Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.

Simone Magus posted:

Everyone's gonna use the Fuse pirate skin eh

Really funny that the skins are "a sick-rear end pirate" and "rockabilly stuntman I guess?"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

wa27 posted:

They should call it the 30-70 because that's about how often I will hit with it.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

MarshyMcFly posted:

It’s amazing to see all sorts of cooperation go out the window once a pubby doesn’t respect dibs of another pubby.

Honestly I'm amazed the developers let people disrespect dibs. You could just make it prevent teammates from picking up the item for 30 seconds unless you were downed or dead in that timeframe. Would it cause problems in rare cases? Yes absolutely. Would it solve this sort of thing? Almost 100%.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

kaffo posted:

I'm assuming that they didn't do this to stop people being assholes and just dibs-ing every ping
It works for the replicator since its your mats and you're not the one calling the dibs on it, it's inherent

All this would do is force people to wait 30 seconds to pick up the stuff the other guy dibs'd. Also pretty sure that Mr. Dibs Everything would get the same treatment as Mr. Racial Slurs - his teammates just flat ignore or quit on him.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

After they bopped Skull Town, KC played terribly. What I took away from it was that having POIs relatively evenly distributed in popularity and fairly close to each other creates third party hell. It seems to me that most maps actually need a Fragment/Hammond Labs type area to thin the herd and have the highly-aggressive (and generally fairly coordinated and skilled) players eliminate each other early.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

Skyarb posted:

"fairly coordinated and skilled" ... "Dropping fragment"

Hmmmmmm

I admit that "generally" is doing a lot of work there. ;)

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

dogstile posted:

Yeah I think if they did a balloon pass on Kings the third partying would go down significantly. Currently its pretty much the only map where you can go balloon to balloon the entire game.

Funny enough, during the devstream they claimed that they already did do a balloon pass.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

J posted:

Augh why are people who already have 4k/20 on Fuse in my lobbies gently caress off!!!

Anecdotally, because their playerbase has already cratered. On Tueday pretty much everyone who played Apex on my friends list was playing it. On Wednesday it was about 30% of the people. Yesterday it was the usual gang of pretty hardcore players who go all season and all have decent badges.

What you've got to understand is if you're an average player, you're actually a bad player after around 2 - 3 days of a new piece of content launching as only the committed players hang around. The solution for this is just accept that you're going to get run over a lot of time, or find a nice regular group of good players who don't mind carrying you.

Edit: the other thing to accept is that if you're playing outside of prime time gaming hours (i.e. when kids are on) you're going to have a worse time as well.

Megaman's Jockstrap fucked around with this message at 23:01 on Feb 5, 2021

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

Well I'm on console, but I literally bolded and italicized "anecdotally" because that's exactly what it was. I also noticed that Thursday's lobbies were significantly harder than Tuesdays but, y'know, go off king.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

I mean when I say "cratered" I just meant that it had a big influx of people, who then left. That's clearly not the case on the PC side - it's declining by only ~5k or so on peak hours. So you can say "hey that's wrong" about what I said, I ain't gonna take it personally. Doesn't change the fact that I had some easy wins on Tuesday but by Thursday it was regressing back to being mostly very coordinated squaded up good players, and that the game literally always follows this pattern of "more casual interest around season starts and events".

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

I mean it does tell me that on the PC side they are losing players a lot slower than I thought, so that's helpful.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

BlindSite posted:

I know this is more a rant about match making as whole in the genre but it gets pretty frustrating.

If it matters at all the devs have said that they are uncomfortable with anyone calling their system "SBMM" because it prioritizes speedy matches so much.

The reason that SBMM has become so prominent is, ostensibly, because it massively helps with player retention. I don't know by how much, but there's a bunch of different devs who have said this.

For example in this article, two Respawn devs said that they turned it off for certain data centers, and saw immediate (negative, from their perspective) results:

https://www.vg247.com/2020/06/03/why-apex-legends-has-sbmm/

There's some other stuff out there too about it.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

xtal posted:

Wait what?

