Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

maybe a coupon day where you can use a discount code to reg :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rooted Vegetable
Jun 1, 2002
SA has a lot more potential than that for stupid stuff you can't get anywhere else.

* Force hats on others
* Mess with posts backgrounds (but don't fall into the forum cancer issue)
* Change (or add) an image to another posters "thank you for posting, we hope it didn't suck" page
* Temporarily replace one smiley with another in a thread.

Edit: pay to write probe reasons (cannot pay to probe, just change the reason - some exclusions where common sense says so)

Rooted Vegetable fucked around with this message at 02:38 on Jan 29, 2021

Skyl3lazer
Aug 27, 2007

[Dooting Stealthily]

Just make me a mod I promise I won't abuse it

Skyl3lazer
Aug 27, 2007

[Dooting Stealthily]

Or admin, it's fine. I'll read reports and poo poo.

Skyl3lazer
Aug 27, 2007

[Dooting Stealthily]

All this work from home nonsense now so I have time, how hard can it be

Dumb Sex-Parrot
Dec 25, 2020

Absurd Pox Term
Rad Buxom Strep

Retard Ox Bumps
Borax Dumpster

Dares Box Trump

Jeffrey of YOSPOS posted:

Other costs we will incur include bills for legal and accounting services. These will be for the purpose of keeping the business in good legal standing and are 100% unrelated to the initial transaction with lowtax - I gave my word that forums store purchases wouldn't go to him or making a deal with him, and I meant it. I have kept a strict separation between forums finances and my personal finances and that is how it will stay.

I'm confused about the bolded bit; are you saying there have been, or will be, more payments going to Lowtax?

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011

Dumb Sex-Parrot posted:

I'm confused about the bolded bit; are you saying there have been, or will be, more payments going to Lowtax?

What do you think "I bought the site" and "Lowtax sold the site" meant?

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

Remember a few years ago when people knowingly donated money to Cards Against Humanity to pay for the digging of a huge, pointless hole in the ground, for no reason whatsoever? Just something to keep in mind in case there's too much money left over after all of us donate.

Also: appreciate the transparency, the forums seem to be in good hands, I'd happily kick in a few bucks a month (hole or no hole), etc.

Skyl3lazer
Aug 27, 2007

[Dooting Stealthily]

What's the worst that could happen?

Dumb Sex-Parrot
Dec 25, 2020

Absurd Pox Term
Rad Buxom Strep

Retard Ox Bumps
Borax Dumpster

Dares Box Trump

Arrhythmia posted:

What do you think "I bought the site" and "Lowtax sold the site" meant?

Uh a single transaction :confused:

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS

Dumb Sex-Parrot posted:

That's "the initial transaction with lowtax" as in "the initial transaction, you know, the one with lowtax". Future transactions will be with for other things like employees, hosting providers, company car payments, and times square billboard space. Sorry for the ambiguous wording - there are no more transactions with lowtax.

Dumb Sex-Parrot
Dec 25, 2020

Absurd Pox Term
Rad Buxom Strep

Retard Ox Bumps
Borax Dumpster

Dares Box Trump
Cool, thanks!

Slippery
May 16, 2004

Muscles Boxcar
Just wanted to say thanks for all you're doing. Been here 16 years almost and this is the best, likely only, place that replicates the cozy neighborhood feel of an old single line BBS run out of someone's bedroom.

Thanks for what you and the team do and I'll be happy to throw a few bucks, especially if there's a monthly option or patreon (no tier rewards please :) )

$10 a month or whatever is the least I can do...

Thanks and here's to the next 20+!

Slippery fucked around with this message at 03:33 on Jan 29, 2021

Slippery
May 16, 2004

Muscles Boxcar

Bilirubin posted:

oh yeah, seeing all these fine posters reminds me that making it possible to buy a custom plat icon would be a splendid feature and means for raising more funds.

