Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Yellow Yoshi
Apr 29, 2020

Figure 1: Mario's weird dog

Zokari posted:

Does this game do any sort of matchmaking at all? I just installed it and tried an arena match, the first game was me and two other people with 0 kills versus a team of people who clearly queued together and all had thousands of kills. It was almost comical.

Arena doesnt have matchmaking yet, it's just been added as a mode a week ago
BR has had hidden SBMM since day 1 and ranked (as poopy as the system is) has been around for several seasons worth

:synpa:
^sentinel'd

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Grumbles
Jun 5, 2006

dogstile posted:

Probably because high ground is really good.

I mean yes, there are obvious reasons why people make a beeline to the terrible zipline chokepoint (altho as another poster pointed out, when both teams rush that area each time it pretty much nullifies is). That doesn't make the map good, fun or interesting though, which is my point. I think I'm just not going to queue pub matches when it's Artillery's turn. People even rush it when the circle's barely touching it, or not even on it. It's ridiculous. There's a whole map out there.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?

Yellow Yoshi posted:

Arena doesnt have matchmaking yet, it's just been added as a mode a week ago
BR has had hidden SBMM since day 1 and ranked (as poopy as the system is) has been around for several seasons worth

:synpa:
^sentinel'd

They actually mentioned that it has "light sbmm".

Hackan Slash posted:

In artillery there's not much of a reason to go high ground except on the one circle that pulls that way.

The bunkers are much better for the other zones, you just have to be willing to avoid the teams that take high ground until they get pushed by zone. I realize that's a big ask.

Yeah, its a circle thing but people just can't stop peeking snipers from low ground. Every time I solo play arena I always watch my dumbass pubs get destroyed because they're impatient before kindly explaining to them that they're not going to win a EVA-8 fight against a sniper user on high ground.

The Grumbles posted:

I mean yes, there are obvious reasons why people make a beeline to the terrible zipline chokepoint

What chokepoint? You have an entire building to rotate off of. That's not what i'd really call a chokepoint unless you're insisting on using the line.

The Grumbles
Jun 5, 2006

dogstile posted:

Yeah, its a circle thing but people just can't stop peeking snipers from low ground. Every time I solo play arena I always watch my dumbass pubs get destroyed because they're impatient before kindly explaining to them that they're not going to win a EVA-8 fight against a sniper user on high ground.

What chokepoint? You have an entire building to rotate off of. That's not what i'd really call a chokepoint unless you're insisting on using the line.

The point is, in pub matches, the whole team will usually insist on using the line, to the point where you just have two teams trading potshots through those narrow doorways at the end of each zipline. It sucks!

And the journey there also sucks. Running up that big door every single match is nowhere near as dynamic an experience as the other arena maps, and has that weird feeling of doing something a bit glitchy that you're not supposed to because of the door's height (or a party member will accidentally open it when they run up, leaving you to do it again). The whole thing blows, and I only have fun on that map when I'm blessed with a team that's willing to go literally anywhere else. Clearly, something about the map's design causes people's lizard brains to take that route 90% of the time.

The Grumbles fucked around with this message at 10:23 on May 13, 2021

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?
I dunno, i've learned to not judge things by bad players doing dumb things.

You could put a giant red arrow on something, with the words "this will kill you, you loving idiot", have it make an alarm go off every time someone touches it and you'd still have bad players touch it constantly. Doesn't mean the actual concept of taking the high ground is bad, it just has an idiot trap and is yet another reason to never play with pubs :v:

The Grumbles
Jun 5, 2006
Okay, but this happens in most matches, so the level design is clearly incentivizing this stuff in a way that you don't see on the other maps, where things feel more open. Maybe having that tall building right next to spawn is the problem because all people want to do is clamber up there? I'm not saying that high ground as some abstract idea is a bad thing, but that the high ground in this map is poorly placed in a way that doesn't make for a very interesting experience, in my opinion. I think the only way to judge a multiplayer shooter's map design is by how players at large tend to respond to it.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?
It's a bit of both, I think. The main issue for a lot of what you're saying is people playing with their brain off. It's very easy to autopilot and go "yes, high ground".

That being said, i've watched decent players abuse the bunkers when the circle doesn't favour the high ground. I've also noticed that every single map has "high ground" that everyone just naturally takes, it's just that the high ground in those maps aren't as awkward to get up onto, probably because it wasn't designed as an arena map first.

