Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
most modern stick shift cars have a hill holder that does this for you but I doubt a 99 civic does

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

angryrobots posted:

As I recall, rolling back on a hill is an auto-fail of driving test in some countries. Using the handbrake is both expected and taught.

Yup, in the UK it's an instant fail because you're not in control.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
True in the US as well, at least in my state, but nobody takes the test in a manual transmission car because there are far more ways to get dinged and the license is identical no matter what kind of car you use.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
The car is only rolling backwards because I let it!

CannonFodder
Jan 26, 2001

Passion’s Wrench

wilfredmerriweathr posted:

Do this, you will learn the exact point at which your clutch starts to engage. Then you can bring the clutch pedal to exactly the engagement point and quickly add a bit of throttle as the pedal passes this point. Practice this for a day or two and you'll internalize the muscle movements.

Also since you provided no reference I will assume you are driving a 1996 geo prizm, a great economy car if I've ever seen one.
I learned on a 1996 Toyota Corolla which was literally the same car from the same plant. Stalled it a few times but that's how you learn. 90s econoboxes have very forgiving clutches and synchros.

Olympic Mathlete posted:

Yup, in the UK it's an instant fail because you're not in control.
In the US it's a fail if, when taking a turn, you release the steering wheel to let it return to center and catch it. It's required to use hand over hand or the shuffle method. Releasing the wheel counts as not being in control.

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

CannonFodder posted:

In the US it's a fail if, when taking a turn, you release the steering wheel to let it return to center and catch it. It's required to use hand over hand or the shuffle method. Releasing the wheel counts as not being in control.
Me, every chance I get:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jc7WR0tfsuQ&t=285s

e: shoutout to 6:18, as well

Krakkles fucked around with this message at 21:19 on Jan 18, 2021

AFewBricksShy
Jun 19, 2003

of a full load.

The only thing I don't like about my 99 ranger is that the e-brake is a pedal and not a hand brake.

teh_Broseph
Oct 21, 2010

THE LAST METROID IS IN
CATTIVITY. THE GALAXY
IS AT PEACE...
Lipstick Apathy
Probably not what OP's worried about yet, but does it matter for clutch wear and tear if you give a some gas as you let off the clutch pedal when shifting up? (Assuming reasonably close rev matching and not flooring the gas pedal or anything.) I can smoothly shift easier that way and what I learned to do back in the day, but wondering if long term I should make myself just get super good at shift timing and wait to use gas if that's a thing.

Actual tip for OP from me re-adjusting to driving stick after a decade, in addition to finding the bite point by just starting rolling in 1st by just letting out the clutch, it's also helped me to occasionally put the e-brake when stopped in 1st and let out the clutch pedal just enough to feel the car wanting to pull forward. I know it's the same as just getting rolling, but something about having the car not move while doing it helps it click in my muscle memory.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

teh_Broseph posted:

Probably not what OP's worried about yet, but does it matter for clutch wear and tear if you give a some gas as you let off the clutch pedal when shifting up? (Assuming reasonably close rev matching and not flooring the gas pedal or anything.) I can smoothly shift easier that way and what I learned to do back in the day, but wondering if long term I should make myself just get super good at shift timing and wait to use gas if that's a thing.
When shifting up? You shouldn't need to unless you take too long and the revs fall past where they should be, just release gas, press in clutch, shift, release clutch, mash gas. If you do take too long, it can be helpful to add gas to match the speeds better for a smoother shift and lower wear.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane
I can't stress this enough to especially drivers who are just starting to drive stick: the clutch is a wear item, just like brakes. It will need replacement eventually, that's just a fact of life. If it doesn't smell bad (trust me, you will know when you're burning clutch) and the car is driving smoothly, chances are you're basically okay and there's no reason to worry about it a huge amount.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

teh_Broseph posted:

Just go all out and bury your right foot, keep it planted and THEN shift. As above, clutch is a wear item and this way you can replace it sooner. :v:

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Olympic Mathlete posted:

Just go all out and bury your right foot, keep it planted and THEN shift. As above, clutch is a wear item and this way you can replace it sooner. :v:

Flat foot shifting baybee

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

mobby_6kl posted:

When shifting up? You shouldn't need to unless you take too long and the revs fall past where they should be, just release gas, press in clutch, shift, release clutch, mash gas. If you do take too long, it can be helpful to add gas to match the speeds better for a smoother shift and lower wear.
This, exactly. If you feel like adding gas when upshifting would help, shift faster, release clutch faster.

(Then get a lightweight flywheel, and do it even faster.)

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

On the internet, nobody knows you're a dog.

What's the best way to turn in a manual gear-wise? I drove to the gas station and the coffee shop today and every time I turned it felt like I was doing it wrong.

