Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Reynold
Feb 14, 2012

Suffer not the unclean to live.
Pretty cool for Ty Gibbs, I saw him win at Gateway in the ARCA series. Too bad for Dinger though, I feel like maybe both he and Cindric weren't giving any ground to each other and he just happened to come out worse.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Reynold
Feb 14, 2012

Yeah I'm pretty happy with every outcome this weekend, it's not too often all three series have a good weekend at once. Daytona road course is dope.

Reynold
Feb 14, 2012

Looks like Santino banged into the wall a couple times too many. RIP.

Reynold
Feb 14, 2012

Boring race, Xfinity and trucks were better imo.

Reynold
Feb 14, 2012

lmao pack it in and head home, everyone, this poo poo isn't happening

Reynold
Feb 14, 2012

You think they're gonna finish this race, or just wreck in the dust over and over again until they call it done?

Reynold
Feb 14, 2012

I thought it was okay. I quit watching with something like 40 laps to go and made dinner, came back to see Logano doing donuts, and was disappointed that we didn't get a Suarez win. It's certainly better than watching a 1.5 mile oval though.

Reynold
Feb 14, 2012

Don't get me wrong, I definitely approve of NASCAR doing different things than years past. Introducing things like this "dirt" race and more road courses is definitely the way to go, and even if I wasn't a huge fan of the outcome, the effort to mix it up a bit is what's important here for me. NASCAR runs a lot of races every year, and I like to keep up with Xfinity and trucks as well as the cup series. Towards the end of the season (often earlier than that) I get pretty drat tired of watching the same cookie cutter 400 mile oval races over and over again. Some of those tracks just don't have any personality, nothing that distinguishes one from the other in any meaningful way.

I keep up with Indycar and F1 as well, and the variances in track layout is such a huge part of what keeps even their longer seasons interesting every weekend. Ovals are cool, but so many of them being so similar kills my enthusiasm. Mix that in with the drivers I like not having good seasons, and I quit paying attention for weeks at a time. Still, all that negativity about the sport aside, this year looks to have more going on than NASCAR has had in quite some time, and I'm optimistic so far.

Reynold
Feb 14, 2012

I like the track, but racing cup cars in those conditions was idiotic. Truex said it all, they were blind driving on the straight just hoping and praying not to hit anyone, which was an extremely stupid and unsafe thing for the race officials to ignore. Even after he ran into someone else, he tried to stay in the gas because he knew the next blind driver behind was gonna hit him too, and sure enough Cole Custer did anyway. They were both loving lucky to hit the barrier exactly where they did, and walk away without injury.

I'm all for racing on road courses and in adverse conditions, but that was loving stupid. Furthermore, gently caress Chase Elliot.

Reynold
Feb 14, 2012

Nit Wit Dog poo poo posted:

So Memorial Day is about hatred? Or anyone that flies an American flag is a bigot? What?

Not too far off the mark there. People who are super vocal about how I AM AN AMERICAN AND A CHRISTIAN AND A PATRIOT are usually hateful sacks of poo poo.

We do enough to suck off the military industrial complex in this country already, waxing poetic about the "brave men and women" (poor people with no prospects who turn to soldiering for college money) who "sacrifice themselves for our freedoms" (get killed on the other side of the planet for corporate interests unrelated to American freedom) is some pretty willful ignorance. You can cheer on Team America if you want to, gently caress knows plenty of people always will no matter what, but it smells like bullshit to me. Every injured veteran I know thinks that joining the military was the dumbest loving thing they ever did. The RAH RAH AMERICA stuff at sporting events gives me some pretty heavy propaganda rally vibes and I hate it. Same thing with Christian invocations before races, really. There is always someone glaring at you if you don't take off your hat and pray to their god with them before the cars go fast, and it's pretty loving creepy.

/rant

Also at this point I would rather drive home from the Indy 500 and watch it again on TV than tune in to the Coke 600 and watch those bricks circulate for 4+ hours. Now that I know Larson won, I won't even bother with the highlights. It's always around this point in the season that I stop paying attention to the cup series it seems, while open wheel stuff is really taking off. I'll probably check out the remaining road courses, despite Chase Elliot. XFINITY and trucks are much more my jam.

