Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

kirtar
Sep 11, 2011

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild
It certainly helps that Imperial Prince dude thinks he is the protagonist in a power fantasy isekai LN.. With respect to the Kumoko portions The eel animation was a bit clunky, but that seems somewhat par for the course on random mobmeal x.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

Lot of important characters introduced today, including information-in-charge, body-in-charge, the hero, and the demon lord.

Omnicrom
Aug 3, 2007
Snorlax Afficionado

So the fact that as of this episode we now literally have multiple different Aoi Yuki spiders as seen in the opening and the ending means that I've started to pore over both the opening the ending a little bit more carefully. Especially because the shot of Prince douchebag smashing through a pane of glass is there. Doubly especially because they modified the opening slightly, Aoi Yuki spider is in her venom form rather than her base form in the opening spinning camera shot. From that I noted that the white spider monster the hero dude fought was actually in the opening for second, and more interestingly to me said spider is uncredited in the ending, it's nothing but ??? for the actor credits, and I have enough tokusatsu experience to know that means there's a swerve coming.

I wonder if present Kumoko was spawned from the white spider originally? Maybe she was a backup body that went rogue when she got Isekai'd? It wouldn't surprise me if that was actually Aoi Yuki under playing yet another spider with her voice heavily filtered, and if her body is originally the offshoot of some major power player that might explain why Kumoko can randomly pick up powerful demon lord skills. I note that "Egg laying" has been conspicuously on her list of attainable skills for a while now. It would also be a parallel to the other characters, most of the other reincarnated characters were born into some kind of noble family, right? Also, the white spider died because the demon lord, right? That is what the framing is saying, isn't it? Like, the white spider seemed like a proxy or alter ego for the demon lord that was moving too fast in confronting the hero so the demon lord let it die. Again, this is an episode where we see Kumoko gaining a second personality to help her out, so if you take it to an extreme I imagine that this is a world with powers powers that you have literal alternate selves.

Also going to reiterate that I care way more about Kumoko than any of the other characters. It's not exactly their fault that Aoi Yuki shines them off the screen, but a big chunk of that is simply that there is so much less going on with them. Regarding this episode in particular, however, I don't necessarily mind a short digression to go "by the way there's a hero because Dragon Quest is still the baseline for fantasy and Japanese anime". And reiterating that Prince douchebag is a douchebag and revealing that why he's a douchebag is actually kind of interesting thematically. As Kirtar said, he's mistaken about what kind of Isekai LN he ended up in...

kirtar
Sep 11, 2011

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

Omnicrom posted:

I wonder if present Kumoko was spawned from the white spider originally? Maybe she was a backup body that went rogue when she got Isekai'd? It wouldn't surprise me if that was actually Aoi Yuki under playing yet another spider with her voice heavily filtered, and if her body is originally the offshoot of some major power player that might explain why Kumoko can randomly pick up powerful demon lord skills. I note that "Egg laying" has been conspicuously on her list of attainable skills for a while now. It would also be a parallel to the other characters, most of the other reincarnated characters were born into some kind of noble family, right? Also, the white spider died because the demon lord, right? That is what the framing is saying, isn't it? Like, the white spider seemed like a proxy or alter ego for the demon lord that was moving too fast in confronting the hero so the demon lord let it die. Again, this is an episode where we see Kumoko gaining a second personality to help her out, so if you take it to an extreme I imagine that this is a world with powers powers that you have literal alternate selves.

Xelkelvos posted:

The things happening here also allude to something that's not revealed until much later iirc. These are happening asynchronously

^ That should give some idea of what is going on without mentioning any specific details.

ThingOne
Jul 30, 2011

Would you like some tofu?

I'm enjoying the classmate portions a lot more than I thought I would. The dumb Isakai High School drama provides a fun contrast to Kumako's daily struggle for survival.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

As a light novel reader who knows what all of this is I'm really enjoying the anime only folks attempting to suss out what's going on.

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather
I can't wait for Aoi Yuuki having a heated discussion with Aoi Yuuki only to be suddenly interrupted by a third instance of Aoi Yuuki, until they all talk at the same time and start to just shout over each other.
Somehow, she only needs one take to record it.

cant cook creole bream fucked around with this message at 23:37 on Feb 12, 2021

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

cant cook creole bream posted:

I can't wait for Aoi Yuuki having a heated discussion with Aoi Yuuki only to be suddenly interrupted by a third instance of Aoi Yuuki, until they all talk at the same time and start to just shout over each other.
Somehow, she only needs one take to record it.