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

BIG FLUFFY DOG posted:

What's the best way to turn in a manual gear-wise? I drove to the gas station and the coffee shop today and every time I turned it felt like I was doing it wrong.
Downshift to second, stay in gear, clutch pedal out/clutch engaged.

Second will work all the way from a dead stop if you need it to, at least on flat ground, and in most cars (~98 civic included) it should take you most of the way to 60mph. Not that you should do that (60 in second), but you can certainly cover a corner into a coffee shop somewhere between stopped and 60mph.

Scud Hansen
Dec 13, 2015

Darkness and Evil
When I bought my truck this summer, I looked up how to drive stick on youtube the morning before I bought it, then I drove it home like 90 miles.

If I'd had to do a hill start I would have been screwed but it turned out alright I guess.

The first couple weeks driving around my neighborhood (big rear end hills) were so stressful I literally laid awake at night after practicing having an anxiety attack but now after a couple months it's like second nature.

Course now my clutch has started rattling like crazy when I put it down so I guess I need to think about doing a kit. No idea if it's worth it.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

Krakkles posted:

Downshift to second, stay in gear, clutch pedal out/clutch engaged.

This. In an ideal world, you'd be fully in 2nd before beginning the turn. In reality, once you get used to it, you'll probably find yourself downshifting through the turn.

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

I'll set the building on fire
Ideally you're in the right gear before you start turning. You can just slowly let the clutch out while you're braking to avoid too much jerking.

To do it more quickly and smoothly, you rev the engine a little to bring it to the right speed for your new gear. Which means using all three pedals at the same time. I brake with the left side of the ball of my foot and use the right side of my heel to blip the throttle but people do it differently depending on their feet and pedals.

E- here's a video of a guy doing some downshifts like that

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JUVkVB3SUf4

jamal fucked around with this message at 22:48 on Jan 22, 2021

space chandeliers
Apr 8, 2008

jamal posted:

To do it more quickly and smoothly, you rev the engine a little to bring it to the right speed for your new gear. Which means using all three pedals at the same time. I brake with the left side of the ball of my foot and use the right side of my heel to blip the throttle but people do it differently depending on their feet and pedals.

This was incredibly fun and intuitive to do in an E30. I've tried heel-toeing smoothly in my Trooper but I don't think it's built for that kind of spirited driving.

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

most modern stick shift cars have a hill holder that does this for you but I doubt a 99 civic does

this is the best feature and they also auto don't stall on takeoff so you can drive with one leg out the window.

KidDynamite
Feb 11, 2005

so you never ever mis-shift 4>5 grab the shifter thumb down push that sucker away.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

Elephanthead posted:

this is the best feature and they also auto don't stall on takeoff so you can drive with one leg out the window.

Wait, what? My car will absolutely stall with hill-hold on if you gently caress up releasing the clutch (made more difficult by the fact that you don't know quite when the brake is going to release). I don't use hill hold in any except the steepest situations, I've stalled more times with it than without it.

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

space chandeliers posted:

This was incredibly fun and intuitive to do in an E30. I've tried heel-toeing smoothly in my Trooper but I don't think it's built for that kind of spirited driving.
I learned how to heel-toe in an ‘89 trooper.

Built for it? Nah. It is doable, though.

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

I really need to practice downshifting. I can't do it without the car jerking around.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Some of that is trial and error on each new car you drive to learn how each gear links engine speed to wheel speed so you can set the engine speed appropriately. Watch the tach at different speeds for 2nd, 3rd, and 4th while you’re driving at different speeds to start developing that sense for your own car.

Fermented Tinal
Aug 25, 2005

by Pragmatica

BIG FLUFFY DOG posted:

I really need to practice downshifting. I can't do it without the car jerking around.

I've found that my downshifting has only been able to improve with years of driving stick. I've got size 14 feet and I find it really hard to heel-toe and double-clutch because my feet don't fit.

Also, can't keep my left heel planted while using the clutch. My father claims this is necessary, but I've been driving stick for almost a decade now and can't do it.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Planted as in on the floor? Yeah I’ve never done that. Clutch has always been leg and foot motion combined for me.

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

I've been told I should try to keep my right heel on the same spot of the floor except when blipping the throttle but yeah what are you supposed to do if the clutch pedal needs to move farther than your ankle can do. Which is the case for most cars and ankles probably.

A thin soled "driving shoe" like a puma speedcat might help. I actually can't heel-toe as well in mine and never wear them because the soles are really narrow and it's more of a reach to the throttle (size 12, black, look brand new if anyone wants them before they go to goodwill). My minimalist new balance running shoes are probably my favorite, hiking boots my least favorite to drive in.

jamal fucked around with this message at 06:48 on Jan 24, 2021

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher
Keeping the ankle planted while using the clutch / brake etc?

