Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

the olympus changes seem pretty small compared to other seasons but i suppose the mappers have been occupied with the two new arena maps

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

I wish they'd at least break up the Hammond Labs basin and the Grow Towers fields a little bit. That sector of the map naturally draws the entire lobby towards it and there's barely any cover.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.
Yeah the Hammond Labs area needs work. It's a pubbie trap where decent games go to die.

SteelMentor
Oct 15, 2012

TOXIC
After a particularly awful hotdrop onto Waterfall today I was praying that area at least would get blocked off by a vine or something. Would spare my poor framerate as well.

Also Estates sucks etc etc etc, I hope we at least get a Takeover for Olympus soon.

Daztek
Jun 2, 2006

https://twitter.com/pinedsman/status/1387116319137427458

Gunder
May 22, 2003

I take it that it's too late to start this now? I don't have the little scanner thing on the main menu that the various guides mention.

Tibalt
May 14, 2017

What, drawn, and talk of peace! I hate the word, As I hate hell, all Montagues, and thee

Gunder posted:

I take it that it's too late to start this now? I don't have the little scanner thing on the main menu that the various guides mention.
Did you pick up the little data cards that drop on the ground when you open a care package?

It doesn't take too long, the holosprays aren't too hard to get to if you look them up on the map, but you'll need to do it on both KC and Olympus l.

Gunder
May 22, 2003

Tibalt posted:

Did you pick up the little data cards that drop on the ground when you open a care package?

It doesn't take too long, the holosprays aren't too hard to get to if you look them up on the map, but you'll need to do it on both KC and Olympus l.

You can't start doing that until you click on a little scanner thingy on the main menu background. That's no longer there. They probably removed it with the limited event that just ended.

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011
You can get it done in no time at all, just play until you get a care package with your team and then if you really want to try-hard just play no-fill and look up a map and go to 3 of the locations solo per map.

Gunder
May 22, 2003

The guides were wrong. You can get the scanner from any care package without clicking the thing on the menu.

runchild
May 26, 2010

420 smoke 🎨artisanal🍑 melange erryday

Gunder posted:

The guides were wrong. You can get the scanner from any care package without clicking the thing on the menu.

Either you misread a guide or the guide you were looking at it had it completely backwards. You had to get the keycard from a care package first, THEN it showed up on the lobby screen.

Gunder
May 22, 2003

Yeah, the two I looked at both said you clicked the thing first. Just got a solo win while getting the KC ones.

Overminty
Mar 16, 2010

You may wonder what I am doing while reading your posts..

Season 8 be like

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

it's happening

https://twitter.com/PVPX_/status/1387159190100234242

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

The only thing I'm worried about here is white armor swapping, which has saved my rear end a few dozen times. Other than that, aces.

Daztek
Jun 2, 2006

Also give me a Mozambique, cowards

Plank Walker
Aug 11, 2005

This makes extra sense if they're giving the mozambique/p2020 permanent hammerpoint rounds

MarshyMcFly
Aug 16, 2012

I feel like they’re taking away more and more of the battle royale elements of the game.

Sultan Tarquin
Jul 29, 2007

and what kind of world would it be? HUH?!
II know my favourite part of the game was dropping at the start of a match and getting 3 white helmets in a building.

KRILLIN IN THE NAME
Mar 25, 2006

:ssj:goku i won't do what u tell me:ssj:

Sultan Tarquin posted:

II know my favourite part of the game was dropping at the start of a match and getting 3 white helmets in a building.

keep the loot pool the same and spawning without armour, but make it so you can use helmets or shield cells as melee weapons if you otherwise don't have a weapon equipped. you should be allowed to smack someone around with a medkit

Schneider Inside Her
Aug 6, 2009

Please bitches. If nothing else I am a gentleman
Seems like a good change, though probably the most fun I have in this game is when I get a Mozambique and Hammerpoints immediately on a hot drop.

Schneider Inside Her
Aug 6, 2009

Please bitches. If nothing else I am a gentleman
I wonder if the integral Hammerpoints change will work like the Anvil Reciever, costing two bullets per shot. Would explain why the Mozam apparently has six shots now

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

MarshyMcFly posted:

I feel like they’re taking away more and more of the battle royale elements of the game.

