Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pershing
Feb 21, 2010

John "Black Jack" Pershing
Hard Fucking Core

I've been a stranger to this version of the thread...it got going during a time when I was offline a lot and that unread count was a little intimidating.

All that to say could I ask for prayer? I was diagnosed with COVID today, I'm going to get the antibody infusion tomorrow and am a little worried.

Also, I'll be praying during the infusion tomorrow like I did during my cancer infusions...let me know if you have any intentions needing prayer.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pershing
Feb 21, 2010

Hard Fucking Core

Thanks everyone. Praying for you.

Pershing
Feb 21, 2010

Hard Fucking Core

COVID update: fever is largely gone, just a nagging cough that's worse when I talk. Between having had the vaccine and getting the antibody tx, I'm doing pretty well. My wife caught it but the kids haven't been sick (thank you Lord).

Also I've been endlessly frustrated and angry, I'm trying to pray more/read Scripture more in response. I have this feeling that big changes are needed in my life (esp. my professional life). Thank you all for the prayers/I'm still praying for you.

Pershing
Feb 21, 2010

Hard Fucking Core

WrenP-Complete posted:

We just taught the high schoolers a mishnah that has the opinion that in order to get rid of leavened bread before Passover you can throw it into the ocean. (It's halachically legal and such a thrill!).

I want to know who 'those dicks at AutoZone' are in this scenario.

Pershing
Feb 21, 2010

Hard Fucking Core

Valiantman posted:

Specifically 1 Corinthians 14. I won't quite it here since it's quite long and taking parts out wouldn't do justice to it.

My read of it is Paul not out and out saying that speaking in tounges is bad/sinful/etc. but he sounds deeply uncomfortable with the practice. He definitely holds prophecy to be the better utterance from the Spirit.

Pershing
Feb 21, 2010

Hard Fucking Core

I like Elizabeth Bruenig on Twitter...how accurate is her description of the Atlanta shooter's faith in this thread?

https://twitter.com/ebruenig/status/1373748836972265473?s=19

Pershing
Feb 21, 2010

Hard Fucking Core

Nth Doctor posted:

Please pray for my grandfather, Hal (son of Hope and Southard). My mom just got the call from his hospice nurse and then one from his social worker that while he isn't transitioning yet, it isn't far off.

Lord Jesus, please bring Hal close to you in order that he may experience your Heaven and your resurrection. O Mary, conceived without sin, pray for us who have recourse to thee.

Pershing
Feb 21, 2010

Hard Fucking Core

Zazz Razzamatazz posted:

My confirmation / first Communion was tonight, I'm now officially a Catholic!

Hooray!

Pershing
Feb 21, 2010

Hard Fucking Core

Worthleast posted:

By the way, I have heard it on good authority that Christ is risen.

Confirmed.

https://twitter.com/iresimpsonsfans/status/1378678148489969664?s=19

Pershing
Feb 21, 2010

Hard Fucking Core

Your avatar and the work 'edifying' go well together.

Don't know why I'm posting that but I feel called to do so.

Pershing
Feb 21, 2010

Hard Fucking Core

Valiantman posted:

*hands over the certificate for the most Lutheran post of the month*

Pictured: Me and Valiantman endorsing the back of the certificate.

Pershing
Feb 21, 2010

Hard Fucking Core

We got to sing at Mass for the first time in over a year. Thanks, Lord!

Pershing
Feb 21, 2010

Hard Fucking Core

Thirteen Orphans posted:

Increased prayer, etc. That would be a good thing no matter what happens.

St. Benedict, St. Dominic, St. Francis, St. Ignatius of Loyola, please intercede on behalf of Thirteen Orphans. BVM, please join in our prayers. Lord, please place Thirteen Orphans wherever it is right for him (her? I can't remember!). Our Father...

Unrelated... I think the prescreeners for formation missed this guy

e:

Cyrano4747 posted:

New thread title?

Seconded.

Pershing
Feb 21, 2010

Hard Fucking Core

This looks beautiful!

Pershing
Feb 21, 2010

Hard Fucking Core

Could I ask for prayer in a couple of areas?

--- for my wife...that she is able to successfully work out her current conflict with her boss and make the changes needed to keep her job

--- for my family...that we may be provided for regardless of the results of my wife's situation

--- for myself...that I'm able to speak truthfully but respectfully with my wife about what I see in her (bad) choices and that I am able to appropriately manage the very real fear and anxiety I have about this situation.

Especially asking that the Holy Family and St. Elizabeth of Hungary pray with us.

Pershing
Feb 21, 2010

Hard Fucking Core

Worthleast posted:

Hey religiongoons.

Pope Francis is restricting the availability of the Latin Mass, which is going to put a lot of my friends in a very difficult position. I'd appreciate your prayers for the situation. I'm going to continue to be in apparent disobedience for some time I guess.

St. Peter, please pray for Worthleast and his fellow parishioners.

Any idea what your bishop's opinion is likely to be, Worthleast?

(Here's a article for those who don't know what we're on about)

Pershing
Feb 21, 2010

Hard Fucking Core

Britney swam the Tiber, supposedly.

https://twitter.com/ZacMabry/status/1423449449959919616?s=19

St. Dymphna, please pray for her. Our Father...

Pershing
Feb 21, 2010

Hard Fucking Core

Nehru the Damaja posted:

Is this the best place on SA to ask about Taoism? I'm curious about it and want to learn more, but it seems like there's not a lot of resources for Americans who want to learn other than Tai Chi classes and hippy dippy New Age stuff that lumps all Eastern religions/philosophies together as basically the same.

I'd say go for it! We've had a lot of good conversation in here on non-Christian faiths.

