Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kalit
Nov 6, 2006

The great thing about the thousands of slaughtered Palestinian children is that they can't pull away when you fondle them or sniff their hair.

That's a Biden success story.

Lemming posted:

The biggest thing is how stark the contrast has been between her treatment and the treatment of Ford. I haven't run into anybody who supports Democrats who has accused her of lying about Kavanaugh or even less flagrantly just said they're unsure about her, but people are willing to try to find any reason to discredit Reid. It's pretty hard to look at those two cases and treat them completely differently just based on the facts, you pretty much only can if there's an extra motivation behind it with regards to how one of them is accusing a Republican and one is accusing a Democrat.

Yea, this was honestly an unsurprising but depressing moment for me. I had to look up the news/late night talk show coverage of Ford soon after Reade's accusation came. For Ford, there were articles/late night shows talking about it a day or two later. For Reade, there was hardly any mention of it for (as far as I can remember) weeks. The difference in timelines is infuriating.

Kalit fucked around with this message at 23:24 on Feb 7, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kalit
Nov 6, 2006

The great thing about the thousands of slaughtered Palestinian children is that they can't pull away when you fondle them or sniff their hair.

Fallen Hamprince posted:

The phone call to Larry King does not mention any instance of sexual assault or harassment, by Biden or anyone else. The earliest recorded mention of anything like that is in the court documents relating to her ex husband, but these again do not mention Biden specifically.

Something about if it walks like a duck and swims like a duck and quacks like a duck....

Kalit
Nov 6, 2006

socialsecurity posted:

Huh I hadn't heard about that, now I understand why people question that one neighbor that did not remember until Reade not that I agree with them. This whole thing is a mess did Reade ever press charges so there could be a full real investigation or has it been too long I'm not sure if sexual assault has a statute of limitations.

Please take a look at https://www.rainn.org/statistics/criminal-justice-system and https://www.propublica.org/article/false-rape-accusations-an-unbelievable-story. Trying to bring up the criminal justice system and trusting them to conduct a "real" investigation into it when it comes to sexual assault/rape is laughable.

Kalit
Nov 6, 2006

socialsecurity posted:

I mean isn't that why we should bring it up about how the system failed this woman and continues to so we can figure out what needs to change?

The statute of limitations isn't the issue though, like your post seems to suggest. The issue is we have a criminal justice system that doesn't take sexual assault/rape seriously AND treats women as liars by default (e.g. Fallen Hamprince is this thread). This is why I included those links in my previous posts.

Kalit
Nov 6, 2006

Sodomy Hussein posted:

Trump has dozens of rape and sexual harassment accusers, best for them not to open that ark.

Eh, since when does Fox News/Republicans care about being hypocritical?

Kalit
Nov 6, 2006

Insanite posted:

This is where I hope this thread could end up.

I don't really have good answers to these questions--I find it sort of depressing just to dwell on them.

There are large swathes of politically aware Americans who don't seem to mind that their elected leaders rape women, cavort with human traffickers, or, hell, just disrespect children's personal boundaries. As long as they're on their team, anyway.

Is that chiefly because political tribalism trumps all? I don't know. It helps, but the wealthy and the powerful, as a rule, get away with this stuff whether or not political control is on the line.

I don't know if this is actually contributing anything different than what you're already saying, but I think this is much bigger than just "political tribalism". If we look back at recent history, we see patterns of the same sort of behavior exhibited towards those who came forward about Weinstein, Cosby, etc. Which yes, Weinstein was a huge political donor, but there were other considerations, such as power/money/making or breaking careers. Cosby was less politically active as Weinstein, but still had the power/"family friendly" image. The only reason why they tumbled was because the scale was so enormous, that it was impossible to look away.

If we look beyond that though, I think it's fairly common to hear this happen among people within our own communities as well. Sexual assault/rape is very common. And how often do we hear "oh but he's a good guy, he would never do that to a woman"? I know I have in multiple circles, such as growing up in a small town or being involved in a punk scene.

I guess my overarching point is, I believe the issue of a rapist being elected to a political office will continue as long as our society devalues women and downplays the severity of sexual assault/rape. Having someone elected who raped a woman isn't the core problem, it's the symptom of a much larger problem.

Kalit fucked around with this message at 17:28 on Feb 8, 2021

Kalit
Nov 6, 2006

It doesn't appear any settlements has occurred since that bill passed (https://www.govtrack.us/misconduct, scroll down to the filter box to see sexual harassment/abuse specifically), so I guess unknown. The last one appears to be Pat Meehan, which occurred before that bill (and he ended up resigning when it was reported he used taxpayer money).

