Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

So far this poo poo looks good and I aim to pre-order the deluxe edition of this on Origin as soon as it's available!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

Milkfred E. Moore posted:

Honest to God, I saw someone discussing that Shamus retrospective today. I kept thinking about cheap narrative devices and how element zero is hard sci-fi for thematically-rich blue space babes and whatever. Real greatest hits moment.

Shamus makes a lot of good points but the dude is just a fun-vortex that sucks all the fun out of the room and the games he "reviews".

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

neonchameleon posted:

I believe Mark Meer was given far more direction than Jennifer Hale at first - and was told to play Shep as a blank stoic badass (my description). Meanwhile Hale was more or less left on her own - the female option they didn't expect many people to use but was at least cheap advertising so why bother worrying what she does? So she was able to give her interpretation of Shep a personality and a smirk in her voice some of the time, raw intensity at other points. And as the series went on Meer was told more and more to model his performance on Hale's.

This makes sense. By the time of ME2’s DLC, Meer’s Shepard seemed to be just as good as Hale’s and by ME3 I couldn’t tell you which one I liked more. They were both knocking it out of the park. In ME1, Meer sounded like he was the blank slate in my own brain asking questions. “What’s wrong with the L2 implants?” “What kind of complications?” “Is that a threat?” All spoken with the same verve as saying “Have you seen where we keep the scissors?”

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

The first time I ever heard Hale’s voice was when she played a major role in Ground Control. When I played Kotor she was immediately recognizable to me and then has always been on my radar. I didn’t even know she wasn’t English until ME.

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

Meer reminds me a bit of the progression Doug Cockle made from Witcher 1->3. In the first games both VAs sounded almost confused most of the time but by the third game both actors disappear completely into the role and it’s just Shepard and Geralt. Like as if they were always a real person.

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

Whorelord posted:

Nah, Hale's English-accent voices are very obviously a non-English person doing an English accent to me at least. She (along with many, many others) sound like someone doing an impression of a posh English person, rather than an actual posh English person.

Yea, I'm not English so I can't tell the difference unless the person affecting the accent is just super terrible about it. Plus, she had the exact same accent in two games when neither character was or needed to sound English so I assumed it was her natural voice.

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

1stGear posted:

Bioware (and a lot of other video games writers to be fair) are completely incapable of writing a main plot that doesn't involve a Big Bad. Its one of the many reasons I'm hesitant to be hyped about a new Mass Effect game. It ought to be a story about rebuilding galactic society in the drat-near-post-apocalypse. Something more along the lines of Fallout: New Vegas where you have these different competing ideologies and belief systems fighting to create a world in their image. The races and their interactions were the most interesting parts of Mass Effect.

Instead, I just know that Bioware is going to have SPACE HITLER trying to STEAL/CREATE A POWERFUL SUPER WEAPON and only a PLUCKY HERO and their BAND OF FRIENDS can stop them.

Despite all its flaws, Dragon Age 2 does a very good job of this. You're main antagonist in that game is lovely situations and being in the wrong place at the wrong time. Also the Arishok is awesome.

Edit: Sorry for double post!

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

The Sudoku could be over-ridden with those key things you can buy at most vendors, including the one on your ship. I think I only did the actual puzzle a small handful of times and every other time just used my cool key.

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

Games: Mass Effect-Enemies Everywhere in HD!

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

Ulio posted:

I really do enjoy the combat in ME games and I have heard people say the core gameplay/combat of Andomeda is good. I definitely want to try it out. I got it on Steam a while back when EA started putting back their catalogue. Maybe I'll try it before the trilogy collection comes out. I had tried it on Origin's gamepass thingy a while back just to see the online it was fine but I just fell off it incredibly quickly.

I put 80 hours or so into Andromeda over the summer and it was....fine. It’s not a super memorable game but it’s got some fun combat and a good bit of interesting/fun/neat content. It’s also got a lot of filler, but you can ignore what you don’t like.

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

nine-gear crow posted:

People have noticed that Pinnacle Station was absent from the DLC bundle list for Legendary Edition and that’s because the source code for it is corrupt.

