Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kagaya Homoraisan
Aug 28, 2019

You say, run away
Instead, you get scared
For the way that I feel
Drops out into all this disorder
digimon world 2 because it had a level cap system that you worked around by combining dudes but i thought that was insanely stupid so i ran around with a team stuck in the early 20s until i got stuck and quit lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

trying to jack off posted:

my friend once thought his copy of mgs was broken for months until i came over and used O instead of X to navigate the menus for him

lfmao

Wormskull
Aug 23, 2009

Lumines because of my failure to pay attention to the rules and not wanting to do the tutorial.

Wormskull
Aug 23, 2009

And also when I first played WoW I was coming from Diablo 2 and thought it was that kind of game so my first character was completely jacked up and worthless

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Kagaya Homoraisan posted:

digimon world 2 because it had a level cap system that you worked around by combining dudes but i thought that was insanely stupid so i ran around with a team stuck in the early 20s until i got stuck and quit lol

i had that problem on dragon quest monsters bc i didnt knew how to recruit + breed monsters so i kept getting pwned because my party was just a lovely slime

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Also there were lot of snes jrpgs i got pwned because I didn't knew english at the time like chrono trigger (dragon tank fight) and ff6 (the snail)

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

not a video game I guess but I was never able to change my avatar on forums for years as a kid because I thought the user control panel always referred to the one on windows itself and couldn't figure it out

Quarterroys
Jul 1, 2008

i didn’t know poo poo about football as a kid, and couldn’t figure out why I had so much trouble winning in this John Elway SNES game I had

apparently throwing a hail mary every single play was not the path to victory

Quarterroys
Jul 1, 2008

on the flip side, the exact same strategy was incredible in SNES Stanley Cup

you could hit X to dump the puck high up in the air to the other side of the rink, and I found a spot around mid-ice where if you timed it right, the puck would fly right over the goalie’s head and land behind him in the net 100% of the time

apparently i was so bad at sports games i could only win abusing glitches lol

Wormskull
Aug 23, 2009

Quarterroys posted:

i didn’t know poo poo about football as a kid, and couldn’t figure out why I had so much trouble winning in this John Elway SNES game I had

apparently throwing a hail mary every single play was not the path to victory

Oh yeah I joined the football team in middle school and then learned the rules of football by the end of the year by playing ESPN NFL 2K3 on PS2.

Daikatana Ritsu
Aug 1, 2008

I thought Mallow's move that shows enemy HP was a damage spell and probably spent hours over several days wondering why Punchinello was so hard.

Wormskull
Aug 23, 2009

Daikatana Ritsu posted:

I thought Mallow's move that shows enemy HP was a damage spell and probably spent hours over several days wondering why Punchinello was so hard.

Lmao

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

Daikatana Ritsu posted:

lmao

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Daikatana Ritsu posted:

Lol

AdmiralViscen
Nov 2, 2011

Antivehicular posted:

I got Sonic 2 for the Game Gear as an Easter present when I was 9, and the first boss (the bomb centipede thing in the minecart level) was nigh-impossible for me. I think I got to the second level once, and it was on the bus on the way to a field trip; I was maybe 15 seconds into 2-1 when we arrived and I had to turn the Game Gear off.

I played that game for a year or two, on and off, and then dropped it like a hot rock. I've never gone back.

This was not your fail, the cropping in the game gear version makes that abysmal

The master system version is much easier

Tokyo Sexwale
Jul 30, 2003

Plutonis posted:

Also there were lot of snes jrpgs i got pwned because I didn't knew english at the time like chrono trigger (dragon tank fight) and ff6 (the snail)

lol I knew English and still did that poo poo

Fluoride Jones
Aug 24, 2009

toot toot
Not understanding that I could press down in sonic games while he's running to get him to spin dash thru enemies. I think I ended up just waiting through a lot of levels very hesitantly

absolutely anything
Dec 28, 2006

~As for dreams, she has enough and more to spare~
i rented final fantasy tactics exactly once as a kid because the only rpgs i had played before it were mario rpg and final fantasy 7 and i could not conceive of saving at anything other than a designated save point, so i got super pissed when i wiped a few hours in before "getting to the first save point" and lost my progress so i returned it early

Zurtilik
Oct 23, 2015

The Biggest Brain in Guardia
I didn't read and got wrecked by the first boss in FFVII and decided the game was broken.