Pershing
Feb 21, 2010

Hard Fucking Core

https://twitter.com/FatherTim/status/1432871460259958785?s=19

Pershing
Feb 21, 2010

Hard Fucking Core

angry emu posted:

Is it going to be weird or disrespectful of me to start attending mass regularly when I have no intention to switch denominations? (I already know not to take communion etc.)

I had exactly the same...worry? concern? when I started attending Mass. I really, really wanted to be respectful and it almost got in the way of me going. It's much more common than you think and no one will object.

Pershing
Feb 21, 2010

Hard Fucking Core

shame on an IGA posted:

so basically all I need to know about visiting a catholic mass is bring kneepads and don't eat anyone important?

That's straight out of the Catechism, correct.

Pershing
Feb 21, 2010

Hard Fucking Core

Speaking of :tinfoil:, a Romanov royal wedding has been held in Russia for the first time since 1917.

Bonus fancy hats and gorgeous Orthodox vestments video:

https://twitter.com/AFP/status/1443914844529332227?s=19

Pershing
Feb 21, 2010

Hard Fucking Core

Asking for prayers for a man who is my friend's patient... profoundly psychotic and struggling mightily with self injury. Especially asking for the intercession of St Dymphna.

Pershing
Feb 21, 2010

Hard Fucking Core

Some wise words from the Pope on accepting all cultures in the faith

Pershing
Feb 21, 2010

Hard Fucking Core

A great crosspost from the Blessed Images thread:

Pershing
Feb 21, 2010

Hard Fucking Core

zonohedron posted:

The thread's discord server has been praying for him; thanks, TOOT BOOT, for making sure the thread denizens who aren't on Discord (and why not, I ask you) have the same chance to do so.

Sadly, I work a job where I'm barely at the computer during the day. I was worried when the Discord started that it would hollow out this thread...

Pershing
Feb 21, 2010

Hard Fucking Core

Thirteen Orphans posted:

I just got to the Monastery. The first thing I had to do was prayer with/for a deceased monk who passed last Friday. They embalm the body and each person sits on a kneeler next to them and prays for them. I found out I’m afraid embalmed corpses are going to jump at me while I’m kneeling beside them praying. “Not good enough! *grab*”

Courage! Patron saint of undertakers, pray for us!

I really, really really pray that this works out for you!

Pershing
Feb 21, 2010

Hard Fucking Core

I think I've mentioned before 50s Girl Groupon's treatment diary in PYF. I've been following it for a while because she has a similar cancer to the one I've experienced plus other medical issues. IMO, it's been raining in her life for a long time and it just started pouring harder.

Apparently, she's been back in the hospital recently, there's money woes preventing her from getting her full treatment and she's been having to work while sick with cancer (which is a misery I know all too well).

It's nearing Christmas and I would ask everyone to at least pray for healing and the relief of her suffering. If you pray with the saints, I would suggest asking the intercession of St. Peregrine who I prayed with while I was in active treatment. If you would like to help with her financial woes as well (I plan to) her GoFundMe page is here.

Pershing
Feb 21, 2010

Hard Fucking Core

Is Welles the same guy who proposed a hollow earth theory where we live inside a hollow earth?

Pershing
Feb 21, 2010

Hard Fucking Core

Cyrus Teed was who I was thinking of! I remember him from the Big Book Of Bad

Pershing
Feb 21, 2010

Hard Fucking Core

My contribution to ancestor chat. TW: ridiculous ancestor worship, possible syncretism, possible violation of Deuteronomy 18:10-11

https://twitter.com/lakewitchhouse/status/1468758590974570496?t=2M5J7ay8dlC0qnnmnKjsNA&s=19

Pershing
Feb 21, 2010

Hard Fucking Core

And all I bought BYOB was socks...

Pershing
Feb 21, 2010

Hard Fucking Core

I had my first Grinch moment this year...one of my neighbors (I don't know who) returned one of the Christmas cards I had distributed thru the neighborhood! That hurt!

Pershing
Feb 21, 2010

Hard Fucking Core

BattyKiara posted:

Thank you, BYOB, is there a way to repay you? Send you something nice in return?

We need a missions director...someone to start a BYOB Religionthread

Pershing
Feb 21, 2010

Hard Fucking Core

Thirteen Orphans posted:

Who does that?! We have to pray for that person, I can’t imagine the hurt they’re carrying to even think of doing that.

I intend to pray! As the day had gone on I'm more baffled than anything else. Just throw it in the trash for God's sake...

On an unrelated note, can anyone tell me who this is?

Pershing
Feb 21, 2010

Hard Fucking Core

Just an effort to be friendly to the neighbors, no more no less.

Also, announcing my campaign to bring Sacred Harp singing to the Catholic Church:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=98fVjc4MfXQ

Pershing fucked around with this message at 14:21 on Dec 26, 2021

Pershing
Feb 21, 2010

Hard Fucking Core

1) Crazy Joe Wilson is right

2) The church's teaching on marriage/family/procreation really doesn't lend itself to modern media. There's a lot of nuance.

Pershing
Feb 21, 2010

Hard Fucking Core

Asking for prayers...sweating out my second case of COVID in two years. Trying to pray the serenity prayer while feeling pretty low. Thanks.

Pershing
Feb 21, 2010

Hard Fucking Core

My two oldest are getting confirmed today. If folks could pray for them and their faith I'd appreciate it. Especially asking for the intercession of St. Joseph the Worker and St. Vincent De Paul.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pershing
Feb 21, 2010

Hard Fucking Core

Caufman posted:

Congratulations to your family. I hope it was a happy confirmation, and I hope your second bout of COVID is well behind you.

Thank you, it went pretty well. My COVID is over but my wife is still recovering. How long, O Lord etc.

I'm going to fast from social media and SA over Lent and using some of that time for prayer. If anyone is needing prayer on anything, let me know.