Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gameko
Feb 23, 2006

The friend of all children!

Narsham posted:

You want to just hit the minimum highlights while not really knowing what's going on? Watch Demons of the Punjab, It Takes You Away, Spyfall parts 1 & 2, Fugitive of the Judoon, and The Haunting of Villa Diodati.

I'd suggest watching The Woman Who Fell to Earth, Rosa, The Tsuranga Conundrum, Nikola Tesla's Night of Terror, and Can You Hear Me as well. You probably won't like everything in all of those, but you will probably like some things in some of those.

But really, you ought to watch Capaldi's last season starting from The Pilot. There's at least one "shout at the screen" bad episode in that run, but on the whole it may be one of the strongest seasons of the show.

A classic what? (Actually, I rather like Time and the Rani. I don't think it's good, but it's bad in enjoyable ways.)

The main reason not to pick Time and the Rani is that the script was originally written for 6/Mel and you can tell that from time to time. Really, any 7/Mel episode after that is going to be watchable. I'd choose Paradise Towers, but Delta and the Bannermen and Dragonfire are both watchable.

Got a few different recommends above but Narsham was the most comprehensive. I think I'll go back and give the last Capaldi season a whirl too. Might as well! I'll give it a few episodes before abandoning it so I hope it's not front-loaded with the worst stuff.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Well Manicured Man
Aug 21, 2010

Well Manicured Mort

Gameko posted:

Got a few different recommends above but Narsham was the most comprehensive. I think I'll go back and give the last Capaldi season a whirl too. Might as well! I'll give it a few episodes before abandoning it so I hope it's not front-loaded with the worst stuff.

I've actually started rewatching it after a few years and the last Capaldi season is the best season Moffat had put together since Matt Smith's first. The first few episodes in particular are great. There's a bit of a clunker three-parter in the middle but at least it starts out strong. Twelve, Bill, and Nardole are a great trio and bounce off each other really well. And the finale is one of my favorites.

Shame about the Christmas special, though.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Gameko posted:

There are only two definitley weak episodes imo and they come in the middle.

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

What is going wrong with that one (face is longer than it should be)

marktheando posted:

Tracy Ann Oberman? Gross

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

CommonShore posted:

There are only two definitley weak episodes imo and they come in the middle.

I persist in arguing that a lot of the faults with the Toby Whithouse episode is because Moffat completely failed to communicate anything about what his episode should be about. The villains in that episode behave completely differently to how they behave in the two Moffat episodes, and the script keeps saying "church" and showing images of pyramids.

Maybe it's too much love for his other work, but that seems remarkably sloppy for the man.

OldMemes
Sep 5, 2011

I have to go now. My planet needs me.
Just decided to start the War Doctor boxsets, and listened to ""The Innocent". At first I thought it was odd that they started the range with a quieter story, but got into the rhythm. I did like the thing with the Doctor being on the edge of snapping back into being 'the Doctor', but realizing that he couldn't because of the time war.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

OldMemes posted:

Just decided to start the War Doctor boxsets, and listened to ""The Innocent". At first I thought it was odd that they started the range with a quieter story, but got into the rhythm. I did like the thing with the Doctor being on the edge of snapping back into being 'the Doctor', but realizing that he couldn't because of the time war.

That's one of the most interesting aspects of The War Doctor. It's not like he regenerated into Rambo (or better yet, The Master). He still wants to do the right thing, the good thing. He still values life. But the war pushes him. He also develops a self-destructive streak. "Legion of the Lost" in Vol 2 is a great story.

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 32 days!
I just realized (after uploading and organizing my Big Finish and BBC Audio DW stuff to my Plex media server, because I'm totally cool and not at all a nerd) that I hadn't been on the BF site in forever, so I wandered on there and of course ended up buying like 3 audios (from the old "Monthly Adventures" range, because they're only $2.99 and I'm cheap). I suspect this is going to lead to me buying more stuff again down the road...

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

Ooooh ...

https://twitter.com/bigfinish/status/1354829537083850761?s=20

Gameko
Feb 23, 2006

I've been watching the 2nd doctor story arc "The Invasion." We had a 3-day Who-Fest in college (Started Friday night and went into Sunday evening) and I fell asleep somewhere on Saturday morning, missing this serial completely. My friends persistently said it was good, and I must say it's pretty interesting. Bonus for me: the lost episodes have that audio/animated feature treatment, which we did not get back in the VHS era.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!
It has one of the classic cliffhanger lines too Is this what you want? To be the ruler of a dead world!

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 32 days!
The Invasion is one of my favorite 2nd Doctor stories for a ton of reasons, but a big one is Kevin Stoney's smugly evil recitation of his henchman's name.

:smuggo: "Packer..."

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

https://twitter.com/bigfinish/status/1355169050419220485?s=20

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Sydney Bottocks posted:

The Invasion is one of my favorite 2nd Doctor stories for a ton of reasons, but a big one is Kevin Stoney's smugly evil recitation of his henchman's name.

:smuggo: "Packer..."

Listening to the commentary and hearing their sheer delight as Packer (...:smug:) gets progressively more and more unkempt and overwhelmed by the crazy bullshit going on around him is so great.

Gameko
Feb 23, 2006

Packer!

There were some pretty choice melodramatic lines in that series, that's for sure. I also like the constant radio exchanges.

"Yes sir. We'll follow them sir. Over and out."

"What did he say?"

"He said they'd follow them!"

Robert J. Omb
Dec 1, 2005
The 'J' stands for 'AAARRGH!'

Smashing! It always seemed strange to me that Pertwee didn’t face the Cybermen in his original run. May have had something to do with the burnout of Troughton battling them every second story or so...