He's saying that because he won his first 3 games of the season, the game matched him in with other good players regardless of their connection, which led to no-regs and lag.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

This is actually very good of them.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

The preview refers to (spoilers for the next map change and location) a Caustic "town takeover" of Water Treatment.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

Someone needs to tell the devs that looting isn't particularly fun and the current mode still regularly has weird loot. It's not like I'm getting everything I want every single game. I think Locked and Loaded is a vast improvement.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

The Midniter posted:

I was messing with the Anvil the other day and it seems like it turns the 301 into a G7 with more controllable recoil and larger mag. Also, the option to switch back to auto, making it basically the perfect gun. Why didn't anyone telll meeeeeeeeeeeee

Well, because the Flatline is even better. With the Flatline you can chew people up at close range with hipfire, chew them up at shorter medium range with ADS, and then chunk them to death with big ole meaty shots from longer distance. Enormous damage per clip even with a white mag. Beast mode.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

Shame they gutted Caustic. I would have expected literally anything else and a much smaller adjustment, like making the gas cannister radiuses 15% smaller or capping the damage at 9 instead of 12. Very drastic change that isn't justified IMO.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

Also Rampart did not get as much love as I thought she would. They need to work on Sheila. Not the barriers, Sheila. Her Ult is not good, cool dogstile videos not withstanding.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

The Devstream mentions that Caustic is attempting to improve his gas. Perhaps they will mostly restore its power after the event.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

SteelMentor posted:

Oh cool, that's a relief. Was pretty funny to see people flying about like a John Woo flick.

I was just about to use "speed ramping <> slow mo" and post a sick Hard Boiled GIF as an example, but you clearly know what's up.

Have the GIF anyway. (he's using a Mastiff)

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

Make all Maggie's modes active at once you cowards!!!!

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

I lost a very winnable game last night when it was just my squad and the enemy squad, and a ring flare opened between us and the enemy squad. Unfortunately it trapped us on the side that couldn't get to the next ring, and them on the side that could. We lost because of a coin flip. Between this, the bad writing on Maggie's voice lines (the actress does a fine job, but the lines themselves are mostly bad or really repetitive), the awful audio bugs, and the fact that I'm frequently being put in very competitive lobbies with fresh-faced Switch players as my teammates - yeah. This is rough.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

dogstile posted:

Yeah man i'm sure the enemy is gonna just let them walk forward through the zone casually deploying heat shields :v:

You called it. We tried to do this but it's an enormous "LOOK HERE GUYS WE'RE COMING THROUGH THE RING" and a bunch of grenades and bullets sent us back. Our second attempt...we had to run about 20m through unshielded under fire and we died. I mean I can't blame the other squad at all, they got the lucky flip and gatekeeping works.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

runchild posted:

They really, REALLY need to do something about reviving taking precedence over reloading, even though the button isn’t being held so the revive never even starts. I shouldn’t lose a fight just because my teammate is crawling around under me.

Agreed. I've had this happen a couple of times to me and it feels really really bad.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

I was hoping the "No Fill Teammates" would help with these issues but alas, it has not.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

Zesty posted:

You really shouldn't waste time standing in line at boxes here. It's a team game. My teammate getting an upgrade is just as good for me as me getting an upgrade.

It's really not good when the 10-year old Octane player takes all the purple loot, then Ws directly into battle with zero tactics or planning and dies before they do 90 damage. I'm not saying you have to fight over the loot but I've had pub teammates who literally follow me around and try to take everything before I get it and it's extremely annoying.

Megaman's Jockstrap fucked around with this message at 17:25 on Apr 1, 2021

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What is this talk of no mobility in the Titans? They have a great dash and move quickly, and several of them have actual flight or teleport mechanics. They just aren't tiny cracked-out wallrunning freaks who can attack from nearly any angle at any time.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

At this point I have to believe that the devs are aware that a significant fraction of their playerbase quits Casual games constantly and just don't care.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

MarshyMcFly posted:

Yea I don’t think I’ll ever view casual matches in the same way as ranked anymore. Without a full squad it’s atrocious! I’m pretty much just playing ranked so my teammates don’t quit every match.

With a full squad it's pretty atrocious too unless you're all very solid high plat/low diamond players, since that's the "default" skill level of the full-squad queue in my experience.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

The only thing I legit don't like when I'm solo is running into those squads of 3 decent shooters that focus fire and never leave each other's side. They just deathball through other squads and they get by on their coordination and nothing else. There's zero strategy or thought, they just run directly into the fight and either you separate them with grenades/abilities/mobility and win or you get downed in 2 seconds and then watch some other squad wipe them. Very stupid.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

Just make the shield have 150 HP, easy, now if it gets sustained fire it still helps out but it's not an infinite damage sponge.

