Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
I'm waiting for my buddy to progress, so I was just farming up stuff and hunting on the main island to build up resources. I loved finally figuring out how to nail Deer, for so long kept trying to sneak and chase and only kill when they get stuck on a rock or the water. The spear chuck is really nice once you learn it's range.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

PIZZA.BAT posted:

You know there's bows and arrows in this game, right?

Yes but the materials were in high demand for plenty of other stuff so we didn't make them yet, I've since made everything we can, just got it in storage for us to lose on the way to a boss when our raft is attacked by some hydra thing

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
Was massively over-prepared for the first boss, we definitely could've taken it our first attempt to reach it earlier today if sea creature didn't eat out boat and us. Didn't get to use the sniper nest we built near summon spot.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

Untrustable posted:

Valheim is cool because it's making me rethink how I play survival crafting games. In something like The Forest or Stranded Deep, once my base was built it wasn't going anywhere, because I'd get reduced or no materials from destroying my stuff. Valheim says, "gently caress it. Part of the fun is building stuff. You get all your materials back.". I constantly forget this and leave a built up space without taking anything.

I love this for making changes to current structures, but I'll never reclaim my old ones for materials. I love in these games making progressively better bases, then eventually coming back to old areas and laughing at how pitiful my early structures were.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

Untrustable posted:

Is there a secret to boats? I parked 3 rafts on a coastline (don't judge, I kept getting killed) and when I returned not one was still there. My improved boat has stayed without issue. Do rafts just float off? It seemed like they had been staying in place while not being used.

I've generally built a workshop and then used little fences or whatever to trap the raft in. Then again, the times I didn't do that, I came back later and found my rafts I thought floated away. I mean, maybe they did, but maybe I just forgot where I landed.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

Fingerless Gloves posted:

Last night I went to bed but could not sleep for I had an idea.

Today I bring that idea to life.

I present to you.

The Valhvo

wow you'll be able to make hovercars in this before we do out here

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
More generous than old MMOs or the kind of survival games this is a better vein of. Minecraft and Terraria can make you drop your stuff when you die, but then only once at a time, and even then something might gently caress up, destroy, or steal your poo poo.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
Me and a buddy finally found some surtling cores, very cool! We'll just beeline for our mini basecamp, after a wild run through the woods. Turns out there's a freaking Mountain we never noticed and we encountered wolves. We thought the troll and goblin horde chasing us was bad, but a single wolf is much worse.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

Major Isoor posted:

hahaha I had a similar situation when I found surtling cores for the first time last night. :D But for me, I was making the 20min voyage home in my raft, when I went 1mm out of 'meadow' coastline into the ocean for quite literally two seconds, shortly after a storm had started...so yeah, a _____sea serpent_____ got me, as I'm sure everyone reading this has predicted already. I respawned, raced over there on foot, waited for it to bugger off, then collected my stuff and hopped onto my almost-destroyed raft for a quick repair before completing the journey. Very tense!

We got got by that thing on our first raft journey away from starting island! We're still too scared to go get our corpses since we don't need em at this point and we still have the same crappy rafts.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
I like that, seems way easier to pop out than framing out a chimney box.

Did something change today? When are you able to get core wood? Our main base is at the edge of a Black Forest, and I've been mowing down trees like the ferngully machine. It wasn't until tonight we finally snagged some core wood, just chopping some random pine trees with our flint axes. Trying to figure out if we made some accidental progress or just somehow after all the chopping never once hit up a pine? I know there are some pine logs outside my base, in my rats nest of logs I keep around as a pathfinding curse.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
That's crazy, it's day 40something. I've cleared paths through a forest for a pointless road, I've built wooden bridges across walking able streams. Several two story buildings, pointless raft docks and raft jails with seashacks. Just hacked away at black forest to keep rock throwin' weirdos from trying to start poo poo over my needlessly long ring of logwalls when I'm tendin my bees. I would assume with the way I'm playing, I've chopped many more trees with the flint axe than intended, including areas where I just chop the trees to try and play dominoes and leave the logs on the ground for easier access later. Not like I've been avoiding Pine either. Just of all the dang trees I've chopped, I avoided every hacking a pine log apart.

