Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

HugeGrossBurrito
Mar 20, 2018

Cannon_Fodder posted:

When am I getting my loving spaceship pictures?

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3943531

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HugeGrossBurrito
Mar 20, 2018

Skyl3lazer posted:

ok how do i do it, wheres my buttons

yeah like someone said, I was given one :)

Buttons

HugeGrossBurrito
Mar 20, 2018

Gynovore posted:

Wait, this is legit? Lowtax was straight up lying when he said the site was on the brink of bankruptcy every month?

Yes lol

HugeGrossBurrito
Mar 20, 2018

VERY COOL MAN posted:

hey, i loving love SA. been reading the forums & FP since 2005-6?, but i bought myself a deluxe rear end package with plat, archives, etc. in 2011 & haven't ever gotten banned so there's just not much for me to spend. i would absolutely become a sustaining member of the forums if such a thing existed

never been banned? Thats a ban

HugeGrossBurrito
Mar 20, 2018

Captain Log posted:

Are there any plans to pay mod staff or front page writers? I don't think it's a bad thing to pay people, even a little bit, who spend countless hours keeping the place together.

jeffrey pays us in delicate kisses on the top of our heads for a job well done, we dont get very many kisses

HugeGrossBurrito
Mar 20, 2018

roomtwofifteen posted:

Huh now feeling pretty silly about believing the last 15 years of "SA costs $25k/month to host, pls give me more money"

I think for awhile Lowtax was paying out the rear end for some kind of super turbo speed boost that he didnt even realize he bought and then went on the forums to complain about it. It still wasnt even close to 25k though but it was pretty funny.

HugeGrossBurrito
Mar 20, 2018

Sid Vicious posted:

hire me as forums mascot ty

this is a very good idea imo

HugeGrossBurrito
Mar 20, 2018

sebmojo posted:

I think it used to cost more before some hosting changes a few years back, but it also used to earn way more so: lowtax is a terrible, incompetent liar

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3897862

found it lol

HugeGrossBurrito
Mar 20, 2018

Fruits of the sea posted:

LOL at revenue plunging after the drama was over. Totes agree with Jeffrey about forums being a good way to discuss stuff and not be morons about it though. I will feed some dollars to a patreon if it is a thing and SA keeps on being less crap than the rest of the internet.

There were a lot of holiday avatars given out in December in like every forum, I bet January ends up higher than December.

HugeGrossBurrito
Mar 20, 2018

null_pointer posted:

Hasn't Jeffrey debunked this rumor? I've heard he said this wasn't true, but I've never seen any records of that, firsthand. Not that he has to, of course; I don't care how he makes his money, so long as he keeps giving us that sweet, sweet transparency.

hes the guy from salute your shorts

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HugeGrossBurrito
Mar 20, 2018

bewilderment posted:

I dunno if people are aware but the forums normally are totally free to view, and from time to time specific subforums go up behind the paywall. Obviously paywalling all the time doesn't induce registrations because people don't know what they're missing.

I do still like the idea that you can get a Viewing account for free that lets you read and bookmark threads but nothing else, and then you can pay for the ability to post or have it gifted to you by a sponsor.

Unironically I registered for old GBS stuff like Photoshop Friday and MS Paint stuff that doesn't happen any more after GBS was nuked for being too 'redditlike'.

lol what there’s been a photoshop thread or mspaint or both stuck at the top of GBS since like 2018