Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ardennes
May 12, 2002

Reality Protester posted:

we need a president who is gay, and loving jacked. no twink boiz. we need Pavel Petel.

Well "needed", he got crushed under a truck outside of Moscow last year.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ardennes
May 12, 2002
So basically, the Dems big accomplishment was passing a medium-sized (for the COVID era) stimulus bill with some extra subsidies on the side?

From what I saw pretty much that most of the subsidies would sunset either in a few months or by the end of the year, and otherwise there doesn't really seem to be any permanent changes. Even something like "15% higher spending on food stamps" is only going to last a couple of months.

Also, that child tax credit is only being expanded from $2000 to $3000-3600, it is only an extra $1000-1600 per child for a single year. All of this is just temporary spending and is at arguably compromised by the other cuts made.

Ardennes has issued a correction as of 23:06 on Mar 6, 2021

Ardennes
May 12, 2002
The perfect timing for a deficit/austerity bill would be just after midterms.

Ardennes
May 12, 2002

Paradoxish posted:

Yeah, but the expansion is only for a year, so it's essentially a one-time payment of $1600 plus a change that provides the benefits monthly instead of yearly.

It's obviously a good thing for parents, but it's also a really great example of liberals obsessing over data and microtargeting benefits to pad out their metrics. Something like this is perfect because the outcome is pre-determined. You have data that says x number of children are in poverty. You can use that same data to say that a payment of y dollars per month to their parents will move them above that threshold, so that's what you do.

Also laughing extremely hard at the idea that an extra ~$130/month will encourage parents to not seek employment.

Btw, it is $1000-1600 depending on age level. So yeah it is more minor than that.

Ardennes
May 12, 2002
Btw the fiscal year starts in September, so we are only spending more than the first 6 months of the pandemic.

Ardennes
May 12, 2002
Yeah, if it isn't glaringly obvious already, it seems any significant changes that Biden is making is generally aimed at competition with China. I would say the Child Tax credit itself was largely spurred in part by the act that the US' fertility rate has dropped significantly and its their way of addressing it.

The New Frontier's act is aimed at the fact that China is rapidly catching up technologically and will probably be able to independently produce most of what it needs in the next 10 years.

A $15 minimum wage/MedicareforAll though isn't on the menu even though both could arguably make the US more competitive in the long-run.

(Also, Obamacare just makes insurance companies so much cash, there is no way they would back away from it.)

Ardennes has issued a correction as of 12:02 on Mar 11, 2021

Ardennes
May 12, 2002

Mr Hootington posted:

Yeah it is interesting. I do think the Sinophobia that is being pushed now is rooted in our nation's zealous need to be anti-communism and trying to create a backlash against a (formerly) emerging American left.

That and the US is clearly falling behind and the beltway has no real plan.

Ardennes
May 12, 2002
Btw, very little of that money is going to go into public transit in either case and even if it did, it is going to little to help the working poor in suburbs who would have to take 3 different buses to get to work.

Admittedly, if we had went in a different direction and hadn’t pushed car culture at all costs, it may have been a different scenario but at this point a further tax on car usage is going to be regressive if not completely unnecessary.

Also let’s be honest the US had print to pay for anything if it wants and pretending that we need taxes to pay for x is just sleight of hand. I mean 3 trillion over 10 years is nothing at this point.

Any time taxes or deficits come up the ultimate answer is: we could just print this.

Ardennes
May 12, 2002
That said, lowering it to 60 may not even be that bad for insurance companies considering that is when serious payouts begin to happen and they would still be making money from Medicare C premiums.

I doubt it would be a route to Medicare for All. If it happens at all.

Ardennes
May 12, 2002
That said, I do think Biden is pushing for some improvements to only the extent that they think it will allow them to some how “beat China.” Granted, as the mileage tax shows, they don’t have a problem with working people paying for it.

Ardennes
May 12, 2002

In Training posted:

isnt the capitol still occupied by the national guard.

The Green Zone is still under guard.

Btw, partisanship isn’t killing us, it is nationalism. Partisanship just makes it impossible for the general population to realize it.

Ardennes
May 12, 2002
Granted, their work is done and the US is screwed.

Ardennes
May 12, 2002
Biden and the Democrats are really tight with national security institutions at this point. I don’t see that changing.

Ardennes
May 12, 2002
Eh, we are in a second cold war, everything is on the table.

Ardennes
May 12, 2002

F Stop Fitzgerald posted:

yeah they are definitely also stupid as gently caress, like when the soviets tricked them into keep sending over more supplies, money, and spies to kill, or the countless idiotic ideas to kill castro

How about the time they convinced the Saudis to crater oil prices in the mid-1980s thus gut-shotting the USSR then and there? There have been massively successful operation despite plenty of screws ups at the same time.

Anyway, isn't a secret deep state or anything, there is very clearly a massive national security-defense apparatus in and around DC and a bunch of NGOs surrounding them out in the open.

