Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

hyphz
Aug 5, 2003

Number 1 Nerd Tear Farmer 2022.

Keep it up, champ.

Also you're a skeleton warrior now. Kree.
Unlockable Ben

Megazver posted:

It's not a 'terrible' idea, but I am on a few Discords that have channels for players to post their LFG and there's basically no point. The ratio of people who want to play to GMs is like 50 to 1, at the least, and no one cares about the players' channel. It's entirely a GMs market.

For the "indie-er" games, though, there is a threshold of "there's no point soliciting that game because no-one will want to play" vs "there's no point asking after that game because nobody will be running it" which can be reduced a bit by match-making on both sides.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Yeah, I saw this as potentially being a better approach than the typical "interest check" thing GMs do; if we knew that there were already 10 people who want to play, I dunno, Paranoia, or Star Trek Adventures, maybe that'd clue in our potential GMs that there's an interest. Or a GM could skim the list of players and what they want to play and be inspired to meet some of that demand.

If it just wound up being 100 players begging for games and none of them get those games, though, I agree there's not much value in that.

Papa Was A Video Toaster
Jan 9, 2011

Would a tarot thread be a good fit for TG? I'm just tipping my toe into it with the blockbuster Kickstarter the Alleyman's Tarot finally shipping. I'm more focused on the cards and decks as collectibles/art objects than on the reading.

Twobirds
Oct 17, 2000

The only talking mouse in all of Britannia.
That's a really cool deck.

I feel like most folks here would want to talk about the mechanics of a reading or different meanings. There's a thread in the Hobby forum for collecting that might get more traction.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

I suppose Tarot-as-game-pieces is legit, and could fit into one of the card threads or in the general chat thread, but you can totally try out a standalone thread and see if there's any interest. You never know!

I would say though that you should expect to catch a certain amount of flak if you try to like, insist that tarot readings actually work and can tell the future or something, lol.

Mendrian
Jan 6, 2013

Has anyone started a thread specifically around online play and the various pitfalls/solutions to pitfalls that has created?

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Not that I know of. I recall a discussion of maybe making a VTT thread, but maybe an online play thread could incorporate that and also add in stuff like how to play on discord, PbP, game mechanics that favor online play, etc.? Do go ahead and make such a thread, if you like!

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Is there a fate thread?

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

sebmojo posted:

Is there a fate thread?

I browsed like 6 pages back and I didn't see any.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

It's had no traffic for a while but it does exist!
https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3569741

Black August
Sep 28, 2003

Hey. I think I advertised this here a while ago, but I can’t remember where. I’m running a pseudogame using a hack of GURPS, with reader-sourced RNG decisions.

ZEN [Hell End]

It was in Paranormal, and now Let’s Play, but it’s a P&P game at heart.

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

I'M A BIG DORK WHO POSTS TOO MUCH ABOUT CONVENTIONS LOOK AT THIS

TOVA TOVA TOVA
I love and cherish my precious Gen-Con threads every year, but do people here go to any other conventions? It certainly does not seem like there is really anyone who attends Gary Con or Origins or GameHoleCon in the Gen-Con thread (besides me and occasionally Nesbit37), and Dragon Con is its own thing I know to leave alone. I probably should be reading the general chat threads to find things like this out, but I am exceptionally bad at keeping up with threads that get lots of posts.

I feel like there may have even been a "Regional Gaming Conventions" thread a decade ago, but if there was it probably got no posts and my vague memories of it are all that remain

But I am glad this thread exists so I can bring it up again!

aldantefax
Oct 10, 2007

ALWAYS BE MECHFISHIN'
So, I’m thinking about making a thread. Most of my threads in recent years have mostly just been blog posts and this one probably would end up being the same, but I’ll go post it later anyway. Probably.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

aldantefax posted:

So, I’m thinking about making a thread. Most of my threads in recent years have mostly just been blog posts and this one probably would end up being the same, but I’ll go post it later anyway. Probably.

New aldantefax thread hype! :woop:

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Dr. Quarex posted:

I love and cherish my precious Gen-Con threads every year, but do people here go to any other conventions? It certainly does not seem like there is really anyone who attends Gary Con or Origins or GameHoleCon in the Gen-Con thread (besides me and occasionally Nesbit37), and Dragon Con is its own thing I know to leave alone. I probably should be reading the general chat threads to find things like this out, but I am exceptionally bad at keeping up with threads that get lots of posts.

I feel like there may have even been a "Regional Gaming Conventions" thread a decade ago, but if there was it probably got no posts and my vague memories of it are all that remain

But I am glad this thread exists so I can bring it up again!

