Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things

rare Magic card l00k posted:

If sexual impropriety was a deal breaker, Clinton wouldn't have been the nominee in 2016 due to her husband's actions.

2016 was a very different time. I was raped in 2003 and I only felt comfortable even talking to people close to me once the whole MeToo conversation got going. Everything felt like it was moving in a good direction for a minute there :( Like my grandma and my aunts - we all talked about things that had happened to us through out our lives and it was a really good moment.

Talking about it before was treated as very uncouth and always presented as your own fault. Things that Bill Clinton probably did and then the things Hillary did to shut down rape victims was all par for the course.

silicone thrills fucked around with this message at 04:50 on Feb 8, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things

rare Magic card l00k posted:

It's really loving horrifying to hear that happened to you, and I'm glad there was a period of time where you felt a little better about talking to people about it.

We might get back there eventually, maybe?

Hopefully. It's hard to have this conversation with out acknowledging how much sweeping the whole thing under the rug - whether you believe it not - was hurtful to a lot of people.

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things
It's pretty relevant that Tara Reade was turned down by an organization for help with the case, purely because Biden was running for higher office. I read this article when it came out and I was particularly furious.

I pretty much felt pretty solidly that anyone who saw this at the time had a responsibility to stop supporting Biden in any way since apparently his possible victim wasn't allowed to seek any real redress.

https://theintercept.com/2020/03/24/joe-biden-metoo-times-up/

quote:

“As a nonprofit 501(c)(3) charitable organization, the National Women’s Law Center is restricted in how it can spend its funds, including restrictions that pertain to candidates running for election,” Patrick responded, when asked why the organizing declined to provide funds to Reade.

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things

Sodomy Hussein posted:

This isn't C-SPAM.

Could you not? This is why productive conversations go to hell. Treating "the other forum" as lesser is childish.

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things

Grouchio posted:

I believe that Reade was sexually harassed in the distant past but not sexually assaulted like with Ford. There would've been more credence to her larger claim had she not decided RT to be her main outlet, and had she not begun actively supporting Putin before 2020.
That is my stance.

RT wasn't her main outlet though ??? Like that came much later.

Also If you were raped by a very powerful person and went to every outlet in the US and everyone turned you down, what other choice do you have? Just pretend it never happened?

Also I can't believe I even have to say this but we know for a fact that powerful people in this country have literally done catch and kills on stories for years.

silicone thrills fucked around with this message at 17:21 on Feb 8, 2021

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things
It should have been disqualifying because she talked about it before the primaries were even under way. He should have literally just not been in the presidential primary field.

I feel like at this point now we are just going to have a Clarence Thomas situation. Someone who I think most of us are fairly certain sexually assaulted a woman and still ends up continuing to be one of the most powerful people on our government. And I don't know about you all, that erodes all faith I have in the government. Not that I had much in the first place but its another reminder that we are collectively OK with this a as a country.

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things
As a sort of tack on to all of this - Do we know now if this made things better or worse in terms of transparency?

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-usa-congress-harassment/congress-passes-bill-to-make-members-pay-sexual-misconduct-claims-idUSKBN1OC2V0

I assume worse?

more context:

https://thehill.com/homenews/senate/416483-former-staffers-push-congress-for-action-on-sexual-harassment-measure

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things

Grouchio posted:

Fixed. Whoops.

I feel like you are just trolling this thread at this point.

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things

Yinlock posted:

Why is this relevant in the first place though

Because character assassination is the number one way to silence sexual assault victims?

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things

indiscriminately posted:

What I wrote is that emotion is appropriate, aggression is inappropriate.

Maybe thing about it this way:

When you see "they were no angel" articles after a cop shoots or kills someone who was just selling a cigarette or walking out of a store - does it make you angry? It does for most reasonable people.

I get angry as hell when people "they were no angel" victims of sexual assault as well. Bringing up something she did or didn't do 20 years after the fact that absolutely NOTHING to do with the her statement that she was sexually assaulted.

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things
I think people absolving themselves of any culpability because "oops its late stage capitalism!" is a mistake and a big part of where we are right now as a society.

I don't personally see supporting Biden as any different than continuing to buy Bill Cosby's comedy shows after women had started coming forward. You are knowingly supporting someone, whether it be giving them power or money or essentially both since money is power, who clearly hurt people. Even if you don't entirely believe Reade, at least 8 other women made it clear that he has violated personal boundaries in ways that made them uncomfortable for years.

