Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

AHH F/UGH
May 25, 2002

Buttchocks posted:

Just watched an episode with two astronauts who find tiny people and the twist is that they're really just far away.

That’s from the new one right

edit: you mean the little people? lol How could you not get it, he was also a little tiny person to someone else. God drat, goon.

AHH F/UGH fucked around with this message at 04:44 on Jan 18, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Hmmm

quote:

You walk into this room at your own risk, because it leads to the future, not a future that will be but one that might be. This is not a new world, it is simply an extension of what began in the old one. It has patterned itself after every dictator who has ever planted the ripping imprint of a boot on the pages of history since the beginning of time. It has refinements, technological advances, and a more sophisticated approach to the destruction of human freedom. But like every one of the super-states that preceded it, it has one iron rule: logic is an enemy and truth is a menace. This is Mr. Romney Wordsworth, in his last forty-eight hours on Earth. He's a citizen of the State but will soon have to be eliminated, because he's built out of flesh and because he has a mind. Mr. Romney Wordsworth, who will draw his last breaths in The Twilight Zone.

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

I'M A BIG DORK WHO POSTS TOO MUCH ABOUT CONVENTIONS LOOK AT THIS

TOVA TOVA TOVA
The overall very positive response to that scene in the YouTube comments pretty much says it all

(Honestly I was excited at first when I thought they had cleverly cut together actual Rod Serling voiceovers but then I realized it was someone else)

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan

you broke my grill posted:

It's good that you made this topic. Real good.

Now wish it away into the cornfield.

Grem
Mar 29, 2004

It's how her species communicates

It's funny that the criticism of the new TZ is that they're too on the nose. TZ is super on the nose like it might as well be a 5th grader digging for boogers. The new TZ tries to act too coy and clever about the reveals.

Old TZ: Yea man check out how hosed up you can get gambling

New TZ: Ohhhh might be a lesson to learn here... But is there? Maybe it's not what you think! Maybe it is! *annoying wink to the audience*

Give me straight forward story telling over that wishy washy bullshit any day.

Call Your Grandma
Jan 17, 2010

rod nerdling

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Grem posted:

New TZ: Ohhhh might be a lesson to learn here... But is there? Maybe it's not what you think! Maybe it is! *annoying wink to the audience*
While digging for that Blurryman synopsis I found another episode writeup that was basically: "Housekeeper asks Rich Chick if she can use her home mailing address so her kid can attend Good Charter School. Riche says yes and later Riche is jailed by LA MIGRA because she's an illegal alien from another world"

I'm here like... the gently caress point you trying to make?

Piggy Smalls
Jun 21, 2015

BOSS MAKES A DOLLAR,
YOU MAKE A DIME,
I'LL LICK HIS BOOT TILL THOSE MOTHERFUCKERS SHINE.

CBS app has the complete seasons. Not sure if you pay to see it. I am paying so don’t know.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie

Piggy Smalls posted:

CBS app has the complete seasons. Not sure if you pay to see it. I am paying so don’t know.

Last time I checked, Netflix has everything but season 4. Hulu and CBS have all the seasons.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
the cbs website has the first 10 episodes available for free

https://www.cbs.com/shows/the-twilight-zone-classic/

the rest require a sub

Ups_rail
Dec 8, 2006

by Fluffdaddy
Regarding night Gallery

I watched it along with many other older scifi series on the SCI FI channel

otherworld was a good one as well

check out the one with rock and roll

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbSbYito-7s&t=1014s its catchy because its bad

Scifi also aired monsters and tales from the darkside.

one good night gallery I remember was the other way out. Which felt like a TZ episode.

I am also gonna express a feeling I have about doctor who or I guess older sci fi in general.

When SFX cost money and you have to make do, you get alot of talking and gently caress the talking in older stuff by good actors and writters is just on another level. Unlike say streaming service shows where they are litterally just padding till the next action poo poo.

Mr. Lobe
Feb 23, 2007

... Dry bones...

this is how you do a modern twilight zone

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B5oGJTUpbpA

SilvergunSuperman
Aug 7, 2010

I always wanted to like tales from the darkside but most of them aren't great.

That intro genuinely terrified me as a kid though.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

SilvergunSuperman posted:

I always wanted to like tales from the darkside but most of them aren't great.

That intro genuinely terrified me as a kid though.

When I was in high school that was part of my Sunday night - it came on around midnight or so. Many weekends ended with me getting stoned and watching Tales from the Darkside. I can still recite the opening from memory. :allears:

Torquemada
Oct 21, 2010

Drei Gläser

Lil Swamp Booger Baby posted:

The only thing I know about the Peele revival is that it reveals how utterly clueless people managed to be about the very obvious commentary of the original Twilight Zone because you see people bitching about the remake on social media and it being "too political" compared to the original series which is lol because political and social commentary is the core of the original series.

