Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SynthesisAlpha
Jun 19, 2007
Cyber-Monocle sporting Space Billionaire

Warbird posted:

Second boss tips please tia. Solo just seems to be a war of attrition with flint arrows. Thinking about repurposing one of the abandoned stone towers into a siege/cheese platform.

Bronze shield, bronze sword. Get up in his face and chop chop chop. I was able to block his stomps fully with a level 2 bronze shield, and get in a good 3 hit combo afterwards. Run away from the roots and block the ranged attack, then retaliate with a fire arrow. Keep blocking until the roots die or he's not standing in them anymore and go back into melee. He's very predictable and I only died once to a really aggressive root spawn boxing me in.

Advice for all boss fights: Do not forget to build a portal nearby.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SynthesisAlpha
Jun 19, 2007

Sankis posted:

Also its straight up ridiculous that's its 3:1 for a bar of bronze. It should be 3:3 or 3:2 at the worst.

At the very least the weights for the copper and tin bars should be 4. It would make more sense since the ore is 10 and the bronze is 12. I can accept the copper/tin bars being smaller in actual volume/weight than the bronze.

The metal getting heavier than unrefined ore is kinda silly. What is going on inside my magic smelter. Actually never mind it runs on magic fire cubes poo poo probably IS magic.

SynthesisAlpha
Jun 19, 2007
So I finally found a swamp dungeon and holy poo poo so much iron. I popped a portal on top of it and fenced it in, then built a smelter on site so I could start processing the iron right away.

Then my dumb rear end realized bars are also blocked from teleporting. Now I have to decide if I'm ferrying all this stuff home or building a second base (and getting enough copper and bronze for a new forge). I'm thinking new base, especially since my first one is a godawful half open hodgepodge house with no aesthetic value whatsoever.

SynthesisAlpha
Jun 19, 2007
Yeah I'd like to see some more skills like a cooking skill that boosts the values or duration of foods, maybe sailing? Something that makes single player progression better and encourages specialization in groups.

Also I think golems should drop copper, tin, and iron so they become more farmable for post-bonemass.

SynthesisAlpha
Jun 19, 2007
Yeah not sure if you can make a viable cart path, but just raising the land as much as it will go should make a sweet wall/path for regular travel. Hope you've been saving your stone and not just chucking it on the ground!

SynthesisAlpha
Jun 19, 2007

Khanstant posted:

Stuff despawns eventually outside of your bubbles of workshop control. Could make a trash pit outside your fence or wherever in the woods, I've also dumped poo poo in the ocean, as is human tradition.

Quest about jumping a resource tier with black metal. We found a Plains biome, but didn't venture too far because we were already sidetracked. We killed a few goblins and deathsquitoes, unlocked some stuff... but not actually any stuff to use the black metal with, can't even smelt it I don't think, maybe I need to just dump it in furnace first to see. Anyway, Plains are meant to be too tough for us, but the goblins were mostly kite-able and I reckon we could build a sniping platform. There's this goblin village or something, I'm just wondering if we could cheese these monsters to make ourselves some black iron tools early

You need an item from the fourth boss to make new workstations that let you process materials from the fifth biome.

SynthesisAlpha
Jun 19, 2007
After running through a couple different characters, my approach is to focus bronze into axe, pickaxe, and shield plus carts and boat. Axe is a fine weapon, upgrade a basic club as far as you can as a backup/blunt weapon.

Also agree that taming each biome past the black forest is the best strategy. Flatten the swamp, build a massive staircase up the mountain, load your forge setup into a boat and bring it to each new outpost so you're not ferrying metals around. Tame the world because otherwise it will wreck you.

SynthesisAlpha
Jun 19, 2007

Tempora Mutantur posted:

if you're even a little confident with a shield or willing to become so, this is backwards; armor is a huge waste of metal since dead things do no damage (and also things blocked with a decent shield do no damage) vs just getting tools/weapons + a shield. also not having an iron mace for bonemass is going to make the fight way harder than it needs to be (and bonemass can be blocked/parried though not staggered).

like leaving the swamp with an iron shield + mace with trollhide armor is enough to destroy the mountain biome, it's way easier if you can parry, but just blocking is still going to be a FAR greater use of your metal for defense

I do wish this game had sidegrades for weapons and armor instead of only a direct T1 -> T2 -> T3 etc progression, but it's also early access so hopefully that arrives

So the way armor works is if the damage is more than double your armor, you just negate (armor) damage. If the damage is less than that threshold, Damage taken = (Damage / (4 * Total Armor)) * Damage. So damage equal to armor is reduced to 25% of original value.

Armor is hugely impactful to your survivability, especially as damage scales up a lot faster than your max hp. Running with 80 hp against greylings doing 5 damage is a lot different that having 200 health against a wolf that bites you for 50.

