mood of this whole time is beautifully expressed in the Acts of Andreas , one of those apocryphal writings. He says: "Blessed is our generation. We are not thrown down, for we have been recognized by the light. We do not belong to time, which would dissolve us. We are not a product of motion, which would destroy us again. We belong to the greatness towards which we are striving. We belong to Him who has mercy towards us, to the light which has expelled the darkness, to the One from whom we have turned away, to the Manifold, to the Super-heavenly, by whom we have understood the earthly. If we praise Him, it is because we are recognized by Him." Now this is piety. It is not only speculation, as the critics of Gnosticism have said. This is really religion. And there are many people today who would like to renew gnostic religion as their own daily expression of their religious experience; and not because of the fantastic speculation, but because of the real piety in it, Gnosticism was a very great danger for Christianity, because if Christian theology had succumbed to this temptation, the individual character of Christianity would have been lost. The unique ground of the person Jesus would have become meaningless. The Old Testament would have disappeared, and with it the historical picture of the Christ. All this has been avoided by those men whom we call the anti-gnostic Fathers, the Fathers who were fighting against Gnosticism and who threw it out of the Church.   Now there are a few minutes and I would like to see how difficult, especially the first part of the lectures, were. Perhaps you have questions. Q. I think the Logos doctrine greatly resembles the gnostic doctrine of the aeons. They are both emanations from God. Is there any real distinction between them? A. That is a very good question. The distinction is the following: In the Logos Christology, as it was developed further on, we have the emphasis on the absoluteness of this aeon, which is Christ. Perhaps I can give you a great help for the understanding of the struggle between Arius and Athanasius, to which we come later on. What Arius actually did was to make the Christ, the heavenly Logos, into one of the aeons; while the Church decided that whatever one may think about aeons, or transcendent powers of being, the Logos is above them. .. If we did not have one of the Divine principles in which the innermost heart of God is expressed, then our salvation would not be a complete salvation. But what you said is very well said: these powers of being are like the Logos, hypostasized, hypostasized in the bathos, the abyss, the depth of the Divine Life. There, everything is in and is born out of it. It is the birthplace of all aeons. But now the Church limited the aeons to two: the Logos and the Spirit. And everything else, whether it was called an aeon or not, was not of equal rank. This was the development of the Trinitarian doctrine of God.

sinnesloeschen
Jun 4, 2011

fiiiiiiinnnne

LITERALLY A BIRD posted:

:kimchi:

sinnesloeschen
Jun 4, 2011

fiiiiiiinnnne

Neon Noodle posted:

!!!!!!! THE HOLY SPIRIT

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

Bar Ran Dun posted:

In Church history, we always have Marcionism, or radical Paulinism, and we have it today in the Barthian school whenever they try to put the God of revelation against the God of natural law. In natural law, and accordingly in history, man is by himself, they say. They don't speak of a second God: such a fantastic mythology would not be possible today. But they speak of a radical tension between the natural world – including natural reason, natural morals – and the religious realm, which stands against all the other realms. This was Marcion's problem, and he solved it by a radical separation. The problem is: Gnostic dualism. For the Gnostics, the created world is bad, and therefore the world must have been created by a God who is bad. And who is this God? It is the God of the Old Testament. Salvation ,therefore; is liberation from the world, and .this must be done in ascetic terms. There is no place for eschatology on the basis of this dualism because the end of the world would be always seen in the light of this dualism, and a dualistic fulfillment is not a fulfillment: it is a split in God himself. The saviour is one of the heavenly powers, called aeons, eternities – the word "eternity" does not have the connotation of timelessness here, but has the connotation of cosmic powers, and as such it is always used. This higher aeon, the saviour aeon, the saviour power of being, descends to earth and takes on human flesh. But now it becomes obvious that the aeon, a Divine power, cannot suffer. So he takes on either a strange body or a body which only seems to be a body, but he does not become flesh. This of course was a very sensitive point for the early Christians and their conformity, and so they rejected the gnostics on this point. The saviour descends to the different realms in which the different astrological powers rule. This concerns especially the planets, which are considered as astrological powers even long after the Renaissance, even in Protestantism.. He reveals the hidden weapons of these demonic powers by trespassing their realm and overcoming them on his descent. He brings down the seals of their power, their names and their characters, and if you have the name of a demonic power, you are superior to it: you call it by name and then it falls down. One of the Gnostic texts says~ "Having the seals, I shall descend, going through all aeons. I shall recognize all mysteries. I shall show the shape of the gods. And the hidden things of the holy path, called gnosis, I shall deliver." Here you have a claim of the good God, of the mystery power which comes down to earth. The demonic powers are the representatives of fate. The human soul which has fallen into their hands is liberated by the saviour and by the knowledge he gives. One could say: What the saviour does in gnosticism is somehow to use white magic against the black magic of the planetary powers, the same powers of whom Paul speaks in Romans 8 that they are subdued to Christ. Therefore the magic power of the sacraments as mysterious practices is acknowledged. In them the highest Divine power comes to earth. But besides these sacramental and speculative tendencies, the Gnostics had ethical values of community and asceticism. What is demanded is the ascent of the soul, following the saviour who also ascended, but then descended. The souls have descended; now they shall ascend. The savior liberates from demonic powers for the sake of union with the highest itself, with the fullness, the pleroma, the Spiritual Word. On the upward way, the human soul meets these rulers, and then the soul tells the rulers what it knows about them. He knows their name, i. e., their mysterious power, the structure of evil they represent. When he tells them their name, they fall down and tremble and cannot stop the soul any more. Now what really is meant in these poetic images is a religion of salvation from the demonic powers, which was the problem of the whole period, inside and outside Christianity. Man is somehow better .than his creator. Man can be saved from the powers of the demiurge, of him who creates the world. But not all men are able to be saved. There are three classes of human beings: the pneumatikoi, i. e. , the Spirituals; the psychikoi, those who follow the soul; and the sarkikoi, those who follow the flesh. The sarkikoi are lost; the Spiritual ones are saved; but the middle group, the psychikoi, can go this way or that way. In order to reach the elevation, man must participate in the mysteries. These mysteries are mostly mysteries of purification, therefore mostly connected with baptism. The Spirit in baptism enters the matter of the sacrament (water) and dwells in it. After the Spirit has been brought down by a special formula, namely the formula of the initiation of the sacraments., – it is the magic idea of the sacraments which was accepted by these Stoics... All these ideas were a great temptation to Christians. Christ remained in the center of history. He is he who brings salvation. But He is put into the frame of the dualistic world-view of Hellenism. He is put into the context of the great syncretism. The religious mood of this whole time is beautifully expressed in the Acts of Andreas , one of those apocryphal writings. He says: "Blessed is our generation. We are not thrown down, for we have been recognized by the light. We do not belong to time, which would dissolve us. We are not a product of motion, which would destroy us again. We belong to the greatness towards which we are striving. We belong to Him who has mercy towards us, to the light which has expelled the darkness, to the One from whom we have turned away, to the Manifold, to the Super-heavenly, by whom we have understood the earthly. If we praise Him, it is because we are recognized by Him." Now this is piety. It is not only speculation, as the critics of Gnosticism have said. This is really religion. And there are many people today who would like to renew gnostic religion as their own daily expression of their religious experience; and not because of the fantastic speculation, but because of the real piety in it, Gnosticism was a very great danger for Christianity, because if Christian theology had succumbed to this temptation, the individual character of Christianity would have been lost. The unique ground of the person Jesus would have become meaningless. The Old Testament would have disappeared, and with it the historical picture of the Christ. All this has been avoided by those men whom we call the anti-gnostic Fathers, the Fathers who were fighting against Gnosticism and who threw it out of the Church.   Now there are a few minutes and I would like to see how difficult, especially the first part of the lectures, were. Perhaps you have questions. Q. I think the Logos doctrine greatly resembles the gnostic doctrine of the aeons. They are both emanations from God. Is there any real distinction between them? A. That is a very good question. The distinction is the following: In the Logos Christology, as it was developed further on, we have the emphasis on the absoluteness of this aeon, which is Christ. Perhaps I can give you a great help for the understanding of the struggle between Arius and Athanasius, to which we come later on. What Arius actually did was to make the Christ, the heavenly Logos, into one of the aeons; while the Church decided that whatever one may think about aeons, or transcendent powers of being, the Logos is above them. .. If we did not have one of the Divine principles in which the innermost heart of God is expressed, then our salvation would not be a complete salvation. But what you said is very well said: these powers of being are like the Logos, hypostasized, hypostasized in the bathos, the abyss, the depth of the Divine Life. There, everything is in and is born out of it. It is the birthplace of all aeons. But now the Church limited the aeons to two: the Logos and the Spirit. And everything else, whether it was called an aeon or not, was not of equal rank. This was the development of the Trinitarian doctrine of God.
Sir, this is a thermopilium

Keromaru5
Dec 28, 2012

Azathoth posted:

Even talking about "gnosticism" as a single coherent set of beliefs is fraught. Aside from the teachings being secret or otherwise reserved for the initiated, it's really hard (and maybe impossible) to come up with a single definition of gnosticism that covers the range of groups labeled gnostic that doesn't also just straight up include early Christianity. A focus on an inner spiritual life isn't exactly a feature unique to gnostic groups.
True, which is partly why I'm not convinced that that focus was really that big a point of contention. I've read the first three books of Against Heresies, and I recall St. Irenaeus being much more concerned with gnostic theology and interpretation of scripture than with spirituality. If anything, I think the battles over Christology at the Ecumenical Councils make more sense in light of inner, mystical, noetic spirituality as a common Christian practice than as pure theologizing and ecclesiastical gatekeeping.
Okay, but since Nicea impacted East and West, this doesn't really address a specific Gnostic influence on the East.

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

Keromaru5 posted:

Okay, but since Nicea impacted East and West, this doesn't really address a specific Gnostic influence on the East.

That one depends on where one argues it started and spread from.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Prurient Squid
Jul 21, 2008

Tiddy cat Buddha improving your day.
For Bird in particular.

I just realised that Plotinus' conception of the cosmos is ordered into 3. The One, The Intellect and The Soul. Also Hegel's philosophy was a series of nested triads.
9 = 3x3. So maybe there's some number mysticism going on.

edit:

Hegel's main triad is generally thought to be Thesis, Antithesis, Synthesis but this is a mistake. That was Fichte, a figure of the Romantic movement who was a big influence on Hegel. Hegel's triad is The Understanding, Dialectic, Speculation. I've never really understood what Speculation was all about to be honest. Maybe drawing the best fit line between the datapoints?

Prurient Squid fucked around with this message at 10:43 on Mar 30, 2024