Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
MOTN
This poll is closed.
PAC vs KINGSTON 22 24.18%
JURASSIC EXPRESS VS FTR 4 4.40%
TAY VS DEEB 30 32.97%
DARBY VS FTW 35 38.46%
Total: 91 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

The most commonly regarded opposite of success is failure, as well as synonyms of failure.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

shiksa
Nov 9, 2009

i went to one of these wrestling shows and it was... honestly? frickin boring. i wanna see ricky! i want to see his gold chains and respect for the ftw lifestyle
jade cargill has an incredible look, was way better at delivering her lines tonight, quick improvement is good, and she reminded me of the tall girl holding the small girl up against the wall meme (if you know what i mean you know what i mean) so yeah as long as she isnt catastrophically terrible in the ring im looking forward to..... whatever theyre doing with jade cargill

Pylons
Mar 16, 2009

Really fun Dynamite tonight. Only thing I would've done is cut out Thunder Rosa's segment because it looked really out of place with her having to zoom in.

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan
https://twitter.com/TayConti_/status/1349578845003935745?s=20
https://twitter.com/dustinrhodes/status/1349582050161029120?s=20
https://twitter.com/davemeltzerWON/status/1349600814961049602?s=20

Reminder that Big Dustin is worth 100 performance centers

Pylons
Mar 16, 2009

There are a lot of comeback stories thanks to AEW but Dustin's is up there.

Jonny Nox
Apr 26, 2008

Honestly at this point if Jade can’t wrestle AEW seems to have a secret cabal of super coaches that bring out the best in their talent.

They got Leva fuckin’ Bates to ‘watchable’
People actually want to see Britt Baker as champion!

If Jade has a scrap of talent, she’s in the right place.

Lead Pipe Cinch
Mar 10, 2003

Heavy Metal Bakesale

Pylons posted:

Really fun Dynamite tonight. Only thing I would've done is cut out Thunder Rosa's segment because it looked really out of place with her having to zoom in.

If they in any way segued to the previously on clip or just cut straight to Rosa’s promo, I think it’s just better enough to not have come off as strange. Other than that I liked the segment.

Just finished on the west coast, really liked the show top to bottom, besides the weekly reminder that it’s incredibly hard to sustain enthusiasm for the Judas singalong in an empty arena, even when they’re paying you to do it.

No dud segments and I’m interested in everything they started building for future weeks.

Gonna make a wild prediction that Leyla gets the underdog win on Nyla to pick back up the Nyla/Vickie rift they started last PPV.

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

I came here to chew bubblegum and quote 'They Live', and I'm... at an impasse.
Pay the wrestlicious guy $40, have Serena cut a you people promo and turn back into paige webb. everyone hates the Internet, it’s a great heel gimmick

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

I came here to chew bubblegum and quote 'They Live', and I'm... at an impasse.
Theory: Cody intended to tell everyone he would ALSO not tag with SCU if they lost a match.

Eat My Fuc
May 29, 2007

Dustin is a better worker than Dusty, he just never got a decent gimmick to carry his work, that's my hot take.

Jonny Nox
Apr 26, 2008

Pylons posted:

There are a lot of comeback stories thanks to AEW but Dustin's is up there.

For someone who seemed so defeated by life at so many points in his career, I think Dustin Rhodes is my favorite small story from AEW.

He was so clearly touched by the crowd's reaction in his match with Cody.

edit: OH! Also: What are the chances the Elite swerve had more to do with Nick not wanting to gently caress with his leg?

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
One thing I liked was that Britt Baker's show had a proper "set" for it, like wrestler talk shows are supposed to have, instead of the WWE approach of just putting some chairs in the ring. (Also Baker is having WAY too much fun with this.)

shiksa
Nov 9, 2009

i went to one of these wrestling shows and it was... honestly? frickin boring. i wanna see ricky! i want to see his gold chains and respect for the ftw lifestyle

Jonny Nox posted:

For someone who seemed so defeated by life at so many points in his career, I think Dustin Rhodes is my favorite small story from AEW.

He was so clearly touched by the crowd's reaction in his match with Cody.

edit: OH! Also: What are the chances the Elite swerve had more to do with Nick not wanting to gently caress with his leg?

hm i mean kenny and good brothers having a televised match ahead of impacts ppv makes sense, but if it wasn't already the plan before nick messed up his leg it definitely was after.

Pylons
Mar 16, 2009

I hope Ricky has to sell the bat injury for a bit. This is why Team Taz didn't rush Sting and Darby.

Cage Kicker
Feb 20, 2009

End of the fiscal year, bitch.
MP's got time to order pens for year year, hooah?

