Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mailer
Nov 4, 2009

Have you accepted The Void as your lord and savior?
The pull gets you a big chunk of health, then it goes on cooldown. After that you need to kill something that has already been hit by one of your powers to get any more. Lacking a teleport, and with the vast majority of the enemies in the demo being cover-seeking gun mooks, your only real shot at further healing is using your bomb then killing the guy you bombed. Then you advance through cover in a hail of bullets and now you're slightly closer and need healing again and both your abilities that allow you to hit targets at range are down since the flame wave has a painfully short range.

Outside of the demo, you straight up get fire bullets which turn every kill into a healing kill. You also get an aoe CC ability (not so useful in the demo) and a ranged aoe (would be very useful) as well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Disargeria
May 6, 2010

All Good Things are Wild and Free!
How do those healing abilities hold up for boss fights? Is everyone expected to have enough passive leech to do those at high level?

Mailer
Nov 4, 2009

Disargeria posted:

How do those healing abilities hold up for boss fights? Is everyone expected to have enough passive leech to do those at high level?

Only the tech's works, and yes. Tech can also heal the group with later abilities and mods. I assume weapon and/or skill leech will be a requirement for later content.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

Mailer posted:

The pull gets you a big chunk of health, then it goes on cooldown. After that you need to kill something that has already been hit by one of your powers to get any more. Lacking a teleport, and with the vast majority of the enemies in the demo being cover-seeking gun mooks, your only real shot at further healing is using your bomb then killing the guy you bombed. Then you advance through cover in a hail of bullets and now you're slightly closer and need healing again and both your abilities that allow you to hit targets at range are down since the flame wave has a painfully short range.

Outside of the demo, you straight up get fire bullets which turn every kill into a healing kill. You also get an aoe CC ability (not so useful in the demo) and a ranged aoe (would be very useful) as well.

I'm guessing you're aware, but for the benefit of anytime that didn't realize, the Pyro's melee also counts as a power that gets you kill healing.

Wherever I started having a problem, I realized the game had a solution or gave me new tools.

Rinkles fucked around with this message at 02:54 on Mar 8, 2021

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?
Pyro definitely feels like poo poo compared to the trickster or the devastator. I was playing with two friends and they were just teleporting everywhere murdering dudes and I was mostly trying to play catch up. When I was the other classes I was also teleporting everywhere and killing dudes, much more fun.

Haven't tried tech boi yet but I assume it won't feel quite as bad.

ZombyDog
Jul 11, 2001

Ere to fix yer gubbinz

dogstile posted:

Haven't tried tech boi yet but I assume it won't feel quite as bad.
I play Technomancer two ways - Solo I like a high damage low ROF rifle and I've got gear mods that boost blighted rounds - you can clear an area on a single cast of buffed up blighted rounds ( as long as you have a mod that returns 30% of your mag on kill ), with the traps & turret to deal with rushers. In co-op I switch to gear that buffs the trap & turret and switch to an AR or shotgun.

ZombyDog fucked around with this message at 04:49 on Mar 8, 2021

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

Mordja posted:

Idgi, Pyromancer has a heal-on-command with its flame pull ability, the second one you get. Hell, I thought it was the most consistent of all of them since it just gives you a big burst of health and doesn't need to kill. I'm sure there are mods and passives that'll improve its effectiveness too.

My Pyro has a gear mod that lets this ability hit two dudes. It's pretty nice.

Mailer
Nov 4, 2009

Rinkles posted:

I'm guessing you're aware, but for the benefit of anytime that didn't realize, the Pyro's melee also counts as a power that gets you kill healing.

Once you're in the thick of it you can raise all kinds of hell. The issue is getting in there in the first place, because every fight starts with you looking at a long series of waist-high cover walls and ranged enemies spread out towards the opposite end. Just a combination of a lack of abilities and the single type of Gears-ish fight that exists in the demo.

I can definitely see the opposite case: where you're fighting beasts and teleporting right into a mass of angry monsters that hit like a truck in melee is a very bad idea.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

I expected the pull to be more effective at getting enemies in your face.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

Rinkles posted:

They're the painkiller devs, it should do the painkiller thing.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Rinkles posted:

Honestly, after playing my Pyro for a while, I completely forgot that it had a pull at all, I sort of thought it just forced them out of cover and/or staggered them a bit. I don't even notice the pull part.

ICR
Dec 31, 2008

FutureCop posted:

I don't understand it. I played the demo, really disliked it, and then I gave it another go based on advice in this thread, and while it was a little more fun, I still mostly disliked it.

Yet, I still keep not only coming back to this thread, but there's some sort of pull that makes me want to reinstall to play the demo more and even, god forbid, consider purchasing the game. Why in the world do I feel like playing this game more? I'm not interested in the story and just skip through it all, the game was janky and constantly crashed, and the gunplay is, for the most part, incredibly basic to the point of being boring. What the hell is happening to me to make me act in this illogical way? Is this the ICR effect?