I want them to adapt the comedy spinoff where it's just the Kumo wills faffing about and as a result, it's just Aoi Yuki, Aoi Yuki, Aoi Yuki, and Aoi Yuki faffing about and being silly.

Lurking Haro
Oct 27, 2009

ThingOne posted:

I'm enjoying the classmate portions a lot more than I thought I would. The dumb Isakai High School drama provides a fun contrast to Kumako's daily struggle for survival.

Can't wait for delinquent Kumoko to kick open the door to the classroom with her poison lackeys in tow.

"I'm a reincarnated transfer student, so what's your problem?"

Dartonus
Apr 1, 2011

It only gets worse from here on in...

Nitrousoxide posted:

As a light novel reader who knows what all of this is I'm really enjoying the anime only folks attempting to suss out what's going on.

Credit to the show runners, they've been doing a great job keeping the all-important blend of foreshadowing and red herrings that made the novel so great to figure out.

Indiana_Krom
Jun 18, 2007
Net Slacker
I have no idea what is going on that you people are talking about, but the wait between episodes is killing me. FFFF

Tempted to pick up the manga.

Tamba
Apr 5, 2010

Indiana_Krom posted:

I have no idea what is going on that you people are talking about, but the wait between episodes is killing me. FFFF

Tempted to pick up the manga.

The anime will definitely overtake the manga this season, so that won't help you much. Pick up the novels instead/as well

Dartonus
Apr 1, 2011

It only gets worse from here on in...
On top of that, the manga cuts out the human side entirely, which means you miss out on a lot of world building and foreshadowing.

Super Jay Mann
Nov 6, 2008

What's better than one Aoi Yuuki? Two Aoi Yuukis! And possibly more! :allears:

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Super Jay Mann posted:

What's better than one Aoi Yuuki? Two Aoi Yuukis! And possibly more! :allears:

We're getting at least four.

Bell_
Sep 3, 2006

Tiny Baltimore
A billion light years away
A goon's posting the same thing
But he's already turned to dust
And the shitpost we read
Is a billion light-years old
A ghost just like the rest of us

Brutal Garcon posted:

Our protagonist has unlocked the most essential isekai power

I was about to ask what this was, but the link told me everything I needed to know.

Is "My Next Life as a Villainess" as fun as the mischief Kumo gets up to?

Omnicrom posted:

So the fact that as of this episode we now literally have multiple different Aoi Yuki spiders as seen in the opening and the ending means that I've started to pore over both the opening the ending a little bit more carefully. Especially because the shot of Prince douchebag smashing through a pane of glass is there. Doubly especially because they modified the opening slightly, Aoi Yuki spider is in her venom form rather than her base form in the opening spinning camera shot. From that I noted that the white spider monster the hero dude fought was actually in the opening for second, and more interestingly to me said spider is uncredited in the ending, it's nothing but ??? for the actor credits, and I have enough tokusatsu experience to know that means there's a swerve coming.

Also going to reiterate that I care way more about Kumoko than any of the other characters. It's not exactly their fault that Aoi Yuki shines them off the screen, but a big chunk of that is simply that there is so much less going on with them. Regarding this episode in particular, however, [spoiler]I don't necessarily mind a short digression to go "by the way there's a hero because Dragon Quest is still the baseline for fantasy and Japanese anime". And reiterating that Prince douchebag is a douchebag and revealing that why he's a douchebag is actually kind of interesting thematically. As Kirtar said, he's mistaken about what kind of Isekai LN he ended up in...

I kept second guessing myself watching the opening, but I suppose next week should be pretty obvious by comparison! I felt the same way about Kumoko even in the Light Novels, though maybe it's because goons introduced me to the manga in the first place

One last edit: vvvv yeah, I liked that twist too.

Bell_ fucked around with this message at 01:04 on Feb 13, 2021

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

It might be Aoi Yuuki breaking my brain, but the action in this episode is pretty cool. Like when Kumoko slammed the venom in the eel.