SKILCRAFT KREW Reppin' Quality Blind Made

Lipstick Apathy
I figured they were going for intentionally bad with the Britt segment and they hit it out of the park, I was dying with laughter how lovely and ridiculous it was

Eat My Fuc
May 29, 2007

I thought the waiting room segement was awesome, Jade's outfit was the best gear i've ever seen on a woman in wrestling. It was funny and entertaining and felt real and unscripted.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
It went exactly as every wrestling talk show segment should go, devolving into total chaos. AND it advanced two storylines in the women's division!

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

i died laughing at just the timing of Britt saying "No, Tony said I don't have to wrestle her, we're going to the beach" followed the graphic of the match happening at Beach Break going up on the TurnerTron and Britt yelling NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

smarxist
Jul 26, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

Maxwell Lord posted:

(Also Baker is having WAY too much fun with this.)

she could slot into any daytime talk spot and crush it as a catty heel host

Aye Doc
Jul 19, 2007

i wish orange cassidy got to do cool things

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
Oh great, I already spend all my time worrying about Minoru Suzuki coming to murder me and now you're telling me I also have to worry about Tay Conti coming to murder me? :mad: (But seriously she's improving so much and I'm so glad I jumped on the Tay train early)

I'm still not feeling Jade Cargill though. Hopefully she can go in the ring cause her character work is doing nothing for me

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

Tay Conti needs to be on Bloodsport

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe
Really fun show this week. Tay and Serena were super good and Brian Cage is an absolute monster holy poo poo.

Eat My Fuc
May 29, 2007

Tay is welcome to murder me

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

It's like goldy or bronzy, but made of iron.

Dynathoughts

1) Eddie Kingston vs PAC, we start with the package from the Road To, which was an awesome package. PAC walks out all businesslike and just knocks gently caress out of Kingston, I love it. This starts off as a pure and simple rear end kicking, with Kingston absorbing gallons of damage, and then finally getting the opportunity to return it. The way Eddie reacts to pain like it's a personal insult is just wonderful to watch. Eddie doing a popeye expression was awesome. And all this time PAC is just woodchippering. Even as things become much more back and forth, PAC's offense is just so beautiful as a pure expression of violence. Black arrow, pin, then brutalizer. This was one of the best 10 minute TV matches of all time.

Eddie's family interferes, Lance Archer comes out and scares them off, and there's all sorts of interesting energy here.

2) Chuck Taylor vs Miro. White meat fire from Chuckie T, who knows he can't let Miro get a step. Chuck really goes on a tear, until Miro just dismantles him. After which he just dies. Miro is such a loving monster.

The Butler / Young Boy thing has comedy potential.

Matt and Private Party. Matt is definitely an rear end in a top hat now and it works well.

Inner Circle out with their new years resolutions. It's an okay segment but not stupendous. Tag Team Slut was funny. Three way inner circle tag match could be fun. Sammy Hager.

Dark Order do a goofy face promo with Hangmin. Cool.

Tension backstage with the Bucks and Kenny.

3) Kenny and Good Brothers vs Varsity Blondes and Danny Limelight. Oh, nice bait and switch. Well done, lads. This is an rear end kicking, but I'm delighted to see denny lamlat shining albeit briefly on TV. Limelight's rope walk headscissors was gorgeous. Sign this kid. I appreciate that they're letting low rung babyfaces have shine here. This could easily have just been a murder. It also reinforces that the Good Brothers are pretty good. This was a very enjoyable match.

And post-match we get Mox. Of course. One thing I really appreciate is that commentary put over that the Good Brothers are a threat. Penta and Fenix save Mox. Everyone's out... then the Bucks try and make peace. They're taken care of by Penta and Fenix. Just a fantastic absurd brawl.

The Waiting Room. Rebel is so good as a stooge. Love the "check under your seats" spot. Love the Reba laugh. Green jacket today, huh, Cody? Sparkler pyro is fun.

Oh. And it's Jade Cargill. The energy flees the room. I know some people are into her and I get it from the look and the athleticism, but her mic work leaves me entirely cold. On the other hand, I liked the visual of pocket rocket Red Velvet standing up to her, and the chaotic brawl was well executed.

Wait, why are we playing the Thunder Rosa footage again? New Thunder Rosa promo, I like that it's bilingual, I dislike that it's recorded on a potato.

Thoughts on this segment: what?

4) Jungle Boy and Marko Stunt vs FTR. Love that Jungle Boy gets Tarzan Boy as his music. Marko has great Little Dog energy. There are some really fun spots here. This is the kind of match where FTR's heeling works for me because it's countered by Marko and Jungle Boy's chaos. I enjoy FTR when they're heeling by being good and smart, which isn't always the case. This wasn't bad at all.