Welcome to heck. It’s a cool place. Stay awhile and glisten!

This is also called March-April 2021, when ain’t poo poo coming out to play for awhile!

Tei
Feb 19, 2011

FutureCop posted:

I don't understand it. I played the demo, really disliked it, and then I gave it another go based on advice in this thread, and while it was a little more fun, I still mostly disliked it.

Is called Ronald Reagan Ponny Joke effect.

https://www.mondaymorningmemo.com/got-to-be-a-pony-in-here-somewhere/

Ordeith
Oct 26, 2002

If I troll again, I will eat Hello Kitty's brains with a spork

Rinkles posted:

It applies ash, you can make it multi target (mod), you can boost its healing (against burning - I use this, so 100% life per use), etc. I like it.

I played Pyro extensively, and basically: it can't compete single target dps, at least at level 7. AoE is very good, though.

And that's fine. I hope this isn't going to be yet another looter shooter where highlight reels of one class doing a 'frozen Gauss single clip kill' have hordes calling for re-balancing.

Inferior
Oct 19, 2012

Been playing this a bit over the last few days.

Good stuff:
- Trickster fun. Never taking cover ever, just teleporting across the battlefield and slicing dudes up.
- Loot interesting. Coming off a thousand loot games where the upgrades are like, "+1.3% damage to burning enemies on a Tuesday", it's cool that the loot in Outriders has useful bonuses attached, even early on.
- Ditto skills. It's good that you can start putting together a build from the beginning, instead of it being an endgame thing.
- That Lt. getting sniped halfway through his War is Hell speech was pretty great.

Bad stuff:
- This is a third person cover shooter straight outta the Xbox 360 Golden Age of Third Person Cover Shooters. By which I mean, everyone is a macho rear end in a top hat muttering lovely oneliners as they roadie run through a boring brown world gunning down thinly veiled War on Terror enemies (Insurgents, natch) and the occasional badly designed monster.
- Several crashes and network issues while playing on a PS5, which isn't a good sign.

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

The whole concept of 'balance', 'meta' and 'prepping for retail in the demo' 10 minute clickbait youtube videos just cracks me the gently caress up

Not every game has to be AAA quality Destiny-redux, nor does every looter have to be guaranteed to have 10,000 hours of replayability and grind

I feel like wildly out of place expectations are going to be met with extreme disappointment here

For my part I've got this slotted roughly into the same mental bucket as Remnant - fun, a little jank, some good ideas, had a great time with friends in coop for awhile, then put it down

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?
That's roughly where i'm at. From what i've seen its just that they've created four classes and it seems like everyone is just gonna use two, whereas i'd rather I saw people using all four but after using pyro for an hour i'm never touching that again :v:

Lumpy
Apr 26, 2002

La! La! La! Laaaa!

College Slice

victrix posted:

The whole concept of 'balance', 'meta' and 'prepping for retail in the demo' 10 minute clickbait youtube videos just cracks me the gently caress up

Not every game has to be AAA quality Destiny-redux, nor does every looter have to be guaranteed to have 10,000 hours of replayability and grind

I feel like wildly out of place expectations are going to be met with extreme disappointment here

For my part I've got this slotted roughly into the same mental bucket as Remnant - fun, a little jank, some good ideas, had a great time with friends in coop for awhile, then put it down

This sums it up pretty well. I plan on getting it on release, having some fun co-opping with friends for a while, and moving on. It's not ground-breaking, life-changing or any of that, and that is A-Okay. In a way, it's refreshing that it doesn't seem to want to be a "You will play this for 2000 hours and we live and die by our engagement numbers!" thing.

Mailer
Nov 4, 2009

Either you ignored the cutscenes and saw the ability-modifying loot right at the end and saw what it was going to be... or you rolled your eyes at the cutscenes and decided to pass on such a poo poo narrative. Either way you are correct and you should get/notget the game.

The only funny part of all this, across multiple places, has been how zero people have played Diablo or Borderlands or one of the many loot-based games since those and it's all relating back to Destiny.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Outriders incorporates a lot of lessons that BL3 failed to pick up on. All classes have straightforward but dynamic healing abilities. All classes have multiple action skills, and you quickly get more. Interesting loot early on. Side missions are repeatable. A proper Torment analog. A Rifts analog. Skippable cutscenes (mostly), for god's sake.

Hulk Krogan
Mar 25, 2005

Yeah I finally got around to playing BL3 when it was $10 on the epic store and I had way more fun with this demo than I did with 90% of that game.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Hulk Krogan posted:

Yeah I finally got around to playing BL3 when it was $10 on the epic store and I had way more fun with this demo than I did with 90% of that game.

My Steam library says I got 67 minutes into BL3 and never played it again. I've gotten far more playtime out of this demo than I did from BL3.