Things that we're taking for granted today about the genre will change in the future. For example, if you can carry 5+ guns around that's considered "boomer shooter" poo poo by the kids nowadays. (Of course if you're an old like me, you remember shaking your fist at Halo's "2 guns only" nonsense) Just gotta roll with it I guess.

J
Jun 10, 2001

My favorite change of the entire drat patch, thank god.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?
I'm fine with this change because i'm absolutely tired of killing the first squad and knowing i'm hosed because i've still got no armour to swap to/meds to use without ratting for a bit.

And I hate ratting.

Mercury_Storm
Jun 12, 2003

*chomp chomp chomp*
Seriously there was nothing satisfying or compelling about picking up white junk and being like "oh good, now I have the absolute bare minimum", and especially opening crates inundated with the stuff. Though this might change the balance a bit since everyone will have a helmet no matter what now.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

season 9 looking rough

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2xrtrV5t0YU

Songbearer
Jul 12, 2007

Fuck you say?

how come those pubbies move better than my teammate

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
That's mesmerizing to watch. Looks goddamned miserable. All the buttons you have to press would cause your fingers to block your vision all the time.

Wouldn't people just figure out how to hook their phone control scheme up to a computer and get one hell of an advantage? I know it wouldn't play like PC apex or anything, but controlling all those buttons from a keyboard would change everything.

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Zesty posted:

Wouldn't people just figure out how to hook their phone control scheme up to a computer and get one hell of an advantage?

Why would you even bother

It'd be even less satisfying than playing against AI bots

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

SKULL.GIF posted:

It'd be even less satisfying than playing against AI bots

if it's anything like the other big mobile shooters you would be playing against AI bots, COD and PUBG mobile stack their lobbies with bots masquerading as real players

runchild
May 26, 2010

420 smoke 🎨artisanal🍑 melange erryday

Deets on Ranked mode in S9. Not really changing anything, but Diamond Dive Trails are a thing again starting with S8 rewards.

Daztek
Jun 2, 2006

https://twitter.com/RKRigney/status/1387454246195539970

https://www.ea.com/games/apex-legends/news/servers-netcode-developer-deep-dive

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Unless I've misunderstood something in the article they don't address the occasional matches where it looks like the game is running with tons of skipped frames even though your FPS counter is showing 100+.

J
Jun 10, 2001

runchild posted:

Deets on Ranked mode in S9. Not really changing anything, but Diamond Dive Trails are a thing again starting with S8 rewards.

Some days almost 50% of the matches played were ranked? I find that interesting. Can't help but wonder how many of those matches were people just trying to escape some of the garbage takeover modes in unranked.

Gunder
May 22, 2003

I find the matchmaking tends to be much sharper in terms of skill level in ranked.

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011

J posted:

Some days almost 50% of the matches played were ranked? I find that interesting. Can't help but wonder how many of those matches were people just trying to escape some of the garbage takeover modes in unranked.

I had a sharp spike in ranked play this season for two reasons.

One because WHOOSH the takeovers WHOOSH were WHOOSH WHOOSH usually unfun or WHOOSH buggy.
Two because it was a little disappointing to have maybe one early game fight and then have 3 squads left as ring 1 is closing in a silent match because every other squad in existence mashed the drop button straight down or half the teams just had players who instantly disconnected from the 1vs3 they ran into to preserve their precious KDA.

Cretin90
Apr 10, 2006

This looks absolutely godawful to play on, but maybe it’s easier than it looks. There are just so many buttons. Looks like I gotta play mobile to get some time on Worlds Edge though. (Joking, but come back to me.)

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist

Cretin90 posted:

This looks absolutely godawful to play on, but maybe it’s easier than it looks.

Poster of that video seems to think it's going to be great. REALLY doubt it.

:nallears:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

the wild thing about apex mobile is it's not a port, they rebuilt the whole game from scratch on unreal engine 4

that's quite an investment