Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bagmonkey
May 13, 2003

Grimey Drawer
Hi friends, I stopped watch AEW like a year ago for whatever reason and I want to get caught up because what I've been reading and seeing has interested me quite a bit. My Hulu Live has episodes dating back to 6/26, any other good source on getting caught up to there?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bagmonkey
May 13, 2003

Grimey Drawer
Just finished Dynamite and holy poo poo, that was a great episode

bagmonkey
May 13, 2003

Grimey Drawer

Gavok posted:

Eddie Kingston wrote this emotional story of his career and how close he came to retirement before he stumbled his way into an AEW contract. Absolutely pro-click.

I find it weird that he doesn't mention his time in NWA at all because that's when I found him and that's when I kinda started loving him. Dude is a lot of fun and always wrestles his heart out, glad to see him where he is in AEW now

bagmonkey
May 13, 2003

Grimey Drawer
Gonna go watch some best stunners compilation on Youtube now THANKS GUYS

bagmonkey
May 13, 2003

Grimey Drawer
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MzJbH8-xIHs

It's really fun remembering how much Stone Cold just loving wrecked everyone during the Attitude era

bagmonkey
May 13, 2003

Grimey Drawer

MakaVillian posted:

Man, Shane McMahon sold the stunner pretty good too

I think he's my favorite non-wrestler sell. He always put something into it and was willing to maybe tweak his back to make it look like Stone Cold straight murdered his rear end

bagmonkey
May 13, 2003

Grimey Drawer

jiggerypokery posted:

I'ma necro this thread in homage to The Undertaker

Good cuz AEW has had some good poo poo lately

bagmonkey
May 13, 2003

Grimey Drawer

Gavok posted:

So one pointless wrestling thing going on right now that I love is the Royal Rumblethon. newLEGACYinc is all about playing and simming wrestling games and every two years they used to do a charity stream that's nothing but simmed Royal Rumble matches. While they still do charity streams, they've made the Rumblethon its own thing.

The idea, for this year at least, is that every day of the month they post a simmed Royal Rumble from a different wrestling game with their own commentary. Everything from the WWE 2K games to WWF Royal Rumble for SNES to WCW Thunder for PS1. On the 31st day, they do THE ROYALEST RUMBLE, where all 30 winners are put in one Rumble match. They did something similar (and just as fun) last year with the Kingiest of the Ringiest.

So far 25 matches have happened. The entries in the Royalest Rumble as of now are:

Holy gently caress this rules dude! Thank you!!!

bagmonkey
May 13, 2003

Grimey Drawer
Has anyone enjoyed wrestling lately

I wish AEW would have less screwy matches

bagmonkey
May 13, 2003

Grimey Drawer

Rarity posted:

That Cody/Sammy ladder match slapped all kinds of poo poo

That match was really loving good, I enjoyed it. I really really enjoyed

The House of Black vs Death Triangle match was also loving good until THE GOD drat SCREWY FINISH!!!! I swear that AEW ramps that stuff up over time because I remember getting frustrated with this exact poo poo a year and a half ago. I really just want to watch people wrestle awesome matches!!!

bagmonkey
May 13, 2003

Grimey Drawer

Prof. Crocodile posted:

Well gently caress

I'll lay it out like this.... AEW doesn't take itself nearly as seriously as WWE does, so a lot of the talking spots are much more bearable. The commentary is loving amazing with JR and Tony and Excalibur and Taz and Jericho all enjoying the poo poo out of themselves on the mic. The big difference is AEW uses the wrestling to tell the story, instead of telling a story around wrestling. If you see a feud happen, there's gonna be a big headline match eventually! Someone is doing sketchy poo poo like cheating and whatnot? Gonna get their payback eventually!

My biggest gripe with AEW is that because they use the wrestling to tell the story, there's a bunch of screwy endings to otherwise A+ matches. Sometimes those screwy finishes pay off, sometimes they don't. Another thing is I wish they'd stop signing literally every single wrestler known to mankind because now some of my old school AEW favorites, like Sonny Kiss, are getting less national TV time while still playing a role in their YouTube stuff.