Also the more I watch the OP the more I feel like I can extrapolate about the show. like when the demon lord bites into the world and the blood that drips down turns into webbing and I just now realized that's Julius's scarf his isekai brother is holding near the end.

Finally I can't believe I'm saying this, but Natsume thinking this is supposed to be his power fantasy isekai is interesting and I'm kinda curious to see where that goes.

Doodles
Apr 14, 2001

Xelkelvos posted:

I want them to adapt the comedy spinoff where it's just the Kumo wills faffing about and as a result, it's just Aoi Yuki, Aoi Yuki, Aoi Yuki, and Aoi Yuki faffing about and being silly.

Funny you should mention that....

Rubellavator
Aug 16, 2007

As someone who primarily reads the WN (which is now receiving updates after 2 years of nothing) and follows the manga, I think they've done a great job with the series so far.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
I've been following the manga for a while now, I'm unsure of watching the anime since it seems to also follow a bunch of characters who aren't even in the manga yet/been excised apparently. What's the ratio to spider/regular isekai people stuff?

It feels like I've been poisoned by the manga and don't want to start over with a bunch of new story threads. reminds me of when I wanted to read the Slime LN after catching up to the manga and was told I should start over from the beginning because there's a bunch of stuff that isn't even in the manga version at all.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

That's what I was referring to, but wanting it in anime form.

Captain Invictus posted:

I've been following the manga for a while now, I'm unsure of watching the anime since it seems to also follow a bunch of characters who aren't even in the manga yet/been excised apparently. What's the ratio to spider/regular isekai people stuff?

It feels like I've been poisoned by the manga and don't want to start over with a bunch of new story threads. reminds me of when I wanted to read the Slime LN after catching up to the manga and was told I should start over from the beginning because there's a bunch of stuff that isn't even in the manga version at all.

it's maybe 70/30 Kumo/Humans.

Nemo2342
Nov 26, 2007

Have A Day

Nap Ghost

Nitrousoxide posted:

As a manga reader I am pretty much completely lost, and it's kind of hurting my head mixing all the familiar with the unfamiliar (even with the spoiler).

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

What is confusing? I can go over the stuff we’ve hit so far.

Nemo2342
Nov 26, 2007

Have A Day

Nap Ghost

Nitrousoxide posted:

What is confusing? I can go over the stuff we’ve hit so far.

It's more of a personal problem, really. I normally don't mind a story with multiple POVs, but this one is giving me a headache because I know one POV pretty well but the other POV is so tenuously connected (from my experience with the manga) that it feels like I'm watching two shows at once.

Indiana_Krom
Jun 18, 2007
Net Slacker
Anime only and I do feel like the classmates POV is not well connected to the spider POV. They do feel like two almost entirely separate stories except for basically one or two mentions. It could just be that the whole classmate POV feels extremely rushed/condensed and basically skipped setting up its entire cast. It just dumps you right in the middle of a bunch of the class who a number of them have become princes/nobles with no explanation for how they got there, how they found each other and what their goals are.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

Indiana_Krom posted:

Anime only and I do feel like the classmates POV is not well connected to the spider POV. They do feel like two almost entirely separate stories except for basically one or two mentions. It could just be that the whole classmate POV feels extremely rushed/condensed and basically skipped setting up its entire cast. It just dumps you right in the middle of a bunch of the class who a number of them have become princes/nobles with no explanation for how they got there, how they found each other and what their goals are.

I agree, and this is why I feel the manga's approach of skipping their story is better. It really is (mostly) irrelevant to her story until far later except for a few points.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Nemo2342 posted:

It's more of a personal problem, really. I normally don't mind a story with multiple POVs, but this one is giving me a headache because I know one POV pretty well but the other POV is so tenuously connected (from my experience with the manga) that it feels like I'm watching two shows at once.
yeah, reading a comic focused entirely around one character and then you try to jump into a retelling of the same story but suddenly there's a good chunk of story from the perspective of new character Snorpy Banorpy(and friends!) inserted amidst the story you already know. It can be disorienting and offputting.

Sounds like the anime is going at a breakneck pace, too. I do like that they changed the design of kumoko into something a bit more like the manga version and less like the weird moominspider from the reveal trailer though.

