Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Inverted Icon
Apr 8, 2020

by Athanatos
Truman Burbank ruined the best television show of all time

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.
Thomas Haden Church shouldn't have been trying to cheat on his fiance but also Paul Giamatti should have been more chill from the start

Fabulousity
Dec 29, 2008

Number One I order you to take a number two.

Why didn't Magneto in WIzrobe cosplay just have the drat eagles fly the stupid ring into the mountain lava pit in the first place?

Prof. Crocodile
Jun 27, 2020

I don't know anything about Marxism or the Chicago real estate market, but I do know this: margaritas pair PERFECTLY with cheese. Masterful sommeliering.

stratdax
Sep 14, 2006

Gentle Autist posted:

not getting bonus: hosed

buying heaps of dumb poo poo all the time (like a pool): also hosed

thing 1 is predatory capitalism
thing 2 is wasteful consumption

jld is a fine woman. i have never seen this movie but might watch it based on her participation

Sounds like the posting of a man who didn't have a pool as a kid.

"Wasteful consumption" yeah why don't we all just live in brutalist concrete cubes. Anything else is unnecessary.

stratdax
Sep 14, 2006

Also Vegas Vacation was the best one.

Inverted Icon
Apr 8, 2020

by Athanatos
please the grindelwalds would be the first in the hole, and todd and margo romney would be renamed todd and margo clinton and made the doges of the afterworld

ProperCauldron
Oct 11, 2004

nah chill
Didn't see any posts regarding the subtext that capitalism is so inherently poisoned in 1990 USA, that even upper-middle class families like the Griswolds have to float a check for a pool installation. Clark doesn't own the means of production and he does not have capital--the Griswolds live in constant debt. The family is allowed to appear middle class for their participation in corporate domination. Yet the boss played by Bill Murray's bro, like capitalism itself, eventually falls victim to the system's inherent contradictions.

Ziv Zulander
Mar 24, 2017

ZZ for short

stratdax posted:

Sounds like the posting of a man who didn't have a pool as a kid.

"Wasteful consumption" yeah why don't we all just live in brutalist concrete cubes. Anything else is unnecessary.

For real though, why not

git apologist
Jun 4, 2003

stratdax posted:

agreed

git apologist
Jun 4, 2003

waah waah why can’t i personally own every stupid thing that i have a passing interest in or maybe just to show others how great and rich i am. can’t possibly swim unless i OWN the water

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something

Lil Swamp Booger Baby posted:

I would actually be interested in hearing more opinions about movies where the people made out to be bad guys are actually being treated unreasonably, and I don't mean tacky poo poo like "KILLMONGER WAS RIGHT," I mean more down to earth crap like people being assholes to the Kranks for not wanting to go to Christmas or Todd and Margo being tormented by a family of imbeciles nonstop.

Not a movie, but it always bugged me in Seinfeld around the turn of the millennium that Neuman was going to throw a "Welcome To The New Millennium!" (the Neumanium) party on the 1999/2000 changeover. Jerry proceeds to berate him about the fact that the new millenium doesn't start until the 2000/2001 changeover, and all the big parties would happen then, and that Neuman was in idiot for throwing his party a year early. Everyone agrees with the Jerry and relentlessly mocks Neuman for this.

Of course, while technically correct, in real life everyone cared about the 1999/2000 changeover and threw huge parties then, and no one gave a poo poo about the 2000/2001 changeover.

BigBadSteve
Apr 29, 2009

Poohs Packin posted:

The grandpa from Charlie and the Chocolate Factory has supposedly been in bed for 20 years despite being maybe in his mid 60s. Hes a dole bludging layabout who refuses to work and help his struggling family. Hes able to leap out of bed at the first sign he can benefit from someone elses success, like a goddamn lamprey.

:lol: Seriously, you should make a movie review blog.

BigBadSteve
Apr 29, 2009

Extra Large Marge posted:

The Godfather would have been a better movie if they just focused on their olive oil business rather than crime.

And what kind of lovely actor mumbles their way through a movie with a literal mouth full of cotton wool anyway.