E: As an aside, it looks like that Speier/Byrne enhancement bill extending this to all civil rights discrimination settlements (mentioned in that Reuters article) hasn't gone anywhere: https://www.congress.gov/bill/116th-congress/house-bill/5464/text

Kalit fucked around with this message at 18:03 on Feb 8, 2021

Kalit
Nov 6, 2006

DoomTrainPhD posted:

Don't vote for rapists is an incredibly low bar to clear.

This is the shaming attitude that makes me :rolleyes: You could apply this attitude with regards to nearly any action and/or product purchased in our society as well. And unless you believe that you are a perfect person that does not contribute to any harm (hint: it's not possible), having this smug of an attitude doesn't help anything.

Kalit
Nov 6, 2006

OwlFancier posted:

It is not remotely surprising that people adopt a personal-focused moral approach about things that are very personal to them. I do it all the time and I would be very surprised if you don't as well. I know that consequentialism is the more technically useful way to do it but I experience personal focused ethics more viscerally, especially when it is something that matters a lot to me. Saying people shouldn't do that is as useful as shouting at the tide, people are not obligated to be perfectly cold, calm and collected about things that matter a lot to them.

Oh yea, of course I understand the concept of that approach. But the last part of DoomTrainPhD's post could have easily been left off, instead of having the unsaid part of it saying to other people "it's such a low bar, why don't you do it unless you support rape :smug:"

DoomTrainPhD posted:

My stepdaughter was sexually assaulted, so when people say stuff like this, it makes me feel like you are rolling your eyes at her sexual assault and that if the person who sexually assaulted her ever ran for office, I should ignore what he did. I'm sorry that "don't vote for people who have committed sexual assault" is somehow a slippery slope to you.

I'm sincerely sorry about having a stepdaughter who was sexually assaulted. I am not rolling my eyes at anyone who is sexually assaulted or raped. Like I said upthread, the societal issue is so much bigger than voting for a rapist vs throwing your vote away [and leading to the possibility of having a worse outcome]. You don't want to vote for a rapist for president no matter what, that's fine. But inferring that everyone who voted for Biden do not actually care about rape or sexually assault is really lovely. If that wasn't your intention, I'm sorry for the mis-interpretation, but you should also leave off the end of that post I quoted.

CYBEReris posted:

I think people who voted for a rapist should be held to account for it not out of some sick desire for punishment but in the hope that in having to confront it instead of memory hole it away they're galvanized to prevent such a choice from having to be made again

Do you drink LaCroix? If so, why do you love sexual harassers? Do you ever eat at McDonald's? If so, why do you love racial discrimination? Do you buy Coca-Cola products? If so, why do you support death squads in Columbia and stealing water rights from poor people. Do you eat animal products? If so, why do you love murder? Do you drive a car? If so, why do you hate the environment? :smug:

Real answer: I have no problem voting for a rapist this past November given the circumstances that existed, gently caress your shaming statement.

Kalit
Nov 6, 2006

DoomTrainPhD posted:

Now who is shaming who? You are saying that my vote was worthless because I refused to vote for a rapist?

That's your prerogative, but don't act like you are high and mighty because you were able to ignore sexual assault allegations just because he was on your side.

Fair enough, I'm sorry. I meant "vote for one of two realistic candidates, both of whom are rapists". But I'm not trying to act high and mighty nor did I mean to portray it that way. As I said, I'm sorry for using the phrasing of throwing a vote away.

But also, where did I "ignore sexual assault allegations"? I accepted it and still was able to make a decision based on the given circumstances.

Kalit fucked around with this message at 21:26 on Feb 8, 2021

Kalit
Nov 6, 2006

DoomTrainPhD posted:

As discussed earlier, the DNC should not have put them in that position to begin with.

That has nothing to do with the fact that you said I, and by extension I presume all Biden voters, ignored sexual assault survivors because we voted for Biden.

Kalit
Nov 6, 2006

Yinlock posted:

His demeanor in-person, much like Trump, is almost always extremely combative and ill-tempered outside of speeches.

Not meaning to start a derail, but out of sheer curiosity, have you met Biden and Trump in person?

Kalit
Nov 6, 2006

Holy poo poo, this thread is becoming toxic, with you being the main culprit it seems. A minor suggestion was made by a poster, while acknowledging that they were sure that the OP's intention was good, and other posters are attacking them? And you're still continuing after they came out to the thread about being raped multiple times in the past??