Brutal Garcon
Nov 2, 2014

Bell_ posted:

I was about to ask what this was, but the link told me everything I needed to know.

Is "My Next Life as a Villainess" as fun as the mischief Kumo gets up to?

Not remotely similar, but yes.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice
Most of my foundational fiction growing up were stories with a large ensemble cast with multiple different POVs that jump back and forth; sometimes they come together a bit like in A Song of Ice and Fire or sometimes they never do at all (Harry Turtledove), so from my perspective as a manga reader it was initially surprising but it never occurred to me that this is basically how the story went in the LN (jumping between the two). But I am otherwise fairly used to switching POVs.

My understanding based on the thread so far is that in the LN's, the classmate POV is what actually explains the mechanics of the world (Because they're in school and being taught this! Convenient!) and then switches to Kumoko's perspective who learns or experiences it and figures it out the hard way.

Being unnecessarily critical I'd say they aren't quite really making good use of the classmates POV, it feels as a manga reader kinda minimal. They currently exist to help move along some aspects of the grander plot, but are otherwise a completely parallel self contained story.

I think this makes a good argument that anime should consider experimenting more with longer episode runtimes, like 49 minutes or so.

I think it's been fine so far but I do have the nagging suspicion that the adaption could have been better, but I wouldn't go as far as to say they should've excised the classmates from this point of the story; although it would have maybe helped the atmosphere and make things appear more bleak and Dark Souls feeling like the manga conveys which got me so engaged with it.

Because the classmates' story, especially with Fei, is interesting to me, and I kinda want to see where it goes, but it's a lot of plates being juggled.

I almost feel that the best way would've been two parallel series. One that focuses on the classmates and one on Kumoko similar to the Railgun vs. Index divide.

Eeepies
May 29, 2013

Bocchi-chan's... dead.
We'll have to find a new guitarist.
I can keep up with both threads too for now, but although there are parallels to both story, it doesn't really interact in a way that's satisfying yet. I'm pretty sure some arcs down the line will require both sides to understand though.

The Taboo storyline was especially neat. Kumoko going "i guess i have it but i can't do anything about it" compared to Fei visually shivering in fear was a great touch.

Tamba
Apr 5, 2010

Raenir Salazar posted:

I think this makes a good argument that anime should consider experimenting more with longer episode runtimes, like 49 minutes or so.

This season of Re Zero has 29 minute episodes and usually skips the opening and/or the ending, which gives them even more time (episode 6 was the first one with an opening and there hasn't been an ending yet).
The next episode previews have been moved to Youtube as well.

Tamba fucked around with this message at 19:08 on Feb 13, 2021

SpartanIvy
May 18, 2007
Hair Elf
So I marathoned up the current episode of this yesterday, and I have a few theories as an anime only watcher.

It's weird that the human re-incarnated classmates are all in their teens and basically the same age, where as the Spider literally hatched out of an egg. That could mean that one day they just took over these random peoples consciousnesses, which is hosed up if true, or they started from birth, grew up, and we're only now catching up with them as they reunite at school. I suspect the latter is what's happening, and we're seeing the Spiders point of view from day 1 because she's the protagonist and we need to know how she got to where she is currently in the human-reincarnated scenes timeline.

Which brings me to my second thought which is that Spider is going to be so ludicrously leveled and god-like when she eventually meets up with her old classmates. In a matter of days(?) she's evolved 3 times and leveled several dozen I think. Meanwhile the human-reincarnates are amateur level after being alive for like 14 years or so. Fei is even worse off because if she's been around for that long as a monster as well and is only now evolving to a not-baby sized Dragon, she's irreparably behind on the curve of where a monster should be. I also wonder if the dragon egg that Spider had WAS the egg that Fei is/was born out of. There can't be that many dragon eggs taken, right?

If that's all true then it means the demon lord we saw at the end of the latest episode could be our Spider, but that seems pretty unlikely given her disposition, but who knows.

Needless to say I'm hooked.

Lurking Haro
Oct 27, 2009

Zealot girl got warped from growing up in the church, so that points them being born and not taking over some poor people.

Kumoko's adventures should have taken a few months, not days. As a spider, she has the advantage of being able to fight much earlier. Humans simply can't do much until their teens.
Elf-teacher seems to have been active for a while.

