Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

gently caress that, I want trebuchets to fling stacks of ore between islands. I don't know that the vikings ever used trebuchets but they technically existed in their period of activity.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

My friend and I spent about four hours last night building a river bridge, and I finished it this morning. Only then did it occur to me that it would've been vastly easier to build a "flat" foot bridge to get the stakes down, THEN build the arch on top of that and dismantle the foot bridge instead of the insane scaffolding (and a raft!) tricks we were doing to try to get the stakes down on the river bed up to the stairway arch.

PringleCreamEgg
Jul 2, 2004

Sleep, rest, do your best.
I've bounced off every survival game except this one, which I'm really loving. I'm just spending all my time building stuff. Initially had a very basic shack, then found a nice open meadow with a nice view of a river and a black forest, built a nice long house. Then I got invaded by a forest so I built a stake wall and towers to shoot at the invaders from. Now I'm going to need to move again to get to the next boss, and I'll have an excuse to build yet another thing. This time with four foot meter so I can have a taller roof!

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

Untrustable posted:

Is there a secret to boats? I parked 3 rafts on a coastline (don't judge, I kept getting killed) and when I returned not one was still there. My improved boat has stayed without issue. Do rafts just float off? It seemed like they had been staying in place while not being used.

I've generally built a workshop and then used little fences or whatever to trap the raft in. Then again, the times I didn't do that, I came back later and found my rafts I thought floated away. I mean, maybe they did, but maybe I just forgot where I landed.

FLIPADELPHIA
Apr 27, 2007

Heavy Shit
Grimey Drawer
How can I keep mobs from destroying my longship? I have a cove I park my boats in since I don't want to build a giant boathouse. It's a meadow so the only things there are greydwarves and necks.

Is there something I can do to keep them away? It's really annoying especially when the game doesn't refund you the mats for the ship.

Scorps
Feb 24, 2008

Oh, lighten up Mr. Dooms-and-Gloom, "embezzle" is metal.
There is a way to get ore transported more easily that probably should be considered an exploit/metagaming but was used by my group a few times to get large iron loads out of the swamp. One person can take items (in this case ore) and exit into a solo world, place it in a chest, then re-enter the MP world and travel to the intended location, re-enter the solo world and retrieve, then re-log into the MP world with the ore transported.

The fact that world and character saves seem to be separate can be used in a lot of exploit-ish ways like this including refilling your stamina if you fall out of a boat and need to swim, refilling your HP in a difficult fight, mining out an entire ore vein and storing it in ether-world while not having to leave the vein, or transporting the 200 weight dragon eggs up a mountain more easily.

I won't say these methods will increase enjoyment of the game necessarily, but it did provide a lot of saved sanity when we were farming crypts to outfit 7 people in iron.

I'm sure using it like this is not 100% intended by the devs, but I won't tell you how to play your game either

Vanadium
Jan 8, 2005

I mean, if you're farming with so many people, you can probably get some extra economy of scale compared to solo players/smaller groups. :colbert:

I appreciate that you can take your character out of the world because it's a separate file, and like it's neat to be able to visit other worlds with your stuff, but I also just lost like most of carrot seeds/carrots and the cultivator because I took them out of a box and then bluescreened, so the server saved that they weren't in the box but my character hadn't saved that they were in my inventory. :(

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Damn Dirty Ape
Jan 23, 2015

I love you Dr. Zaius

If you lost stuff to a bug just use the console to spawn it back.

Midgetskydiver posted:

How can I keep mobs from destroying my longship? I have a cove I park my boats in since I don't want to build a giant boathouse. It's a meadow so the only things there are greydwarves and necks.

Is there something I can do to keep them away? It's really annoying especially when the game doesn't refund you the mats for the ship.

You can build a little base inside a walled off area next to the coast with a land wall far out enough on both sides to create a sort of harbor. It doesn't do anything for the water, but if it's long enough the mobs won't try to swim around it. You can make the land wall by using the 'raise ground' function of the hoe. It works in sort of a weird way. If you target the very end of your land wall (at the walls level) it will extend it AND raise it, at which time you can use a pickaxe and hoe to keep it level. If you instead try to extend it by raising from the bottom of the water (so just off of the end of your wall) it takes a ton of rocks.

e: and you need to have stuff inside the walled off area so monsters don't spawn inside of it.

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
Can we feed boars with carrots, or do we need to forage for berries and poo poo to tame them?

Chinook
Apr 11, 2006

SHODAI

Carrots definitely work. Faster even, I think.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

The game supports basic unicode so sprinkle in some Ø's and Å's in there!

Unfortunately the runic unicode characters don't work :smith:

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
Badass. Gonna turn my personal home into a boar ranch. Turns out having like 5 people in a server means you churn through your meat supplies quickly.

Flavahbeast
Jul 21, 2001

my turnips died :negative:

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.
One of my favourite little silly things in this game is how you can, very easily, just basically ninjarun up a sheer cliff wall by just running into it and spamming the jump button fast enough.