5) Tay Conti vs Serena Deeb. Tay out with Anna Jay and the Dark Order. Serena's music is practically inaudible. Tay getting octopus holds is awesome. I sort of want her to rethink costume details, but if she's happy with the look, good for her. This is a very good hard hitting match, by the way. Conti is killing it. Just solid work beginning to end. And was Anna setting up a challenge there?

Going to be honest, next week's show seems kind of midrange.

6) Darby Allin vs Brian Cage. I know it won't happen but I want Cage to just dominate. Oh, and that's largely what I get. Darby is just comprehensively murdered by Cage until Darby gets some fightback opportunities. This is pretty good fun. And we finally get Sting on offense! This has about the ending I thought it would. I don't find Darby interesting, but this was a decent match.

Overall a good show rather than a great show. They opened with their best match but nothing was bad

inthesto
May 12, 2010

Pro is an amazing name!
Setting up Jade Cargill's first feud to be with Red Velvet is really smart booking. Red is both a very good technical wrestler and sells like a champion, so even if Jade's ringwork is sub-par, Red's skill and size difference means Jade can do fairly basic power stuff and still look like a million bucks.

Also I'm excited that the whole Miro/Kip vs Best Friends thing has turned out to be an Orange Cassidy vehicle. I have a hunch this is another audible that had to be called after Trent got injured and that OC could benefit from another month or so from cooling off on the sidelines, but at the same time it's the perfect story for "OC gets serious again".

My only gripe for this episode was that Conti/Deeb was main event quality and should have mained its own episode.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

Eat My Fuc posted:

Tay is welcome to murder me

:chast2b:

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

inthesto posted:

Also I'm excited that the whole Miro/Kip vs Best Friends thing has turned out to be an Orange Cassidy vehicle. I have a hunch this is another audible that had to be called after Trent got injured and that OC could benefit from another month or so from cooling off on the sidelines, but at the same time it's the perfect story for "OC gets serious again".

I'm guessing Miro/OC at Revolution was always the plan considering its the biggest matchup you can get from that story

Dango Bango
Jul 26, 2007

I love how the matches for hot feuds last night had hot starts. Instead of MUST DO ENTRANCE and lazy lockups.

(Why yes I'm still mad at the Miz for doing this poo poo in the Bray/Fiend feud where Miz's kid was involved.)

CobiWann
Oct 21, 2009

Have fun!
CHAMPIONSHIPS!

If that's all Hager yells for the next year, I'm fine with it.

Dango Bango
Jul 26, 2007

CobiWann posted:

CHAMPIONSHIPS!

If that's all Hager yells for the next year, I'm fine with it.

Bonus points if it leads to a "Hager only pawn..." line as the Inner Circle breaks up

inthesto
May 12, 2010

Pro is an amazing name!
I hate the fact that Jake Hager is really good at making me laugh

CobiWann
Oct 21, 2009

Have fun!

inthesto posted:

I hate the fact that Jake Hager is really good at making me laugh

I enjoy Hager when he's the goofy jock type instead of the intense badass.

A Fancy Hat
Nov 18, 2016

Always remember that the former President was dumber than the dumbest person you've ever met by a wide margin

That was an incredible episode of Dynamite, top to bottom. Jade Cargill's promo skills are leaps and bounds above where they were last time; it's pretty great to see people grow so quickly from one appearance to the next. She's still got room to grow, but to go from "absolutely emotionless and awkward" to "solid" is a huge leap.

Darby vs Cage was so good, I can't get over how often AEW can do the "Big guy vs little guy" match and keep it fresh and exciting.

magiccarpet
Jan 3, 2005

I can't believe nobody got thrown through a window on that lovely set

Warthur
May 2, 2004

magiccarpet posted:

I can't believe nobody got thrown through a window on that lovely set
They've had someone go through the wall on the Waiting Room segments on Dark before.

Malcolm Excellent
May 20, 2007

Buglord
At road to Double or Nothing we're getting a Sammy / Hagar promo about how it's finally their time to claim the tag team titles, it will be set to Right Now

Ganso Bomb
Oct 24, 2005

turn it all around

Last night had 3 separate things going on in the women's division and that kicks rear end.

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

It's like goldy or bronzy, but made of iron.

Warthur posted:

They've had someone go through the wall on the Waiting Room segments on Dark before.

Next step is for someone to burst through the wall to grab someone else.

Ganso Bomb posted:

Last night had 3 separate things going on in the women's division and that kicks rear end.

If you count the announcement of Nyla / Leyla they had four.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spuckuk
Aug 11, 2009

Being a bastard works

Dynamite was good as hell, thats my short review.