E: Clarified my remarks after looking back on this last page

Kalit fucked around with this message at 20:17 on Feb 20, 2021

Kalit
Nov 6, 2006

Ytlaya posted:

This sort of reasoning kind of inherently lets people off the hook for facilitating various atrocities, since you can always say "if this person didn't do it, someone else would have." I think that on a gut level stuff like supporting war crimes as a member of government understandably doesn't feel as personally damning as something more "direct" like a politician raping someone, but that this shouldn't be the case.

I think I might have to disagree with you on that. First of all, you gave a strict definition earlier, pushing for a 6/7 figure death count in a war. Okay, so can we extrapolate that out at all to what would still fall under that definition? 6/7 figure death count if not even in a war? A war with a 4 figure death count? A non-war intervention with a 4 figure death count? Any death? What about voting in favor of a war that ended up failing? On top of that, does "pushing" mean speaking out on the senate/house floor in favor of it? Or does casting a vote in favor of it count? I would guess casting a vote in favor of it counts, but I do not want to put words in your mouth.

Part of being a politician is that it would be hard pressed to find anyone who has served for a decent amount of time who didn't vote yes on at least one of these scenarios. If you think these are disqualifying terms, we would probably need clean everyone out of the senate/house/white house quite often. Even people like Bernie has voted in favor of various things such as not removing US troops from Bosnia in 1998 (which failed), for war authorization in Kosovo in 1999 (which failed), and for post 9/11 authorization to use force (which was written vaguely and heavily abused by the Bush/Obama/Trump administrations).

I would argue it's impossible to think of these terms in black and white because there are things such as (one tiny example off the top of my head) "a bunch of people are already dying, should we do nothing and have that continue or intervene?". While for with personal actions such as rape/sexual assault, it's extremely black and white every single time.

Kalit fucked around with this message at 17:21 on Feb 22, 2021

Kalit
Nov 6, 2006

VitalSigns posted:

Yeah now you're getting it!

:lol: not quite. Using that logic, you can claim that Arnold Schwarzenegger is more qualified for political office in 2003 than Bernie Sanders. Which, I mean, if you honestly believe that than :shrug:

E: To clarify, I think term limits would be a good thing. But I'd heavily argue against the statement "no experience in 2001/2002/2003 is better than literally every other federal politician except for Barbara Lee" due to her being the only one voting against authorization of AUMF.

Kalit fucked around with this message at 15:21 on Feb 22, 2021

Kalit
Nov 6, 2006

VitalSigns posted:

Only if you honestly believe Arnie didn't support the AUMF, and if that's your claim I'm going to need a citation of that

He definitely did not "push" for it, as there is no public statement of him talking about it and he was not in a political office at the time. Also, it's an example to show my broader point, I just went to the extreme of someone (who is well known) without political experience who held a political office.

Kalit fucked around with this message at 15:25 on Feb 22, 2021

Kalit
Nov 6, 2006

VitalSigns posted:

Also you're wrong there are very public statements of him talking about it that were easy to find

https://www.ontheissues.org/Celeb/Arnold_Schwarzenegger_War_+_Peace.htm

That was in 2004, after 2003 and already Governor. Also, I was responding to Ytlaya's post initially, so my original intention wasn't against what your logic is. I was just trying to convey my opinion in the difference in political votes that ended (or could end) in deaths and personal actions such as rape/sexual assault.

Kalit fucked around with this message at 15:48 on Feb 22, 2021

Kalit
Nov 6, 2006

E: Misread a post, nevermind

Kalit fucked around with this message at 15:25 on Mar 3, 2021

Kalit
Nov 6, 2006

John_A_Tallon posted:

I think that the two-thirds of voters who felt like their choices were a rapist or a rapist are mostly suckers who don't examine much very critically and would be utterly unwilling to do anything to rectify their ignorance whenever they get a choice. The point is to not give them a choice; we can collectively keep rubbing their noses in the evidence until they feel like they're being gangstalked. Be completely reasonable, calm, collected, and unyielding on the truth and they'll hate us, but they'll also eventually start to believe us. It's a slow process.

I'm glad you're here to spread the mind blowing statistic that nearly 2/3rd of the eligible voting population in the US are incapable of critically thinking because they had cast a vote for the Democratic or Republican nomination in the 2020 election :allears:

Please tell us, great wise one, are the people who could not vote in the general election because of some barricade but would have voted for Biden or Trump also incapable of critically thinking?

