Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What do you think about the situation?
The Dems lied
People weren't paying attention
2k is bullshit unless its reoccuring
I am a monster who believes in total austerity and oppose the survival checks
View Results

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
I know this isn't 100% on topic but somehow the 'campaign promises' thread got locked and it's all Covid relief bill related.

the 15 dollar minimum wage Biden promised just got voted down hard, including by Sinema who felt so safe doing it she did a little thumbs down curtsy move for the cameras so clearly the white house abandoned it.

Also UI benefits are about to come dangerously close to being shredded, maybe will be when all the debate is done.

So what the gently caress are we actually getting besides a kick in the rear end and 'hey come on, the other guy wanted to kick you in the dick...not hearing a 'thank you'...'?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

papa horny michael
Aug 18, 2009

by Pragmatica
The schools are reopening. From what I remember of the campaign season, only Biden was unequivocally running on this.

Mellow Seas
Oct 9, 2012
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Euphoriaphone posted:

Matt Breunig made this point on Chapo a few weeks ago with a great example: If you're arguing 600 + 1,400 = 2,000, but not everyone who got the 600 will get the 1,400 due to new thresholds, what's the limit where you can still say the $2k promise was kept? If you gave $1,400 to exactly one person who got the $600, would they $2k promise still be met in your mind?

My understanding is that everyone who got a full-sized check in the previous two rounds of stimulus will get a full-sized check from this one as well. People whose checks have been reduced/eliminated by the new means testing were never getting $2000(/$1400+$600) anyway.

Nucleic Acids
Apr 10, 2007

Mellow Seas posted:

My understanding is that everyone who got a full-sized check in the previous two rounds of stimulus will get a full-sized check from this one as well. People whose checks have been reduced/eliminated by the new means testing were never getting $2000(/$1400+$600) anyway.

If that’s the case then the Democrats were still lying when they said they’re finishing the job of getting us $2,000 checks. You can’t claim it’s part of the same check if there’s more restrictions on who can get it this time around.

Crazy Joe Wilson
Jul 4, 2007

Justifiably Mad!
Saw one estimate that said nearly 12 million people who got the 600 may not qualify for the 1400 (or at least the full amount), which is... a lot of people who are going to be angry they got lied to.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

generic one
Oct 2, 2004

I wish I was a little bit taller
I wish I was a baller
I wish I had a wookie in a hat with a bat
And a six four Impala

Nap Ghost

Crazy Joe Wilson posted:

Saw one estimate that said nearly 12 million people who got the 600 may not qualify for the 1400 (or at least the full amount), which is... a lot of people who are going to be angry they got lied to.

I think that estimate may have been based on the assumption the second round of payments had caps of 100K for single filers and 200K for joint, but the actual caps were 87K and 174K, respectively. I can’t seem to find anything with exact figures of the number of people eligible for the $600 round, otherwise it’s be pretty easy to do the math on this one, since I can find several sources that cite 280 million (adults and children) for the $1400 round.

I do wonder if it’ll end up being a wash from a pure tally of eligible people, since it looks like 13.5 million dependents will be covered in the third stimulus package that weren’t in the previous two rounds.

Edit: Obviously there will still be a lot of folks who fall into the 80-87K (single) and 160-174K (joint) ranges that won’t get a check this time and did the last time, and that’s pretty lame.

generic one fucked around with this message at 20:29 on Mar 7, 2021