So many structures with the most ugly basic parts only, and unlocked the core wood stuff the same trip we unlocked metal & bronze. Was just trying to see if we could chop these tree and have it roll downhill onto a troll and clearing a dud was my first hunk of core wood lol

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
It's also nice to throw down a new base and start from scratch now and then. You can only really improve your old ugly base so much without tearing it all down, and why do that when you can just start over in a currently more useful spot.

However, I do have a certain temptation to connect all of my bases via a road or weird chutes perhaps. Making land bridges between islands is also fun.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

Pham Nuwen posted:

I would kill for a few additional quickbar spaces. I'd like to have club, shield, bow, spear, hammer, axe, pick, and 3 stacks of food all close to hand, but instead I keep the weapons and some food handy and shuffle the other tools depending on what I'm doing, open the inventory to eat honey, etc.. It's pretty goddamn minor though... I'm still sneaking 30 minutes in the game over lunch and such.

I would at least like 9 and 0 lol. My issue is I want to keep at least one slot open for "Free space" for when I want to have a torch there, or something else I only contextually need on my bar.

Food I'd recommend just stuffing in your inventory corner with your armor and stuff. No real reason to have it on hotbar, just pop open menu while running and right click the food and keep going.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

Saxophone posted:

So I learned a thing last night.

As far as events and raids go, they are tied to the WORLD'S boss progression, not your character's. I'm not a big fan of a troll showing up and wrecking my poo poo, so I'm going to create a new world to build my base and explore and stuff in, and then use a separate world (probably one of the ones with close bosses) to actually fight the bosses.

So yeah if you want to just build in relative peace without constant threat of raids, that's a thing you can do.

You could also turn on "Creative mode" with debugmode and just build to your hearts content, but maybe I don't know your pain you're trying to avoid yet. Only get weakass treegoblin raids, which are more of a nuisance than a threat. Plus now my new fence with stakes-gaps has them funneling their own suicides towards us.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
This weekend was fun. I was putzing around with our new bronze/core wood/fine wood toys, building up the castle town, made a two headed ogre, bunch of wooden serpents flowing around as decoration, plus harvesting shitloads of ore and food. Also established portals, one to boss island, one to furthest place I've sailed, and a blank one I meant to stick on our dinky home island but forgot! I was surprised how the stacks of bronze and food/potions I made quickly disappeared between the two of us. I thought we were set for life for a minute there! Oops.

Tree Gumby was a fun boss, took me a little too long to realize I didn't need to be playing sniper-behind-cover and just darksouls the fool but we got him first try. We then went on a sailing journey and found a swamp area, has at least 2 crypts in it, and it says the third boss is nearby on the map. Raided our first crypt and oh boy the whiplash from "oh boy new thing" to "huh, now what" was severe. Back to basics! Clear cutting the forest near our basecamp, back to mining, we gotta set up infrastructure on sight to make anything out of this junk. And yet, part of me wants to smuggle home 2 iron bars just to make a stonecutter and start building the third manor, this time with stone foundation.

We cracked up when we realized how we got this poo poo, it was a funny jump from "strike the earth" to "steal from the dead!"

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
Stuff despawns eventually outside of your bubbles of workshop control. Could make a trash pit outside your fence or wherever in the woods, I've also dumped poo poo in the ocean, as is human tradition.

Quest about jumping a resource tier with black metal. We found a Plains biome, but didn't venture too far because we were already sidetracked. We killed a few goblins and deathsquitoes, unlocked some stuff... but not actually any stuff to use the black metal with, can't even smelt it I don't think, maybe I need to just dump it in furnace first to see. Anyway, Plains are meant to be too tough for us, but the goblins were mostly kite-able and I reckon we could build a sniping platform. There's this goblin village or something, I'm just wondering if we could cheese these monsters to make ourselves some black iron tools early

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

Squibbles posted:

Second boss spoilers ahead:

We haven't been looking up guides for the game or anything and after the first boss was such a push over we decided to attempt The Elder with a smattering of troll hide armour, a tiny bit of bronze, etc. Not overly well equipped.