Dang, sorry I missed this post earlier. I think a general TG Cons thread could work?

aldantefax posted:

I can't wait!

aldantefax
Oct 10, 2007

ALWAYS BE MECHFISHIN'
I have created a new thread:

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=4000539&perpage=40&noseen=1

[Discussion] “Starting a Gaming Club”

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

TOVA TOVA TOVA

Leperflesh posted:

Dang, sorry I missed this post earlier. I think a general TG Cons thread could work?
I used all the power in my brain to try to figure out which year this thread was last attempted, and did successfully find it, thread appropriately killed by me bumping it four months after its last post:

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3531154

It did not make it a page, but that was also 2013 and while there were plenty of conventions then, too, I think they have proliferated significantly since then, so yeah, it might be worth revisiting. Does someone reading this somehow want to be in charge of that thread? I certainly have nothing against making it but Gen-Con is certainly my wheelhouse

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Yeah I don't really go to cons so I don't wanna do that myself but also "being OP" should not feel like a big burden, you can put as much or as little effort into it as you feel like. It can even be posted more like an "ask" than a "tell", e.g. "tell me about cons, your con experiences, upcoming cons, etc." is a fine and good way to start a con thread in trad games too.

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

TOVA TOVA TOVA

Leperflesh posted:

Yeah I don't really go to cons so I don't wanna do that myself but also "being OP" should not feel like a big burden, you can put as much or as little effort into it as you feel like. It can even be posted more like an "ask" than a "tell", e.g. "tell me about cons, your con experiences, upcoming cons, etc." is a fine and good way to start a con thread in trad games too.
Word, that makes a lot of sense and would hopefully cause more posting too. If you say "who is going to Origins?" you will get one pity reply, but in my experience if you ask someone to talk about their weirdo local conventions they might never stop

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Dr. Quarex posted:

Word, that makes a lot of sense and would hopefully cause more posting too. If you say "who is going to Origins?" you will get one pity reply, but in my experience if you ask someone to talk about their weirdo local conventions they might never stop

Hey now. Origins *is* a weird local convention

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

TOVA TOVA TOVA

Len posted:

Hey now. Origins *is* a weird local convention
You are really not kidding. Even since I posted that I have loved the "why are there 1/5 as many events as last year?" drama going down. There Is Always Something Wrong With Origins(tm)! I am actually going to call Origins a liminal national/regional/local convention in the first post I am writing

Edit: I finally did make the post, might as well put it here https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=4002697

Dr. Quarex fucked around with this message at 17:38 on May 31, 2022

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006
Is there a thread which discusses how to design and run CYOA threads/quests? What mechanics to choose, pitfalls to avoid, advice from people who've done it?

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Megazver posted:

Is there a thread which discusses how to design and run CYOA threads/quests? What mechanics to choose, pitfalls to avoid, advice from people who've done it?

i love sniperwearsconverse ones, fwiw - they're extremely rich in detail and flavour and i love the way he brings in player stats and skills.

Cloud Potato
Jan 9, 2011

"I'm... happy!"

Megazver posted:

DogKisser did a thread along those lines back in early 2019.

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006

That's close enough to what I had in mind.

I'll try to necro it for a bit, maybe.

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

Hi thread, I have an interest check for you:

At a few points in my life I spent a very long time looking for mapping software I liked for things like D&D or whatever. The main problem I always ran into is that none of them came with pre-made assets that I liked, and buying any asset packs or whatever was prohibitively expensive for just dipping my toes in the water.

Fast forward to today, I don't really play any tradgames anymore, but now I'm an artist and I'm interested in the idea of creating a large 32x32 pixel art top-down tileset that I can sell as a pre-made asset through the unity asset store or itch.io or whatever. Today it's something I actually started doing (learning how to use tilemap mode in aseprite, setting up brushes for pixel art on procreate, etc) and it's pretty fun so I want to stick with it, but the hardest part for me is going to be coming up with a large list of general-purpose tiles to create. And kind of my whole point in doing this is that I want to be able to offer an exhaustively large tileset that has just about anything someone could need while remaining relatively minimalist in detail - because whenever I've gone shopping for asset packs it's just a bunch of tiny little one-offs and it's hard to style match them with others and they're always missing things I'd want out of them.

So anyway I thought that it might be a good opportunity to combine this idea with my chagrin at never finding a good tabletop mapping software back in the day, and to see if maybe Goons in Tradgames would (A) have interest in mapping assets in 32x32 pixel art format for playing tradgames/CYOAs online (which would be offered for free in this forum and only monetized to the public) and (B) would be able to give me some requests of terrain or objects they'd like to see/that they'd need for the games they play. I'm not really sure how much they'd get used for e.g. Game Room threads or CYOAs so I'm mostly wondering if it's something this forum would be into. But if it seems like appropriate material for the forum I'll make a thread for it :kiddo:

For demonstration's sake, you would just be able to load anything I create into TileD which is free and then it's incredibly easy to load in tilesets and start mapping like it's just Photoshop or something:

e: For clarification, this is something I'm working on anyway - I'm just wondering if this forum would find use in it and would like contribute to requesting things to be added.

deep dish peat moss fucked around with this message at 01:44 on Jun 6, 2022

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

Can we do a bracket to figure out who the biggest rear end in a top hat in the year 40,000 is?

