Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

istewart
Apr 13, 2005

Still contemplating why I didn't register here under a clever pseudonym

OMGVBFLOL posted:

...in a row?

No actually, our galaxy brain lord and savior has discovered a highly parallelizable automatic fellatio algorithm! That’s where all the RTX 3080 cards are going.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

More like "Bulges Adventure"
Who would have imagined launching reusable space dildos would be so hard???

gary oldmans diary
Sep 26, 2005
elon musk has weaponized the concept of safe reusable rockets. the perfect peacetime weapon. the army and air force have already scheduled tests for landing rockets in iran and north korea

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe
Felon Musk

gary oldmans diary
Sep 26, 2005
haliburton has made a bid with the department of defense to design a warhead that will produce a full nuclear explosion in the event of accidental rocket destruction

Roumba
Jun 29, 2005
Buglord
What is Starship supposed to like, uh, do?

It doesn't carry deployable payloads like satellites, probes or futuristic-spacestation bits. And I don't expect its "bellyflop to airbrake then suicide burn until my spindly legs are on firm, level concrete" trick will work on the Moon, Mars or anywhere else.

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

That poo poo is absolutely insane, if they manage to pull it off they can drop launch cost per kg by a couple orders of magnitude. It would be the biggest space flight revolution in decades.

Also, the thing is now one of three official candidates for the moon lander in the artemis program. I don't know what you would even do with all that cargo capacity. Take a couple elephants to the moon and back?

Cactus Ghost
Dec 20, 2003

you can actually inflate your scrote pretty safely with sterile saline, syringes, needles, and aseptic technique. its a niche kink iirc

the saline just slowly gets absorbed into your blood but in the meantime you got a big round smooth distended nutsack

GABA ghoul posted:

That poo poo is absolutely insane, if they manage to pull it off they can drop launch cost per kg by a couple orders of magnitude. It would be the biggest space flight revolution in decades.

Also, the thing is now one of three official candidates for the moon lander in the artemis program. I don't know what you would even do with all that cargo capacity. Take a couple elephants to the moon and back?

that's only with orbital refueling, isn't it?

Mnoba
Jun 24, 2010

OMGVBFLOL posted:

yep, the super heavy has a mid air refueling variant and a land on mars variant

gary oldmans diary
Sep 26, 2005
they payoff is gonna be so much better watching musks rocket explode on mars some day

Nefarious 2.0
Apr 22, 2008

Offense is overrated anyway.

I'm every weird nerd saying that an exploding rocket is a revolution in space travel technology

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Nefarious 2.0 posted:

I'm every weird nerd saying that an exploding rocket is a revolution in space travel technology

Ummmm except it is dumbass?????? It's a perfect example of what NOT to do if you want to go to space, duhh, thank you space dad musk for showing us in your infinite wisdom

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost
What if they make a giant pillow farm in the Grand Canyon and just land rockets there?

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe
Elon make me a space toilet so I can give nerds Zero-G Swirlies.

Woden
May 6, 2006

DarkSoulsTantrum posted:

Elon named his company SpaceX because it sounds like “space sex”

He wanted to call it SpaceY but another pedophile already has that name.

Flannelette
Jan 17, 2010

Apparently it was all going fine until it hit the ground too fast, but I'm not a rocket scientist or anything.

hotdog feet
Nov 3, 2005
a new Challenger appears

Halloween Liker
Oct 31, 2020

by Fluffdaddy
No ones getting to Mars

Everyone on the craft will murder each other before they get there because they are all insufferable and also insane/will go insane.

As soon as the full enormity of it being impossible to return and youre going to live in a shipping container on Mars for the rest of your life drinking Soylent kicks in...

Halloween Liker fucked around with this message at 04:35 on Feb 4, 2021

kntfkr
Feb 11, 2019

GOOSE FUCKER
Maybe Frank Grimes can do some yoga and have a stem cell bath about it while murdering poor people in front of Aeonflux28.*

Knormal
Nov 11, 2001

Space is up, why do they only make the rockets go up for a while then come back down? Coming back down is where they keep exploding, just keep going up.

R.L. Stine
Oct 19, 2007

welcome to dead gay house
to the "indentured servants" landing on mars this probably would have been seen as a success actually

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Halloween Liker posted:

As soon as the full enormity of it being impossible to return and youre going to live in a shipping container on Mars for the rest of your life drinking Soylent kicks in...

The one question these musk people hate answering realistically is "why the gently caress would anyone want to go there?"

BigBadSteve
Apr 29, 2009

Mr Musk should pilot each new space rocket for the first flight to demonstrate how safe they are.

LanceHunter
Nov 12, 2016

Beautiful People Club

CJacobs posted:

The one question these musk people hate answering realistically is "why the gently caress would anyone want to go there?"

I mean, the idea of going and settling new places is a deep, powerful current in all human cultures.