At least in Apocalypse Now Brando is murdered for his efforts rather than dying of natural causes.

phasmid
Jan 16, 2015

Booty Shaker
SILENT MAJORITY
Godfather would've been a better movie if Vito had put a hit on his idiot nephew or whatever for spraying him with weedkiller while he was in distress. Kill the Pater Famalias amd think your oh-so-innocent ruse will go unnoticed, boy? A cord of silk and a dip in the sea for you!

Also Santino kills Chevy Chase because his house is on the way to Connie's.

Poohs Packin
Jan 13, 2019

BigBadSteve posted:

:lol: Seriously, you should make a movie review blog.

Thank you but Im pretty sure that market is cornered ill just keep posting my dumb ideas in GBS where they matter

PeterCat
Apr 8, 2020

Believe women.

phasmid posted:

Godfather would've been a better movie if Vito had put a hit on his idiot nephew or whatever for spraying him with weedkiller while he was in distress. Kill the Pater Famalias amd think your oh-so-innocent ruse will go unnoticed, boy? A cord of silk and a dip in the sea for you!

Also Santino kills Chevy Chase because his house is on the way to Connie's.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3ziW0LdBzXw

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oB1pDASNe8E&t=96s

git apologist
Jun 4, 2003

Bloody Hedgehog posted:

Not a movie, but it always bugged me in Seinfeld around the turn of the millennium that Neuman was going to throw a "Welcome To The New Millennium!" (the Neumanium) party on the 1999/2000 changeover. Jerry proceeds to berate him about the fact that the new millenium doesn't start until the 2000/2001 changeover, and all the big parties would happen then, and that Neuman was in idiot for throwing his party a year early. Everyone agrees with the Jerry and relentlessly mocks Neuman for this.

Of course, while technically correct, in real life everyone cared about the 1999/2000 changeover and threw huge parties then, and no one gave a poo poo about the 2000/2001 changeover.

it's actually that newman booked the party for 'the millenium' so his party was 2000/2001 and was "thus, quite lame"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fofcLXshq_8

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something

Gentle Autist posted:

it's actually that newman booked the party for 'the millenium' so his party was 2000/2001 and was "thus, quite lame"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fofcLXshq_8

Hot dang, mandala effect in action right there. I had it completely reversed in my head.

pop fly to McGillicutty
Feb 2, 2004

A peckish little mouse!

Devils Affricate posted:

Imagine the kind of scientific insight the world would have gained if Elliot hadn't managed to help E.T. escape

We'd definitely have glow tip dicks by now

Poohs Packin
Jan 13, 2019

Inverted Icon posted:

Truman Burbank ruined the best television show of all time

The end of The Truman Show kind of bugs me because his leaving the dome is presented as this completely new lease on life. It would be cool to see a follow up to the film in which he is cloistered away in another dome of his own creation; as he struggles to cope with his new autonomy. He finds himself even more distanced from "real people" because of his near infinite money and status as "world's most famous person". His very public escape and subsequent ascension make him a target for grifters and hangers-on. He has trouble reading people as his whole life has been orchestrated for him. Truman Show is dark, man.

Extra Large Marge
Jan 21, 2004

Fun Shoe
I would have enjoyed the Vacation movies more if the vacations went better.

phasmid
Jan 16, 2015

Booty Shaker
SILENT MAJORITY

God that was such a good terrible movie.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Do it ironically posted:

I think it’s affable because most boomer people think like, oh yeah I get annoyed at these “things” too and I’d love to “go off” on my boss or idiot brother in law etc
A movie critic pointed out that Chevy Chase in the Vacation movies is a very specific kind of idiot-- he's exactly smart enough to know he's a moron, but exactly stupid enough to think that if he stands up straight and does everything "according to plan" he can fool everyone around him into believing he's not a dumbass.

Every response he has to any event in the Vacation movies are either "I meant to do that" or "It's supposed to do that" until he finally breaks and throws a tantrum and the rest of the world has sympathy and literally bends the rule of society to give him and his family a collective handjob via an amusement park or christmas memory or whatever.

And boy-loving-howdy if that isn't why Boomers love it.

N. Senada
May 17, 2011

My kidneys are busted
Yeah, I never saw Clark as the hero. I was Rusty, trying to eke out a good time while my loving dad loses his goddamn mind

I just want to play my Pokémon game in the backseat dad, just let me be at peace

Prof. Crocodile
Jun 27, 2020

Frank Shirley did nothing wrong.