It also indirectly makes LMGs a little bit better by letting their huge clip damage potential actually mean something (outside of being good for scrubs like me because I can't hit my shots).

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

These comics need more panels. They're cramming too much poo poo in there. I feel like the hard limit of four images to a tweet are ruining them.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

Cretin90 posted:

I would just like to say thanks respawn for saving me a minimum of $20 by putting zero effort into your lovely event recolors once again.

The fact that the weekly store is just the same old poo poo we've always seen when they've literally got two dozen recolors that they haven't bothered to rotate in is pretty nuts too.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

Big problem I have with Olympus is there's around 5 Skulltown level POIs in the map that everybody fights around and none of them are actually as good as Skulltown.

Take the empty areas, make them high-tier loot POIs, have fun.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

The last 4 weapons introduced have been the Sentinel, the .3030 Repeater, the Volt, and now a Bow.

3 of the 4 are absolutely worthless to the average player as they badly punish any missed shots.

Not impressed.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

Daztek posted:

And the Cold War, tia

I'm a Cold War fanatic - it was my favorite gun in TF2 and I actually bought the dumb 5 dollar skin for it - but it wouldn't work in Apex. The entire gimmick of the gun is that it's a pretty good area-of-effect weapon and if you get above another player they're dead. Put this into Apex and you've got Horizon + other vertical mobility Legends absolutely making GBS threads on everyone. Or they change the gun so much that it's not the Cold War anymore, either way not great. :(

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

MarshyMcFly posted:

Seriously they shouldn’t be adding so many weapons that make the skill ceiling even higher; the ceiling is super high already. If anything they should introduce a gun that requires a lower skill to use to stop frustrating the player base.

I am just tired of getting 2 "drop and die and quit" pubbies as teammates all the time and going up against clear 3 stacks that are way too good for the lobbies they're in. And it's not any better in Ranked, I'm just forced to play through match solo or get a 10-minute timeout. "Just don't solo queue" you're all saying, but literally all my nice and fun teammates have left. I know their player numbers are incredibly good right now but I'd never know it.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

blastron posted:

Are you in the goon Discord server? The people there are not poo poo at the game and generally friendly and communicative teammates. Much better than solo queue.

Thank you for the suggestion but I'm not on PC and not good enough to play in PC cross-lobbies, sorry.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

Ravenfood posted:

Yeah I really liked it too. The people who really hated it where the people who thought they are better than they actually were. IIRC, at least in 1, it had by far the lowest DPS in-game in auto-aim mode so all dying to it meant was you either got completely surprised by the other pilot (and so would have died if they'd used a different gun) or you didn't kill them fast enough. It was a nice gun to allow people to engage with the movement system more if they weren't good enough (like me) to aim and move at the same time, so I focused on moving and letting the gun aim for me. Someone better than me could still smoke me easily, while people who thought they were better than they were would get gunned down. It also, perhaps artificially, gave a leg up that often doesn't exist for people who play FPSs and don't have great aiming reflexes but enjoy other parts of the game a lot.

Oh well.

If you don't know the story, when they were testing Titanfall 1 one of the Devs was fuckin' godlike, MLG gaming material. The other Devs got sick of flanking him only to have him literally 180 flick a Kraber shot into them or do some crazy juke while chain-headshotting them. So they came up with the Smart Pistol, which at the time displayed no locking indicator or anything else. The whole principle was that the gun was a soft skill check and if you were up against a vastly superior opponent who rarely missed, at least you could kill them if you snuck up on them.

Of course the problem there (and I think it's a good design principle btw) is that any gun that can ice a really good player is going to be devastating against a mediocre player. If you got really good at mobility you could fly another player at Mach 2 and while they missed all their shots and you waited for lock. It legit was a problem, although not as bad as some people claimed.

Honestly making it boosted ability in TF2 was probably the best way to handle it, you could keep it in your back pocket for problem players and it had poo poo for ammunition. It was also not as generally useful as some of the other boosts (looking at you Amped Weapons).