Ardennes
May 12, 2002

Organ Fiend posted:

I have bad news for you about the other countries

What is the bad news about countries other than the United States?

Ardennes
May 12, 2002
The only way this is going to work is to have a clear-cut line of what can and can not be allowed. I believe there is a precedent for quoteing in PYF but I would actually like to see that confirmed.

Anyway, the entire reason on-site meta-posting is usually barred is because it becomes a complete mess regardless of the topic.

Ardennes has issued a correction as of 11:56 on Apr 2, 2021

Ardennes
May 12, 2002

Kaedric posted:

Feel like a lot of ML's in this thread are blurring the line on what 'Tankie' means. It does not mean just 'communist'. It refers to that specific breed of online communist who, for example, thinks that China is a proletariat state, or that Kim Jong Un is based because he's 'anti-imperialist'.

So where is the line drawn, between the "good communists" and the "bad communists"? Opinions on imperialism? You got to admit it is a pretty subjective thing. Anything I really think the term "Tankie" just refers to a willingness or not to use violence to achieve ends.

quote:

I think it's dumb as poo poo to equate all communists with tankies, just as I think it's dumb as poo poo to disregard all anarchists just because you found an idiot online who calls himself one (while not actually holding any anarchist beliefs, like Vaush).

I get that the Conquest of Bread is interesting and everything but speaking of violence, how do you actually win the Russian Civil War with it?

Ardennes has issued a correction as of 01:17 on Apr 4, 2021

Ardennes
May 12, 2002

gradenko_2000 posted:

Like when I posted that excerpt of AOC's DSA interview, I cut out the part where the Trotskyist does a weird digression into the origins of the DSA as a left aberration

And I didn't link back to the article because I mean its the WSWS, you don't wanna give them traffic

But the message was clear: AOC sucks

It is just different layers of top of each other.

Ardennes
May 12, 2002

Deified Data posted:

The next dem primary is going to own now that the stress is off and we can just be free to laugh at it

C-Spam is still going to be caught up with it, it is inevitable.

Ardennes
May 12, 2002

spacetoaster posted:

Very excited for the elections in 2022. Will be posting that clip a lot.

On one hand everything is setup for the Democrats to lose at least one chamber in 2022 but on the other hand...you know about C-Spam predictions.

Ardennes
May 12, 2002
I will say this about 2022, China is not going to be weaker on November 6th, 2022 and that’s a factor.

Ardennes
May 12, 2002
The most depressing part of future C-Spam will have to be the “let’s get involved” primary threads.

Ardennes
May 12, 2002
Btw, the entire issue a smoke screen, the US only gets 200b in raw revenue a year from corporate taxes and gives 90% of it back in the form of rebates for pass-throughs. The bill is going to be passed but they want a reason to re-write portions of it.

Ardennes
May 12, 2002

Homora Gaykemi posted:

I love the calm, quiet and dignified way that President Biden says, "F-you" to Trump.

And also to Vietnam.

Ardennes
May 12, 2002
Granted, it wasn’t just Season 8 but everything since towards the end of Season 5.

Stannis setting his daughter on fire specifically. You could tell they had no idea what to do with the characters or their motivations. That is also when Tyrion started to get progressively more dimwitted.

Ardennes has issued a correction as of 01:05 on Apr 18, 2021

Ardennes
May 12, 2002
All of it is bad, just less bad in retrospect. At least with the prequels, Lucas was trying to do something different. It came out third baked but it at least was an attempt.

The third Matrix movie specifically is a blur.

Ardennes
May 12, 2002

hobbesmaster posted:

the prequels are actually really funny, it’s unfortunate the sequels don’t even seem to work at that level because the main cast did everything they could with what they were given

Also, Lucas is clearly both an incompetent director and editor. At best should have thrown some ideas down for the script and should have allowed professionals to do the heavy lifting.

Ardennes
May 12, 2002

Homora Gaykemi posted:

he wanted Spielberg, Zemeckis, or Richie Cunningham to direct Phantom Menace but they turned it down so then it was just him and the yes men at Lucasfilm left

I think at a certain point you just pull someone off the street. I think Lucas realized his limitations to some extent but he couldn’t help himself.

Peter Daou Zen posted:

trying to think of a place to go that will be fine and i cant think of one.

might as well move to italy and embrace full nihilism

mama mia

As long as you have some type of income source, there are worse places to be. I am going back to Russia when it opens up again, I don’t care at this point.

Unless you have kids, if your income doesn’t you to physically be in the US then whatever.

Ardennes has issued a correction as of 02:17 on Apr 18, 2021

Ardennes
May 12, 2002

Raskolnikov38 posted:

when Lucas did this the result was red tails

I think there was more issues than that. A lot of it seemed to be the screenplay..

Also, the prequels probably could have been saved in the editing room.