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things
I voted 3rd party because I personally believe when you vote for someone you are voting for them and endorsing them and their actions. You are saying "I believe this person is the right person to lead this country because their views align with my own and I endorse their actions" and alot of people clearly don't have that view. Which is fine I suppose but its not something I can personally square with.

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things

DoomTrainPhD posted:

What's even shittier is the Dems forcing sexual assault victims to vote for a person who is a sex-pest, that's an INCREDIBLY lovely thing for the Dems to do.

This is what ultimately makes me wish the party would burn and is a big reason I will never donate another dime or any more of my time to it ever again.

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things
The party itself should not have put people in that position. Simple as that. There was 100% an option for them to say "hey this guy isn't going to be allowed to run under our banner" and be done with it but the DNC never did. Higher ups in the party could have said "we anti endorse this person" but they did not. Instead they chose to mentally abuse people / whip them into voting for someone who is a deeply awful human being for alot of reasons.

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things
Im not angry at individuals who felt like they had to vote for Joe Biden.

I'm angry that we have a party that forced this into being.

I am angry at individuals who continue to act as if we need to support him or give him an iota of respect or allowance. I will not give him a break. I will not stop hammering him. I will not stop hammering the party.

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things
I get pretty upset when people imply that being upset about Bidens treatment of women is "weaponizing" sexual assault.
I get really upset when people imply that those of us who are upset about it are all using it as some sort of cudgel against a political enemy.

It's not. Me and everyone that I know that bring this up? It is genuine. I genuinely get nauseated when I think about him in power. I genuinely am worried about the women around him. I am genuinely sickened by his behavior.

There's been a habit of some people to imply that this is not genuine and I wish it would stop.

edit: On the record - I think Assange should absolutely be tried for his sexual crimes. I absolutely do not think that should be mixed up with his status with the US and work to expose corruption with in the government. I wish Sweden would have actually taken his sex crimes seriously.

silicone thrills fucked around with this message at 22:47 on Feb 8, 2021

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things

SpiritOfLenin posted:

People are not talking about you, or people like you in those cases though - they are talking about the very specific people who rather obviously disbelieve accusations against someone on "their" team, the ones Slow News Day posted about. Sometimes you are going to have allies that are horrid shitheads, and this is true of every single thing in existence. Pointing them out is not an attack on you.

It's not just me. or a few people. I've seen almost every attempt to bring this up called out as weaponizing it. The discussion was shut down constantly especially during the primary.

edit: I'm very happy about the this thread and im glad it got made because its about time we have an real even discussion about this with out mods shutting it down immediately. Im sad we didnt have this during the primary when it could have made a real difference instead of constantly being shut down.

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things

Blue Footed Booby posted:

Difference to what? This isn't a sarcastic question. Do you mean to discussion? The state of the forums? The country?

Mostly how I felt towards the whole of D&D during that time. I felt like the entirety of D&D was laughing and making GBS threads on sexual violence victims and given I came from being a D&D poster not long before that, it made me fairly bitter towards the whole subforum and it made me lose alot of faith in politics in general. It kicked me into depression pretty hard which is like. yeah I know im broke brained for spending so much time on a forum but that's just me. I had really bad clinical depression and had it treated and am much better now.

I really don't think folks get how personal it is to watch someone like Reade get thrown under the bus. There was a whole period where people were like "I dont believe her because she doesn't remember what day it was! Or if it was on the stairs or an alcove" and for me that was personal - I had blocked out most of my sexual assault. I literally had to google the event I was at to remember what the month and week was of it.

silicone thrills fucked around with this message at 23:07 on Feb 8, 2021

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things
Thanks! Like I said, this thread is good and i'm glad it was made.

I think one way people can do a better job going forward is to not automatically try to discredit the source. I believe it was last week there was some new info and the automatic response was to discredit the that it had also been hosted on RT along with many other outlets and that sort of knee jerk reaction really needs to go. That goes for any sexual assault victim. It all needs to be treated and taken seriously and pushed for having a real investigation.

I am not sure how we can fix the DNC going forward. Obviously what all happened was unacceptable.

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things
I dont think its an unreasonable statement to say "gently caress any person who escapes sexual assault scrutiny/allegations because of their power, job, money etc"

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things

Jaxyon posted:

I was under the impression that Joe Biden is actually pretty personable to those around him, and about as far from Trump as you can get.

