Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Sivek posted:

Final Fantasy Tactics wasn't my first tactics rpg but I died multiple times in the first battle until I realized you had to use the shoulder buttons on the ps1 controller to deploy more troops.
Spent an afternoon with a friend figuring out how to solo this because it never occurred to us that we could add more troops. I just thought we didn't have any yet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Fungah! posted:

i honestly think the woolsey ff6 is a masterpiece, it has a ton of charm and memorable lines for something he did in like three weeks.
This. I still prefer his Chrono Trigger to the more accurate DS translation, too.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Knuc U Kinte posted:

This is probably my biggest gaming L from the very beginning, but kingdom hearts on the PS2. When I bought the game I tried to hide what I was buying from the other people in the store because I was a self conscious teen and got owned by this 6 foot plus brick shithouse of a nerd who boomed "AHH KINGDOM HEARTS" to the entire store, chuckling while he rang it up and possibly activating a gypsy curse that haunts me to this day. Went red, but didnt care, because I loved final fantasy and this poo poo looked awesome. Played it for weeks until I got up to Maleficant and then the Riku fight immediately after which has like 2 minutes of unskippable cutscenes. I remember just hitting a brick wall against this fight, because my entire strategy was just cheesing Donald and Goofy to stay alive, but they arent available for this battle, and I just kept getting pwned over and over without even getting close to winning. I even broke a controller out of frustration by twisting it with all my might during the unskippable bullshit. This went on for weeks and then one day I went out and my mum or my sister left a window open to dry a towel or some other female poo poo and some kids broke in and stole my PS2 with the KH disc still inside and my early 2000s style disc case. I cant even remember any of the games inside that case but I will never forget that I didnt beat that KH save file and never will.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Chrono Trigger kicked my rear end when I was 8. It was the second JRPG I played, and the first was Dragon Warrior. I didn't pay attention to the mechanics at all, I just tried to beat everything by using my strongest attacks a lot. I got stuck almost immediately on the four Naga-ettes in the Cathedral. I hadn't done any battles with Lucca so I didn't have her first tech, Flame Toss. The Naga-Ettes have high defense, a lot of life, and slow your party. I basically just threw myself at them over and over until I managed to power through with healing items. Then I got stuck on the Dragon Tank, because I just kept trying to Cyclone it (it counterattacks if you do). On the Guardian, why would I fight the two dumb floating balls? I'll just attack the big guy (it counterattacks if you do). It was pretty much this for the whole game. Chrono Trigger's easy enough that you can eventually get through, but I got stuck on pretty much everything you can get stuck on. Giga Gaia took me like two days. I have absolutely no memory of beating Magus, but I must have somehow. Probably one of my friends told me what to do, or I just got lucky.

Eventually I hit a wall. I couldn't do the mime minigame to win the Crono doll. I was just so bad at it. I had to get my mother to do it so I could continue. Then I got stuck on Death Peak because I couldn't figure out how to use the trees to keep from getting blown back down. I have no idea how I finished it. I took the bucket to fight Lavos eventually, and it was the most incredible experience of my life up to that point. Beating Lavos and finding out there was more Lavos completely blew my mind.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Martman posted:

this just made me think about how much Lavos is like Sin from FFX and it blew my mind a little that I never realized it before
FFX has a bunch of CT influence in its boss designs. There's a lot of bosses that are basically a puzzle you have to figure out, or kill enemies in a certain order, or otherwise interact with the battle in ways you don't in the other FF games.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Bicyclops posted:

it's still weird to me that Bethesda basically just stopped making games. I get that they make money by porting skyrim to smart watches or w/e but the rumor at this point puts ES6 in like 2026 and Fallout 5 in 2030
They told Todd they were going to stop porting Skyrim, so 2021-2022 is just scheduled for getting him out of the conference room where he barricaded himself.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Fungah! posted:

not my fail but related, i met a buddy of mine playing ffxi. i was screwin around outside bastok and i met some guy punching sheep in the hills buck naked. turns out he'd never played an mmo before didnt know how to make money or that he didnt have gear equipped. ive been friends with that dude for more than 15 years and he was at my wedding