Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

Mods please change my name to "Tooter Skeleton" TIA.

yeah we read three books every night and now I have to do a made up story on top of that as well, which I am apparently best at and my wife is bad at, lol. my stories always end with everyone falling asleep.

the nursery said that "she is an extremely strong willed child" so she's not just doing it for us at least

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zokie
Feb 13, 2006

Out of many, Sweden
just Nthing that you should read to you your kids, it is the best

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

devmd01 posted:

to be clear, we are no longer reading to them. bedtime is at 8, but lights out at 9. You’re bored? here’s a book. now that is just their behavior, it’s fantastic.

reading to your kids as much as possible before they can read themselves is absolutely a brain booster for them.

My kids still want me to read to them, but more as a soporific to help them fall asleep.

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

Volmarias posted:

My kids still want me to read to them, but more as a soporific to help them fall asleep.

bit weird to read your posts to your kids imo

Branch Nvidian
Nov 29, 2012

devmd01 posted:

One of the twins just had an insane lexile score increase, basically two grade reading levels. It’s only 3 months since the previous standardized assessment. I guess reading for an hour every night before lights out is paying off. :stare:

Eeyo posted:

i’m working our boy through the 1000 books before kindergarten thing. idk how much reading to him actually helps, but he gets like 2 or 3 readings a day.

FAT32 SHAMER posted:

anecdotally, our kids have historically gotten way more communicative after we start reading to them and their vocabulary gets bigger l, but idk if that’s from reading or it just happens to coincide with them starting to bring us books to read them

my niece being nine and struggling to read books that I feel should be an absolute breeze is probably due to my brother and his wife doing the exact opposite of what y'all have been doing

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

believe me, when you read that one particular book for the 250th time you are going to cling onto the idea that this is providing some level of educational benefit

Eeyo
Aug 29, 2004

i like dr seuss’s abcs.

it’s slightly awkward since every letter is “big a little a what begins with a? aunt annie’s alligator a a a”

and then when you get to k you realize you have to say kkk at the end

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

big fan of A Child's Garden of Verses for reading to younger kids

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

Eeyo posted:

i like dr seuss’s abcs.

it’s slightly awkward since every letter is “big a little a what begins with a? aunt annie’s alligator a a a”

and then when you get to k you realize you have to say kkk at the end

wocket in my pocket is nutty about this, very fun to read dramatically lol

jeebus bob
Nov 4, 2004

Festina lente
We own the one about the mole that wants to find out who poo poo on its head, in as many languages as we can confidently read and speak. Great fun for exposing the kids to different types of vocalizations and speech patterns.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

Powerful Two-Hander posted:

bit weird to read your posts to your kids imo

How else will they know how not to write?

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

devmd01 posted:

One of the twins just had an insane lexile score increase, basically two grade reading levels. It’s only 3 months since the previous standardized assessment. I guess reading for an hour every night before lights out is paying off. :stare:
we let our youngest read a little before bed and now she can basically read on her own, but isn't supposed to for another year at school. welp.

Eeyo
Aug 29, 2004

well my boy’s finally walking. he can go a few feet from the couch to me if i convince him.

he’s like crab-walking, probably because that’s most similar to cruising.

Arson Daily
Aug 11, 2003

Eeyo posted:

my son was born over a year ago and apparently my wife is still fighting with insurance companies for the medical bills for his delivery. apparently there’s some goofy poo poo where they like prorate some of the prenatal care as part of the delivery charges or some such nonsense. her work switched insurance companies at the new year and he was born early in january so the current and former insurance companies are intransigent on who’s paying for what.

cool system we’ve got here love this poo poo

my wife had preeclampsia and gave birth to our daughter a month early because of it. the insurance company didn't think that inducing her was warranted and wanted to deny our claim for the birth. Like, gently caress, you're second guessing doctors? what the gently caress? then they didn't want to reimburse the anesthesiologist because while she gave birth in an in network hospital the guy handing out the pain meds apparently wasn't. I finally threw up my hands and started throwing away all of the bills and explanation of benefits letters they would send me and let them and the hospital fight it out and waited for them to sue me at some point. 2 years!!!! later they finally stopped and showed everything paid up. gently caress insurance companies.

My daughter in law today said to my little girl that it was ok to cry sometimes if you're feeling sad to which my kid replied "I don't have feelings so I don't need to do that" lolololol. Not having feelings is not a thing that could ever be said about my daughter lol

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

it’s 4 am and this sick little guy can’t sleep :(

Arson Daily
Aug 11, 2003

norovirus. Again

kitten emergency
Jan 13, 2008

get meow this wack-ass crystal prison
somehow*, norovirus returned

*children are disease factories

Blinkz0rz
May 27, 2001

MY CONTEMPT FOR MY OWN EMPLOYEES IS ONLY MATCHED BY MY LOVE FOR TOM BRADY'S SWEATY MAGA BALLS
my wife found lice :negative:

jeebus bob
Nov 4, 2004

Festina lente

Blinkz0rz posted:

my wife found lice :negative:

Buzzcuts for everyone

The sooner you do it, the sooner it'll grow back

Blinkz0rz
May 27, 2001

MY CONTEMPT FOR MY OWN EMPLOYEES IS ONLY MATCHED BY MY LOVE FOR TOM BRADY'S SWEATY MAGA BALLS
my kiddo has at least 12 inches of hair at this point ain't no way they'll buzz

Elder Postsman
Aug 30, 2000

i used hot bot to search for "teens"

my kid wanted to make some flyers for a project she's doing with some friends so i set her loose on my old macbook pro with pixelmator pro and pages. told her to mess around with it and not be afraid of breaking anything and... she's just figuring it out. i'm so proud of her.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Elder Postsman posted:

my kid wanted to make some flyers for a project she's doing with some friends so i set her loose on my old macbook pro with pixelmator pro and pages. told her to mess around with it and not be afraid of breaking anything and... she's just figuring it out. i'm so proud of her.

this is a super-important sort of experience, IMO

my kids had very different amounts of “you can figure it out, give it a try” in their younger lives, and it really shows in how much they try to resolve their own stuff before trying to get an adult to help

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

jeebus bob posted:

Buzzcuts for everyone

The sooner you do it, the sooner it'll grow back

my wife knows someone whose mother did exactly this to her and her sisters

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

isn't it pretty much a myth that cutting the hair off helps at all? other than possibly making treating the scalp easier.

