Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

xcheopis
Jul 23, 2003

comedyblissoption posted:

The democrats actually did try to coalesce around anyone else that were not the 3 candidates joe rogan was willing to invite onto his show. They tried to push kamala, klobuchar, buttigieg, and the rest of the clown car hard and all of them failed. I think it was CNN that had multiple post-audience panels with a majority saying klob won every debate.

The result was utter panic after sanders sweeped the first 3 states, unprecedented for a candidate. These circumstances forced them to push the candidate who announced amidst a bunch of sexual harassment allegations, joked about inappropriately touching a bunch of women and children, and required the entire democrat-aligned media to smear his public sexual assault victim as a warning to anyone else. Their priorities are very clear.

I'm sure your intention was good when you wrote this but it comes across as dehumanizing. Her name is Tara Reade and she can be referred to directly. Maybe say her name and add the other bit as a paranthetical?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

xcheopis
Jul 23, 2003

Ytlaya posted:

Remembering the way Democrats responded to Clinton really puts the lie to the idea that the average Democratic voter is significantly less awful than Republican voters. For anyone old enough to remember, the average liberal take was that no one should care about the President's personal life and that Lewinsky was actually a temptress slut. Hell, I'd wager that most older Democrats would still agree with this take.

I've always felt extremely bad for Lewinsky. Just everything that's bad about the Tara Reade situation, except even worse due to how well-known it was. At least with Reade there's a "faction" of people who believe and support her, but I remember Democratic hate towards Lewinsky being drat near universal.

Many women supported both Lewinsky and Hill.

xcheopis
Jul 23, 2003

Insanite posted:

Clinton's approval among women was higher after impeachment than before, IIRC.

That doesn't mean no one supported Lewinsky.

xcheopis
Jul 23, 2003

some plague rats posted:

This really seems like extremely nitpicky and unhelpful point scoring rather than any kind of sincere attempt to actually grant Reade some dignity or recognition, maybe leave it out?

I don't consider sexual assault a game.

xcheopis
Jul 23, 2003

Pentecoastal Elites posted:

This really isn't the thread to try out a gross bit like this.

Not doing a bit. I've been raped, more than once, and this dehumanizing language is demeaning. You can pile the anger and hate on Biden and also have compassion for Tara.
Accusing me of trying out a bit over being asked to consider your words before posting is, at best, tone deaf and ignorant of how all victims of sexual assault are treated whenever they speak up.

xcheopis
Jul 23, 2003

Willa Rogers posted:

One of the things I've thought about is how Dem sexual abuse & harassment is usually only covered by rightwing media, which makes it easy for liberals to dismiss such news as "Another rightwing smear job by a discredited hack outlet. :rolleyes: "

If it's deemed big enough--ie, Lewinsky--and the media can't ignore it, then it's time to discredit by smearing the accuser. Otoh, if it's the way Biden ignored the physical boundaries & autonomy of young girls & women it's easy for corporate media to brush it off as james o'keefe-ish editing tricks bc until the past year that behavior was only covered by rightwing outlets--but that doesn't make Biden's behavior any more acceptable, and then the sourcing becomes the story more than the underlying news. (And such a tactic is p. effective, as we see itt when the behavior is shrugged off as "creepy grandpa stuff.")

I haven't yet read the dnd thread on reliable media sourcing, but this media dynamic is why I'm a bit squicked out at Dems' eagerness to censor & de-platform rightwing sources; I wonder if that eagerness isn't at least partly due to a Dem ideal of marginalizing & shutting out news that is damaging to members of the party.

I have no idea whether the flip side is true--I imagine it's done by the GOP as well, but I don't read rightwing media. Ultimately I really don't want Jack Dorsey determining that certain stories are injurious to his ideals of democracy, as happened with the Hunter Biden coverage in the NY Post, because the next time a Dem politician rapes someone, and only outlets like the NY Post are covering it, it'll become even easier for liberals to squelch & dismiss the news.

And this also ties in with the Me Too eruption of media scandals post-Weinstein; beloved liberal media figures like Matt Lauer, Charlie Rose, Glenn Thrush and John Hockenberry and lesser-known-but-influential names like the head of NPR's news division, Michael Oreskes, were all found to be harassers & rapists.

