Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Surprise T Rex posted:

Niece likes Paw Patrol and her attempt to say Marshall sounds a lot like "arsehole".
paw patrol is copaganda.

HamAdams posted:

love it when i finally get the kids loaded into the car and put the car into gear and hear my 4 month old filling his diaper :suicide:
so glad we don't have a car lmao. we were in the US this summer and goddamn what a shithole. Told my spouse I won't be setting foot in flyover suburbia again, the inlaws can come see us in a national park or on the loving coast next time.

Shifty Pony posted:

the two most important features imo are being able to fold it up by simply picking it up with one hand, and it being as lightweight as possible.
larger wheels are nice if you want to tread dirt/snow, but that's about it. We got both a big stroller for walking/public transport and a very light one for when you have to carry it often (plane trips, etc).

zokie posted:

We got a little plastic cylinder from our healthcare provider for each of our kids that is sized to a toddlers tracea so you can test for too small stuff. I guess that in :911: you don’t get stuff like that for free but maybe you can source something similar to help you check toys and the like to eliminate risky stuff and be able to reduce your anxiety that way?
We did too, it was 100% useless.

evil_bunnY fucked around with this message at 14:14 on Aug 19, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MrQueasy
Nov 15, 2005

Probiot-ICK
my kid was one of the “chew on everything” kind and nothing terrible ever happened… kid is 10 now and still does it a bit… usually just shirt collars or legos… or his headset’s mic…

the worst we had was he got his mouth around the large end of a plastic Easter egg… thank god it wasn’t a lightbulb, but we removed it without incident.

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

RokosCockatrice posted:

I was thinking this was a good idea and then the other day when trying to set up life insurance the agent was like "hey yeah here's a great deal on life insurance, let me just get you and your wife's social and drivers license # and tell me are either of you being treated for depression" and lol oh yeah insurance companies will use anything to tune their actuarial tables against you

im very tempted to cancel my life insurance because it seems impossible to clear the hurdle of “yes everything was disclosed”, because they can go thru your medical history to deny your claim post mortimer but won’t do that to work out your premiums etc on the first place

devmd01
Mar 7, 2006

Elektronik
Supersonik
George beard and Harold Hutchins need to get the gently caress out of my house

cowboy beepboop
Feb 24, 2001

I am so tired. I am ready for my mid life crisis now I think.

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here

cowboy beepboop posted:

i might be kind of an outlier here since i've always had a lot of trouble sleeping, but my kids are 10 and 7 and i'm only just now getting my circadian rhythm back on track enough to have a couple good nights sleep per week.

Eeyo
Aug 29, 2004

cowboy beepboop posted:

nice, what kind of sports car you going to get?

and to be on topic: did you all do much babyproofing? i'm planning on putting some straps on furniture (bookcases and dressers) but idk what else i should be doing to prepare. i guess a newborn won't be getting into too much trouble but i figure once he's crawling around i'll want to have everything ready.

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

we did furniture straps on stuff they could pull on, socket covers so they don’t jam something in there, and when they were younger and wobbly we either out corner bumpers on coffee tables or just removed the coffee table entirely, and finally cabinet thingos on cabinets with cleaning supplies on them

I’m going to have to re-baby proof a whole lot soon :rip:

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

beyond furniture straps we practice just in time babyproofing.

if you look carefully in our house there's a high water mark of how high and far he can currently reach.

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

EVERY MORNING I WAKE UP AND OPEN PALM SLAM A WHITE WHALE INTO THE PEQUOD. IT'S HELL'S HEART AND RIGHT THEN AND THERE I STRIKE AT THEE ALONGSIDE WITH THE MAIN CHARACTER, ISHMAEL.