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

We demand to be taken seriously

Poohs Packin posted:

I dont even really think its objectively bad, I just saw it again recently and thought more critically about why were meant to hate Todd and Margo. While they are presented as sort of whiny, I can definitely identify with their lifestyle (no kids, not big on holidays, physical fitness, professionally minded) way more than the Griswolds having it all and hating outlook.

Lets talk about Mrs Doubtfire. My god. Stalking, breaching court orders, casual justifiation for emotional abuse, possibly home invasion.

Those are good points. Rewatched this holiday season and yeah other than asking Clark where he's going to place the tree (provoking a disproportionate response) they don't do anything to the Griswolds. Dreyfus is definitely elevating the material, but other than that it's an odd time capsule of hating yuppies.

For Mrs. Doubtfire, We Hates Movies had a great take about how Pierce Brosnan is a saint but gets treated like a monster, and Williams is the resourceful hero who attempts to murder him in the restaurant for the crime of taking his girlfriend and her kids (who he adores) and the nanny out to a nice restaurant for her birthday. Then he shrugs off the crime instead of demanding an end to Williams' crime spree.

naem
May 29, 2011

Todd and Margo are on the low end of wealthy, the Griswolds hoped to buy a pool- the symbol becoming upper middle class

those two social classes are right next to each other on the ladder and have culture clashes

the movie mocked all of them (low hanging fruit really)

naem fucked around with this message at 20:15 on Jan 28, 2021

SilvergunSuperman
Aug 7, 2010

Extra Large Marge posted:

I would have enjoyed the Vacation movies more if the vacations went better.

That slow mo of them running to the gates over chariots of fire is legit one of the funniest scenes ever imo, the laughing with delight and throwing arms in the air with joy loving slays me.

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something
Lemme just do that joke where I yell "RUSS!" really loudly, even though Rusty is right next to me, for the 12th time.

-- Chevy Chase, Comedy Jeenyus.

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

I could watch Eddie knock over that balancing toy all day and lol every time

N. Senada
May 17, 2011

My kidneys are busted

hawowanlawow posted:

I could watch Eddie knock over that balancing toy all day and lol every time
Good quote for a good post

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
chevy chase sucks and is an irredeemable rear end in a top hat in every role he plays but also irl

Brother Tadger
Feb 15, 2012

I'm accidentally a suicide bomber!

Idk, Fletch seemed redeemable

ChickenHeart
Nov 28, 2007

Take me at your own risk.

Kiss From a Hog
The protagonists of The Lost World: Jurassic Park make a mockery of conservation science by trying to rescue and preserve man-made genetic abominations. In their quest to "save the dinosaurs," they manage to get dozens of people killed, throw San Fransisco into total bedlam, and aided in the proliferation of invasive species further destabilizing ecosystems worldwide.

git apologist
Jun 4, 2003

ChickenHeart posted:

The protagonists of The Lost World: Jurassic Park make a mockery of conservation science by trying to rescue and preserve man-made genetic abominations. In their quest to "save the dinosaurs," they manage to get dozens of people killed, throw San Fransisco into total bedlam, and aided in the proliferation of invasive species further destabilizing ecosystems worldwide.

you look like a poindexter bolding movie names for no reason

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
says the pointdexter who knew how to spellthe word right

ChickenHeart
Nov 28, 2007

Take me at your own risk.

Kiss From a Hog

Gentle Autist posted:

you look like a poindexter bolding movie names for no reason

I'll bold your rear end with my foot

Brother Tadger
Feb 15, 2012

I'm accidentally a suicide bomber!

Khanstant posted:

says the pointdexter who knew how to spellthe word right

He’s got ya there, mate

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

Clark shouldn't have spent money he didn't have on something really expensive. But the "well it's a bonus don't complain" argument is very short sighted. Some companies have been converting more and more of your actual compensation over to bonuses. So you can say "well it's just a bonus don't count on it" over and over again but your company probably has been holding your salaries flat so you're losing money to inflation. And meanwhile that company probably has been touting your bonus as part of your overall compensation package, so even if it's not guaranteed they probably still make up some target number (that you'll never reach) in order to make you feel like you're getting some great compensation.