Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bobbilljim
May 29, 2013

this christmas feels like the very first christmas to me
:shittydog::shittydog::shittydog:
due to an interaction between my materials of my slippers and the potty we have i am constantly tripping over it in the night and usually flipping it over in the process. so my advice is put it out of the way and def clean it every time after use

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

Mods please change my name to "Tooter Skeleton" TIA.

we haven't really "tried" to start training yet but she shouts "wee wee! Potty!" And goes to get it but her timing isn't quite right so so far, there hasn't been any actual successful usage

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

FAT32 SHAMER posted:

today was one of the most challenging parenting days we’ve had, but they are finally both asleep

it’s 11p but they’re asleep. hopefully they’ll sleep in a little bit! otherwise we’re going to be in an overtired cycle for a while

good work mate

graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts
this drew some interest if you have kids around the age whod be interested in stuff like this

https://twitter.com/lenazun/status/1581354412311605248

cowboy beepboop
Feb 24, 2001

ooo nice ty, my son is almost the right age for that

go play outside Skyler
Nov 7, 2005

i love that youtube channel and the book looks real nice.

devmd01
Mar 7, 2006

Elektronik
Supersonik
wrestling three kids and an 80lb dog all simultaneously is hard work but I am here for it

go play outside Skyler
Nov 7, 2005

friendly advice to future parents in this thread:

make sure people who come to visit your newborn baby wash and disinfect their hands properly. our 14-day old got the RSV virus and is now in the hospital. apparently no risk to her life but this is still the most anxious i've ever been

i did not expect i would miss the crying and gooking after just one night without my little anne :smith:

Fart Sandwiches
Apr 4, 2006

i never asked for this

go play outside Skyler posted:

make sure people who come to visit your newborn baby wash and disinfect their hands properly. our 14-day old got the RSV virus and is now in the hospital. apparently no risk to her life but this is still the most anxious i've ever been

i did not expect i would miss the crying and gooking after just one night without my little anne :smith:

I was “lucky” in that my kid was born day 1 of the Covid lockdowns in 2020 so if anyone else as allowed to visit they wore masks and washed hands the second they walked in. some people we made bring a change of clothes too because no one knew poo poo about it. i feel your pain on the sick kiddo, too, it’s hard but you got it, yosparent

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

you're certainly not wrong to have people wash and all, but kids get sick. im not saying this to say "don't try to protect them". i don't mean that. i say it to say "don't beat yourself up when they do". keeping kids healthy is something where we do everything we can knowing full well it won't be and can never be enough.

good luck with the little one!

prisoner of waffles
May 8, 2007

Ah! well a-day! what evil looks
Had I from old and young!
Instead of the cross, the fishmech
About my neck was hung.

that's rough bud... being a brand new parent is entirely new kind of emotional vulnerability and knowing that kiddo is going to be okay, but still feeling super anxious about it is a normal reaction imo.

i'ma double down: dealing with this kind of feeling well

quote:

apparently no risk to her life but this is still the most anxious i've ever been

is very good practice for being a parent

lament.cfg
Dec 28, 2006

we have such posts
to show you

My wife and I were absolutely mortified about our son getting sick, especially COVID, but then we started daycare, and we're all always sick now, which is cool

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

classic case of pineapple derangement syndrome
my doctor told me that it was actually important for kids to be basically constantly sick with something when they're little because of some hosed up medical reason idk but yeah the whole family was sick off-and-on for like 3 years

prisoner of waffles
May 8, 2007

About my neck was hung.
I’ve got no training, data, or knowledge here but getting too few colds when a youngun seems like it would correlate with a weaker immune system and even developing autoimmune problems

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

my kids are starting to seemingly come down with something, which is incredibly bad timing since they’re flower girls in a wedding this weekend

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

somebody's gotta bring the plague to the wedding, this time it's your turn

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

our pediatrician said essentially that any kid is going to have an extended period of sickness whenever they first enter social settings. His opinion was that it was better for that to happen before "real" school started since missing daycare is not that huge of a deal but missing too much school could carry nasty consequences.

this was about two years ago and he did say that Covid restrictions were helping to reduce the intensity of that first spike in infections, I suppose that isn't the case anymore.

Eeyo
Aug 29, 2004

i’m going to be staying home with our son so i’ve got to take him to enough play dates so he can get a little sick, as a treat.

but either way he’ll probably get sick when he starts school. maybe preschool would be early enough he won’t be missing that much.

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

prisoner of waffles posted:

I’ve got no training, data, or knowledge here but getting too few colds when a youngun seems like it would correlate with a weaker immune system and even developing autoimmune problems

I don’t think this is true, as in saying that their future potential immunity to whatever is lessened by being less sick as a kid

You don’t learn to fight something until you come across it, so less sickness as a kid just means more as an adult but doesn’t mean you’re immune system is weaker, just less experienced

theres probably something to be said about the impact on young kids not being exposed to natural environments and ending up with more allergies etc, the lesson here is let your babies eat mud cakes

bobbilljim
May 29, 2013

this christmas feels like the very first christmas to me
:shittydog::shittydog::shittydog:
our dr also said that the baby will be having a cold on and off for some time. He's getting it a bit earlier though as the 3 yr old is in preschool collecting all the germs

OzyMandrill
Aug 12, 2013

Look upon my words
and despair

so how to remove an association with predictive text?
why?
well my son wanted to whatsapp his nan and used my phone, and despite me not ever using the phrase (or certainly not in last few years) the suggestions for completing the sentence 'thank...' is either 'you' or 'gently caress'

fisting by many
Dec 25, 2009

OzyMandrill posted:

so how to remove an association with predictive text?
why?
well my son wanted to whatsapp his nan and used my phone, and despite me not ever using the phrase (or certainly not in last few years) the suggestions for completing the sentence 'thank...' is either 'you' or 'gently caress'

you may be able to long-press the prediction to remove it

can't remember if that's ios or android

OzyMandrill
Aug 12, 2013

Look upon my words
and despair

fisting by many posted:

you may be able to long-press the prediction to remove it

can't remember if that's ios or android

that worked! thank gently caress for that!