E: That being said if it spawned everyone on the bunker side i'd still run to the buildings pretty much every round unless the circle was very clearly not going there, because that much height is far to good to give up.

kanonvandekempen
Mar 14, 2009
Does anyone know if there is a way to avoid being put in the BR mode, when queueing for arenas? It's happening a little too often.

Daztek
Jun 2, 2006

kanonvandekempen posted:

Does anyone know if there is a way to avoid being put in the BR mode, when queueing for arenas? It's happening a little too often.

It doesn't properly cancel queues, so if you queue for BR and then cancel it, switch to arenas and queue again, it'll still queue for BR

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011
Also if you swap from one mode to another and then instantly queue it can mess up like that, wait a few seconds.

Sultan Tarquin
Jul 29, 2007

and what kind of world would it be? HUH?!
BR really doesn't have any kind of matchmaking. There's 2 separate lobbies though:

-absolute potatoes. Not sure if actual real players or somehow a cat walked across a keyboard and accdeintally launched the game
-everyone else. If you're even remotely below to slightly above average this is where you'll be. This is also where the game puts all the apex predator players.

It prirorities getting a game as fast as humanly possible rather than taking even 10 seconds to do some kind of basic matchmaking so 10,000 kill 4k20 badge wraiths aren't just stomping your dick every game.

Plank Walker
Aug 11, 2005
So I've never played World's Edge before this season... what am I supposed to be doing when my teammates hot drop us into the fragment city every game? It's like skull town but with less loot and more verticality and I feel like no matter where I go, inside a building or out, I'm fully exposed on all sides, but if I try to hold my ground in a single building, my teammates have already moved on to the next block and I get sandwiched by another squad

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

Plank Walker posted:

So I've never played World's Edge before this season... what am I supposed to be doing when my teammates hot drop us into the fragment city every game?

die and go next, mostly

dogstile posted:

there's definitely hidden mmr in arena, i was watching sweetdreams stack play it the other day and 9 times out of 10 they got matched against nokos stack

repiv fucked around with this message at 14:38 on May 13, 2021

xtal
Jan 9, 2011

by Fluffdaddy
That's going to happen every match in World's Edge. There's also some humour to it. The players who always hot drop fragment tend to suck and die first. So they added arena mode so people can get their gunfight fix there. But the people stupid enough to hot drop fragment every game are also stupid enough to keep playing arena strategies in BR and continue to lose your whole team's SR.

I just wouldn't play with pubs if it's worlds edge in ranked. Or pubs in ranked at all really.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?

repiv posted:

there's definitely hidden mmr in arena, i was watching sweetdreams stack play it the other day and 9 times out of 10 they got matched against nokos stack

I can't wait to see how it plays out. I've won all the games i've played so far and from what i've noticed is that the last couple games its started putting me up against stacks, rather than 3 clanless/different clan'd players.

J
Jun 10, 2001

repiv posted:

Yeah last weekend noko's stream title was something about going for a 100 arena win streak and uh, yeah that wasn't going to happen ever. His group was constantly getting matched versus actual pro teams and other insanely good players.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.
Has anyone encountered any speed hackers on console? I had a very strange experience last night and I suppose it might have been two people with the exact same Legendary skin on Mirage; otherwise somebody appeared to go about 50m in 4 seconds. I didn't have eyes on them the whole time though and I stupidly didn't save a video clip.

tweet my meat
Oct 2, 2013

yospos

Megaman's Jockstrap posted:

Has anyone encountered any speed hackers on console? I had a very strange experience last night and I suppose it might have been two people with the exact same Legendary skin on Mirage; otherwise somebody appeared to go about 50m in 4 seconds. I didn't have eyes on them the whole time though and I stupidly didn't save a video clip.

Never seen em in a console lobby before, but speedhacks are definitely a thing.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

the playstation and xbox are locked down pretty tight, but with how busted open the first gen switches are they might be able to do code injection on there and get PC-style cheats in console lobbies

Simone Magus
Sep 30, 2020

by VideoGames
I saw a fair bit of weird movement issues last night, probably just servers being fucky

Chard
Aug 24, 2010

anybody know how the label above the enemy team works in arenas? sometimes it just says Enemy Squad, but other times it looks like it's their clan name or something custom.

there are definitely, 100% speedhacks and others in the wild right now. had a 'fun' arenas match against three complete loving potatoes that - when they got tired of losing legitimately - just turned on warp drive and laser beams and went flawless three rounds in a row. it was incredibly obvious because they still had bad movement, it was just impossible to keep up with.