If liberal-media ranks are filled with sex pests & rapists, how reliably will they cover Dem sex pests & rapists, especially when it's politically inconvenient, as in 2020? And if rightwing media are the only ones amplifying news about Dem rapists, does shutting them out of social media & censoring such news (as well as amplifying non-news like Bernie's imaginary hatred of women intuited through his body language, as someone mentioned upthread) serve our political process or further destroy it?

One of the (many) spectacularly awful things in treatment of Lewinsky is that she isn't the person who made the accusations and didn't know Tripp was recording their conversations.

xcheopis
Jul 23, 2003

A rhetorical choice made specifically to tie a rapist to his crime within the context of specifically talking about Tara Reade -- literally in the middle of the conversation about her -- and more specifically drawing the distinction that she, Tara Reade, is merely the most public victim of said rapist by using those words is, I'm sorry, not that big of a deal in the midst of the entire democratic apparatus and, moreover, posters ITT trying to claim Reade is lying, or it doesn't matter, or it's not worth talking about.

You popping into this thread to call out that little detail, outside of context, reads as really disgusting hard-right trolling, even if that doesn't describe you or you didn't intend for your comments to be read that way. Context matters, in both what you're posting and the posts you're responding to.

The ones making this "a big deal" are the ones upset over a small request to consider their language. Why does that upset you so much?

xcheopis
Jul 23, 2003

silicone thrills posted:

Don't forget the Prairie Home Companion guy even got outed.

Meanwhile a ton of centrists are now super mad that Al Franken resigned over "only being distasteful and hoverhanding a woman's breasts while she slept" meanwhile im just like "good on him for actually resigning" because its one of the only things that redeems him imo.

I was also surprised and pleased he resigned. People do change and their thoughts and opinions evolve.

xcheopis
Jul 23, 2003

Because it is a profoundly unfair reading and a total refusal to contextualize a good point about how an entire political body worked overtime to smear Tara Reade in order to protect the man who raped her, who is now literally the most powerful man on the planet. This being the thing you wanted to call out specifically instead of, say, the people in this thread who have been probated for calling Reade a liar and/or a Russian agent and are doing it again here reads, at best, as worthless woke positioning to derail the conversation and is indistinguishable from far-right parody, which is what multiple people (the people who are most vociferously calling out the Democrats' hideous treatment of Tara Reade) thought you were doing.

Hard to imagine a better way to shut down an otherwise good-faith conversation about rape and political power structures than by policing extremely minor rhetorical choices. You should probably at least recognize that, even if you don't think you did anything wrong here.

How hard was it to just scroll on by?

edit: I don't know how many other women are posting/reading this thread. Personally, having been through many of these conversations with leftist men (and some women!) in my life, I have a lot of hesitancy in believing any man will have a "good-faith conversation" about sexual harassment and assault. My confidence that such a thing is possible will coincide with the Left being a lot more active in dealing with these specific crimes within their own circles.

xcheopis fucked around with this message at 20:10 on Feb 20, 2021

xcheopis
Jul 23, 2003

Willa Rogers posted:

I'm p. sure that Franken resigned bc other Dem pols, like Gillibrand, were calling for a (public) Congressional inquiry into his behavior. Remember: Prior to Me Too, Congress buried complaints about harassment by its members with its secret tribunals.

Far better to be seen as doing "the honorable thing" of resigning, then rehabbing your image so that your behavior goes down the memory hole as "a rightwing smear job based on a rightie pretending that Franken harassed her"--a take I saw only yesterday on a popular liberal forum, and a take that simply ignores the other women who came out about Franken harassing them.
Very true.

xcheopis
Jul 23, 2003

I think what they did has a far more chilling effect on earnest discussions of rape and rape culture than the thing they were complaining about, to the extent that multiple posters thought they were a sick gimmick or something at first blush. That seems more "toxic" to me than my recognizing it.

This is becoming a derail so this'll be my last post on the subject, but anyone, no matter who they are and what has happened to them, intentionally or unintentionally, can be a malign influence on these (in my opinion very necessary) conversations.