Reynold
Feb 14, 2012

Mid-Ohio is dope as gently caress and XFINITY is the best NASCAR series, fight me

Edit: Okay so I forgot about the weirdo pit rules and this is kinda clownshoes, but still cool. My boys at Kaulig doing good, despite AJ's penalty.

Reynold fucked around with this message at 19:52 on Jun 5, 2021

Reynold
Feb 14, 2012

I kinda liked Larson before the whole controversy, but yeah his fans coming out of the woodwork to cry "cancel culture," defend using racial slurs and also we sure hope he wrecks the black driver, heritage not hate etc. really put me off the dude. Hell, despite being a fan of Jeff Gordon when I was a kid, I kind of hate the whole Hendrick Motorsports organization right now. You got Larson with his toxic rear end fanbase, Chase Elliot being spoon fed road courses, and William Byron rolling around in a Liberty University car. About the only respectable driver of the bunch is Bowman, and that might just be because I don't know poo poo about the guy.

At a certain point you've kind of gotta let go of some things to enjoy motorsports. F1 and Indycar are just as good examples of this as NASCAR. There's plenty of organizations that are backed by old school right wing money, or countries that host races which are oppressive, fascist, and violate human rights. I guess not having people around to hoot and holler about it as loudly as NASCAR fans seem to makes it feel less problematic at times.

Reynold
Feb 14, 2012

Denny got dumped because Briscoe did it on purpose. He probably thought Denny was responsible for shoving him into the grass. What a wonderful finish.

Also lol at the 15 dumping oil all around the goddamn track and Kyle Bush forcing him off for it.

Edit: lmao it was James Davison, goddamn that guy cannot stop loving up in the top level of every series he competes in, who sponsors this clown? (lmao it's Skip Barber)

Reynold fucked around with this message at 23:34 on Aug 15, 2021

Reynold
Feb 14, 2012

Pinecone Sample posted:

The dump was on purpose, but did Briscoe know he was a dead man walking or should he have expected to be a dead man walking? I think he didn't because he is dumb, but I think there is a smart argument that he shouldn't have believed he would be.

I don't think it really matters whether or not he knew he was gonna be penalized or just plain thought Denny would pull off the win if he didn't run his rear end over. The 11 was in the way, and they had already traded paint earlier in the lap, it was always gonna be this way.

Reynold
Feb 14, 2012

I've been going to IMS for the Brickyard 400 since they started it in 1994. My dad always took me, but I never really got into NASCAR until much later. He hates the road courses, and was pretty unimpressed to learn that they'd be running the IMS road course instead of the oval this year. After today, he hasn't changed his mind, but did admit that it was a pretty good race. I can definitely remember more boring races than good ones on the oval track, and I'm glad they made the switch.

Reynold
Feb 14, 2012

dennyk posted:

I have to admit that waiting to see who's going to be the first car to blow a right front fifteen laps into each green flag run is definitely not as entertaining as waiting to see who's going to be the first car after each restart to tear their oil pan off jumping over a crumbling sausage curb and wipe out half the field with the resulting oil slick. :v:

It was so drat funny when they pulled that poo poo out from under the curb

Reynold
Feb 14, 2012

Kaulig is lit. Having Chastain and Dinger's wins as my favorite, I'm starting to like Haley and pretty much love seeing the team working together or just doing well individually. Up and coming teams with that kind of trajectory are extremely my poo poo in a sport usually dominated by a handful of top teams. Getting to see A.J. win at the Indy road course in a cup car was awesome as well.

Reynold
Feb 14, 2012

Gragson destroyed the rear of that car doing burnouts lol

Reynold
Feb 14, 2012

lmao Ben Rhodes rules

Reynold
Feb 14, 2012

The playoffs are dumb, but at least we don't have a champion that hasn't won a race in years like what happened with Crafton in trucks back in 2019. Sucks for my boy AJ with the loose wheel ruining his night, too. It was a good finish though, and Hemric earned the win for sure.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Reynold
Feb 14, 2012

Yeah I really hate the Larson fans that are over the top right wingers saying wild poo poo all the time, and am at best neutral on Larson himself at this point, but I'll still never be a fan of that dude or celebrate his success.