Arson Daily
Aug 11, 2003

Elder Postsman posted:

almost everything I've ever been interested in besides stuff for work has been a mess around and figure it out deal for me. I'm trying to get kiddo to try things the same way but she is much more into having someone teach her and help her before she'll even try it on her own. It's kinda frustrating for me but everyone learns in different ways and I'm trying really hard to be patient for stuff like that. Once she's got a little handle on something shes off to the races its just kind of a process to get her there.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

just spent 5 hours straight building a gigantic lego set with my 10YO, A+ would recommend. We’re at step ~200 of 350 lmao.

polyester concept
Mar 29, 2017

evil_bunnY posted:

just spent 5 hours straight building a gigantic lego set with my 10YO, A+ would recommend. We’re at step ~200 of 350 lmao.

my parents got mine the great pyramid lego set. its huge. we both expected it would be the full pyramid, but its just a half cross section. at the end of the manual it says to buy another identical set if you want the other half lol

im pretty sure it was a few hundred dollars

jeebus bob
Nov 4, 2004

Festina lente

Cybernetic Vermin posted:

isn't it pretty much a myth that cutting the hair off helps at all? other than possibly making treating the scalp easier.

It makes it easier to comb the hair after treatment but you still need to do the treatment

Also I'm not actually recommending that anyone buzzcut their family

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

Cybernetic Vermin posted:

No. They're basically unable to deal with not being in head hair, they need hair to cling on to, and the right kind of hair (apparently beards / pubes / etc won't work for them?) Shaving off all the head hair removes their living environment, along with anyplace they can lay eggs.

My kiddos got lice about a year ago. I brought them to a doctor and got a prescription for gently caress You Neurotoxin Shampoo for them to use to get rid of them. Their mother instead paid for a set of videos from some lady who runs a lice removal business, which basically advised that you put a bunch of mineral oil in the hair, lather it up, and let it stay for 15 minutes, to asphyxiate all the lice+eggs, along with loving with their ability to stay in the hair.

I had to eat a heaping plate of crow when the prescription shampoo basically did nothing, but the mineral oil + very careful combing to remove any remaining eggs worked immediately. I assumed it was more woo bullshit that she tends to get into, but it absolutely worked that time.

Mineral oil for lice, 100% recommend. You also get to keep your hair, although wiping all the mineral oil out is a bit of a pain.

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

our 3.75-year-old keeps having incidents at daycare because he decides that he doesn't have to listen to anything and wanders off to do whatever he wants to do, only to have a kicking meltdown when faced with the reality that he is 37 pounds and can indeed be stopped from doing whatever it is that he wants to do.

I really loving hope that this is a phase because we are at a loss on how to address this beyond emphasizing that this isn't ok and pointing out that not listening results in him not being to do anything fun.

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

it’s very much a phase :) we have that going with our middle child and it’s all part of them suddenly being a little more independent than they were

Elder Postsman
Aug 30, 2000

it's a phase for sure but it also comes back around 11

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

our 15mo is running a fever and is very boogery, which is exactly what we didn’t want right before Easter :(

poor thing

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

god dammit all day every day at nursery, absolutely fine. at home? piss everywhere

Branch Nvidian
Nov 29, 2012

Powerful Two-Hander posted:

god dammit all day every day at nursery, absolutely fine. at home? piss everywhere

same, except at all day every day at work

go play outside Skyler
Nov 7, 2005

Elder Postsman posted:

it's a phase for sure but it also comes back around 11

our 10-year old: "i want pancakes"

we're out of sugar, baking powder and yogurt. maybe you can go to the corner store and buy some? here's money.

comes back, bought the wrong kind of sugar, did not take the receipt (not the first time), bought himself a snickers.

"you should have taken the reciept so you could change the sugar. whatever, can you just go back and buy the proper kind? here's more money"

"i don't want to, why don't you go?"

every day poo poo like this. every day it's just "no" this and "no" that, blatant lies, for no goddamned reason. 10-11 years is hell.

still love the boy though

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

FAT32 SHAMER posted:

our 15mo is running a fever and is very boogery, which is exactly what we didn’t want right before Easter :(

poor thing

we've got a kid with a fever here too, he's been increasingly not feeling great since we picked him up from daycare. we're both extremely on edge because last time this happened we ended up in the ER because he had a febrile seizure.

jeebus bob
Nov 4, 2004

Festina lente

go play outside Skyler posted:

every day poo poo like this. every day it's just "no" this and "no" that, blatant lies, for no goddamned reason. 10-11 years is hell.

still love the boy though

That sounds rough, I hope it's just a phase.
What sort of consequences (which I explicitly insist when talking to my kids is different from "punishment") do you enact?

Elder Postsman
Aug 30, 2000

my kid took a babysitting class today. feels a little weird that she's old enough to be doing that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

maybe I'm an rear end in a top hat but I'd shift to not giving money for small errand runs and paying them back when they come home with the right items and receipt, just like most companies do expense reimbursement.