Of course, what the Musk fanboys never seem to grasp is just how insanely inhospitable Mars is. It’s not appreciably different than being on the moon (like, gravity on Mars is closer to that of the moon than that of Earth). If you’re going to be on Mars, you’re basically going to be confined to landed spaceships and space suits the entire time you’re there.

PBS Spacetime did a really good episode on what it would take to terraform Mars, and basically if everything went right and we dedicated essentially the entire economy of Earth to doing it (and a number of currently-impossible scientific breakthroughs occur) then we might be able to approach something almost habitable ~600 years.

https://youtu.be/FshtPsOTCP4

Partially in the back of everyone’s mind when there’s talk of going to Mars is also the idea that they’re going to “escape” problems on Earth. (Ecological crisis, civilization’s collapse, etc.) You even see this from folks who are generally opposed to the effort, as they think Musk and other billionaires are planning an exit strategy of some sort. But, like, there is literally nothing that could happen on Earth (total nuclear war, Yellowstone eruption, another hit from an asteroid as big as the one that killed the dinosaurs) that would make it less hospitable to life than Mars is.

ScRoTo TuRbOtUrD
Jan 21, 2007

LanceHunter posted:

I mean, the idea of going and settling new places is a deep, powerful current in all human cultures.

Of course, what the Musk fanboys never seem to grasp is just how insanely inhospitable Mars is. It’s not appreciably different than being on the moon (like, gravity on Mars is closer to that of the moon than that of Earth). If you’re going to be on Mars, you’re basically going to be confined to landed spaceships and space suits the entire time you’re there.

PBS Spacetime did a really good episode on what it would take to terraform Mars, and basically if everything went right and we dedicated essentially the entire economy of Earth to doing it (and a number of currently-impossible scientific breakthroughs occur) then we might be able to approach something almost habitable ~600 years.

https://youtu.be/FshtPsOTCP4

Partially in the back of everyone’s mind when there’s talk of going to Mars is also the idea that they’re going to “escape” problems on Earth. (Ecological crisis, civilization’s collapse, etc.) You even see this from folks who are generally opposed to the effort, as they think Musk and other billionaires are planning an exit strategy of some sort. But, like, there is literally nothing that could happen on Earth (total nuclear war, Yellowstone eruption, another hit from an asteroid as big as the one that killed the dinosaurs) that would make it less hospitable to life than Mars is.

could i read your posts on mars

Toys For Ass Bum
Feb 1, 2015

numberoneposter posted:

lmao just watched the video that thing loving BLEW UP!!!!

https://twitter.com/LabPadre/status/1356718480045834240

:eyepop:

Jabberlock
Nov 29, 2014

if the goal was to have a cool explosion, it seems like a huge success

ScRoTo TuRbOtUrD
Jan 21, 2007

lol

Weka
May 5, 2019

That child totally had it coming. Nobody should be able to be out at dusk except cars.
No timestamp OP, more like rough gokul baby. However this did allow me to hear what sounded like a caricature of a nerd call this thing a starship which was hilarious, so rated 4.

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

Lmao

kntfkr
Feb 11, 2019

GOOSE FUCKER
what a beautiful sky

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

Weka posted:

No timestamp OP, more like rough gokul baby. However this did allow me to hear what sounded like a caricature of a nerd call this thing a starship which was hilarious, so rated 4.

It only works if you watch the entire launch. gently caress yo timestamps.

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

I have a suggestion for Elon:

*ahem*

Have you tried not crashing the rocket? Just a thought...

defaultluser
Jan 13, 2007

The person can drink sake for the following five reasons. First of all, for the national holiday. Moreover, it fills with the nectar. Finally, for reasons. Next, to heal the dryness of the place. After that, to refuse the future
Fun Shoe

kntfkr posted:

what a beautiful sky

You'd better learn to love it, as that's all you'll be e seeing i the eastern half of the state,

You get nothing but flat and blue skies, and the state is so loving huge, you;ll be diving several hours between major cities,

East Texas is just a super-sized Indiana, (complete with white supremacists) but the western half is at least interesting

defaultluser fucked around with this message at 08:22 on Feb 4, 2021

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

Seems like they should try building a rocket that flies more than 10km and then explodes.
As far as I'm aware Mars was last observed several more km away than that at least

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?
My coffee warned me about it.

https://twitter.com/LabPadre/status/1356722294505226240

This guy

Halloween Liker
Oct 31, 2020

by Fluffdaddy
* dude sneezes 7 days into the journey *

Woden
May 6, 2006

Why don't they try and land on the flat bit? Landing on the corner seems dangerous.

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

OMGVBFLOL posted:

Yeah, but starship development seems to be going extremely well for now while nasa's artemis program is a never-ending clusterfuck of delays, cost overruns and bad design decisions so they are probably thinking that this thing will be certified and ready by the time nasa actually needs it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dumb Sex-Parrot
Dec 25, 2020
I hear astronauts poo poo their pants on the reg. If that's the case I've been developing my own space program for the last 30-odd years.