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

prisoner of waffles posted:

I’ve got no training, data, or knowledge here
Wovon man nicht sprechen kann...

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

less than a week into potty training I can reliably get the kiddo to be positively excited to go use the potty.

unfortunately it is by loudly announcing that I need to use it at which point he channels the toddler "wait if you use the thing that means I can't be using it and despite me not caring about its existence 5 seconds ago it's my thing I want exclusive possession of the thing!" instinct and sprints into the bathroom.

less than ideal, but it still counts as a win.

prisoner of waffles
May 8, 2007

About my neck was hung.
well I was kind of winging it but not just fantasizing these things:

quote:

In 2003 Graham Rook proposed the "old friends hypothesis" which has been described as a more rational explanation for the link between microbial exposure and inflammatory disorders. The hypothesis states that the vital microbial exposures are not colds, influenza, measles and other common childhood infections which have evolved relatively recently over the last 10,000 years, but rather the microbes already present during mammalian and human evolution, that could persist in small hunter-gatherer groups as microbiota, tolerated latent infections, or carrier states. He proposed that coevolution with these species has resulted in their gaining a role in immune system development.

Strachan's original formulation of the hygiene hypothesis also centred around the idea that smaller families provided insufficient microbial exposure partly because of less person-to-person spread of infections, but also because of "improved household amenities and higher standards of personal cleanliness". It seems likely that this was the reason he named it the "hygiene hypothesis". Although the "hygiene revolution" of the nineteenth and twentieth centuries may have been a major factor, it now seems more likely that, although public health measures such as sanitation, potable water and garbage collection were instrumental in reducing our exposure to cholera, typhoid and so on, they also deprived people of their exposure to the "old friends" that occupy the same environmental habitats.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hygiene_hypothesis

go play outside Skyler
Nov 7, 2005

baby is now on oxygen since last night. her breathing keeps getting worse. now we are feeding her through a tube. the good side of this is that my SO could finally go home and sleep properly, since she can now just pull milk out and i can give it to her.

i am scared shitless to see my little baby girl with a breathing apparatus and am worried they need to transfer her to a beefier hospital to put on a beefier machine :smith:

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

Mods please change my name to "Tooter Skeleton" TIA.

that utterly sucks and I hope things improve (I'm sure they will)

I don't even know how I'd deal with that. wait yes I do, badly.

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here

baby is now on oxygen since last night. her breathing keeps getting worse. now we are feeding her through a tube. the good side of this is that my SO could finally go home and sleep properly, since she can now just pull milk out and i can give it to her.

i am scared shitless to see my little baby girl with a breathing apparatus and am worried they need to transfer her to a beefier hospital to put on a beefier machine :smith:

god help you and bless you, my prayers are with you, i'm getting on my knees now.

godspeed you, your wife and your child.

lament.cfg
Dec 28, 2006

we have such posts
to show you

I've been, albeit less intense, in the same position as you with a sick newborn. It's extremely loving rough, please be sure to take care of your mental wellbeing too.

She's in the right place getting the care she needs. RSV is tough but babies are resilient. Good vibes to you and her.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

loving hell I'm sorry

OzyMandrill
Aug 12, 2013

Look upon my words
and despair

*hug*
ive been there, at a week old my son had a fever, a week later he was in icu. we did bring him home eventually, 6 months later
look after yourself, there's a whole team looking after your child, and i know it's hard, but you need to keep each other going.
please pm if you want to vent at anything

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

sorry to hear it :[ thank goodness for modern medicine huh. take care

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

much love to you and yours skyler

prisoner of waffles
May 8, 2007

About my neck was hung.

are the doctors doing a good job of explaining the situation and helping y’all? they absolutely should be trying to because I think “absolutely stressed and scared” is a perfectly normal reaction for a new parent in this situation and they should be trying to help you deal

go play outside Skyler
Nov 7, 2005

thanks for all the support everyone

didn't want to jinx it but now i can say that she's getting much better since yesterday. they are slowly reducing her oxygen and letting her eat directly from the breasts again. if everything goes well tomorrow or monday we are out

of course the doctors have been reassuring the whole time and even if i know RSV has basically a mortality rate of 0 in developed countries, there's always that thought floating around...

i can't believe how much i miss having my infant daughter sleeping on my chest. man that's the best feeling ever

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here

didn't want to jinx it but now i can say that she's getting much better since yesterday. they are slowly reducing her oxygen and letting her eat directly from the breasts again. if everything goes well tomorrow or monday we are out

of course the doctors have been reassuring the whole time and even if i know RSV has basically a mortality rate of 0 in developed countries, there's always that thought floating around...

i can't believe how much i miss having my infant daughter sleeping on my chest. man that's the best feeling ever

:peanut:

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

heart status = warmed

glad it all turned out ok. every week we get emailed stats on covid and flu etc and amazing to me that RSV infections just continue to climb week after week :/

cowboy beepboop
Feb 24, 2001

great news

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

huzzah!!

yeah that owns