Ardennes
May 12, 2002

Raskolnikov38 posted:

12 years a slave guy wrote the script

Yeah, it doesn’t mean it was good. If anything a lot of the criticism itself was characterization and dialogue, those are script issues.

Peter Daou Zen posted:

i dont have kids as i am a millennial and we Can't Afford Kids

russia on an american salary might be pretty livable, i heard moscow is one of the most expensive cities in the world tho???

I never thought it was that expensive to be honest. If anything it you got dollars it is one of the cheapest “alpha” cities out there. You can live off like $800 a month even living about 30 minutes from the city center.

Ardennes has issued a correction as of 02:51 on Apr 18, 2021

Ardennes
May 12, 2002

Organ Fiend posted:

An American salary will go a very long way anywhere that isn't Moscow or St Petersburg. Samara is nice.

That said, Russia is going through its own economic crisis right now, so don't go if you were thinking about finding a job there.

If you’re a native speaker of English you can live a middle class lifestyle with almost no effort. I have seen it happen.

Even in Moscow, there is almost no one who is a native speaker of English at this point beyond embassy/corporate staff. Pretty much anyone from a anglophone country is absolutely terrified of ever going there.

Ardennes has issued a correction as of 02:47 on Apr 18, 2021

Ardennes
May 12, 2002

Peter Daou Zen posted:

id probably die of sheer depression in russia

what is life like in russia tho? has america gotten so bad that russian life is preferable if you got a little bit of money?

Depends on the situation, life in Moscow is comparable to living in Western city with much better public transportation and parks than any American city I have been to. There are also plenty of impoverished parts of Russia. I don’t know why you would die of depression beyond I guess realizing that the US completely slandered.the Russians.

I would say the rough thing is still medical care and if you have a serious chronic medical issue, it is perhaps not workable unless you are willing to seriously pay out of pocket.

Ardennes
May 12, 2002

Peter Daou Zen posted:

i dont have any serious medical problems, but the weather in russia doesn't seem favorable. i'm already sad as poo poo here in the winter in the midwest.

no family/no ties to russia would be pretty lonely, that would be the depressing part.

As far as weather goes, I think Moscow is more livable than Chicago and it would perhaps be an even trade for most of the Midwest. As far as family and friends go, it is up to you.

Ardennes
May 12, 2002
In my experience, as long as your flexible, living outside the US is fairly easy. For the most part, people want to like Americans. Most cspammers would probably do fine.

I got to admit, after the pandemic is over, I don’t know if I want to be in the US for a while.

Ardennes
May 12, 2002
Also the big issue in early 1918 was that the remaining SRs wanted to continue fighting the war, which was suicidal at that point.

Ardennes
May 12, 2002
I would say as far as contemporary media goes, i don’t think isn’t possible to write decent fiction without gray areas and that isn’t possible in the increasing Cold War-seque milieu of present day America. There is a reason that comic book films are dominate, it is just cutting to the chase.

Ardennes
May 12, 2002
Yeah the largest party was the right SRs who basically had no structure and couldn’t agree on anything beyond some vague concept of land reform.

Also, yeah the war was a bit of an issue.

Ardennes
May 12, 2002
Granted I would say the more interesting stuff in Moscow isn’t around the Kremlin itself but farther afield. Baumanskaya is one of my favorite raions and almost no tourists make it out there.

Either way it is often possible to live outside the US, especially since it requires basically a laptop at this point. That said, the US is the undisputed champ as far as types of corn based breakfast cereal, soft drinks and chips go. No one else comes close.

mistermojo posted:

lol ok if you actually want to go to Russia you should definitely go to St Petersburg and not Moscow

I got to say it but st.Pete is overrated. It is worth visiting but I wouldn’t skip Moscow for it.

Also Spb has become a bit of a tourist trap in recent years.

——-

As far as Moscow accommodation goes, just get a Airbnb for a short period of time then hammer out a deal with the owner in cash if you want to stay significantly longer. You can often negotiate for market rate if you are willing to haggle.

Also buy random food/drinks from local stores and eat them in the park then take the metro everywhere.

Ardennes has issued a correction as of 15:44 on Apr 18, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ardennes
May 12, 2002

mistermojo posted:

its amazing how much better cities with great public transport and massive open squares without any cars to bother people are. its like a completely different way of life

Yeah it puts a lot in perspective. The US is the oddity. A lot of it is just purposeful but it seriously degrades the quality of life. I mean why would you leave the transit system of your largest economic center (NYC) in such a state? Boston and Philly are no better and DC is still trying to catch up with its issues.

As far as Moscow, I would check out the neighborhoods around the city center. Street life and Nightlife has really improved in recent years. There also isn’t last call. I could go on further but it seems a bit moot considering it is months off.

Oneiros posted:

wow, look at all those benches where homeless people or other undesirables could rest their feet. better rip all those out

London basically had no where to sit unless it was in a pub or cafe.

Ardennes has issued a correction as of 16:07 on Apr 18, 2021