BioWare farmed it out to Demirgue Studios back in the day, so when they asked for the code from them for the remaster, they found it was completely unreadable. And according to Mac Walters, he of the “pick your favourite colour” ending, it would take them another six months just to rebuild the DLC from scratch. Which doesn’t exactly sound right, but whatever, BioWare is lazy as poo poo and has a long track record of being lazy as poo poo.

I don’t think many people actually liked Pinnacle Station anyway, so it’s probably not a big loss. I just liked the apartment you could win for Shepard at the end of it, even if getting there was a miserable slog.

I found pinnacle station to be nigh impossible without dropping the difficulty super low, but I also liked the apartment, and that you could order top level spectre gear, so sad to do it’s gone. Ah well.

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

Since were sharing Mass Effect vids, anyone remember this classic?

https://youtu.be/WvbmKWMhjb0

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

One of my fave missions in ME2 was the heist with Kasumi. I loved getting to explore some posh mansion in the far future and checking out his statue collection and otherwise mingling. Shadow Broker was also great, with one amazing set piece after another.

Edit: speaking of times I’ve played the games:
ME1: 19
ME2: 13
ME3: 8

I always did full trilogy playthroughs only, never a game standalone.

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

I think I always had a soft spot for Jacob because he was so normal and “boring.” Kaiden was Carth 2.0 and his voice isn’t my favorite. Vega is absolutely the poo poo though and my favorite human party member behind Zaeed.

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

Feels Villeneuve posted:

jacob shouldn't have had a loyalty mission because his gimmick should have been that he's the only guy on your squad with his poo poo together

It’s gotta be stressful being the son of the first man to ever have to go back to using ammo clips.

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

I know I’m alone but, I never had an issue with ME3’s ending. Also, Kai Leng is fine. He fits right into the same goofy super hero poo poo Shepard and crew have been doing since ME1. It’s also satisfying when old dying Thane beats his rear end.

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

nine-gear crow posted:

Also Shep shattering his dumb Hiro Protagonist sword and stabbing him with an omniblade is fantastic.

"This is for Thane, you son of a bitch!" :hellyeah:

Yea, that really is a “hell yeah!” moment and I love it! Kai Leng is the perfect rear end in a top hat foil because he’s so drat satisfying to murder.

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

Here’s a cool idea I just had laying in bed: replace Kai Leng with a husked/resurrected Virmire casualty. It would have a lot of reason to hate you once indoctrinated and could make for some cool and emotional moments. Hire me BioWare.

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

I think the Shepard clone is far dumber/sillier than Kai Leng by a long shot. I’m glad it’s kinda played for laughs in a DLC instead of played seriously like Kai Leng.

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

I always just assumed a man jumping on the hood of a space car with his own Mass Effect shield could easily disrupt the vehicle and any attempt to “shake him off” could result in the vehicle crashing. There’s lots of excuses you can use in a sci-fi fantasy about why Kai Leng works, at least just as many as why he doesn’t work. It’s big dumb goofy space fantasy poo poo and Kai Leng works just fine in that regard. I often feel like folks think Mass Effect is a much harder edged sci-if than it really is. Granted, the first game does lean a bit more in that direction.

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

marshmallow creep posted:

Saw that Mass Effect Andromeda was on Game Pass. Downloaded it for Xbox One. The shooting controls can't really be this poo poo, can they?

Aiming is a god drat nightmare. Getting into cover and trying to shoot out, the cover itself blocks my own shots half the time, and the feedback so you know what's going on around you is terrible. Even with aim assist turned on, it's infuriating actually trying to hit anything with the starter guns.

I remember I tried it on the PC during their demo period before it launched and I was underwhelmed, but this is my first time trying it on console and it's absolutely dreadful.

Weird, I played it last year on PC with a controller and of all the complaints I’d give the game, controls/combat wasn’t one of them. It’s a bit “looser” in that you don’t glue yourself to cover like the other games. But if you’re behind cover and aim down sights, you’ll peek right out of cover. You can hit the stick (left, I think) to switch which “side” Ryder shoots out of, and with the jet pack you have a lot of mobility that wasn’t there before. It doesn’t feel quite like the other games, but I think it feels good once you get used to it. It’s a much more mobile version of Mass Effect combat.