I'm not naive, I assume that every politician no matter how evil is putting on a character. But my understanding was that he had a better in-person game.

He's very nice until you disagree with him. See the "dog faced pony soldier" incident. Or any of the times he has threatened to fight people.

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things
Never forget - Chris Coons literally wrote an op ed to say his daughter definitely wasnt creeped out.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/post-politics/wp/2015/01/11/coons-my-daughter-doesnt-think-joe-biden-is-creepy/

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things
Other than him stepping down, I dont know what else there is.

It feels incredibly lovely that the US just accepts sex monsters as leaders. But it isnt like this is a new thing.

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things
I wasn't old enough to remember the first Clinton election. Was his sex allegation stuff brought up at the time?

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things

DoomTrainPhD posted:

Yeah, the republicans will win., because surprise surprise, the Dems are already walking back on:
- Minimum wage
- college loan forgiveness
- $2000 stimulus checks

They are already ramping up to act like the Obama administration which lead to Trump, much like Carter lead to Regan and Clinton led to Bush. Centrism always disenfranchises the voters into voting for the other party.

Or honestly just not voting at all because whats the point? Like seriously, not to sound doomer but if one party is offering you runny dog poo poo and the other is offering you stinky cat poo poo then why bother? At the presidential level anyway. Like clearly I volunteer on campaigns and I put my time in and make a huge effort but my entire adult life worth of presidents have been absolutely awful human beings. I've voted in every single election and i've volunteered in the primary for almost every primary I could and I dont feel better for it. As I get older and watch these sexual predators get to continue being shitheads in power just because "well the other guy is a worse sexual predator" all I can do is scream PICK NEITHER SEXUAL PREDATOR HOW loving HARD IS THAT but I cant blame people for not voting when 500,000 votes got thrown out in this last primary and an insanely high amount for the 2016 primary too.

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things

How are u posted:

The May 2020 polling I posted just a little earlier showed, in the Party crosstabs, that about 20% of Democrats reported they though the allegations were true, while 55% actively did not think the allegations were true and 26% said they didn't know. It's not just the donors, most Democrats either didn't believe her or didn't know/care, period.

e: I should say: according to this data from this snapshot in time, May 2020. I would really love to see new polling on the issue.

I assume new polling would look worse for Tara Reade because of the smear job that has been so thoroughly conducted against her. RUSSIA RUSSIA RUSSIA!!!!

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things
I do remember watching the Lewinsky stuff. My parents were hardcore republicans and it was one of the things that initially formed my opinions - which unfortunately at the time as an 8 or 9 year old girl was "wow who cares, they're both adults" and it wasn't until I was in my early 20s that I was like "holy loving poo poo that power imbalance, how hosed up was that"

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things

Willa Rogers posted:

One of the things I've thought about is how Dem sexual abuse & harassment is usually only covered by rightwing media, which makes it easy for liberals to dismiss such news as "Another rightwing smear job by a discredited hack outlet. :rolleyes: "

If it's deemed big enough--ie, Lewinsky--and the media can't ignore it, then it's time to discredit by smearing the accuser. Otoh, if it's the way Biden ignored the physical boundaries & autonomy of young girls & women it's easy for corporate media to brush it off as james o'keefe-ish editing tricks bc until the past year that behavior was only covered by rightwing outlets--but that doesn't make Biden's behavior any more acceptable, and then the sourcing becomes the story more than the underlying news. (And such a tactic is p. effective, as we see itt when the behavior is shrugged off as "creepy grandpa stuff.")

I haven't yet read the dnd thread on reliable media sourcing, but this media dynamic is why I'm a bit squicked out at Dems' eagerness to censor & de-platform rightwing sources; I wonder if that eagerness isn't at least partly due to a Dem ideal of marginalizing & shutting out news that is damaging to members of the party.

I have no idea whether the flip side is true--I imagine it's done by the GOP as well, but I don't read rightwing media. Ultimately I really don't want Jack Dorsey determining that certain stories are injurious to his ideals of democracy, as happened with the Hunter Biden coverage in the NY Post, because the next time a Dem politician rapes someone, and only outlets like the NY Post are covering it, it'll become even easier for liberals to squelch & dismiss the news.

And this also ties in with the Me Too eruption of media scandals post-Weinstein; beloved liberal media figures like Matt Lauer, Charlie Rose, Glenn Thrush and John Hockenberry and lesser-known-but-influential names like the head of NPR's news division, Michael Oreskes, were all found to be harassers & rapists.