FuzzySlippers
Feb 6, 2009

Our main base has started to get pretty bad fps. It's nothing on the scale of these crazy bases so I feel like something must be going wrong. We are running a dedicated server on one of those popular gaming hosts.

We're starting to do testing on whether its the added geometry (the buildings), all the terrain modifications, or maybe all the items in containers. We haven't found anything so far. Any ideas?

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

I've only had frame drops when there's a lot of smoke, usually when my camera is inside it. I assume most of us have proper chimneys but it's all I got for what to look at.

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

Our dedicated server crashed a couple times last night, when it was just 2 of us playing. It was quite solid right up until we landed on a new chunk of land, our first major expedition away from the relatively small area we'd explored around the spawn. After a few crash/restart cycles (with no apparent reason in the logs), things seemed to be back to normal. No idea what was going on; we found it extremely disconcerting because we rafted over, rebuilt a random tower we found on the shore & dropped some beds there, then the server crashed and we came back to find the raft gone and the tower reverted to the way it was--we were afraid all our buildings on the whole map might be wiped, but couldn't check because we didn't have a raft. Luckily everything was still ok back at base.

creamcorn
Oct 26, 2007

automatic gun for fast, continuous firing

FuzzySlippers posted:

Our main base has started to get pretty bad fps. It's nothing on the scale of these crazy bases so I feel like something must be going wrong. We are running a dedicated server on one of those popular gaming hosts.

We're starting to do testing on whether its the added geometry (the buildings), all the terrain modifications, or maybe all the items in containers. We haven't found anything so far. Any ideas?

if you've clearcut the forest around your base, try removing all the stumps.

mistermojo
Jul 3, 2004

I love how slow the raft is. Its just as cumbersome as it needs to be

FLIPADELPHIA
Apr 27, 2007

Heavy Shit
Grimey Drawer

Lib and let die posted:

idk if it's a consequence of me hackifying my own installation together, but i also had to overwrite common.cfg with _default.cfg before I had a full config file to edit.

had a little trouble getting another goon's world save uploaded to the instance, but I had him add my public key to it and I was able to sftp them up there for him, but would be nice if I could get him connected via winscp or powershell sftp with the public key, unfortunately i'm a bit lacking in the identity management department.

i think i'll build a cronjob and have him create a folder on his google drive that i'll mount with ocamlfuse and just back up the world files to weekly.

Shout out to the quoted poster for putting in some serious work to get our server up and running. Guiding me through that poo poo must have been a real chore but he did it with a smile. Cheers!

Red Herring
Apr 3, 2010
After getting to the current end, I've been reflecting on the journey so far.

Tiny spoilers: It's kind of weird, as much as Swamp sucked, it was probably my favourite part of the game because it sucked. It was dangerous, we were too terrified to go there at night, everyone died a lot. Same as Black Forest and the hordes of Grey Dwarfs as we took our pee-wee boat back and forth for copper and tin. By mountains and plains, you know what you're doing, you know what to look for, you know how to play, and it isn't as dangerous since the game has bred a good degree of caution. Furling villages are tough, but it just becomes a kiting exercise, unlike the Swamp with its dangerous waters.

Jinnigan
Feb 12, 2007

We shall pay him a visit. There will be a picnic. Tea shall be served.
my server killed Bonemass

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vBzeQ2qpylY

the funniest part to me is epic viking soundtrack while a bunch of us putter about with hoes, flattening out the arena before the fight

Lib and let die
Aug 26, 2004

Midgetskydiver posted:

Shout out to the quoted poster for putting in some serious work to get our server up and running. Guiding me through that poo poo must have been a real chore but he did it with a smile. Cheers!

Call me crazy, but that's actually my idea of fun!

Feral Integral
Jun 6, 2006

YOSPOS

SKULL.GIF posted:

My friend and I spent about four hours last night building a river bridge, and I finished it this morning. Only then did it occur to me that it would've been vastly easier to build a "flat" foot bridge to get the stakes down, THEN build the arch on top of that and dismantle the foot bridge instead of the insane scaffolding (and a raft!) tricks we were doing to try to get the stakes down on the river bed up to the stairway arch.

4 bridges I find it easiest to apply a haphaserd scaffolding from the ground-up wherever you need in order to get the true supports in from the bridge-down. then you delete the temporary scaffolding like carving a sculpture out of ice

Has anybody found any physics tricks or anything weird? With pvp on, my friend and i have managed to launch each pretty far by person A harpooning person B and then jumping off something high. It's kind of funny. Another idea I have that I havent tried yet is encapsulating a tree in a weird way with structures, and then felling it to see if the tree-fall physics can go crazy

or a cart roller coaster

Feral Integral fucked around with this message at 03:04 on Feb 24, 2021

FLIPADELPHIA
Apr 27, 2007

Heavy Shit
Grimey Drawer
So is it possible to park your boat in shallow waters and have the rising tides smash it against something and destroy it?