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Kalit
Nov 6, 2006

John_A_Tallon posted:

Good, good, you're right on track here. Keep telling yourself whatever makes you feel better. You'll keep thinking about this and in a few weeks or months or however long it takes for the truth to percolate in, your opinion will change and you won't really be able to pinpoint how or why.

Sorry to blow your mind, but I didn't vote for Obama in 2008 or 2012 in the general election. I already know that the 2 party system is bullshit. But nice try.

Kalit
Nov 6, 2006

John_A_Tallon posted:

It's not really about you though? Or rather, it's not about you personally, but the entire population of American voters that are willing to let fear guide them. At least that's what I assumed you were talking about when you brought up your barricaded abstainer. If you're talking about voter suppression, well, that's not really the topic of this thread. Neither is restoring civic liberties to convicted felons, which would be the other possible interpretation.

What can we do? We can tell the truth.
Who needs to hear the truth? Anyone who fell for the lie.
Who fell for the lie? Apparently most of the voting population of the USA.

That wasn't the point of my post. The point of my post was to mock your post of inferring that everyone (I presume that's what you meant, based on 2/3 of eligible voters had cast ballots for the election) who votes for a major party's candidate in 2020 is incapable of being able to think critically:

John_A_Tallon posted:

I think that the two-thirds of voters who felt like their choices were a rapist or a rapist are mostly suckers who don't examine much very critically

The second part of my post was to expand on what makes you believe that a person is incapable of critically thinking. If you thought it was the act of voting or also the thought(/desire) of voting for a major party's candidate in last year's election.

Kalit fucked around with this message at 16:48 on Mar 12, 2021

Kalit
Nov 6, 2006

Thorn Wishes Talon posted:

So I came across this in my Twitter feed and it seems very very bizarre.

The tweet author is a staff writer for The Atlantic.

https://twitter.com/IsaacDovere/status/1374367075863556101

There's a bit more in the tweet chain, but... what the hell? Any chance she might be forced to say these things? Should we be worried about Reade's safety or anything?

She's been an outspoken fan of Putin for at least a few years. In that tweet thread, you can see Isaac-Dovere link to a Salon article talking about it. In that article, it even says that Isaac-Dovere has used that line to try to discredit Reade

Kalit
Nov 6, 2006

World Famous W posted:

Vote to be clear, just not for rapists. There is still poo poo down ballot that matters

Lots of down ballot candidates are still rapists, so I'm not sure what your point is....

Kalit
Nov 6, 2006

Pentecoastal Elites posted:

hell yeah tone argument let's fuckin gooooooooo!!!

Once again we're smack dab in the middle of palette-swapped 2016-17 Trump voter rhetoric: "you're being intentionally inflammatory", "attacking my side is only making you look bad", "I'm the one you have to convince, actually, and you're not helping your case", "if you keep carrying on like this I'm simply not going to pay attention to your crazy screaming", "calling people an X is only going to make them ignore you... or X even harder!".

Anyway let me lay it out for you so I hit the good post word count threshold: Posting Isn't Praxis. No one posting on Something Awful, or Twitter, or anywhere, should ever be under the impression that their posts are doing something like convincing the "other side" of a point. That doesn't happen.
Sometimes, in aggregate, enough strong arguments in a particular direction may change someone's (even fundamental) positions on something in conjunction with lived experience, class status, etc. In this sense only the content of the argument matters because that's all that's ever going to be evaluated, distantly, as an afterthought. "I read a post SO GOOD it made me a communist" has never been true in the same way "Everyone was mean to me on the online and it made me become a nazi" has never been true.

I'm at least cognizant of my posting here enough to recognize that I cannot and will not convince you or anyone who is fired up enough to respond to me about how my ideas are bad and I'm a mean toxic bully, but I am posting here to refocus and interrogate my own positions and (hopefully) come out with better and stronger stances and formulations of those stances. I'm writing and arguing, ultimately, for myself -- as we all are -- in the hopes that it will make me stronger where it matters: offline, where I actually do have opportunities to convince people.
It should come as no surprise that my offline conversations about this stuff are vastly different from my online conversations because of the nature of those conversations and the relationships involved, and the fact that it does not behoove me even one single bit to be gentle and kind so the people who want to make excuses for rapists, even if they don't believe that's what they're doing.

