Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What do you think about the situation?
The Dems lied
People weren't paying attention
2k is bullshit unless its reoccuring
I am a monster who believes in total austerity and oppose the survival checks
View Results

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

Covok posted:

After Trump demanded 2k stimulus checks in an odd effort to sabotage his own party, the democrats ran on that as a key platform in Georgia.

There original pledge was an amendment to the $600 to be 2k, thus an additional 1.4k. They kept this pledge even though it has been a month since the original $600 went out.

Numerous voters feel mislead. They were promised 2k checks in numerous advertisements, not an extra 1.4k. Many feel this was false advertising and feel betrayed.

Either way, a single 2k check is not enough to fix things.

A lot of people want to argue about so here you go! Try not to be a jackass about it.

Yeah they lied. The legislation never said they'd do this but their ads sure as gently caress did.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

sexpig by night posted:

remember when Biden said '$2,000 checks will go out the door' as soon as the new GA senators won and were sworn in?

It's such insane gaslighting bullshit from the exact people who claim any attempt to correct them is the REAL 'gaslighting', it's infuriating.

Don't plaster a picture of a check made out for $2000 all over TV and the internet and then tell me I'm a dum dum because I just didn't understand that the number "$2000" is really the sum of a payment for $600 that went you before you bought the ads and then a new payment for $1400. That's what's known in the industry as "bullshit."

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

Fritz the Horse posted:

So I'd vote for about two and a half of the options in your poll. People weren't paying much attention if they missed the 600+1400 debate in December, Dem messaging was ambiguous into the GA runoffs, and we need more stimulus which is coming in some form from the Biden administration.
Messaging blunder.

There's nothing ambiguous about a huge loving picture of a check made out for $2000 and the slogan "want a $2000 check? vote for me."

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

There's also that whole issue of the millions of people who operate in the grey market economy and never qualified for UI in the first place. Coincidentally, many of these same people have been forced to the margins of the housing market in informal arrangements like renting a room under the table or couch surfing and are being thrown in the street because they never benefitted from the protections of the patchwork of eviction moratoriums (to the extent those even existed in practice) and/or are being forced out of their homes through threats or actual violence from their landlords who know that the cops won't lift a loving finger to protect people like sex workers and who are so dangerous to them that they'd never dare call them in the first place.

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

Sanguinia posted:

Flash as many campaign ads or quotations as you want, you KNOW what it was supposed to be and acting like you didn't and you've been tricked by the big bad LIBERALS makes you look like a jerk.

No you're the jerk

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

Shere posted:

I got my $600 check before the Georgia runoff and I know I wasn't alone. I received my $600 check before I even saw a single "You want a $2000 check?" ad. There was no asterisk, no fine print, no "increase to $2000" - nothing. Plain text, plain speech, you vote these two in and we'll get you a $2000 check. This was over 10 days after that month-long disappointment of a bill got finalized. I was under the mistaken assumption that the "big bad Liberals" wanted to make the situation right and actually disperse another full payment because I'm not a fool and I know by the time they take office and get a bill together and vote it's going to be another set of weeks or months of pandemic living where my wife is barely employed and I'm bleeding through my savings. The $600 came and went the same day it hit my bank account, the money isn't just sitting there waiting to be made whole someday - it's gone. I'm not counting it anymore so I'm extremely confused why everyone else is.

So yeah, call me an rear end in a top hat of the highest order, I'm right here.

Jerk detected

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

What was 600 dollars going to do for grey market homeless sex workers?

Ask one. That's a night in a hotel if you get sick, a mechanic to fix the car you sleep in so it doesn't get towed and you can stay out of a shelter with your partner and your dog (who can't go in with you), the ability to pay off a couple parking tickets and your car tabs renewed and don't get pulled over by a cop for driving on expired tags and risk being beat up or raped in the process, paying back your friend for flopping in their place and eating their food, or pay for an STD test that you otherwise can't afford.

quote:

Don't you think the $25 billion in rental assistance or the food stamp increase or the child care funding or literally anything else in the 100 day economic plan would have more impact on them than a one time check? Would a homeless sex worker even necessarily be in the system to even get a check? It feels like the smallest and least important part of all of the things being proposed.

Rental assistance, food stamps, child care and so on are all heavily means tested and that's intentionally a way to disenfranchise and withhold benefits. In my state, the rental assistance funding feeds into a lottery program that is a) paid directly to landlords, not to tenants, and b) the landlord can refuse the payments if they'd rather have an excuse to get rid of the tenant at the earliest opportunity.

Devaluing un-tested cash assistance is literally devaluing the most marginalized people in our society.