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Robert J. Omb posted:

Smashing! It always seemed strange to me that Pertwee didn’t face the Cybermen in his original run. May have had something to do with the burnout of Troughton battling them every second story or so...

This is at least the third time BF's gone to the Pertwee / Cybermen well tho.

Robert J. Omb
Dec 1, 2005
To my eternal shame, I have never heard a Pertwee audio.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
Same, how is the impersonator?

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

The_Doctor posted:

Same, how is the impersonator?

In terms of performance or in terms of impersonation?

He's good, sometimes he's legitimately great, mostly because it's a performance first and an impersonation second.

If you're looking for recommendations, I'd go with the fourth set, but neither story is going to set your world on fire.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

https://twitter.com/georgiaEtennant/status/1355414277503524866?s=20

Gameko
Feb 23, 2006

PBS broadcasts remind me of Dr. Who.

Here's a question...what happened to the buget for the show between the 2nd and 3rd doctors? Troughton's run never seemed to skimp on sets, extras, music...Pertwee's Doctor always felt held back. The music definitely seemed to take a nosedive during the 3rd doctor...and wasn't the decision to keep him on earth an excuse to slash budgets?

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!
The switch to colour (and also the HD of the day, going from 425 to 625 lines) was expensive for the BBC, as they had to cover the cost of replacing every single piece of video equipment in late 1969 when BBC1 went full colour.

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

Rewatched The Snowmen

Very Eleventh Houry with its dialogue and character bickering ("Who do you take me for?" "Sherlock Holmes.")

A very fun version of Clara as well, although since it's ultimately the same Clara as the rest of 'em, I guess we still got a few Series with her, in the end?

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Payndz posted:

The switch to colour (and also the HD of the day, going from 425 to 625 lines) was expensive for the BBC, as they had to cover the cost of replacing every single piece of video equipment in late 1969 when BBC1 went full colour.

bit mean to take that completely out of DW's budget

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!

Gameko posted:

PBS broadcasts remind me of Dr. Who.

Here's a question...what happened to the buget for the show between the 2nd and 3rd doctors? Troughton's run never seemed to skimp on sets, extras, music...Pertwee's Doctor always felt held back. The music definitely seemed to take a nosedive during the 3rd doctor...and wasn't the decision to keep him on earth an excuse to slash budgets?

The ratings had fallen and the show was a bit out of favour. Also, the 3rd doctor isn't super cheap - look at some of the stuff Havoc do, eg Ambassadors of Death

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

If she ever wants a break she could alway go to her dad's pla... oh yeah :sweatdrop:

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!

Dabir posted:

It somehow came out of Babylon 5's budget, much to JMS's surprise and dismay two and a half decades later.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Dabir posted:

Look, the BBC Controller really wanted that extra danish :colbert:

Rochallor
Apr 23, 2010

ふっっっっっっっっっっっっck
It's nothing more than speculation, but I would bet that the actors in the Pertwee era on were paid better than in the black and white days. Shooting episodes almost every week is not a production that's taking care of its crew, so I wouldn't be surprised if they weren't getting less than in Season 7. Pertwee was also probably better known than Hartnell or Troughton, and therefore more expensive.

OldMemes
Sep 5, 2011

I have to go now. My planet needs me.
My favourite bit of Pertwee trivia is that the Doctor having a shower in Spearhead in Space wasn't in the script, the crew just REALLY liked the shower in the building they were filming, and insisted on using it for a scene.

I got called a hipster yesterday for saying that the Eighth Doctor is becoming one of my favourite of the Doctors

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

If I remember right didn't that also mean that Pertwee's old tattoo got revealed, which made some hyper-nerds from pre-Internet days lose their minds trying to come up with an "explanation" for how a newly regenerated Doctor had a tattoo, and decided it must be a Gallifrey prison-symbol or something to mark him as an exile? :laugh:

usenet celeb 1992
Jun 1, 2000

he thought quoting borges would make him popular
Nick Briggs will NOT return my emails about my fully completed seven box-set Season 6b script series explaining the origins of the tattoo and that is NOT okay

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

usenet celeb 1992 posted:

Nick Briggs will NOT return my emails about my fully completed seven box-set Season 6b script series explaining the origins of the tattoo and that is NOT okay

Weird, I just sent him an email about "usenet celeb 1992's fully completed seven box-set Season 6b script series explaining the origins of the tattoo.... of the Daleks!" and he immediately started honking his horn outside my house telling me to hurry up and get to the studio so we could start recording.

Robert J. Omb
Dec 1, 2005

Jerusalem posted:

Look, the BBC Controller really wanted that artisan cookie :colbert:

Gameko
Feb 23, 2006

I rather thought the color switch might be the reason.

Pertwee's run is the one I'm the most willfully ignorant of. When a Pertwee episode was on I just changed the channel. :( Guess I'm off to watch spearhead from space!

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!
I'm almost at the end of my Pertweeathon, which started at least two years ago - only 'Planet of the Spiders' to go. It's interesting as both the first era I remember as a kid, and for taking an overtly political stance; Three might come across as an aristocratic authority figure, but the stories put him very much in an anti-exploitation stance (he fights imperialism, colonialism, capitalism, militarism and nationalism). Probably because the writers were among the most left-leaning in the show's history, including an actual communist (Malcolm Hulke).

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

Reading an interview with Eric Roberts in the new Big Finish Vortex, and he says he has his BF boxsets on display in his home.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Davros1 posted:

Reading an interview with Eric Roberts in the new Big Finish Vortex, and he says he has his BF boxsets on display in his home.

Right next to this i bet

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

It's funny how common the sentiment was, pre him doing big finish, that Eric Roberts was too big time now to do anything Doctor Who. It's like, people, he did A Talking Cat!?! after he was in The Dark Knight.