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Chard posted:

anybody know how the label above the enemy team works in arenas? sometimes it just says Enemy Squad, but other times it looks like it's their clan name or something custom.

as best as I can guess, if it's a full stack it'll use their clan name, if it's a matchmade pub group it'll say Enemy Squad

Rubellavator
Aug 16, 2007

Arenas is a brand new mode and I dont they seeded the mmr.

Simone Magus
Sep 30, 2020

by VideoGames

SKULL.GIF posted:

as best as I can guess, if it's a full stack it'll use their clan name, if it's a matchmade pub group it'll say Enemy Squad

Yeah that's it

Chard
Aug 24, 2010

SKULL.GIF posted:

that's pretty neat i guess. gives them a chance to actually show the full name of the club instead of just the four letter [TAG]

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
Pfft. Why have skill based matchmaking when you can have the 5 second shorter queues.

Daztek
Jun 2, 2006

https://twitter.com/PlayApex/status/1392906236518182913

Songbearer
Jul 12, 2007

Fuck you say?
Bocek is tolerable now and doesn't feel that scummy to use, feedback could still be better but it's a good start.

I think they should completely overhaul the Sentinel. Put it somewhere between the G7 and Longbow as a mid to long range scout rifle that rewards good aim/headshot damage over the Longbow's plink potential

Schneider Inside Her
Aug 6, 2009

Please bitches. If nothing else I am a gentleman
The Sentinel needs to be a single shot bolt action imo. Just get rid of the magazine and increase the chambering time by a little bit maybe.

xtal
Jan 9, 2011

by Fluffdaddy

Schneider Inside Her posted:

The Sentinel needs to be a single shot bolt action imo. Just get rid of the magazine and increase the chambering time by a little bit maybe.

That would need to have 1hk headshots to get kills and then you basically have Kraber.

SteelMentor
Oct 15, 2012

TOXIC
imo they should just rework its charging mechanic, it's a giant waste of time and cells and yet I think it's making Respawn hesitant to tweak the rest of the gun.

I have grown to enjoy it a fair bit with Tempo however.

Songbearer
Jul 12, 2007

Fuck you say?
The Sentinel now plays whatever music pack you have equipped, and firing to the beat with Tempo gives it increased damage

ziasquinn
Jan 1, 2006

Fallen Rib

SteelMentor posted:

imo they should just rework its charging mechanic, it's a giant waste of time and cells and yet I think it's making Respawn hesitant to tweak the rest of the gun.

I have grown to enjoy it a fair bit with Tempo however.

it feels great if you have gold armor to charge but gold armor is so loving rare

Sultan Tarquin
Jul 29, 2007

and what kind of world would it be? HUH?!
Is sentinel charge broken in arena?

Argyle Gargoyle
Apr 1, 2009

ABSTRACT SHAPES CREW

lower ttk such that engagements are much more risky across the board. every weapon issue resolved, bocek excluded

SteelMentor
Oct 15, 2012

TOXIC
Alternatively gently caress that, Apex's relatively low TTK is probably one of it's best features. I can only picture a low TTK Apex being a nightmare hell of meth'd out Octanes twitching R-99's everywhere.

Well, moreso.

Ramie
Mar 2, 2021

imo the flat 25hp nerf we had for a while was the single best change Apex ever had. that was a fun few weeks. were people really that against it?

Kalko
Oct 9, 2004

Songbearer posted:

The Sentinel now plays whatever music pack you have equipped, and firing to the beat with Tempo gives it increased damage

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SZaE7QkME38&t=95s

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

valk ult may need a bit more work

https://files.catbox.moe/j58pa1.mp4

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hackan Slash
May 31, 2007
Hit it until it's not a problem anymore

catgirlgenius posted:

imo the flat 25hp nerf we had for a while was the single best change Apex ever had. that was a fun few weeks. were people really that against it?

The issue with the hp nerf was that while it did reward positioning, that also made pressing w harder. Two squads plinking at each other until a third walked up behind one isn't the gameplay must people are looking for.

I think mobility legends are bad overall for the game. I kinda wish they gave everyone a choice of a movement tac to even things out. They had some really good design rules in terms of combat, but now they seem to enjoy seeing how hard they can break them.