Yes you can dark souls it and run around naked and perfectly party every attack but don't act like that's the optimal solution for every player. Armor is worth it because you WILL get hit, even if it's just from an early block that doesn't parry.

Bronze is very skippable, but I would make a full set of iron before the third boss.

SynthesisAlpha
Jun 19, 2007

isaboo posted:

As I progress will tougher mobs spawn near my main base to attack it?

It's on the edge of meadows/BF and the only thing that ever happens is The Forest Comes Alive or whatever and a few boars and necks attack. So far there has been no reason to build any serious defense. And that's kinda boring.

Yes, I believe invasions are keyed to the latest boss that has been defeated in the world. Whatever you've killed, you get attacks from the next zone up. Haven't had an invasion since beating the third boss, though so not sure what they look like past that.

SynthesisAlpha
Jun 19, 2007

Tempora Mutantur posted:

you can if you're doing the Stargate portal address thing (i.e. using one portal and changing its tag to your destination portal) because the tag change visually takes effect before the actual connection, so you can change the tag from x to y -> walk through the portal now named y -> end up at the other end of portal x, but now the portal won't take you back because the original portal shifted from tag x to tag y (and since you already have two portals with the tag y in this scenario, congrats, you're boned and can't go back without running back)

this only happens if you IMMEDIATELY walk through the portal, waiting even like 5 seconds prevents it

If you're going to do it that way then I guess you need to keep a backup portal, tagged but unlinked, in your base. I never thought of doing it this way but going by how it often takes a few seconds for a new portal to light up I feel like the risks are pretty apparent.

SynthesisAlpha
Jun 19, 2007

Inzombiac posted:

It's my specific type of brain worms.

If I know my old base it still there, I'll gravitate back to it. Silly, I know but I'll take my current character and gear and carve out a new life.

Hey I started a new world/new character because part of the fun is working your progression differently. The first world I was pushing as fast as possible to see the content. Once I know what's out there first hand I'm content to futz with building and farming and such.

The funniest thing is that my new guy already has higher skills than my first because I've only died a couple times as a result of a slower pace and better game knowledge/skills.

Like I 100% forgot carts existed by the time I was digging up iron in my first world so I linked the crypt and my outpost with portals and one-way tripped a stack of ore over and over. Derp.

SynthesisAlpha
Jun 19, 2007

Azhais posted:

I don't think you need farmed stuff for mead. My guess is you haven't reenacted Nic Cages role in the Wicker Man yet

You mean when you leave your meat on the cooking station too long you just scream "Why is it burned!?" Over and over at the fire?

SynthesisAlpha
Jun 19, 2007

Zesty posted:

What do you mean to "terraform the swamp"? I just got to the Swamp in my progression. I have built my new main base a little bit outside of it in a pleasant meadow.

The swamp is full of little disconnected paths and islands with shallow water (filled with leeches) everywhere. Using the hoe to smooth the terrain and raise bridges across the water makes cart travel possible, which makes getting iron in useful quantities possible. It is absolutely worth your time to build those roads and set up shelters to recover the rested buff (I build them up in the big trees and plop a fire underneath them).

SynthesisAlpha
Jun 19, 2007
This game is the absolute best for just being a total idiot with friends.

It's kinda hard to read the sign with the lighting, but welcome to Viking Burger, home of the Viking Burger.

Oh and I really like how my forge came out on this world

SynthesisAlpha
Jun 19, 2007

mastershakeman posted:

I jogged 25 ore down the mountain but have 500 silver ore in chests at the top on the opposite side from my camp, with desert surrounding 75% of the mountain. I'm not looking forward to this

Break down your forge and bring the materials up the mountain. Why bring the ore to your base when you can bring your base to the ore?

SynthesisAlpha
Jun 19, 2007

mastershakeman posted:

in other gear news, doesn't the math on shields make it so that blocking anything in the 4th or 5th biome is a mistake? since they do so much damage per swing, you're going to get your stamina obliterated with a block. im really struggling against just 2 wolves at once since they attack so fast and my iron mace will oftne miss them after the first attack, and going for the 3rd hit gets me hit again if i didnt get a parry off (almost impossible if they didnt attack simultaneously)

So going by a reddit deep dive into skill mechanics, blocking costs at most 25 stamina (which I think is 1.25 pips), scaling down based on what percentage of block power was used on the attack. Blocking does not convert health to stamina damage 1:1.

As long as you keep upgrading your shield blocking remains viable.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SynthesisAlpha
Jun 19, 2007

genericnick posted:

When are you supposed to upgrade from the banded shield? It seems to block everything I've encountered in the mountains.

Always upgrade your shield because the stamina cost of blocking is based on the fraction of your block power used to absorb damage. Blocking 80/80 uses 25 stamina, but blocking 80/100 uses (probably 20 but I don't know the formula).