No one, on any side here, should ever operate under the delusion that we're trying to convince other posters. We're here to make our arguments, and if my being sardonic or direct makes you uncomfortable that seems like a you problem, not a me problem, and might be a very strong hint that you should honestly and objectively interrogate your own positions on this stuff

Maybe Debate & Discussion isn't the correct subforum for you? It sounds like you care more about being a smug rear end in a top hat than constructively contributing to either debating or discussing.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Kalit
Nov 6, 2006

thehandtruck posted:

Ok I'll play.

We should ignore prosecutorial misconduct in this case because Prosecutorial Misconduct, Ineffective Assistance of Counsel, Brady Violations, Cumulative Error, Your Legal Rights, and the ten thousand other legal mechanisms are not real. They don't exist until the rich need a loophole to get out of jail and continue raping or killing people. There is no reason they should be respected or protected like you've alluded to. Every one of these mechanisms and "rights" (lol) only seem make themselves known when the rich people are in the room.

And in my opinion any "success" you've seen with something relating to procedure or rights (lol) is theatre/propaganda to keep people juuuuuuuuuuuust bought in enough to salute the noble justice system and keep it operating.

edit: Like jfc if you don't look at the mechanism of Prosecutorial Discretion and realize the whole system's made up I don't know what to tell you

I'm a little confused. I'm not trying to further a derail, but are you trying to say that only rich people have their cases/convictions dismissed because of mechanisms such as Brady Violations (/others you listed)? I hope you're being hyperbolic, because that is absolutely not true.

Kalit
Nov 6, 2006

Bishyaler posted:

It might as well be true because your right to counsel is theoretical at best if you can't afford your own representation.

I mean, it definitely makes it an uneven playing field, which is obviously something that needs to be changed. But pretending like only rich people have their charges/convictions dismissed because of prosecutorial misconduct is baffling. For an easy example of someone who, as far as I can tell, is not rich: https://www.oklahoman.com/article/5559050/a-former-oklahoma-death-row-inmate-accepts-settlement-in-32-million-lawsuit

quote:

The 10th U.S. Circuit Court of Appeals overturned their convictions in 2009 after concluding the prosecutor, Brad Miller, had committed misconduct.

The federal appeals court condemned the prosecutor for his "knowing use of false testimony" from the only eyewitness.

The eyewitness, Derrick Smith, identified the two men as the shooters but later said he was too drunk and high to identify anyone. The two men were freed in October 2009 when new prosecutors opted not to retry them because of Smith's conflicting versions.

Kalit fucked around with this message at 17:31 on Jul 6, 2021

Kalit
Nov 6, 2006

Bishyaler posted:

Your example is a man who spent 16 years of his life in prison. Cosby spent 3.

I'm not comparing it to Cosby. I'm addressing the claim of

thehandtruck posted:

We should ignore prosecutorial misconduct in this case because Prosecutorial Misconduct, Ineffective Assistance of Counsel, Brady Violations, Cumulative Error, Your Legal Rights, and the ten thousand other legal mechanisms are not real. They don't exist until the rich need a loophole to get out of jail and continue raping or killing people. There is no reason they should be respected or protected like you've alluded to. Every one of these mechanisms and "rights" (lol) only seem make themselves known when the rich people are in the room.

Which is a baffling claim to me. Which is why I was asking about clarification regarding it if they were being hyperbolic or actually thought this is 100% true.

Kalit
Nov 6, 2006

thehandtruck posted:

Why did you crop out the part of my post that answers your question

E: I had left it in my original reply to you. But nevermind, you had answered it and I responded poorly(/rhetorically) to it.

Kalit fucked around with this message at 20:03 on Jul 6, 2021

Kalit
Nov 6, 2006

Harold Fjord posted:

Individual anecdotes are not evidence against systematic issues. You have both been around here way past long enough to know that

No need to make up arguments. No one is saying that rich people don't have an immense advantage in our judicial system (i.e. the systemic issue). However, people are claiming that the judicial system never favors a poor defendant (such as "This whole situation could never even happen to a poor defendant").

Kalit fucked around with this message at 19:13 on Jul 7, 2021

Kalit
Nov 6, 2006

Timeless Appeal posted:

Biden has touched people inappropriately and is obviously a hypocrite EVEN if you don't believe Tara Reade.

But also maybe not post an image that can easily be out of context posted by a guy who seems to be a fascist prick based on everything else on his twitter.

Here's the full video clip, for additional context. Still not any better. Why can't old men just loving keep their hands off of people?
https://twitter.com/therecount/status/1423397114047082497
But yea, posting a still from a random twitter account doesn't seem like a great thing overall. Especially from a self-described reactionary.