No. Unless you have a pedalbox do it however you feel comfortable with.

wilfredmerriweathr
Jul 11, 2005
I "step" on the clutch with my whole foot. Definitely no keeping the heel planted nonsense.

The release is all in the legs and knees.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

One thing I learned when I was learning to drive stick is that most people have very little insight into how they actually do things. It becomes so automatic that it's hard to know and explain exactly what you're doing, so people mostly explain what they assume they're doing.

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

PT6A posted:

One thing I learned when I was learning to drive stick is that most people have very little insight into how they actually do things. It becomes so automatic that it's hard to know and explain exactly what you're doing, so people mostly explain what they assume they're doing.

I assume I'm killing the transmission as I learn but I've made my peace with that.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

BIG FLUFFY DOG posted:

I assume I'm killing the transmission as I learn but I've made my peace with that.

You're almost certainly not. People get the idea that manual transmissions are made of crepe paper and fine porcelain, but actually they can stand up to a lot of abuse. If you don't smell clutch (and even if you do one or twice) -- and I'd like to make very clear you will know when you are smelling burning clutch, it's not subtle at all -- your transmission will be fine.

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

Never thought going through a Wendys drive-through for lunch would feel like am accomplishment but here we are

Fermented Tinal
Aug 25, 2005

by Pragmatica
Drive-thrus and stop-n-go traffic can be a bit challenging, but every time you do it, it's valuable practice, even if just for launching. Feel proud of the small accomplishments, you're well on your way to being a mediocre stick shifter and after that, to get good, it's just a decade of practice. Then you too can still stall at a green light once a month or so and roll back on hills. :v:

PT6A posted:

You're almost certainly not. People get the idea that manual transmissions are made of crepe paper and fine porcelain, but actually they can stand up to a lot of abuse. If you don't smell clutch (and even if you do one or twice) -- and I'd like to make very clear you will know when you are smelling burning clutch, it's not subtle at all -- your transmission will be fine.

Echoing this; while it's not impossible to destroy a manual gearbox, it's also not that easy. A determined idiot would find it challenging. The gears are permanently meshed so you can't actually grind them, except for the reverse idler gear but even those can get ground a lot before they cause problems. The synchros aren't permanently meshed, and they're more or less sacrificial. When you grind the gears in a manual gearbox you're grinding the synchros, not the gears themselves. You can totally wear them out, but a shop press and gumption is all you need to replace them. Wearing them out takes a lot of grinding though.

The clutch is probably the easiest thing to wreck, but it's also a wear part. If you don't know what mileage is on the clutch that's in it, beat the poo poo out of it until it starts slipping, then replace.

Also anything I said here applies to the type of gearbox one would find in an everyday car like a late 90s Civic.

AFewBricksShy
Jun 19, 2003

of a full load.

I think keeping your foot planted completely depends on the car.

Taking my 99 ranger on a drive is absolutely a leg day exercise.
My BRZ on the other hand I just tap my feet, heels can stay planted.

When I'm on a drive for the sake of being on a drive, I'll wear my sambas, they let me feel the clutch a lot more than my work boots do (daily work wear).

Turbo Fondant
Oct 25, 2010

Fermented Tinal posted:

The gears are permanently meshed so you can't actually grind them, except for the reverse idler gear

I hate to get all :goonsay: up in this super wholesome thread but the reverse idler is definitely in constant mesh in every modern gearbox I've been into.

Fermented Tinal
Aug 25, 2005

by Pragmatica

Turbo Fondant posted:

I hate to get all :goonsay: up in this super wholesome thread but the reverse idler is definitely in constant mesh in every modern gearbox I've been into.

This isn't the case in W series Toyota transmissions, which is what I was going by. Then again, those are pretty old now.

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

I've gotten way way better. I'm at the point where I don't have to think about gears that much anymore and hillstarts are no longer an issue at all. One question though: when I brake I neutral roll to the stop. Apparently this is wrong and I'm supposed to downshift in case someone's about to rear-end me (I highly doubt I will ever be able to avoid being rear-ended since this almost always happens in super-high-traffic situations at least to me but the car forums insist otherwise). How do I do this without redlining my car or loving up the engine? Am I fine just continuing my bad habit? Remember I have no tach.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

Are you just not downshifting at all right now? What do you do when you slow down for traffic or to go around corners?

The easy way is just put it in the next lowest gear and let the clutch gently bring up the revs. The smoother, faster, better way is to rev match with a little blip of the throttle. Which like I mentioned before, means working two pedals with one foot if you're doing it while braking.