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

Crazy Joe Wilson posted:

I feel like if people get $1400 checks they'll still be pretty happy. There will probably be some who do say "Hey what the f*ck you said 2K" but I'm sure others will be mollified by the excuse/explanation that "it was always 1400 on top of the 600 in Congress".

Georgia might be different since the 2k was such a heavy campaign topic, but I don't think it will enrage as many people as it might seem. I know I won't raise a fuss if I get $4200 in the bankaccount (Family of 3), even if it could've been $6k.

That difference is a month's rent for a national-median 2 bedroom apartment.

Fifteen million people or so are multiple months behind on rent with no hope of ever catching up on their own, the rental assistance subsidies are joke level compared to the scale of the need, and (holding aside the fact that a hell of a lot of people are already getting evicted, moratorium or no) you can't kick that can forever. Obviously the Republican answer is to dump them all into the incinerator, but I'm curious what the dems' end game is here.

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

Enigma89 posted:

I am extremely conservative when it comes to economic terms so with that said I cannot believe how little support has been given so far with the pandemic. People went from having stable work to being absolutely crushed. I am surprised there hasn't been more civil strife about this because the numbers on paper are shocking.

Why do you think the frequency of protests and riots about blm, cop violence in general, and evictions has increased from "occasionally as a treat" to "literally every day" since March and has not stopped to this day?

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

We should stop fighting about $2000 vs $1400 when there's more than enough time for Biden to compromise and support this new proposal for an even more heavily means-tested $1000 made by some very fine colleagues from across the aisle

quote:

President Joe Biden on Monday plans to meet with a group of Republican senators in a bid to secure bipartisan backing for his COVID-19 relief bill.

The meeting was announced on Biden's daily schedule after the group of 10 Republicans, led by Sen. Susan Collins of Maine, said they supported a new relief package but wanted to spend far less than Biden's plan seeks.

Their package is said to be worth $600 billion, about a third of the sum Biden wants to inject into the US economy.

It takes a different approach to direct payments for Americans, seeking a new round of $1,000 payments, less than the $1,400 Biden wants. The senators also want those checks to be more targeted based on income.

In a statement Sunday, the White House press secretary, Jen Psaki, announced the meeting and said it was imperative that a comprehensive deal be passed quickly.

"As leading economists have said, the danger now is not in doing too much: It is in doing too little," she said. "Americans of both parties are looking to their leaders to meet the moment."

—This Week (@ThisWeekABC) January 31, 2021

As part of Biden's pledge to rebuild unity and bipartisan consensus in Washington DC, the White House reached out to moderate Republicans to secure bipartisan backing for a relief bill.

https://news.yahoo.com/biden-meeting-gop-senators-want-114247360.html

Or is that $400?

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

I just want everyone to pause for a moment and consider if Schumer or Pelosi or Biden had reacted to this (and don't say "only the terminally online care about this" because the messaging pivot has been pushed hard by official democratic social media and talking heads) by going on TV and saying,

"You know what, the legislation did say it was going to be a $1400 check but we realize we said $2000 about a million times in ads and on TV, and you turned out for us, and the times are hard and an extra $600 for people will do more good than ill and besides which in our first week in power perhaps we should respect the people who just put us into office, keep the faith with them, and not smugly assert that they should have read the fine print or that they're lucky the other guy didn't win, so we're putting a new $2000 payment into the bill. "

I can't really see it happening it either but I think it's a helpful visualization exercise to imagine what a political party that doesn't treat its voters with utter loving contempt at every opportunity might be like.

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

Mellow Seas posted:

Somebody said, pages back, I'm not going to bother going back and getting the quote, something like "It seems like you care more about the party than about $600". Well, I do. I care about the Democrats because they are the avenue via which we defeat Republicans, who want us to have nothing. If some big "Democrats are liars" narrative arises out of the left and has an influence on swing voters or tentative voters, and results in them losing big in 2022 or 2024, that is, to me, much, much, much worse than not getting $600 that I was arguably promised.

We should organize rallies to thank the Democrats for raising the chocolate ration to twenty grams a week lest the perfidious Republicans try take advantage of the situation.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

sexpig by night posted:

at a certain point even lib media has to at least acknowledge what a tactics failure this all is, right? Like, Maddow or whoever the big name in that world is now eventually has to say 'well yea it's p. bad to not only do the whole 'actually $1400 is $2000' game but then also ensure millions who got the Donald Dollars won't get Biden Bux' right? They can't just keep gaslighting us can they?

I think the new line is "ok they lied but the only people materially affected by the lie don't matter/won't really be affected/it's a small lie so the lie doesn't matter."