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

TheCenturion posted:

You know, I've played through the series multiple times, on multiple platforms, and I've never done a renegade playthrough.

I tried one, once. I got as far as lying to some Krogan tourists about fish on the Citadel, felt like a monster, and went right back to being Commander Shepard, Intergalactic Hall Monitor.

Generally speaking, there’s enough Renegade points to grab that you don’t have to always be an rear end in a top hat or do silly poo poo like murder Wrex. You can play a more pragmatic Shepard rather than a psychopath.

Personally, I find ME more fun to just take each decision as it comes and ignore the Paragon/Renegade meters. Maybe you can’t get the optimal solution to every problem, but I find that more interesting from a role-playing standpoint.

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

Scandalous posted:

I played the whole trilogy as a Boy Scout paragon and I loved it all and when I achieved the synthesis ending I felt vindicated because sacrificing himself to end all conflict seemed completely in character and was a fitting send off

I’m aware that this makes me The Worst

Edit: I also thought Vega was a boring lunkhead, hated the Miranda buttshots and I never pushed the guy out of the window, come at me

This was exactly how my first trilogy playthrough went and I loved it. I still do actually. It’s hammy goofy poo poo that doesn’t stand up under scrutiny, but I think you can say that about most fiction. I liked the music at the end, I loved the visuals, the push through London. I loved the talks with Anderson and just the absolute desperation of it all.

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

Did the reapers really explain anything though? The star child ai explains poo poo because it’s unprecedented that anyone of any species has gotten this far. But up until that point, the very end, the reapers only taunt you and murder poo poo. Everything you find out about them is through your own exploration.

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

Ethiser posted:

I have to assume the remaster is coming out because if BioWare doesn’t actually make some sort of money EA is going to can everyone in charge.

BioWare is still making bank with SWTOR, so I dunno. I think if their next game isn’t a hit, they’re done as a name. But I think the remaster is just bonus cash because folks have been asking for it since PS4 and XBox One was released.

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

pentyne posted:

Making the "ending" be a single series of choices was always a mistake. They got it right with Dragon Age and managed to realize how to make Inquisition 10x more accessible by building DA Keep and having the endings occur as mostly the outcome of the various choices rather then the R/G/B.

I do find it ironic that DA has better choice/consequence import when ME is the series that touted that feature from the beginning as being a major thing.

Remember how cool it was gonna be when our Rachni army was gonna crush some reapers? Yea...me too.

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

Blastedhellscape posted:

Looking back, Dragon Age: Inquisition had an absolutely terrible ending, though I don't remember there being much outrage over it. The game felt like it was just sort of meandering along, then abruptly it told you that the bad guy was about to win, threw you into a set-piece boss fight where you beat him, and then ended with a little ambiguous epilogue/sequel-hook moment.

Apparently DA:I also did that thing where the *real* ending that explained everything happened in a DLC that I never bought. Which Dragon Age 2 also did, come to think of it. I feel like Dragon Age is a much more worthless series than Mass Effect at this point.

I though DA:Is ending was perfectly fine and wrapped up the story the game was about, with Tresspasser being an even better epilogue. I’m not aware of any controversy over Inquistion’s ending.

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

I did a trilogy playthrough where I romanced Ashley but left her with the bomb. I loved her, but needed the best person for the job to see the bomb went off. That way I could romance Tali free of guilt.

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

Dapper_Swindler posted:

yeah. i might do that in the legendary edition. i like liara but the whole "she will outlive you by like 1000 years" sucks. prefer tali because i get my loving malibu stacy dream house with her.

Yeah yeah, but more importantly, them hips don’t lie. :pervert:

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

Dapper_Swindler posted:

yeah. thats my issue with her. there is some genuinely interesting ideas and layers there. her being a self hating elf mixed possibly with her being a self hating mage i do like that she claims to be the big rebel/revolutionary but she is too caught up in her own dumb bullshit to actually do anything useful.