The imdb review section of the ‘Blurryman’ episode (which is indeed trash almost beyond human comprehension) contains a few of these gems:

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy
I liked zone a lot in my youth, rewached it a few years back. I still like many episodes, but jeez did I ever get tired of what seemed like at least three eps a season about how BOY IT SUCKS LIVING IN THE CITY SURE DO MISS THE OL HOMETOWN. Like yeah ok I'm sure many people did feel that way but drat how many of these do we need?

As someone who has watched several anthology shows of varying quality, my favorite remains the New Outer Limits, that show is fun as gently caress.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Lmao this can gently caress right off.

It's exactly the same problem with a lot of modern Star Trek where they assume "recognizing thing" = venerated mythology and lore we care about. It's like Episode IX's pathetic, desperate attempt to give everyone in the audience a handjob. Seriously who the gently caress signs off on this poo poo?

Mr. Lobe
Feb 23, 2007

... Dry bones...

mind the walrus posted:

Lmao this can gently caress right off.

It's exactly the same problem with a lot of modern Star Trek where they assume "recognizing thing" = venerated mythology and lore we care about. It's like Episode IX's pathetic, desperate attempt to give everyone in the audience a handjob. Seriously who the gently caress signs off on this poo poo?

presumably producers who accurately assess that the hogs will eat up their slop

the goal is to make money, not art

SilvergunSuperman
Aug 7, 2010

Light Gun Man posted:

As someone who has watched several anthology shows of varying quality, my favorite remains the New Outer Limits, that show is fun as gently caress.

I agree, that show was so drat good. Not actually good probably, but as you say entertaining.

It was also cool seeing bit players get a chance to flex their acting chops

SilvergunSuperman
Aug 7, 2010

CaptainSarcastic posted:

When I was in high school that was part of my Sunday night - it came on around midnight or so. Many weekends ended with me getting stoned and watching Tales from the Darkside. I can still recite the opening from memory. :allears:

Haha that's great, there's something to be said for getting in a nice little groove like that.

Speaking of 80s anthology intros, I always thought HBO's The Hitchhiker rocked,

https://youtu.be/g-G5h9ZICU8

Punkinhead
Apr 2, 2015

Light Gun Man posted:

I liked zone a lot in my youth, rewached it a few years back. I still like many episodes, but jeez did I ever get tired of what seemed like at least three eps a season about how BOY IT SUCKS LIVING IN THE CITY SURE DO MISS THE OL HOMETOWN. Like yeah ok I'm sure many people did feel that way but drat how many of these do we need?

This is how I feel about all the episodes where 1-3 astronauts go into space and then land somewhere/when they didn't expect.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Mr. Lobe posted:

presumably producers who accurately assess that the hogs will eat up their slop

the goal is to make money, not art

But are the hogs eating it up? That's the real question.

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

Full Metal Jackass posted:

One of the best TV series ever made and you can see how many movies or episodes of other shows stole ideas from it.

Fun fact; the idea for the movie The Truman Show came from an episode of the 1985 version of the Twilight Zone.

Mr. Lobe
Feb 23, 2007

... Dry bones...

mind the walrus posted:

But are the hogs eating it up? That's the real question.

According to wikipedia, episode 9 was:

Budget $275 million
Box office $1.074 billion

and that's not including things like merchandizing, steaming, etc, so at least with that film, that looks like a pretty good ROI, unless there's hidden costs not accounted for in the budget or something. even then, plenty of palms get greased along the way

this kind of media succeeds from the inertia of their brands more than anything

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

Tbh on one level it's pretty funny just because all these major franchises are like exploding monetarily with great success and there are still weirdos out there screaming "GET WOKE GO BROKE" despite that being demonstrably untrue.

AFewBricksShy
Jun 19, 2003

of a full load.

I was listening to a podcast recently (The Dana Gould Podcast) that had Rod Serlings daughter on as a guest.

It was a good podcast where they discussed some of the differences between The Night Gallery and the Twilight Zone.

The one interesting point that I had never thought about that was brought up is that "A Christmas Carol" totally works as a Twilight Zone episode.

A Fancy Hat
Nov 18, 2016

Always remember that the former President was dumber than the dumbest person you've ever met by a wide margin

As a kid I loved the ones that leaned more towards horror (like The Masks or To Serve Man).

As an adult I love the one where Burgess Meredith gets super strength from aliens, wastes it, and then other aliens give him super mental powers. The aliens are so goofy looking and all the feats of strength are pretty hilarious.

Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

Just like Mama used to make it!
It was either in the 80s/90s reboot or maybe even outer limits but two episodes stand out.

- A couple is caught between minutes. There's all these workers that engineer reality, doing things like arranging furniture or adding dust to table tops and such.

- A woman can stop time and does so right as a nuclear missile is a foot from the ground. If she starts time again.....boom.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Bonzo posted:

It was either in the 80s/90s reboot or maybe even outer limits but two episodes stand out.

- A couple is caught between minutes. There's all these workers that engineer reality, doing things like arranging furniture or adding dust to table tops and such.
That was New Twilight Zone and I remember it being a much nicer version of The Langoliers. Iirc, there was a crew setting up the next second and a crew tearing down the past second. All in colored overalls and stuff. Very fun.

I'm partial to Shelter Skelter as I remember the man's panicked mania, the red glow of emergency lights, the friend pleading to be let in, and the weird dome at the end.

Buttchocks
Oct 21, 2020

No, I like my hat, thanks.
I also like the other William Shatner episode, where a small town has satanic napkin holders for some reason.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Buttchocks posted:

I also like the other William Shatner episode, where a small town has satanic napkin holders for some reason.
It's just the one.

But the fact it gives out the most generic messages ("It is possible..." ) is the cherry on top.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

I was always more of an Outer Limits man myself

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

SilvergunSuperman posted:

Haha that's great, there's something to be said for getting in a nice little groove like that.

Speaking of 80s anthology intros, I always thought HBO's The Hitchhiker rocked,

https://youtu.be/g-G5h9ZICU8

I definitely remember watching that but can't recall much in the way of specifics.

AHH F/UGH
May 25, 2002

This thread got me watching the super short 5-6 abridged versions of TTZ episodes on YouTube and it's perfect

sithael
Nov 11, 2004
I'm a Sad Panda too!
I like "Once Upon A Time" with elderly Buster Keaton as a time traveler

also "What You Need" with a magic merchant who gives people what they need.

dee eight
Dec 18, 2002

The Spirit
of Maynard

:catdrugs:

sithael posted:

also "What You Need" with a magic merchant who gives people what they need.

What You Need was adapted from a short story and I read the story before I saw the TZ episode. To be fair, it's always tough to translate print to screen and remain faithful to the original story, but yeah I was disappointed by the TZ in comparison. :shrug:

e: in print, the merchant was inside of a shop and the "We Have What You Need" was on the shop window backwards (from the outside view) and that was relevant to the moral of the story.

dee eight fucked around with this message at 04:26 on Jan 19, 2021

A Strange Aeon
Mar 26, 2010

You are now a slimy little toad
The Great Twist
Has anyone mentioned the one with the genie where the guy wishes in the end to become a genie himself? If I remember correctly, his little dog accompanies him as a kind of genie dog too.

TIP
Mar 21, 2006

Your move, creep.

A Strange Aeon posted:

Has anyone mentioned the one with the genie where the guy wishes in the end to become a genie himself? If I remember correctly, his little dog accompanies him as a kind of genie dog too.

That was actually Wonder Woman 84.

Count Uvula
Dec 20, 2011

---

Mr. Lobe posted:

According to wikipedia, episode 9 was:

Budget $275 million
Box office $1.074 billion

and that's not including things like merchandizing, steaming, etc, so at least with that film, that looks like a pretty good ROI, unless there's hidden costs not accounted for in the budget or something. even then, plenty of palms get greased along the way

That's just the production budget so the actual money spent by Disney was probably like 300 million higher. I would think for franchises of this size the main risk isn't losing money if the movie isn't bad so much as it is making it possible for the franchise to lose money on its next installment if it's bad. Like episode 8 had really mixed reactions, and then episode 9 was their capstone film for the trilogy and made significantly less money. How hosed will the next movie's opening weekend be when people seem to have almost universally disliked episode 9?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

I'M A BIG DORK WHO POSTS TOO MUCH ABOUT CONVENTIONS LOOK AT THIS

TOVA TOVA TOVA

Count Uvula posted:

That's just the production budget so the actual money spent by Disney was probably like 300 million higher. I would think for franchises of this size the main risk isn't losing money if the movie isn't bad so much as it is making it possible for the franchise to lose money on its next installment if it's bad. Like episode 8 had really mixed reactions, and then episode 9 was their capstone film for the trilogy and made significantly less money. How hosed will the next movie's opening weekend be when people seem to have almost universally disliked episode 9?
Counterpoint, people still watched the fifth and sixth Star Wars movies