Your responses have come across as "caring" about rape victims only in the abstract and not the actual human to whom you are responding.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

xcheopis
Jul 23, 2003

silicone thrills posted:

What's hosed is I'm still running into people who claim Alex Morse was in the wrong for ... dating someone who happened to be in college? In an area where like people are in college into their mid 30s because PHDs. Because when it comes down to it that was it. Dems have 100% weaponized MeToo anytime its their enemy but the moment that it was any of their own people it was quietly swept under the rug or outright ignored or fully shut down harshly via smears.

Its impossible for me to look at all these incidents as a whole and ever trust the dems in power ever again.

And also get our own house in order.

xcheopis
Jul 23, 2003

some plague rats posted:

Oh good, it's that point in the thread where we all have to specify how many times we've been sexually assaulted to decide who's allowed to set the terms of the conversation, that's always a hoot for everyone!

Good-faith conversation until even a single sexual assault victim gently asks that posters think about what they are saying before posting.

xcheopis
Jul 23, 2003

some plague rats posted:

You're not the only one here that applies to and its lovely to use it to make yourself the arbiter of the conversation as though only yours matters and the rest of us are somehow being victims incorrectly for disagreeing with you

I haven't done any such thing. I made one small request that no one has to abide by and now you're losing your poo poo over it.

xcheopis
Jul 23, 2003

some plague rats posted:

e: missed your edit, Willa

Is that an honest assessment of what you think I was trying to do?

I was not intending to start a big derail with my original post, but the jump to "people are disagreeing with me, must be men who refuse to take sexual assault seriously" really gets my blood up. It's a cheap,lovely tactic and I'm pretty sure I actually posted in this thread or maybe the last one about how much I hate the whole idea that in conversations like this we all have to list our identities and experiences of trauma to be taken seriously at all.

Yeah, it would be bad if someone had done that.

xcheopis
Jul 23, 2003

I have been sexually assaulted and don't think that has any bearing on what you said or what I said and I loving hate even mentioning it anywhere, much less online, and I don't think I ever have on something awful before but here we are. I, as a sexual assault victim, thought what you did was lovely and have seen those exact tactics shut down conversations before and that has when it has happened, and as it happens now, make me, a sexual assault victim, feel like poo poo. I must stress again that when you smoked on in here people immediately thought you were trolling the thread. It made me, a sexual assault victim, feel disgusted because I, again, have seen those exact tactics shut up a room because everyone gets worried that they're not using the correct language or they might get into a fight with someone because their specific words are being scrutinized instead of the content of what they're trying to say. I guess that counts as "losing my poo poo over it"! and I should have just ignored it and moved on. Boy, I've never ever, ever, heard that sentiment in response to an earnest challenge from someone who has been sexually assaulted themselves!

I think what you did was wrong even if it was done in good faith and I don't think me or you being victims of sexual assault has anything to do with it other than it, and your bizarre defensive posturing and making the assumption I only care about
people who have been raped as some sort of abstract locus of argumentation has ruined my morning. gently caress you.

I hope I have sufficiently expressed my own extremely painful and uncomfortable history to satisfy you so you can no longer dismiss me as a rape culture enabler or whatever.

And here you are critiquing my use of language. My feelings are just as valid as yours. Painting a really minor comment on the language used about and at rape victims as only being a right-wing tactic is also pretty lovely.

Like, not all of us are going to have the same reactions and triggers and you accused me of being a right-wing troll because I asked that others consider how they talk about us.

xcheopis fucked around with this message at 21:48 on Feb 20, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

xcheopis
Jul 23, 2003

Still Dismal posted:

I mean sure, all of this is true. But to pretend that this kind of motivated reasoning, tribalism, whatever you want to call, is exclusive to people with that specific set of political preferences is pretty lol. It's present in literally every political tendency, yes, very much including leftists. I personally know someone who was all about the Tara Reade allegations, saying that they were disqualifying, etc. then turned around and called the allegations against Shahid Buttar (DSA guy who tried to primary Nancy Pelosi from the left, got accused of sexual harassment by a bunch of female volunteers on his campaign) "weaponized white feminism". This is a universal human tendency. People who share your beliefs and allegiances aren't solely deciding their loyalties based on piercing moral vision and careful analysis of the facts either.

As well as what happened with DSA-LA.