I liked Sera. She’s doing her damndest to convince everyone she hates elves and “the man”, and it’s primarily just so she can get validation and believe those things herself. With exception to the goofy randomness, I’ve known people very similar to her.

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

Dapper_Swindler posted:

oh me too. its why i hate her. she isnt the worst character ever but she is too real to be likable for me.

I think that’s the mark of a good character. If you hate a character because of who she is and not how she’s written or whatever, then I think it works. And the game knows she’s polarizing which is why you can jettison her from the team whenever you want.

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

Dapper_Swindler posted:

what is his character anyway. he got hosed up from biotic school?

Basically yes. He lived the “full metal
Jacket” life until he killed his instructor with a boot to the chin. And he’s been a mopey L2 ever since.

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

All of them in regular rotation.

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

I liked the Kett. They weren’t utilized very well but there’s promise there. Especially after finding out the Archon is a renegade.

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

SirPhoebos posted:

I think I'm the only person that liked the Mako sections in ME1.

I loved and still love the Mako, and never had issues driving it in the game. Mako-4-lyfe.

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

nine-gear crow posted:

I just wish that it turned out that Exaltation was something that could be done to any species, not just the Angaara. It would have really sold the threat better that the Kett were a menace to ALL life in Andromeda now, not just your new newt friends because they could just assimilate you and make you one of them and emphasizing the fact that there's a limited number of people you can call friends, a vast number of enemies out there, and they can make more of themselves infinitely faster than you can.

They kinda teased something like that with the hosed up Krogan on the Archon's ship at the mid-point of the game, but it never went anywhere, like a lot of Andromeda's better ideas.

My understanding was that exaltation could absolutely happen to any species, which is why they were experimenting on the arks.

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

Gorn Myson posted:

My favourite thing about sci-fi as a whole is when it gives you the same feeling you get when you stare up at stars. That moment of calm and awe has been captured a lot in media but rarely in games and for reasons I can't explain the Mako sections of ME1 nailed that perfectly for me.

I dunno, I've been up too long, I'm a pretty lovely poster and its been a decade since I last played it but no other game has given me that vibe at that level since. No Man Sky should be perfect for it, but once you've played that for a bit you can already feel what the algorithms that do its proc-gen are doing and it becomes predictable so its not the same. Its not even like the Mako sections were even fun. There was a ton of tedium and poor writing in there because it was meant to be filler.

Yet here I am thinking "I can't wait to get a quiet moment on the Moon and shoot at Earth with my lovely gun again".

Yes yes yes! I’ve said it before, but my favorite thing about ME1 was the skyboxes in the uncharted worlds. As simple as the worlds were geographically, those skyboxes made me feel isolated, alone, and a million million miles from anything and any one. With the possible exception of Elite Dangerous, NO game has captured that feeling for me since. Not the other MEs, no other sci-fi game. Not even No Man’s Sky, which I was originally looking forward to for that very reason.

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

DoubleNegative posted:

The sky boxes where a huge section of the view was dominated by a way-too-close star were my favorite ones. Just looking up and seeing an endless, roiling sea of blue or red plasma was cool as hell.

Agreed, those were also my faves. Also the one with huge planets filling the sky.

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

exquisite tea posted:

And get this, you can put a contained more interesting world beneath that skybox instead of filling it with featureless hills. It's a win-win.

Sure, yea. But you can play the "but it could be better!" card with literally any game. Or product. It doesn't change my experience with it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

Strategic Tea posted:

Here's another Andromeda head scratcher.

So SAM is supposed to be a game changing illegal AI, fully sapient but symbiotic with its human host, a genuine friend, and maybe an answer to the first game's question of whether intelligent AI can ever cooperate sustainably with meatbags.

So why did the voice director gave him act flat, monotone and servile for the entire game? Beep boop Ryder, minerals located. Bloop borp, you died but I reactivated your heart.

Because SAM was designed under the guise of a VI and for a while pretended to be one. His voice makes sense from that point of view.