Did we get incredibly unlucky with the elder's summon location or is it always like this:

The summoning circle was on a little point of land with water on 3 sides. The woods on the land-side are dark forest but it's only a few hundred feet to a desert biome of some kind. There's a village not too deep into the woods that had some crazy goblin things that aggro'ed from a million miles away. They sent a berserker over that can one-shot us with ease. After escaping the goblins we decided to summon the elder but mid-fight the goblins showed up and killed our most powerful player (wearing mostly bronze armour). The rest of us slowly died off to either elder tentacles or spawning greydwarves/goblins.

... Aaaand then we get into "our fault" territory. The Elder destroyed our only ship but we had enough supplies to scrape together another one so we could try to run back to get our bodies. Of course it turns out the elder aggros from an insane distance, so we had to make emergency landfall. But of course there were a bunch of greydwarves there who destroyed our ship while we tried to loot our corpses, and then we died again since I guess you don't automatically pick up your body loot if it won't all fit in your inventory so we mostly got picked off while trying to painstakingly grab our valuables one by one. Now we are hilariously knocked back to the near stone-age and will have to spend hours building back up and mining bronze just to have a hope of recovering our bodies.

If we summon the elder at another location will he also be at the first one? If we can "move" him it would make corpse recovery infinitely easier.

I assume he'll show up at the other altar just fine but haven't tested two up at once yet. I know you can summon multiples of same boss at same location, though, so I reckon you'd be able to summon him elsewhere without issue. Sounds like you lost to high-level biome enemies, not actually the boss so much. Dedicate your first new bronze to an axe if you haven't already, the wood you can chop with bronze enables you to build something great to alleviate future attempts on a boss and resultant corpse runs.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
Fine but I might still hunt some gobbos in my free time, love those little guys. Can we tame them?

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

boofhead posted:

The second boss is apparently 100000km away and not connected by land. I'd never rafted before and sure as hell didn't want to lose all my stuff, so I stripped naked and brought just a bit of food. I sailed over, made landfall, and immediately had to leg it from greydwarves while scrounging together an axe.. I somehow make a little palisade enclave as night falls, I'm out of wood, my axe is busted, and I'm apparently right in the middle of a shaman party, waiting to see what dawn brings

Game rules

i love this approach. me and my buddy took our first raft trip to get to the first boss, got all our best food, leather armour, etc and... got attacked on the ocean on the way there and lost everything, still see our gravestones floating just off the shore of what became our new home eventually.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
I was trying to create a rice-paddy look in our base for a while, but it's just too hard to get each level to be totally distinct without it being an exaggerated drop off.

Also, without spoiling how, just yes or no: Do we eventually get the instrument from windwaker to control the direction of the wind?

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
edit: Sorry, had a day old tab open necroreplied to a post thats since gotten pages of answers lol

OwlFancier posted:

I have only had it happen twice thus far, both when exploring new islands, once because a troll spawned on the peninsula I had built a house on, which was absurd, and the second because I landed on a plains biome and something destroyed my boat before I could leave.

But the process of recovering from that is so tedious that it is still a major turnoff for the game.

E: now three times, because the game spawned a giant attack the minute I landed at my base and I died before i could move my spawn point.

The game does not have the capacity to not make itself annoying to play.

I mean, if you know you're going on a big sea journey with no easy way home... bring the poo poo to make a portal or bring the poo poo to make a spare ship. Hell, last time I died, I spawned on my same island as my swamp-expedition fort and while naked bout to run back to corpse, I chomped some food from stock chest and grabbed the poo poo to make a portal near where I died just to save the commute back and forth. You're the one not respecting your own time by not preparing before you set out to die on the shores of an alien land hoping the natives will take you in and teach you how to grow maize.

