Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gato
Feb 1, 2012

The Klowner posted:

Can someone explain in detail the issue with how the geth and/or quarians are portrayed? I remember feeling it was pretty consistent across all the games but I haven't played them in years

DoubleNegative posted:

In 1, the Geth are unknown and violent. In 2, you find out that there are two factions: the bad Geth and the neutral Geth. In 3, the Geth are all blameless children who never did anything wrong in their life. Every thing they do is only ever in reaction to something else. They took hardware upgrades from the Reapers because the Quarians started a war. Every time they're portrayed by the story, they're always blameless innocents. Literally at one point, despite being artificial intelligences capable of accessing the sum total of knowledge, one Geth in a flashback doesn't understand "why his creator stopped moving."

The Quarians in 2 are assholes, but you can understand why they're doing what they do. In 3 they're ambitious war hawks who attack and blow up a ship that one of their leaders and Shepard are currently on board. You tell them to flee and get their civilians to safety, and they refuse to do it and instead start sacrificing ships in a fight. They exist just to give the story artificially heightened stakes because every interaction you have with them will have them doing something needlessly and pointlessly stupid, often to the point of being self-sabotaging.

To add to this, the nature of the Geth themselves changes, which is the part I find most disappointing. In ME1, they're self-aware robots who hate organics because said organics tried to wipe them out when they started asking how to become real boys if they had souls. I think they're referred to as having a hive mind but it isn't really explored. They worship the Reapers because the Reapers are bigger, badder robots who also hate organics.

In ME2, the Geth are sentient computer programs, some of which live in the flashlight-headed robot platforms we know and love, but most of which live in giant servers. They acquire unique experiences and perspectives while running around in robot bodies which get shared with everyone else when they go back to the collective. As a result, they don't really have a concept of individuality and iirc Legion says that the "does this unit have a soul" stuff was essentially the teething troubles of a newborn race, and they're pretty cool with what they are now. Most of the Geth want to chill out and build a Dyson sphere around Rannoch, but a minority worship the Reapers because of a difference in their source code.

In ME3 the Geth are sentient robots who want to be real boys want to be like organics, and ally with the Reapers (regardless of what you do in ME2) because the Reapers will make them into "true AI" or something, and so that we have a plot device (REAPER UPGRADES) that lets you turn the tide of battle at the push of a button. What do the Reapers get out of this? :bioware:

e;f,b, Oxxidation said it better, also didn't there used to be a "lots of speculation" smiley

Gato fucked around with this message at 20:47 on Feb 8, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gato
Feb 1, 2012

DourCricket posted:

Legion actually talks about this in Mass Effect 2 - The heretic Geth want to accept the Reaper's upgrades (they're non-specific as to what those upgrades are however) while the main Geth want to advance along their own lines and choose their own fate. The Quarians getting some new type of weapon that attacks the Geth (again, mentioned in 2) is what causes the main Geth to change their minds and more or less join the reapers in 3.

The reapers obviously get an army of even more obedient slaves out of it. It's like asking why they make husks, they need foot soldiers so they are not vulnerable.

But if they can rewrite the Geth at will to the extent of making them fully sentient beings, why do they need the Geth's consent to enslave them? Why are they waiting for the robots to think really hard about whether they want to be real boys? The Reapers apparently have a button they can push to effortlessly destroy the biggest organic fleet in the Galaxy but they're just going to wait until the enemy is literally inside their base before doing anything about it? The whole thing makes no sense, because the Reapers don't need to be in the Rannoch plotline at all except that it's Act 2 and we need to remind people they're around.

You're right that the stuff in ME2 does vaguely allow for what happens in ME3, but like Oxxidation said it's such a waste of a really interesting concept for an alien lifeform, and you could have taken it in so many other directions.

e: also the thing about the Quarians having new weapons made me remember how they handwaved away all the outcomes from the trial, one of ME2's best quests

Gato fucked around with this message at 21:41 on Feb 8, 2021

Gato
Feb 1, 2012

Feats of Strength posted:

Am I the only one who takes issue with the stupidity of Kasumi's side-quest in Mass Effect 2?

At this point in the story Shepherd has defeated Saren, Sovereign, saved the Citadel, vanquished the Heretical Geth etc. Shepherd has been the posterboy for the Alliance, has exposure in the news, on the extranet, he endorses every drat store on the Citadel and even has a VI of himself!

How can Kasumi possibly think that Hock would even for a second think that he was speaking to "Mr/Ms Gunn" even if it is widely believed that Shepherd is dead? doesn't Mr Hock have an extensive information network? surely it would be less moronic to use Shepherd's celebrity to her advantage rather than spending months manufacturing fake news in the hope that this improbable Shepherd doppelganger should gain a reputation, which 100% relies on Hock not having any secondary sources and being completely oblivious to Commander Shepherd's existence.

And to make it even worse Kasumi gives Hock a statue of Saren as a gift! what the actual gently caress? literally any subterfuge went out of the window when the shuttle door opened, there's no way in hell the second Hock comes out to greet them he didn't instantly recognise the two of them.

iirc when you're in the vault Hock says he guessed it was Kasumi when he first saw her, he just figured she'd find her way in no matter what so it'd be easier to wait and trap her. (Thinking about this made me realize how much of the game's dialogue is burned into my brain 10 years later). Agreed that the Gunn thing as presented is dumb, I choose to believe Hock isn't fooled for a second and is just stringing Shep along.

Gato
Feb 1, 2012

Sydin posted:

They kinda tried to do a thing in ME2 where oh hey it turns out the career military guy you appointed because he was nicer to you than the guy who actually knows how council politics work ends up marginalized by the rest of the council and has turned to heavy drinking because he hates his new gig. It doesn't by itself justify giving Udina the gig instead but it does add a nice layer of nuance to the whole situation.

That said it sucked Udina just turned out to be a one dimensional villain in ME3 because ME1 did a lot more to paint him as just a career diplomat with lofty personal career ambitions who can thus only see Eden Prime as a colossal fuckup by some Alliance meatheads, and his frustrations with Anderson and Shepard make a lot of sense in that context. He could have been an interesting overarching foil to Shepard and the Alliance who always reframes all the crazy action hear poo poo Shepard does in the context of how it helps or hurts humanity's political standing.

yeah I really liked Udina as a character, they did a good job writing him so that you're never completely sure where his genuine belief in humanity ends and his personal ambitions begin. he fights hard for you in ME1 before you become an obvious political liability. I liked how when you're reintroduced to him in ME3 the first thing you see is him trying to get troops to Earth and there's no real tension between him and Shep because they're both doing their best for humanity in their own way. So of course he turns out to be an idiot villain for the game's dumbest subplot because "heh, politicians amirite?"