Kalit fucked around with this message at 15:14 on Aug 6, 2021

Kalit
Nov 6, 2006

E: Ignore this post, I was being a petty rear end in a top hat. Sorry, lib and let die.

Kalit fucked around with this message at 17:50 on Aug 6, 2021

Kalit
Nov 6, 2006

Terminal autist posted:

Not to make light or dismiss the allegations against Dore but I'd love to know the moral calculus you used if you voted for Biden(which I am assuming)

I definitely don't love Biden, I begrudgingly voted for him in the general election

Kalit
Nov 6, 2006

Lib and let die posted:

I think that no one that wasn't in that room 10 or so years ago or whatever really knows what happened.

What I do know, is that the TYT "newsroom" environment ten years ago isn't the same as the TYT "newsroom" environment today. It's like trying to compare Howard Stern to Keith Olbermann - it's just not the same content aimed at the same demographic.

FWIW, I do think Jimmy's comment was inappropriate, I think it was inappropriate when he made it, and I think it'd be inappropriate in any newsroom - hell any environment today. Jimmy absolutely owed Ana the apology he gave her.

For me, the issue is with motivation. If there wasn't a direct message history of Ana flat-out threatening to go public unless Jimmy stopped criticizing TYT, I would almost certainly find myself on the other side of this divide. Hell, I'm willing to even give Ana the benefit of "she sent a message she shouldn't have in a moment of anger/emotion/drunkenness" because, well, whom amongst us?

But she made the deliberate signal that she was going to dig this issue up again, publicly, and use it to "crush" him unless Jimmy stopped criticizing her and TYT for their lack of journalistic integrity.

I'd even be all for a formal investigation into the issue, Cuomo style! At least then we'd have something other than twitter fueds and youtube clout chasing to try and form an informed opinion with! As it is, we have two independent media outlets fighting it out with each other in nowhere but the court of public opinion, with their own organizational biases informing their own reporting on the issue.

Thank you for the answer, even if I disagree with it, and sorry for pushing on this so much. I did edit my post and was just going to drop it, since I was being a petty rear end in a top hat as Terminal autist pointed out.

Kalit
Nov 6, 2006

the_steve posted:

https://twitter.com/TheAVClub/status/1424902207472734208?s=19

In news that will surprise literally nobody...

Though I am...not sure of the right word, amused feels wrong...about them using the "We can't be pedos because we always joked about and marketed ourselves as pedos!" defense.

Ahhhh, the Louis C.K. defense.

TBH, I never paid much attention to their lyrics/them as people. But I always thought they were a terrible band, even since I was a kid and loved anything heavy. Glad I predicted their lovely-ness from their music alone.

Kalit fucked around with this message at 04:53 on Aug 10, 2021

Kalit
Nov 6, 2006

Famethrowa posted:

I don't mean to pick on you specifically, but this kind of post hoc "guess I was right! :smug:" really bugs me. part of "me too" is that most predators hide in plain sight, and most are successful predators by being really charming and sliding through life. doing this little dance when someone who was shady and weird gets caught only seems to obfuscate the real predators sliding on through.

Sorry if you felt me making a snide comment about a band made you interpret my post as that way. I absolutely know that predators/rapists are everywhere.

I quickly learned that back when I was a teenager from how pervasive it is in the hardcore/punk scenes, even if that band sang against rape culture. There's a lot of bands that I really liked that I stopped liking when member(s) being a predator/sexual assaulter/rapist came out. As an FYI, I only used this as an example simply because that's what I was most familiar with, not because I think it's any worse than other subcultures.

E: I guess I just felt like my comment wasn't much more insensitive than the comment I was replying to, sorry if I was wrong in that assessment.

Kalit fucked around with this message at 15:44 on Aug 10, 2021

Kalit
Nov 6, 2006

Doloen posted:

https://twitter.com/cnnbrk/status/1467258845646962690

I'm honestly a bit surprised by this. CNN has made the worst decision so often for so long I didn't think it would happen.

:stare: poo poo, I'm honestly surprised by this too. Good job, CNN?? It feels so weird typing those words....

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kalit
Nov 6, 2006

Wheeljack posted:

Could be CNN wanted to have an ironclad legal reason to fire him to avoid a lawsuit, could be they just waited till the weekend to reduce the coverage of it some.

I mean.. they're a private company. Couldn't they pretty much just say "we don't want you anymore"?