Vanadium
Jan 8, 2005

I'm told just the up and down does it if the down hits the ground.

Scoss
Aug 17, 2015
As our homebase has grown, I've noticed that our territory has now encircled areas where wild, aggressive boars can spawn. At the same time it has been very difficult to keep our base locked down from greydwarf spawns because our workbenches keep being mysteriously destroyed. Recently I caught a boar just going wild all on its own destroying a workbench within our walls, and my theory is that a boar knocking out one or two benches causes a gap for dwarves to spawn, who when go on a systematic attack and will clear out all the benches in an entire area. It's a really annoying pain in the rear end.

I've started putting fences around the benches in the problem areas, but I don't know if this will solve the problem. Ideally I'd like to just be rid of the aggressive boars within the grounds (Necks don't seem interested in property damage). Maybe I could drop caches of food in the known spawning areas and hope we just tame them all? I don't know if that would prevent further spawning.

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

:cheers:

Jinnigan posted:

my server killed Bonemass

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vBzeQ2qpylY

the funniest part to me is epic viking soundtrack while a bunch of us putter about with hoes, flattening out the arena before the fight

This inspired me to queue up some Heilung in our discord server when we take on the next boss. Thanks

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hNu6FmaUIB0

AccountSupervisor
Aug 3, 2004

I am greatful for my loop pedal

PIZZA.BAT posted:

This inspired me to queue up some Heilung in our discord server when we take on the next boss. Thanks

Awesome, thanks for this.

Been listening to mostly Wardruna while playing and this a perfect addition to the playlist Ive got going.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo
https://youtu.be/z2kc570KwUs

Add some swedish

Jinnigan
Feb 12, 2007

PIZZA.BAT posted:

post your valheim playlist. mine is: wardruna, danheim, myrkur, heilung, sowulo, garmana.
also (2nd tier: non-nordic, or non-"neofolk" genres): the hu, chelsea wolfe, tengger cavalry, agalloch (select works)
https://open.spotify.com/playlist/51Mx19AKBJkvwVcIvvDVJh?si=9LKuWowfT6ufmkvJAOql8w

Jinnigan
Feb 12, 2007

just to be clear all that danheim/wardruna neofolk stuff is like 90% modern sensibilities and a modern mythologization of what "viking" music would sound like

proper era-appropriate "viking" music sounds like this:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iAO7_GryWTM
jaunty, corny pentatonic sea-shanty sounds, much like most traditional folk music.

that "viking" neofolk do be slappin tho
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1q2qYPVNU2Q

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo
Toss the whole Amon Amarth discography in there too

CheeseSpawn
Sep 15, 2004
Doctor Rope

Midgetskydiver posted:

It does refund the mats when it gets destroyed by mobs. The nails and skins will sink to the bottom of your cove while wood floats. If you can dive deep enough, you can recover the mats. How do you dive? Jump high off of ladders into the water.

FuzzySlippers
Feb 6, 2009

Yeah we've been finding all our bronze boats destroyed. We've lost at least 4. The iron boat doesn't seem to be taking any damage wherever we stick it. So the safest harbor is not touching anything or half on the ground?

Also anyone tried to recover mats by just raising the harbor floor? Does it work or glitch the items?

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin
Made a bronze sword to go with my bronze axe and finally built a boat. Unequipped most of my stuff because I was worried about dying and grabbed my old flint gear. Got attacked by a sea serpent, tried to run, beached on a sandbar and it wouldn't leave, so pelted it with arrows . It hosed off and I hopped off to repair the boat that had 1 hp and...no hammer,, no workbench, no axe. Scrambled around looking for rocks/branches to pick up like the old days, then was back on the boat happily

I do wish sailing was faster, because God drat this is a big map. I have the second boss marked and didn't even get halfway to him when circumnavigating the island im on

The only two biomes I have are meadows and forest which doesn't seem good

Love the sailing music. This is a chill game, I just wish the little dwarves wouldn't annoy me while I mine. Oh, and I can't figure out how to lure boars with mushrooms

Warbird
May 23, 2012

America's Favorite Dumbass

Midgetskydiver posted:

Glad to hear you got that running! What ended up being the solution to your wget issue?

CheeseSpawn
Sep 15, 2004
Doctor Rope

FuzzySlippers posted:

Yeah we've been finding all our bronze boats destroyed. We've lost at least 4. The iron boat doesn't seem to be taking any damage wherever we stick it. So the safest harbor is not touching anything or half on the ground?

Also anyone tried to recover mats by just raising the harbor floor? Does it work or glitch the items?

You can only raise ground on the cove/shoreline if you can stand on something to use your tool. Ideally the best cove are ones where it's deep enough for the longboat but still shallow enough to place stone walls to stack so when you dock, you just place a wall behind your boat so they cant swim in to hit it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

boo_radley
Dec 30, 2005

Politeness costs nothing
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0gKlezU-fgM
Music for Vaheim, you say?