Shifty Pony posted:

beyond furniture straps we practice just in time babyproofing.

if you look carefully in our house there's a high water mark of how high and far he can currently reach.
who do you think you are, bill waterson

Corla Plankun
May 8, 2007

improve the lives of everyone

Eeyo posted:

nice, what kind of sports car you going to get?

and to be on topic: did you all do much babyproofing? i'm planning on putting some straps on furniture (bookcases and dressers) but idk what else i should be doing to prepare. i guess a newborn won't be getting into too much trouble but i figure once he's crawling around i'll want to have everything ready.

we covered the nursery floor in the puzzle-piece foam flooring stuff and padded all the edges and corners, but the rest of the house basically was never safe for a child and we just made sure the nursery was the only room they were ever left alone in

it worked pretty well for us and it was a lot easier than trying to childproof a whole dang house

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here
we just crate trained ours

cowboy beepboop
Feb 24, 2001

Eeyo posted:

strapped the heavy furniture and put some locks on cupboards in the kitchen (where the detergent etc lives) and removed any fragile things that were in reach as he started pulling himself up on stuff
oh and we did a baby gate for the kitchen but this upset him so much we just ended up leaving it open all the time

fisting by many
Dec 25, 2009

Corla Plankun posted:

we covered the nursery floor in the puzzle-piece foam flooring stuff and padded all the edges and corners, but the rest of the house basically was never safe for a child and we just made sure the nursery was the only room they were ever left alone in

it worked pretty well for us and it was a lot easier than trying to childproof a whole dang house

basically this

we put obstacles in front of some things we didn't want him climbing, 90% of the time this worked and the other 10% he'd start climbing the obstacles which was even more unsafe so we still couldn't keep our eyes off him

we tried a baby pen (200x260cm) when he first started crawling but he hated it almost right away, he just wanted to explore the whole apartment.

we put child straps on the cupboards and drawers but they don't close them perfectly tightly so he can still get his fingers jammed, if he doesn't just rip the drawer open anyway.

so in the end we just moved what we could out of the way and at least made his own room safe. that way we can relax in the living room and either watch him or let him play alone in his room.

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

Mods please change my name to "Tooter Skeleton" TIA.

by the time we got round to trying to baby proof stuff she was already old enough to render most of it redundant, thought we did get a big baby jail that she'll mostly happily stay in (and watch tv).

stair gate lasted about 2 weeks before i tripped over it and knocked it out of place, but she can slide down stairs now anyway so as long as we're supervising it seems ok?

cupboard locks are essential though.

prisoner of waffles
May 8, 2007

Ah! well a-day! what evil looks
Had I from old and young!
Instead of the cross, the fishmech
About my neck was hung.
we put up a bigger gate to keep kiddos out of our kitchen entirely, thus saving us from needing separate locks on our under-the-sink cabinets with cleaning supplies. It had three rigid segments with two joints and the central segment was a gate.

now that we’re in a new house, we could probably do with those kind of locks but… our youngest is almost a 4-year old and doesn’t just try to eat random things any more?

kitten emergency
Jan 13, 2008

get meow this wack-ass crystal prison
we use heavy duty rubber bands to act as cupboard locks. the main floor is open plan so there’s no real way to keep her out of the kitchen, so we have one drawer and one cupboard filled with stuff she can throw around and keep the others closed up with the rubber bands.

she just figured out how to walk with a walker, so that’s all she wants to do now. prolly gonna be walking unassisted soon, that’s gonna be fun.

Dukes Mayo Clinic
Aug 31, 2009
rubber bands for cabinets is a pro move. We’ve also accepted that most of our house is dangerous to babies and focused 95% of the proofing efforts in one room where tiny mayo clinic can more or less free-range. Outlet covers and pool-noodle bumpers on the pointy stuff, strategically placed furniture in front of stuff we don’t want him getting into.

All this and he spends most of his time trying to break down the baby gate.

Pythagoras a trois
Feb 19, 2004

I have a lot of points to make and I will make them later.
mobile kids are great. they're like little familiars that will sort of follow you around

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
just found out our 11yo never went to school today. went back home and let himself in and spent day there.

will have to work out how to deal with this, neither kid has done something like this before

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

promote him

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

classic case of pineapple derangement syndrome

echinopsis posted:

just found out our 11yo never went to school today. went back home and let himself in and spent day there.

will have to work out how to deal with this, neither kid has done something like this before

i did that when i was in 6th grade and i turned out fine

prisoner of waffles
May 8, 2007

Ah! well a-day! what evil looks
Had I from old and young!
Instead of the cross, the fishmech
About my neck was hung.

echinopsis posted:

y tho

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

might wanna ask him if anything is wrong at school that makes him not want to go, like other than "ugh i'd rather be napping"

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
haven’t gotten home yet to get to the bottom of it but his mother thinks it’s because he hadn’t done some homework thing

Lead out in cuffs
Sep 18, 2012

"That's right. We've evolved."