Also, if you really hate it so much and won't have fun overcoming the intended struggle, you can look up console commands.

Khanstant fucked around with this message at 17:23 on Mar 2, 2021

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
Me and my buddy raided a few more crypts for iron yesterday, did some judicial land development along the way to make the cart-trip home less spooky and have no swimming. We've got this crazy shaped swamp, still haven't explored it all yet, but it's spawned in the middle of these highland black forest hills, so there are some steep slopes and cliffs leading straight to swamp danger.

We had enough iron to make ourselves both pickaxes and axes, plus enough to make something else for ourselves and we both got chest armour lol. I was going to build the iron Atgeir but it was like 30 iron instead of the 20 I had. Atgeir means going shield-less, but the spear's range is way too short and limited, the atgeir has the range you expect plus has a sweet AoE alt-attack. Plus I forgot to equip my shield most of the time anyway when I was using spear.

We decided to skirt around in the black forest along the swamp edge, heading towards our nearby swamp boss. It's fun to watch swamp and forest enemies fight eachother while you just casually walk past unharmed. He wound up dying in the dark while we tried to set-up a night camp, not realizing how late in day we left and having slid down a mountain that wouldve required a swamp trek to get back on the good side of. Dawn broke and I went poking in the swamp just wanting to at least scout the terrain a bit. Our loose plan was to fill the place in and set up some wooden cover spots here and there, still no idea what the boss is like.

It's... going to take some work. First, there's a little altar or rock formation with several bodypile spawners for draugr, one for skeletons, and something else I ran from. The land around it is fortunately pretty navigable, but we'll have to kill these spawners to not get overwhelmed just showing up. Then there's basically a perfect perimeter around the boss altar of these freaking fire holes that spew out little johnny fireseeds when you approach it. Feel like tonight gonna die more to fireboy and forgetting to have chugged a poison mead and an oozer shows up than whatever this boss ends up being.

edit:
Is there a way to train up weapons at homebase? Like, if you just set up some walls and attack them then repair them and attack some more, will that level your weapon skills? I know you could always go to a forest, knock on wood and beat up the treeny babies but I'm thinking about if you're already at home babysitting ore and meat and whatnot.

Khanstant fucked around with this message at 18:20 on Mar 2, 2021

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
okay but are there waterfalls were I might find a rock under that waterfall and I can build my dojoshack there?

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
Are you playing alone? I'm torn on whether that might help you have a good time or if it would just hurt someone else's. Tedious poo poo like a long safe boatride home hoping the wind obeys are a lot more fun when you can talk to someone along the way. Otherwise, when sailing alone I kind of do something else since so much of sailing only needs attention when it's going wrong.

Khanstant fucked around with this message at 19:23 on Mar 2, 2021

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

Ambaire posted:

Or just don't tag it. Two portals without tags will link automatically, funnily enough.

This was a great feature. I built a random portal when it unlocked just to see it, forgot about it. Went on an impulsive sailing journey once and got far enough away I didn't even want to try and get back, or go further into mysterious new biomes. I landed nearby, set up a little camp and threw down a portal. My thought was, I'll name it the same as my other portal and see if it works, if not, I'll name the portal something, kill myself, then rename my home portal the same thing and be able to recover corpse easily.

Turns out the raw portals just connected and I left it at that until my buddy got online and we renamed portal on both sides.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

toasterwarrior posted:

Carrot soup isn't poo poo compared to turnip stew though, and honestly hunting deer is significantly more efficient than foraging mushrooms, which are also usually used for mead. And turnip stew only needs a single piece of meat too, the returns are wild.

I let the fires die in the old house in our current village, threw a harvest of carrots in it and left the doors open for the tame boars have a nice place to live. Every once in a while I come by like a good landlord and take my pounds of flesh as rent.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
Once again went way overprepared to a boss. I think after we beat this I might try and solo rush and just try to get as far as I can as fast as I can without as many countless hours base-building and preparing while waiting for my buddy's hour of gameplay a night lol.