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

It depends if you played the original FVII or when it was ported to PSP/3 etc.

quote:

This fight is famous for one phrase alone: "Attack while it's tail's up!" In the original game, it's a suggestion Cloud gives the player. However, it's actually a translation error. As many found out, attacking the Guard Scorpion while its tail is up results in it unleashing a pretty hefty counterattack called "Tail Laser."

so misreading should have saved you!

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
iirc they split the warning into two messages that last long enough that you'll act before the second one appears. something like "attack while it's tail's up" ... "and it'll counter with its laser!"

iirc the ff7 translation was basically done by one guy with bad tools, no spellchecker since everything had to be written like this, and no editor overseeing things, so it's kind of amazing that it's coherent at all

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

I belive FF8 didn't even come with a script when they were translating that one and they had to do it directly looking through game files

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

also let us not forget "this guy are sick"

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

EmmyOk posted:

I belive FF8 didn't even come with a script when they were translating that one and they had to do it directly looking through game files
square had a lot of internal issues with translation in the early ps1 era

there was one game, i think it was one of the chocobo mystery dungeon games, where they couldn't translated it because all the source materials had been deleted to make room on the hard drive for the team's next project

eventually they woke up and started establishing proper practices and such, i think chrono cross was the first game to actually have proper developer support and such (hence the silly accent system stuff to repurpose dialogue between tons of characters)

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

the guy who translated the PS1 games was a real chicken-wuss.

Scrub-Niggurath
Nov 27, 2007

my first wow character was a warlock and I never bothered learning Lifetap because why would I ever want to damage myself??

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

The Kins posted:

there was one game, i think it was one of the chocobo mystery dungeon games, where they couldn't translated it because all the source materials had been deleted to make room on the hard drive for the team's next project

eventually they woke up and started establishing proper practices and such, i think chrono cross was the first game to actually have proper developer support and such (hence the silly accent system stuff to repurpose dialogue between tons of characters)

the woolsey snes translations for the ff games had these problems too only he also only had like a month to do them and had to do everything with old school nintendo censorship in mind. i'll see if i can find the article talking about it but the short version is that woolsey's a badass

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

Fungah! posted:

the woolsey snes translations for the ff games had these problems too only he also only had like a month to do them and had to do everything with old school nintendo censorship in mind. i'll see if i can find the article talking about it but the short version is that woolsey's a badass
he had absurdly short amounts of time, nintendo censorship breathing down his neck, terrible tools (iirc for secret of mana he was basically given a list of all the text in the game without any context and had to videotape himself playing through the game for reference on wtf) and very limited cartridge space (since the japanese text was more compact than the english equivalent that basically meant he had less space to get information across)

the results weren't perfect but the dude definitely deserves credit for what was accomplished

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

The Kins posted:

he had absurdly short amounts of time, nintendo censorship breathing down his neck, terrible tools (iirc for secret of mana he was basically given a list of all the text in the game without any context and had to videotape himself playing through the game for reference on wtf) and very limited cartridge space (since the japanese text was more compact than the english equivalent that basically meant he had less space to get information across)

the results weren't perfect but the dude definitely deserves credit for what was accomplished

i honestly think the woolsey ff6 is a masterpiece, it has a ton of charm and memorable lines for something he did in like three weeks. its not the most accurate and its definitely goofy but tbh i dont care about accuracy that much. too much accuracy and you get p5's endless "it can't be helped" parade

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Fungah! posted:

i honestly think the woolsey ff6 is a masterpiece, it has a ton of charm and memorable lines for something he did in like three weeks. its not the most accurate and its definitely goofy but tbh i dont care about accuracy that much. too much accuracy and you get p5's endless "it can't be helped" parade

there's definitely some awkwardness ("loaded for bear" is a weird colloquialism to choose for multiple characters to say), but lines like "you all sound like chapters from a self-help book!" still shine, and you can at least mostly tell what's going on. my favorite thing about the ff6 localization is still that they had to put booty shorts on siren to avoid nudity, i like to picture the panicked sprite artist doing it in something like the Mario Paint stamp editor.