If liberal-media ranks are filled with sex pests & rapists, how reliably will they cover Dem sex pests & rapists, especially when it's politically inconvenient, as in 2020? And if rightwing media are the only ones amplifying news about Dem rapists, does shutting them out of social media & censoring such news (as well as amplifying non-news like Bernie's imaginary hatred of women intuited through his body language, as someone mentioned upthread) serve our political process or further destroy it?

Don't forget the Prairie Home Companion guy even got outed.

Meanwhile a ton of centrists are now super mad that Al Franken resigned over "only being distasteful and hoverhanding a woman's breasts while she slept" meanwhile im just like "good on him for actually resigning" because its one of the only things that redeems him imo.

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things

Willa Rogers posted:

Yeah, I forgot to include Keillor, but when I found this list of those who'd been outed by Me Too I couldn't bring myself to read the entire list. :sweatdrop:

Another thing I thought of after posting was how the Mass. Dems smeared Alex Morse last year as a sexpest, just entirely making that poo poo up out of whole cloth, which is yet another reason I'm not keen on allowing liberal outlets to make judgment calls on censorship & de-platforming: They will go after leftists as vociferously as they'll go after the right--and in some cases, they'll go even further with leftists, as in Mass. and as when they amplified Warren's bullshit about Bernie--when the trad Dems are threatened.

What's hosed is I'm still running into people who claim Alex Morse was in the wrong for ... dating someone who happened to be in college? In an area where like people are in college into their mid 30s because PHDs. Because when it comes down to it that was it. Dems have 100% weaponized MeToo anytime its their enemy but the moment that it was any of their own people it was quietly swept under the rug or outright ignored or fully shut down harshly via smears.

Its impossible for me to look at all these incidents as a whole and ever trust the dems in power ever again.

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things
For the record, I don't think saying - say her name with Tara Reade is a bad thing and it seemed like a really minor ask. People getting uber defensive over it is weird as hell.

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things
I think one of the issues is that Bidens so old that it isnt like he's going to change any of his behaviors.

Younger folks clearly care alot more now about things like consent and clear communication because thats starting to really be taught in schools and hopefully by parents too. No means no. Not saying anything isnt consent, etc. There's alot less allowance with younger folks to accept bullshit like "what were you wearing" as a legitimate question. Its a whole societal thing. And it was clear when it came down to voting that younger people didn't want Biden but got steamrolled.

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things
Definitely going to be interesting to see how the democratic establishment reactions to Cuomo.

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things

Herstory Begins Now posted:

I don't think he's actually all that popular, but idk I could be wrong

There was a whole contingent of morons branding themselves cuomosexuals back in March

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things
I mean, I thought Joe Biden was a massively unpopular piece of poo poo and he seemed to be until the Onion accidentally made morons think he was just cool diamond Joe. I've got no faith in how far the party will go to protect sex monsters.

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things
I cant decide if "sorry you took my sexual harassment the wrong way" is better or worse than "I literally dont remember you"

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things
In Twitter jail for saying I'd slap anyone who touched my face with out my permission. Apparently old Italian men grabbing women's faces is totally normal and acceptable behavior.

Good to know that's how this is going again. There's a wall of people saying cuomos behavior is totally fine and "we can't let him get Al Frankened"

I got Twitter jailed for saying it Biden did his weird face touch thing to me that he constantly does I'd do the same thing like 2 years ago and here it is again. Apparently women defending themselves from unwanted touching just isn't allowed.

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things
I think the watching how the Cuomo poo poo plays out is pretty relevant when we talk about "how do we move forward" and how politicians who clearly dont respect peoples boundaries in general are treated in the future.

I feel like if the dems dont shove Cuomo out the door they clearly learned nothing and will never be able to be trusted as a party

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things
Looks like Cuomo just put out a statement that he'll never resign so it's now clearly up to the state democrats in power to actually impeach him.

Lets see how this plays out, Cotton.

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things
I love that Matt Lauer keeps hovering on the edges of things ready to come back. EVEN THOUGH HE HAD A loving SLAMMING DOOR LOCK ON HIS DESK TO TRAP WOMEN IN HIS DRESSING ROOM WITH HIM

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things
Look, this is all a Russian op to get Cuomo out so NY can get a governor friendly enough to Trump to pardon him.

/bigbrains