Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Wormskull
Aug 23, 2009

I didn't for a principled reason I don't quite remember, something about naming pokémon made me feel bad for them. They speak there own names. And what if they name themselves. I dunno. Partly I didn't have the patience to type one in but I also just liked the names they had. Except I hated when I got a in game traded pokemon and it hosed up my collection.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Though the battle might be endless, I will never give up
yes but they were all names like screwdriver and bean

Wormskull
Aug 23, 2009

Ash didn't name his Pikachu. You know what I mean.

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

I did when I was a kid but I don’t remember what kind of names I gave them. I haven’t really played since Gen 1 but if I played today I would probably keep the original names OP. When I play RPGs I use the default names unless there is no default like in Dragon Quest

I got the tude now
Jul 22, 2007
i would have to manually name them their actual names b/c i would try to mash through the dialogue boxes. it never felt the same..

Punished Chuck
Dec 27, 2010

I didn’t. It just feels right to use their original names

Punished Chuck
Dec 27, 2010

Wormskull posted:

Ash didn't name his Pikachu. You know what I mean.

I wasn’t really into the show as a kid but I think this is a big part of the reason why. Not a lot of people using nicknames in the canon. Except the Pokemon you get traded by NPCs even all the other trainers in the games barely ever name their Pokémon.

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011
Each and every one got their own name. I train with my heart.

Daikatana Ritsu
Aug 1, 2008

99% of the time, no, but there was a cart I decided to rename them on and when I posted my nicks (nicknames) on the Pokemon AOL Teen Gaming Message Boards a guy said he loved Sparkplug (Pikachu) & Chapper (Sandshrew).

Wormskull
Aug 23, 2009

Earned the approval of a depraved pedophile.

Kongming
Aug 30, 2005

I probably did the first few times I caught some but I quickly stopped because you want me to come up with 150 individual names for these things? No thank you.

Cubone
May 26, 2011

Because it never leaves its bedroom, no one has ever seen this poster's real face.
named a chikorita cyndaquil to gently caress with my friends

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

yes, but only first names like Edgar or James or Terry

Oh Long Johnson
Oct 22, 2010

Wormskull posted:

They speak there own names.

that’s not canon

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3683267&userid=153633

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

I did only with my main team and always named them over edgy poo poo like Latin words or weapon named

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

i named the ones that were gonna be on the main squad, they were usually names like peanut or captain. if theres beedrills in the game ill always get one and call it goredrill or HUGE BEE

NienNunb
Feb 15, 2012

I didn't, op

Scrub-Niggurath
Nov 27, 2007

I named my team stuff with a theme but the theme was always what I was studying in whatever grade I was in so they were all named after Greek gods or Shakespeare characters or WW2 battles

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I never named a single one, and I never had duplicates, except for Evee because I tried to grind out all bajillion variants in Silver. But even then I just left them all named Evee.

HORMELCHILI
Jan 13, 2010

name them a pokemon of the opposite type to mindfuck your opponents

Skylark
Apr 27, 2007

︵‿୨🤍୧‿︵
༶⋆˙⊹。⋆ʚ🦢ɞ ✩ ˛˚.
As a kid I didn't but i like making names up for them now

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.
There was a kid in elementary school who named his mewtwo "MAGIKARP" and it always blew everyone's mind the first time they link battled him

Kagaya Homoraisan
Aug 28, 2019

You say, run away
Instead, you get scared
For the way that I feel
Drops out into all this disorder
ill do it if im doing some theme run but generally nah

Wormskull
Aug 23, 2009

Lmfao

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

📡scanning🛰️ for good game 🎮design🦔🦔🦔
I didn't name them as a kid because I wanted to memorize all the names, and it helped if they were named their names

Later I named my team

Nowadays I name everything because it's more fun, and I have no idea of any of their true names for the new ones. There's too many anyway, I got better stuff to memorize

net cafe scandal
Mar 18, 2011

Simply Simon posted:

There's too many anyway, I got better stuff to memorize

Wormskull
Aug 23, 2009

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

I didn't name any until black and white where I did for some reason

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

📡scanning🛰️ for good game 🎮design🦔🦔🦔
Okay I lied I replaced organic chemistry name reactions with excellent pun names like Phalinx and Frosmoth

ol yeller
Feb 20, 2015
In pokemon blue I named all my pokemon Bob and when my cousin borrowed it he got so pissed at all the pokemon having the same name he deleted the file. never named any of them again

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

ol yeller posted:

In pokemon blue I named all my pokemon Bob and when my cousin borrowed it he got so pissed at all the pokemon having the same name he deleted the file. never named any of them again

lmfao

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011

lol

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

ol yeller posted:

Lol

Punished Chuck
Dec 27, 2010

ol yeller posted:

lol

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

ol yeller posted:

haha

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

ol yeller posted:

lmao

Daikatana Ritsu
Aug 1, 2008

Big Anime Fan Here posted:

JD holds his head in his hands and fights back tears. Maybe it was wrong of him to snoop into his sons saved games in the first place. The stats are horrific. The party is a mishmash of random elemental damage and misappropriated gear. Jack begins to equip a Ribbon before breaking down completely. It is 12 in the afternoon and his son is dazzling the neighborhood with slam dunks in the driveway. It is 12 in the afternoon and 3 of his son's Personas are named "Lebron James"

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

lmfao

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

trying to jack off
Dec 31, 2007

kyle is a god