I spent some time flattening the ground around the oogie boogie man. Also cleared out all the surtling spawns, even though I realized they're basically harmless in the swamp. I also built some random wooden palisades around the area, just in case it was helpful for projectile attacks or whatever, didn't know the boss yet. I think the mace is the single best swamp-beater. I switched to mace + shield and it's hilarious how many of the swamp enemies just die in one hit with that thing! My polearm is cooler, but the swamp just melts to the mace and so did the boss. We both only used one health potion in the fight, and both in the very start when we got smacked by a big swipe while trying to learn the telegraphs. We used none of the land around him I flattened out. Ring-around-rosie of his skull summoning altar was way more than enough space. I can see how the adds would be a problem in this fight, like, if he and I had tried it out still decked in bronze/troll, plus his sword and my polearm... the adds would've be stamina-draining hassles. Skellies and slimes just too resistant to our previous damage type. With the iron mace though... the adds were a joke as long as you remembered them. If one of us was close to where he hocked his mob-loogie, we could clear them in all in the same swipe.

I hope there's a boss rush or mass-boss fight at some point, so far I can see these first three bosses being fun all at once, without them overlapping too much or just being utter chaos.

We were sick of raiding tombs for iron after the boss and are clearly too stronk as it is, so we sailed the rest of our iron back home. We resolved to not waste any time gearing up this round, we know of two mountains connected to our mainbase superisland, we're just heading straight there and hoping we find the boss ASAP. This might be an rear end-kicking, but good, we want one.

Of course, I will still make dawdling time to build up a new castle now that we got stone building! I already regret all the stone we wasted landscaping our temporary swamp and forge fort, which withstood a few troll attacks, plus a troll invasion, and a hilarious suicidal draugr invasion where they just killed themselves on our spikes. There was one skeleton smart/lucky enough to attack the not-pointy side-- almost had me interrupt my forge tending to go outside to deal with this lone badass, but he ran off shortly after. Don't blame em.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

Ravenfood posted:

That's really a shame because spears are pretty loving Viking. Odin used one, dammit.

I just want a game where spears are good. :(

It's definitely the weapon I'd grab if I were inexplicably thrust into medieval combat. Not gonna hurt myself swinging it around like you might with a sword, don't have to keep as close to anyone, can always throw it, swing it wide, stab something, spin it around really fast to deflect bullets, knock fruit off high branches, scratch my own back, can hold it between your legs and pretend its a pp, etc. Meanwhile in videogame spear means pierce damage and it gets one poke attack with shorter range than most knives for some reason.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
Is animal taming gated in any way? Obviously being able to tank a hit or block it makes luring animals to the pen much safer, but when we early stumbled onto a plains, we nearly managed to kill a Lox before getting overwhelmed, plus we have a harpoon now. Seems like if we had one person distracting the beast while the other fills in the pen, we might get one before we're ready to visit the plains proper.

Second question, do tamed animals go through portals if not, could you corral one onto a ship?

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
The first levels of a weapon go buy pretty fast but the rock-dojo trick at home is nice if you really don't wanna go out swinging with a fresh weapon type.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

Johnny Joestar posted:

i'm the kind of weirdo who wants there to be different kinds of fish to catch depending on the biome and different foods to make using those different varieties. also the occasional rare and cool fish that's hard to find and only appears under specific circumstances but you can make neat trophies out of them. this should take precedence over all else, in my opinion.

perhaps some sort of beastman nearby who will congratulate me on my catches, give me a little tokens and baubles for my efforts at catching the rarest fish.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

Floppychop posted:

Fish farm should completely be an option, it's a smart and relatively easy thing to build in an irl survival situation.

tbh, if you're going to go the rock-dojo route just console command your skills to the desired level.