"I can see that. Cool mutations."

kitten emergency posted:

we have one drawer and one cupboard filled with stuff she can throw around and keep the others closed up

Yeah we do this too. It's absolutely a pro tip from as soon as they can crawl.

bobbilljim
May 29, 2013

this christmas feels like the very first christmas to me
:shittydog::shittydog::shittydog:

echinopsis posted:

haven’t gotten home yet to get to the bottom of it but his mother thinks it’s because he hadn’t done some homework thing

tell him about the great homework strategy i came up with in school which was to tell the teacher directly that i did not do it

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

echinopsis posted:

well duh it's homework. Can't do it at school now can he?

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
lol

turns out it was some project at school he was anxious about and I think his mother dealt with it poorly before school and he was upset and she expected him to bike to school when she went to work but he just didn’t

it’s not really ok tbh, but he was already pretty sheepish about it so I didn’t feel the need to make it worse really.

he’s not very resilient tho. smart, bright, very capable kid, that does not do well when even small things go wrong

bobbilljim
May 29, 2013

my kid is over 9kg (20 pounds) and almost 6 months old RIP my back

e whoops he is actually almost 5 months old

bobbilljim fucked around with this message at 23:22 on Aug 29, 2022

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
do pressups with child on shoulders and every day child gets heavier but you get stronger

bobbilljim
May 29, 2013

been mostly doing weighted couch getups and overhead press

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

bobbilljim posted:

my kid is over 9kg (20 pounds) and almost 6 months old RIP my back

lol try when they're nearly 13kg and walking and decide that they want you to carry them

like echi said, think of it as a workout

Eeyo
Aug 29, 2004

i was going to ask about that too. my wife is petite (she has a little cerebral palsy and she can walk and run fine but she avoids lifting heavy things) and is worried about baby carrying stamina once it comes. did you all have issues with that kind of stuff?

i'm pretty sure i'll be fine once i exercise my arms a bit, i'm just curious if anyone who is on the more petite side had issues with it.

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

the basic problem is that the child just. Gets. Heavier. But doesn't really give a poo poo themselves. So carrying them in one arm starts out fine, but now is not so great after the first 15 minutes but they're gonna get upset if you stop

on the plus side, it is in increments so you do just naturally get stronger!

definitely get a front carrier for your wife but idk what age they go up to....after that a back carrier can be good but haven't tried one of those.

I tried on the shoulders though and whoah was she not ready for that

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

depends a lot on the kid. My boy didnt like being carried much but my girl ALWAYS wanted to be carried.

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
i love giving my 11 yo shoulder rides and running around. yolo them dawgs

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

both of mine are still under 40lbs/18kg and the main thing I’ve learned is when holding them, support their weight with my forearm and don’t use my hand/wrist to stabilise but instead squeeze since otherwise my carpal tunnel fucks me up for a few days

basically just have them sit on your forearm and hang onto you or if they’re still floppy, use your forearm against their butt and squeeze against your chest/side

bobbilljim
May 29, 2013

def protect your back, once you injure yourself it's much worse. no way my wife can carry my 3 year old anymore as she has a disc injury. The bigger they are the more they hold on though so if you try to avoid wrenching motions and keep your back safe you should be ok. still a real test of the mind body and soul to carry 15 kgs of child and a bicycle half a block home while there's poop leaking onto your arm though

Powerful Two-Hander posted:

lol try when they're nearly 13kg and walking and decide that they want you to carry them

yeah lol :smith: at least they hang on though

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

back?? i, uh, I have been given very clear directives that it's the NECK