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

moths posted:

Can we do a bracket to figure out who the biggest rear end in a top hat in the year 40,000 is?

Absolutely, yes. But it's obviously the Emperor.

Pershing
Feb 21, 2010

John "Black Jack" Pershing
Hard Fucking Core

Hey, do we have a Vampire the Masquerade thread? Especially interested in the newer LARP version (Mind's Eye Theater)

Freakie
Oct 30, 2013

Pershing posted:

Hey, do we have a Vampire the Masquerade thread? Especially interested in the newer LARP version (Mind's Eye Theater)

There's a general World of Darkness thread which I'm sure is 90% Vampire anyway.

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3899775

trapstar
Jun 30, 2012

Yo tengo un par de ideas.
What do you guys think of starting thread where people can post art of their characters or of character art they like and then we stat them based on the pic by Race (Should be obvious in most cases), Level, Strength, Dexterity, Constitution, Intelligence, Wisdom, Charisma, Class and Alignment? Maybe even guess the age of the character (Adjusting for the different races)

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

I know we use stats in games and so it's not a totally wild idea but something about looking at a pic of an elf and trying to guess her INT score seems off to me. This also seems very D&D-specific.

trapstar
Jun 30, 2012

Leperflesh posted:

I know we use stats in games and so it's not a totally wild idea but something about looking at a pic of an elf and trying to guess her INT score seems off to me. This also seems very D&D-specific.

I guess the poster could choose what system they’d want to stat the character in. For example GURPS etc. Honestly it’s more of just a forum game that I’ve seen people play. I wasn’t sure if it would be appropriate for here though.

aldantefax
Oct 10, 2007

ALWAYS BE MECHFISHIN'
So, I have feelings on this. Making value judgements based on a picture of a person is all fun and games until someone starts implying or explicitly saying things like "that person has <trait x y z> which means they have a high/low <fill in physical or mental stat here>".

Also, disclaimer: not a mod, but "statting by Race" itself is almost assuredly a huge yikes. A gentle reminder that having physical and mental attributes associated to race is a very highly sensitive topic in the real world.

We used to have a "post cool/funny/bad RPG art in this thread" thread, so starting a new iteration of that might be more what you're looking for. Perhaps if someone draws creative inspiration from said art, they can also contribute a piece of writing - a clever description, poetry, a story they see from a given picture or series of pictures. "Caption this picture" is a solid forum game.

trapstar
Jun 30, 2012

aldantefax posted:

So, I have feelings on this. Making value judgements based on a picture of a person is all fun and games until someone starts implying or explicitly saying things like "that person has <trait x y z> which means they have a high/low <fill in physical or mental stat here>".

Also, disclaimer: not a mod, but "statting by Race" itself is almost assuredly a huge yikes. A gentle reminder that having physical and mental attributes associated to race is a very highly sensitive topic in the real world.

We used to have a "post cool/funny/bad RPG art in this thread" thread, so starting a new iteration of that might be more what you're looking for. Perhaps if someone draws creative inspiration from said art, they can also contribute a piece of writing - a clever description, poetry, a story they see from a given picture or series of pictures. "Caption this picture" is a solid forum game.

Yeah a traditional games art themed “caption this picture” could be lots of fun!

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

I wanna sing one for the cars
That are right now headed silent down the highway
And it's dark and there is nobody driving And something has got to give

I think a "stat this art" thread would probably be a non-starter, but "pitch a character you'd make based on this art" could be fun? Just writing up a little description of a character you'd play who'd fit that illustration.

trapstar
Jun 30, 2012

Antivehicular posted:

I think a "stat this art" thread would probably be a non-starter, but "pitch a character you'd make based on this art" could be fun? Just writing up a little description of a character you'd play who'd fit that illustration.

Yeah, that’s a great idea!!

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

Antivehicular posted:

That's a much better idea.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Yess. Go for it, I like that.

Also I think the art thread yet lives, but I think trapstar already posts over there so I'm just saying so for others who might not know. Maybe the Hot Modrons title isn't super informative! But it also says [TG Art Thread] so hopefully that helps.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bewilderment
Nov 22, 2007
man what

Thoughts on a combined thread for 'tactical combat RPGs'?
Right now the Lancer thread has occasional spurts of activity. The kind of crowd interested in that might also be interested in other games inspired by DnD4e or that otherwise heavily feature tactical combat that don't yet have as big a playerbase or are still in playtesting.

Could include:
- The 'Fragged' games like Fragged Aeternum
- ICON, the upcoming fantasy game by the Lancer makers
- Beacon, which appears to be another fantasy game of similar aesthetic to Icon
- Wyrdwood Wand, which is about college wizards
- Gubat Banwa, a fantasy Phillipines and other islands
- goon project Let Thrones Beware? is that still going somewhere?