Lurking Haro fucked around with this message at 19:14 on Feb 13, 2021

SpartanIvy
May 18, 2007
Hair Elf

Lurking Haro posted:

Zealot girl got warped from growing up in the church, so that points them being born and not taking over some poor people.
Oh yeah, I couldn't tell if they meant that she grew up in a church in old world or new world. That makes more sense.

Elf teacher also confused me but even if elves live 1,000 years or whatever, they still have to be teenagers at some point. So I wasn't sure if she's an actual teenager or "I'm 300 years old but still look like I'm 14"

It will be hilarious if the whole reason the Church is on a crusade against those with the Taboo skill is because of something our Spider did with it.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
they trimmed out most of the travel and grinding. for example, kumoko had to hang around the entrance to the middle layer for a while until she acquired and leveled up her fire resistance and auto-regen skills. it's not just the webs, she's naturally weak to fire.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice

Lurking Haro posted:

Kumoko's adventures should have taken a few months, not days. As a spider, she has the advantage of being able to fight much earlier. Humans simply can't do much until their teens.
Elf-teacher seems to have been active for a while.

I got the impression from the first episode Elf-sensei has been actively spending her time looking for her former students. It's an open question to me how long she's been around looking whether it's been "a while now" or only relatively recently.

Some of them have known each other in the new world for longer than others before circumstances or their teacher found them and brought them back together, I think the entrance ceremony/party get together thing in the first episode was when most of them got to meet each other for the first time except for red head girl, dragon girl and dragoon boy who knew each other from the country they spawned together in.

This is an interesting setup, because it's veering towards a bit more of a "realistic" portrayal of what an Isekai would be like, if a bunch of people suddenly died and reincarnated semi-randomly in the new fantasy world. Some of them really got the short end of the stick (Church girl, Fei, and Kumo), while others like Dragoon boy are basically set for life from the get go. Elf teacher gets to have centuries to learn all the new things she could ever want, and teach students, what better fate for a teacher?

There's potential here for interesting themes, but at the moment I feel like the audience needs to do most of the work currently.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK
I think the main problem with the classmate's POV portion of the episodes is that it's all way too short and barely ties in with the main spider part. It's pretty clear that the two parts are about 15 years apart chronologically, which is fine, but the anime isn't really doing anything with that. The other kids are in a literal school where they could be learning the world building and studying lessons that cover parallel knowledge that our spider girl is getting pounded into her that episode. Instead all we've really learned from their appearances is that the rest of the class got reincarnated and that the Taboo skill will have side effects if it's revealed later. Those side effects being heavily mitigated by the fact that Kumoko's going to be a giant spider monster by the time she gets out of the dungeon anyway.

The rest of the class being in the episodes really seems to be a decision to try and weave their story into things so that X number of episodes/seasons later we don't have a whole arc where the main protagonist doesn't even show up while we find out what happened to the rest of the class. Which is weird, because if they're actually planning things out like that then the story of the rest of the class could be structured so much better.

The only interesting interplay between the two stories so far is the fake out that the Hero was fighting Kumoko. Also I guess the implication that the bully girl dragon hatched from the egg that the humans took from Kumoko. Maybe that she's going to end up linked to the Demon Lord, who I'm going to assume is another one of their classmates.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012
As far as I'm aware, the anime is following the LNs more or less faithfully so the disconnect is something in both. Idk when we get the reveal of the connection between the two plots but I assume it's forthcoming.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice
I dunno, I imagine in text there's more dialogue, world building and other things to set the pacing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arrgytehpirate
Oct 2, 2011

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

Anime only so here are my thoughts.

figured the spider fight was to show what Kumoko’s potential is. I don’t know what to make of the demon.

So far, I think the other class plot is dumb and would be great to teach us the world like others have said. But they haven’t. It’s wasted/mismanaged. I assume at some point Kumoko links up with/fights/murders/gets attempted murdered by them.

No idea what to make of the demon lord introduction.

Uh, I think the pacing is fine. It’s not God of High School at least. Her lines outright state she’s going to grind and I’m glad they cut it.

And Kumoko is best girl. Seriously has there ever been such a positive, upbeat, and go with the flow waifu? I can’t think of any!