But what I would pay REAL dollars for is a 4-20-69 reg date. I had asked an admin about it at some point and was told it was impossible due to some database-related witchcraft regarding where dates start counting up from. Seemed pretty suspicious but I'm no witch what do I know

e. also agree with making the tshirt guy the paywall image

Someone, EPG maybe? absolutely had a 1969 regdate once upon a time.

FUCK SNEEP
Apr 21, 2007

Slippery posted:

Someone, EPG maybe? absolutely had a 1969 regdate once upon a time.

since the reg date is from a unix time timestamp, i think he set his to 0 which corresponds to 12:00:00 Jan 1st 1970 GMT. since that timestamp is parsed locally on your machine when you load a page on something awful it uses your timezone, which would put it in dec 31st 1969.

Slippery
May 16, 2004

Muscles Boxcar

gently caress SNEEP posted:

since the reg date is from a unix time timestamp, i think he set his to 0 which corresponds to 12:00:00 Jan 1st 1970 GMT. since that timestamp is parsed locally on your machine when you load a page on something awful it uses your timezone, which would put it in dec 31st 1969.

Huh, I didn't realize that, that's really neat!

But wouldn't that mean anyone could do the same and basically pick whatever regdate?

I'd want to have a regdate like a couple years into the future, see if anyone noticed lol

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Slippery posted:

But wouldn't that mean anyone could do the same and basically pick whatever regdate?

I'd want to have a regdate like a couple years into the future, see if anyone noticed lol

You couldn’t do it past a point in 2038, when the 32 bit Unix clock is out of time.

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦

Ugly In The Morning posted:

You couldn’t do it past a point in 2038, when the 32 bit Unix clock is out of time.

Y2k38 doesn't have as much of a ring to it

Leon Sumbitches
Mar 27, 2010

Dr. Leon Adoso Sumbitches (prounounced soom-'beh-cheh) (born January 21, 1935) is heir to the legendary Adoso family oil fortune.

Is it gonna be another Y2K bug?

FUCK SNEEP
Apr 21, 2007

Slippery posted:

ya you can set it in the future, but you're likely limited to a 32-bit unix timestamp which only goes so far as 19 Jan 2038 (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Year_2038_problem). this is why we need more funding for SA development so we can get 64 bit regdates!!!

somebody does have a max regdate out there, but I don't remember who exactly

Slippery
May 16, 2004

Muscles Boxcar
Well Ive learned something from the several posts above me, so thank you!

And yeah I'm holding out for Titanium or whatever that custom software radium was making so we can get 64 bit regdates!!

Polygynous
Dec 13, 2006
welp

Leon Sumbitches posted:

Is it gonna be another Y2K bug?

If you mean a lot of work will go into fixing it then when nothing happens people will go "lol no big deal", then yes.

ColdPie
Jun 9, 2006

Slippery posted:

Well Ive learned something from the several posts above me, so thank you!

And yeah I'm holding out for Titanium or whatever that custom software radium was making so we can get 64 bit regdates!!

Titan!

Slippery
May 16, 2004

Muscles Boxcar

Only registered members can see post attachments!

idempodunk
May 12, 2001
Toilet Rascal
I'd happily subscribe to a Patreon.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Oh poo poo, Jeffrey is going to have to add some new slurs

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:
Goofy incidentals that don't actually add or do anything, platinum icons, stuff like that could be good.
Those of us with fully pimped-out accounts gotta keep up with the Joneses, make more poo poo we have to add to feed into our completionist tendencies.

shadow puppet of a
Jan 10, 2007

NO TENGO SCORPIO

Slippery posted:

Just wanted to say thanks for all you're doing. Been here 16 years almost and this is the best, likely only, place that replicates the cozy neighborhood feel of an old single line BBS run out of someone's bedroom.

Jeff please install a copy of TradeWars on the somethingawful server and link to it from the main navigation header without fanfare or comment and it will fast grow in legend as the most infamous TW instance ever and draw in a host of envious 40-50 year old huge nerd.

