Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

bushisms.txt posted:

Octanes one handed reload rifle ability makes him a secret great pick for people who like snipers and bolt actions mid range. Glad they buffed him, was feeling dumb picking him when horizon was available.
His what?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011
I played more of TF1 than TF2, but I also like how the maps interacted with the relative size of pilots vs Titans. Some areas felt like great arenas as a pilot that were just tremendously claustrophobic as a titan, and areas that felt good as a titan were pretty large areas that often lacked cover as a pilot. It was a very nicely done change that shifted the map around a lot without actually changing anything that added a lot of fun movement and map control dynamics.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011
Yeah I'm not feeling a bow. The niche is again weird, just like Destiny's. Medium range, high damage, slow rate of fire. How does it differ from a sniper sans scope, or a DMR? If anything, the 3030's gimmick of higher damage on delayed shots seems like it belongs on the bow instead.

Also I hate it aesthetically.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

Aquasnake posted:

Very controversial opinion, but this is why I loved the concept of the smart pistol from a design standpoint back when they introduced it in Titanfall 1. It's also just very neat concept to have a gun that does something other than 'fire bullets in a straight line'

It would take some effort but I'm sure they could make it work, the lock on has an inherently limited range, and very rarely in apex can you get that close to another squad without being noticed. But again, I understand the majority of the community just HATES it as a concept.

Yeah I really liked it too. The people who really hated it where the people who thought they are better than they actually were. IIRC, at least in 1, it had by far the lowest DPS in-game in auto-aim mode so all dying to it meant was you either got completely surprised by the other pilot (and so would have died if they'd used a different gun) or you didn't kill them fast enough. It was a nice gun to allow people to engage with the movement system more if they weren't good enough (like me) to aim and move at the same time, so I focused on moving and letting the gun aim for me. Someone better than me could still smoke me easily, while people who thought they were better than they were would get gunned down. It also, perhaps artificially, gave a leg up that often doesn't exist for people who play FPSs and don't have great aiming reflexes but enjoy other parts of the game a lot.

Oh well.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

xtal posted:

I don't get why they nerfed Black Market when Loba already sucks

Have you ever not had it up whenever you wanted?

Increasing the movement speed of the Marksman weapons sounds nice.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

Rubellavator posted:

The most common advice I hear from pros about "how to get good" is to play exactly like that, run towards every gunshot and hold your w key.

"How to get good" and "best way to win this particular game right now" aren't the same thing.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011
I know they won't be doing it for awhile because it's new, but the bow feels like it 100% should be a care package weapon.

E: and like I feared, there isn't much of a gameplay niche for bows besides "DMR but [better/worse]".

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

Hackan Slash posted:

They did change it so if the drop ship flies through it it doesn't murder the whole server at once, which is cowardice.

Lame.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

dragon enthusiast posted:

instead of all these convoluted solutions they should just fix the problem and make leaving early count as a loss

While they are at it make it a death too, for the people who bizarrely care about k/d ratios.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011
Yeah I've been doing LStar and Mozambique first round and then usually can get a purple Volt in every subsequent round. If neither team has a Bangalore I can use a bit more balanced loadout but most of my rounds have had at least one so the threat scope is nice.

Plus the volt is great anyway.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

catgirlgenius posted:

Bangalore with digi-threats is currently my preferred way to rack up Arena wins in a hurry. it feels like cheating atm, but I figure people in Ranked Arena will figure out counters easily enough

The counter seems to be to get a digi-threat of my own, which works well when my preferred gun is the Volt.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

Azran posted:

How dare you besmirch the L-Star. Arena has given me a ton of appreciation for a weapon that never needs to reload, is impressively accurate and deals good damage.

It's always been good off the drop because it needs so few attachments. Conversely, it drops off late game because it has so few attachments.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

MarshyMcFly posted:

https://twitter.com/alphaintel/status/1408088685971750920?s=21

These arena changes are brutal to my pathfinder! I love him for arenas! Also they finally found out about the LSTAR round 1 strat I keep doing! But why did they make the volt more expensive than the r99?

My guess is that while the R99 is probably better at being a smg, the Volt does really well at being an all-around weapon. I know most of my rounds I used the LStar first round and a fully maxed out Volt every round afterwards. In further rounds I'd get a secondary weapon or more batteries/grenades but a Volt was plenty good at almost all arena ranges.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011
Not that I think the fire rate/damage profile for the new LMG makes sense for it but a light ammo lmg seems like it would be nice.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

Rubellavator posted:

in the end this is only really going to hurt the ability for certain players to make content for their streams and make the game look fun

Yeah, I watched a stream where someone didn't use it and all I could think was how boring and terrible it was. Utterly ruined the game forever. Everything else they did with positioning and aim and gamesense: all lost, like tears in the rain.