Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

I keep wanting to compare this game to red orchestra but it's like someone took a lot of valid criticisms of where RO chooses simulator features over approachable gameplay, and remedied some of them to the best of their ability. It's definitely not as arcadey as battlefield but it's not as impenetrable as red orchestra, but on the other other hand, you definitely want to use all the concealment and cover you can while advancing, you definitely need to work as a team/unit to succeed, and you definitely will end up waiting 40 seconds to spawn if you don't slow down and stay low. I keep thinking I'm going to bounce off it but I just keep playing and I'll be hosed if I'll ever figure out why. Maybe it's the lack of planes, maybe it's how effective they make coordinated fire and maneuver stuff.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

MrYenko posted:

Artillery or a strafing run of a fortified position followed by a coordinated assault is something I’ve only seen brought off once, but holy poo poo was it cool as gently caress.

Yeah I don't know how they managed to make the game in such a way that team coordination and properly supported assaults are not only OP, not even only one way among many to win, but the only effective way to play the game. There's not really a way for a single poopsock-tier chucklefuck to dominate an entire map solo, not even a good way for a single squad to do it, everything supports someone and needs support from someone else and it's all delegated out broadly enough that you've got to have, like several squads acting together and by that point it's just "teamwork OP" all over again.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Duck_King posted:

The Chugging The Stairs Mumble goons play it pretty regularly.

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3796734

wow mumble works on modern PCs?

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

I played this game like 3-4 months ago and it was way more fun, now there's almost nobody who works like an actual squad and the only pings I've been seeing are at like the commander level.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

I'm learning there's a few basic rules:

1: get there first and set up an ambush

2: if the red team is there already, use armor or arty to address this

3: if you're alone you are not only doing it wrong but are actively trying to lose the game for your team because you are leaving your squad element under strength and this will inevitably result in them being wiped

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

fat bossy gerbil posted:

Is performance alright on the PC version? I held off on getting this a couple years back when I still had a rig because everyone said it ran like dogshit. I’m throwing together an i3 12100 build tomorrow with an RX 6600 and 16gb RAM and I’ve been craving some good big map WW2 realism gameplay ever since the original Red Orchestra.

I don't know what that radeon is equivalent to but my i9-9900k and 2070 super run it all right, but not at 4k. It ran fine when I first picked the game up, but then I'd heard folks saying they patched in some dogshit performance but I can only assume they patched it back out given it runs all right these days, I just haven't had much time to play

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

mines are great lmao

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

If someone has a mic and a good idea of where an outpost or garrison is, there's gonna be folks ready for anyone spawning and making a beeline for a cap point

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

CuddleCryptid posted:

Was able to get into a stable game and I really can't tell the difference in terms of the speed change. Charging across an open field is still going to get you shot, it still takes ages to run from point to point, and spawns are still long timers. It might increase the contact rate of people throughout the game but that's a good thing? I guess it could facilitate annoying flanks but that's again something that already happens just slower.

Looking over some of the complaints it seems like they're whining that they have a harder time hitting people in the brief period that they appear as they run between hedgerows, which A) skill issue and B) if you're looking for realism then you expect soldiers to be taking a leisurely jog during the time when they're incredibly exposed to fire?

Also you can just shoot through foliage can't you?