I don't agree, the "training dummy" being a rock is a bit silly, but with the way weapon XP is calculated and the way comfort benefits your stamina use, burning excess stamina while you sit around in a base waiting to reload the forge or whatever isn't the same as cheating or instead whacking graylings, which are easier enemies than a rock, but incur much more inventory clutter. Also my rock dojo involved a set of table and chairs I also included in my swings, just because it's fun to bash em and repair em. If training dummies aren't already in the game, it's something I'd expect eventually, along with bullseye hay bales or targets for archery.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
We tried to conquer the fourth boss or mountain last night, couldn't find the boss, and the first mountain we climbed had literally nothing on it but deer. We even hung around at night, hoping for a wolf or something that terrorized us so long ago. Total bummer baby mountain. Then we went to a slightly bigger mountain north of it, got to a peak and found a little building... which had a rock golem, along with a blue ice dragon attacking us the same time. Both ended up dying, and dying again on the recovery trip. We probably could've survived our initial foray if we had the meads for it, but they were taking too long to ferment so we just set out too soon to our doom. Buddy logged off and I built a mountain camp and portal to save us the trek. I recovered both of our stuffs, but only because it was complete chaos up there. This little hidey holy we carved by a rock for a campfire to avoid freezing and also hide from golem was totally wrecked. The golem was fighting the dragon, the dragon and golem were fighting wolves, some fuckin greylings got involved. The landscape was torn up and there were loose corpse parts strewn about, I unlocked a few recipes without ever killing anything, haha. We'll go back tonight to clear the place out, but this mountain is also already starting to look pretty small too, we got one more potential range to explore on our megaisland and then I guess we gotta set sail? Are there mountain biomes ever immediately obvious from shore, or they just generate anywhere the terrain is sufficiently high?

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
My favourite beehive moment was when a friendly grayling killed itself desperately trying to warn me that one of my hives was too close to something else to make the bees happy. I picked up my queen, rebuilt the hive a little further away, the bees were happy, and I swear the greyling eye winked at me.

WRT to the world becoming harder through progress, do boss tiers alone trigger the different invasion types? After 3rd boss, I got two new invasion types from enemies that made sense, but last night I also got one that didn't. I got a random chill and snow drake invasion (and died many times since I was armourless at my base for max inventory while I was building). I have not yet even killed a drake, mind you. I have picked up the loot from one's corpse, but I did not kill it. Just curious if I activated drake invasions once the game recognized I had picked up drake loot or if it was a random chance enabled the moment I killed oogie boogie

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

Ravenfood posted:

What are the roof wood crosses used for?

I think the idea is they would connect two or more of the diagonal support beams and then you could also anchor the A roof cap piece. I usually don't end up using either of those though and use the crosses at best as decoration.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

GlyphGryph posted:

Man, pulling automatically from storage in range for the workbenches building and crafting (and being able to upgrade their range) seems like such a missed opportunity.

Are there any mods that do that, that anyone knows about? Be a huge quality of life improvement.

Beating the secret boss unlocks the Sleipnir power you can use every 12 minutes to get a few minutes of shared stash access with the range of about a workshop. To get the secret boss sail around until you find a little abandoned village with a ship beached into the sand. There will be a cart nearby, use the strength power from the third boss near the cart and it will move aside spawning a little pink boss you defeat.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
Still have never killed a troll in cave, I reckon I could do it now if I tried again but why? I believe in a multi-state solution.

I got annoyed trying cram a charcoal kiln into our new mainbase crafting zone. Found a solution that looks like on the inside, but ugly from the side only invaders should see.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
Will wolves chase you all the way from a mountain to your main fief? OH wait, I got this dang harpoon I always forget to use. Gonna dig up a wolf pit tonight.

We got our first silver last night, Golems went from scary threats we ran from while trying to trick it into mining for us, into just another jerk we roll up and bash. The "roll up" being key. My buddy couldn't do Dark Souls because his attack style is just "always be swinging." Same problem here, but he can block and survive a hit or almost two. The real key seems to be switching back to the OP swamp weapon. The first time we attacked, we weren't doing poo poo to him, even tried the mace. Then we got the idea to try a pickaxe, which did yellow damage, still died those initial attempts. When we finally just said gently caress it, let's just overwhelm with weak weapon attacks that are less finnicky than mining-attacks. I think our initial attempts mislead us and we didn't yet have an idea of about how much damage we should be dealing to it yet, and they were much lower because we were freezing pre-mead, plus it was night and extra stormy so I'm sure our damage was reduced heavily. Everything up here is manageable with just a quaff of the blue gatorade.