Skyl3lazer
Aug 27, 2007

[Dooting Stealthily]

shadow puppet of a posted:

Jeff please install a copy of TradeWars on the somethingawful server and link to it from the main navigation header without fanfare or comment and it will fast grow in legend as the most infamous TW instance ever and draw in a host of envious 40-50 year old huge nerd.

Oo we can do a like 2 month reset tw instance that would own

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

KakerMix posted:

Goofy incidentals that don't actually add or do anything, platinum icons, stuff like that could be good.
Those of us with fully pimped-out accounts gotta keep up with the Joneses, make more poo poo we have to add to feed into our completionist tendencies.

Give us a special icon once we hit 100,000 posts, I'm close, dammit so close

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

The sanctioned action is to CHUG

This Unix stuff just keeps sounding better and better!

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

The sanctioned action is to CHUG

Pick posted:

Give us a special icon once we hit 100,000 posts, I'm close, dammit so close

???

We have one already?

Knormal
Nov 11, 2001

The 32-bit time bug has been fixed for ages in all modern OSes.

quote:

Most operating systems designed to run on 64-bit hardware already use signed 64-bit time_t integers. Using a signed 64-bit value introduces a new wraparound date that is over twenty times greater than the estimated age of the universe: approximately 292 billion years from now. The ability to make computations on dates is limited by the fact that tm_year uses a signed 32 bit integer value starting at 1900 for the year. This limits the year to a maximum of 2,147,485,547 (2,147,483,647 + 1900).[13]

FreeBSD uses 64-bit time_t for all 32-bit and 64-bit architectures except 32-bit i386, which uses signed 32-bit time_t instead.[14]

Starting with NetBSD version 6.0 (released in October 2012), the NetBSD operating system uses a 64-bit time_t for both 32-bit and 64-bit architectures. Applications that were compiled for an older NetBSD release with 32-bit time_t are supported via a binary compatibility layer, but such older applications will still suffer from the Year 2038 problem.[15]

OpenBSD since version 5.5, released in May 2014, also uses a 64-bit time_t for both 32-bit and 64-bit architectures. In contrast to NetBSD, there is no binary compatibility layer. Therefore, applications expecting a 32-bit time_t and applications using anything different from time_t to store time values may break.[16]

Linux originally used a 64-bit time_t for 64-bit architectures only; the pure 32-bit ABI was not changed due to backward compatibility.[17] Starting with version 5.6, 64-bit time_t is supported on 32-bit architectures, too. This was done primarily for the sake of embedded Linux systems.[18]
It may still be broken in various apps, but everyone's still got 17 years to upgrade to a patched version. Maybe we'll even be off vBulletin by then.

Full Metal Jackass
Jan 22, 2001

Rabid bats are welcome in my home
I've received a digital fancy hat so already a huge improvement on the forums.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS

Knormal posted:

The 32-bit time bug has been fixed for ages in all modern OSes.

It may still be broken in various apps, but everyone's still got 17 years to upgrade to a patched version. Maybe we'll even be off vBulletin by then.
not everyone has 10,000 hour probations to implement okay

Gynovore
Jun 17, 2009

Forget your RoboCoX or your StickyCoX or your EvilCoX, MY CoX has Blinking Bewbs!

WHY IS THIS GAME DEAD?!

shadow puppet of a posted:

Oh god Trade Wars. The memories that brings back.

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug
free bigpeeler

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

For full disclosure I ate some fancy cookies about a month ago, but I paid for them with my own money.

good man

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord

That's "the initial transaction with lowtax" as in "the initial transaction, you know, the one with lowtax". Future transactions will be with for other things like employees, hosting providers, company car payments, and times square billboard space. Sorry for the ambiguous wording - there are no more transactions with lowtax.

Freakazoid_ posted:

I'm still curious to know how much Lowtax was paid for the assets.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦
What value is there in knowing what was paid?