If you want to dip your toes into AEW, their YouTube channel has a ton of free programming in the form of their lesser known wrestlers as well as some of the big names doing house show matches. The programs are AEW Elevation, released on Mondays and featuring up and coming wrestler, and AEW Dark, featuring their mid card as well numerous big names and released on Tuesdays. However, The Real Good poo poo is AEW Dynamite on TBS. AEW Rampage on TNT is very good, but Dynamite always seems to have a better flow

edit you can also see Taz's son and WRESTLING PHENOM Hook!!

bagmonkey
May 13, 2003

Grimey Drawer

Rarity posted:

Saying Sonny Kiss is getting less TV time is wrong because it implies she was getting any to begin with :smith:

Sonny/Joey were on Dynamite semi-regularly at the beginning and I remember Sonny getting one really good match of Dynamite that total won me over. I'm really loving sad that Sonny isn't like, a part of the Best Friends stable or something. Perfect fit!

bagmonkey
May 13, 2003

Grimey Drawer

Burning Beard posted:

Oh, it's even better than that. Danhausen is more like Conan O'Brien as the devil and the dude is loving hilarious. He's also drat good in the ring. His gimmick is really hitting a sweet spot for me along with Britt Baker. AEW is killing it and I say this as a wrestling fan who gave up on WWE years ago.

I absolutely love the Best Friends stable, Orange Cassidy and Kris Statlander are absolutely awesome. I love gimmicks where they don't yap all day. On the flip side, I absolutely loving love Eddie Kingston and originally fell in love with him through NWA Powerrr. The other group I just cannot wait to see a 3v3 tag match with is Death Triangle aka PAC, Penta El Zero M and Rey Fenix. Those three are some of the best wrestlers I have ever watched and took part in some of my favorite AEW matches of all time

bagmonkey
May 13, 2003

Grimey Drawer

Prof. Crocodile posted:

Ok I’m hearing some good things about AEW, but what about the broad racial caricatures, incestuous relationships, glistening bodybuilders, and elder abuse that I Vince McMahon the wrestling public crave???

It's absolutely no where near the levels of the Attitude era, but there's still a lot of skin, glistening bodybuilders (and giant hairy madmen too mind you) and elder abuse (I cannot wait for Dan Lampert to get hosed up more, I love him so much for hating him so much). Luckily they don't really seem to be doing the relationship bullshit that WWE always did, the only one I enjoyed was Lana/Miro/Lashley just because it gave birth to my favorite worst WWE promo ever, the Lana/Lashley Wedding

bagmonkey
May 13, 2003

Grimey Drawer
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vkdBOgXISWQ

This just absolute loving complete dumpster fire of a spot, what the gently caress even is this lmao

Hahahaha I forgot about the crowd chanting Jerry Jerry Jerry

bagmonkey
May 13, 2003

Grimey Drawer
I was debating making a new GBS wrestling because I want to blab about AEW somewhere so thanks for the bump

Who's still watchin AEW

bagmonkey
May 13, 2003

Grimey Drawer
Give Sonny Kiss at least one match per week on prime time imo

bagmonkey
May 13, 2003

Grimey Drawer
Its The Wrestling Day my Friends, Are You Ready For The Main Event

bagmonkey
May 13, 2003

Grimey Drawer
Jay Lethal has had some AWESOME matches lately, love what he's been doing

bagmonkey
May 13, 2003

Grimey Drawer

Trollologist posted:

Is it better or worse than this:

I'm sorry but can you ever top the Ric Flair promo

bagmonkey
May 13, 2003

Grimey Drawer

Trollologist posted:

Honestly, It may be the single greatest thing in wrestling history.

I think I found out about it because of this thread and I've watched it like 2-3 times since Jay Lethal joined AEW

bagmonkey
May 13, 2003

Grimey Drawer

Trollologist posted:

Honestly, It may be the single greatest thing in wrestling history.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FKuquMfcoOc

bagmonkey
May 13, 2003

Grimey Drawer

Rarity posted:

Jay Lethal blackballed women from the industry cause they wouldn't sleep with him so he can gently caress right off imo

Well gently caress that, do you have a link to the story about that? That's a real quick way for me to sour on a wrestler, or anyone for that matter

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bagmonkey
May 13, 2003

Grimey Drawer

Ugh, thank you. No longer a Jay Lethal fan, appreciate the heads up!