does anyone know what the hell is up with the "chicken-wuss" thing? it seems pretty obvious that seifer is supposed to be calling zell a pussy but i can't tell if it's localization censorship or them intentionally making it weird to be family friendly everywhere.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Fungah! posted:

i honestly think the woolsey ff6 is a masterpiece, it has a ton of charm and memorable lines for something he did in like three weeks.
This. I still prefer his Chrono Trigger to the more accurate DS translation, too.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

FactsAreUseless posted:

This. I still prefer his Chrono Trigger to the more accurate DS translation, too.

i can't remember what Azala is actually supposed to say, but the original translation where she says "the future...." and ayla is like "yeah? what about it?" and azala just says "we..... have no future" is definitely better. the only problem with that translation is that there really are parts of the plot you lose. it's hard to tell what's going on with the multiple melchiors and whatnot in the original translation

Tato
Jun 19, 2001

DIRECTIVE 236: Promote pro-social values
I couldn’t beat FFIV once you got to more bosses that required you to use things like shell and wall. My brain couldn’t fathom using the boring white magic instead of just wailing on everything, no matter how much the game straight up told you what to do.

I also couldn’t make it out of the first world in Final Fantasy Legend. Now playing through it in the recent collection, I get how it works. But 8 year old me had no loving chance even with the big manual. Just endlessly cycling my monster through the same weak transforms and no clue how to level anyone up.

I got the tude now
Jul 22, 2007

Fungah! posted:

is he the one who did earthbound too? i was always impressed with the the translation or transference of a pretty specific tone and sense of humor, the pencil eraser/eraser eraser gag still makes me smile.

P-Mack
Nov 10, 2007

Tato posted:

I couldn’t beat FFIV once you got to more bosses that required you to use things like shell and wall. My brain couldn’t fathom using the boring white magic instead of just wailing on everything, no matter how much the game straight up told you what to do.

I also couldn’t make it out of the first world in Final Fantasy Legend. Now playing through it in the recent collection, I get how it works. But 8 year old me had no loving chance even with the big manual. Just endlessly cycling my monster through the same weak transforms and no clue how to level anyone up.

I ran from enemies too much in FFIV and turned it into a low level challenge run but still beat Zeromus eventually by getting Kain's jump cycles to sync up perfectly with big bang.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

I got the tude now posted:

is he the one who did earthbound too? i was always impressed with the the translation or transference of a pretty specific tone and sense of humor, the pencil eraser/eraser eraser gag still makes me smile.
earthbound was localized by dan owsen (who did a lot of the old nintendo's translation in the 90s and 2000s, as well as the "the last metroid is in captivity..." voiceover) and marcus lindblom at nintendo of america, with masayuki miura providing assistance and direction on the japanese side. here's a twitter thread where lindblom talks about catching up with miura

https://twitter.com/CarriedAwayGame/status/1297998384188387328

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

absolutely anything posted:

i rented final fantasy tactics exactly once as a kid because the only rpgs i had played before it were mario rpg and final fantasy 7 and i could not conceive of saving at anything other than a designated save point, so i got super pissed when i wiped a few hours in before "getting to the first save point" and lost my progress so i returned it early

i had the opposite problem bc i saved BUT during the riovanes castle i saved after the first fight but my party was kinda underleveled so i got pwned by wiegraf/velius every time

absolutely anything
Dec 28, 2006

~As for dreams, she has enough and more to spare~

Plutonis posted:

i had the opposite problem bc i saved BUT during the riovanes castle i saved after the first fight but my party was kinda underleveled so i got pwned by wiegraf/velius every time

i did kind of the same thing in ff8, i only used squall irvine and rinoa the whole game and got to the part in disc 4 where you go back to a disc 1 area and lose rinoa and i just could not beat the boss without her. the old area still only had like level 10 enemies from disc 1 so i couldnt grind anyone else up and if you saved in there you couldnt leave

Kagaya Homoraisan
Aug 28, 2019

You say, run away
Instead, you get scared
For the way that I feel
Drops out into all this disorder

The Kins posted:

chorono cross was the first not absolute trainwreck but the first square game where they genuinely had everything they needed to do well was vagrant story. the interview with the two translators for that game thats floating around is great. also the fact that theres two of them says something in itself.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

trying to jack off
Dec 31, 2007

Scrub-Niggurath posted:

my first wow character was a warlock and I never bothered learning Lifetap because why would I ever want to damage myself??

im sure this means something to someone