We got to the peaky peak of our mountain, only to see an even higher one in the distance. We also found something exciting up top, a dragon egg!! Brought it down via cart/fall with our one node of silver (73 ores), kept trying to add it to a Brazier or throw it on top of our cooking racks... to no effect. I'm adding this to the pile of objects we've picked up that may or may not be the next boss thingy, along with crystal and freeze booger. Hoping it's not the dragon egg, since carrying it back up the mountain will be much, much, much harder than launching it off a cliff and repairing/rebuilding cart on landing.

So far this new material tier is cool but also a little less of a big rush than previous tiers, but I suppose for sensible reasons. A pickaxe of this material wouldn't really make sense knowing the metal, but ain't stopped games before from embracing it. The recipes are also all surprisingly light on quantity compared to iron. With our 73 I was thinking, "great we'll have barely enough to make ourselves a tool or two" but after our first baby haul alone we've got some great stuff. Hell, the hardest part of this so far is realizing how much more Iron we want/need.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

OwlFancier posted:

I found a pit, except it was in a swamp, so it was just a big pool of water with a chest at the bottom, taunting me.

I really thing a lot of the more basic materials would be improved if you just got them by fighting, even if it's like, the enemies drop nuggets you have to combine 10>1 to make ore, just anything to give you a drip feed of basic metals so you don't have to grind away hours mining the stuff. Like if you enjoy just fighting stuff I think the game should let you do that to progress.

I get what you're saying but gently caress no I hate in games when I need X ore to smelt into 1 bar. I'm aware of how real ore processing goes and how much waste and not-the-stuff-you-want is involved, but for a videogame, especially one with limited inventory as part of it, it just stinks. It's greydwarf eyes and resin litter problem multiplied by each new ore bit added.

As for catering to someone wanting to do all the work and involved perceived tedium, versus catering to those who just like fighting, is always going to be a struggle in games like these. The logistical challenge of surviving a mountain, building a mining camp, mining while fending off enemies, portal, little patches of road for my cart has me engage with far more game systems than I would if all I had to do was walk somewhere, pick a fight with enemies that are pretty easy if you're giving them your undivided attention, and then walk home after enough mob grinding.

I reckon it's better to design toward the system that engages more systems than around folks basically wanting a different type of game entirely, particularly since there's a trivial solution to any given player the moment they personally feel the materials grind has been enough.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
I can't argue that the act itself of clicking rocks till it breaks is fun, breaking the terrain itself kinda is, but I'm out here in the swamp right now trying to kill poo poo for guts to make meads and whatnot. I got good armour, food, and poison potion, plus mace/shield so I win(edit: lost immediately forgetting poison potion after chilling on tree stand to browse forum) while I'm here. I'm not progressing just gathering more resources for a chiller time later, having to babysit potion and parries is a different kind of work than mining. Hunting down worms to stomp or sausage men to cut and hanging around their spawn globs is cool, but if I could find a guts-tree or a bloodbag-rock hidden in the muck, I'd be all over it. Lowering material costs or node yields would also be helpful, I'm just playing with 2 people but not, like, twice the miners, so it's a lot more work to get a comfortable stockpile of metal.

I do see room for exploration/fighting based progression options or boons along the way. Finding a building loses a bit of magic once you learn what about to expect in it in a given biome, I would definitely enjoy if there were bigger rare set pieces or trickier/challenging dungeons that make for combat more interesting than the harassment you get anywhere.

Speaking of guts-tree, what's up with these swamp sacs? Am I goof-trooping it by building a workshop and ladders up to it to smack with my axe, my arrows weren't doing any damage.

Khanstant fucked around with this message at 01:34 on Mar 6, 2021