Orv
May 4, 2011

Mailer posted:

Either you ignored the cutscenes and saw the ability-modifying loot right at the end and saw what it was going to be... or you rolled your eyes at the cutscenes and decided to pass on such a poo poo narrative. Either way you are correct and you should get/notget the game.

The only funny part of all this, across multiple places, has been how zero people have played Diablo or Borderlands or one of the many loot-based games since those and it's all relating back to Destiny.

Holding up Borderlands as a good loot game (or shooter) is a pretty low bar, to be fair.

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

They're also old as gently caress

This is broadly not a healthy genre, despite how many hours people put into it

(no comment on whether that's healthy either :v:)

Simone Magus
Sep 30, 2020

by VideoGames

Hulk Krogan posted:

I had a ton of fun with BL2 last year but yeah something about 3 just felt off and I've barely played it at all

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?
Borderlands was carried by being a mostly competent shooter with fun writing.

Ever since 2 the writings been loving terrible.

moist turtleneck
Jul 17, 2003

Represent.

Dinosaur Gum
BL3 felt like they were just forced to make the same game again and everything just felt sort of hollow

One thing I'll hand to BL3 is that the map is a lot better, the icons in Outriders are tiny and I'd like to have more of an indication of where the hell I am on the map and maybe have the map center to where I am (this is a super tiny nit pick and I'm sure the map will get enhanced in the future)

also I was sad to see an old coworker pop up in the credits in BL3 as a special thanks since he got forced to make Battleborn when he was told he was going to work on BL3 when he got hired

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

I liked Borderlands 3 a whole lot (by contrast I didn't like BL2 that much at all). I thought the shooting in that game felt extremely good and the loot treadmill was really well balanced. I think the shooting in that game feels better than in this one but with the combination of powers this one is a lot more fun to play. I also actually like the story in the demo. Outside of the prolong being too long, I liked how extreme everyone was contrasted with how self-aware your PC is. The facial animations are really well done and I'm sure everyone will be able to see and appreciate them more when the cutscenes aren't capped at 30fps. I'm looking forward to seeing how the story plays out.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Jimbot posted:

I think the shooting in that game feels better than in this one

There's no comparison. Outrider's shooting is barely adequate.

moist turtleneck posted:

BL3 felt like they were just forced to make the same game again and everything just felt sort of hollow

One thing I'll hand to BL3 is that the map is a lot better, the icons in Outriders are tiny and I'd like to have more of an indication of where the hell I am on the map and maybe have the map center to where I am (this is a super tiny nit pick and I'm sure the map will get enhanced in the future)

Outriders has some info presentation issues. But at least the menus don't lag on consoles!

moist turtleneck posted:

also I was sad to see an old coworker pop up in the credits in BL3 as a special thanks since he got forced to make Battleborn when he was told he was going to work on BL3 when he got hired

BL3 had a hosed up production. Ended up costing something like $150 million.

Estel
May 4, 2010
I started trying the Pyro and i don't understand all the people saying it's the worst class. I run into groups of enemies use my skills or melee, set everything on fire and every time something dies i get 25% of my health back.

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

When a tree grows, it is soft and pliable. But when it's dry and hard, it dies.

Hardness and strength are death's companions. Flexibility and softness are the embodiment of life.

That which has become hard shall not triumph.

Rinkles posted:

BL3 had a hosed up production. Ended up costing something like $150 million.

luckily Sega had their back

Mailer
Nov 4, 2009

Orv posted:

Holding up Borderlands as a good loot game (or shooter) is a pretty low bar, to be fair.

I mean, BL2 definitely had an obscene amount of content. There were... a lot of issues, but hey Everquest was once the most amazing MMO ever and these days the mechanics seem like a hellscape. The Presequel was where they cashed in any goodwill in pursuit of those sweet blind season passes. By the time BL3 rolled around the only thing I remember about it was everyone loved getting lots of loot so they declared it a bug and "fixed" it. It's not a good example, but a game where you repeat content at increasing difficulty for progressively better loot drops is a far more apt comparison than Destiny's MMO trappings.

Diablo is probably the closest example, and 3's eventual form more than 2. Unfortunately the space has been kind of cursed and the two games I should point to, Avengers and Anthem, were both massive failures for other reasons. I don't have a good comparison of a loot-based game in the last five years that isn't a live service because high profile ones don't exist and the smaller scale ones I haven't played.

brainSnakes
Jul 11, 2011

I'd never save you in a million years
I enjoyed Borderlands 3 but it’s a very flawed game. I went from searching for strong max level guns to having them and realizing I had nothing to really do with them. The shooting was fun and good, the enemies were less so.

Also the best modern arpg is Grim Dawn and no other looty game I’ve found can compete.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?

Estel posted:

I started trying the Pyro and i don't understand all the people saying it's the worst class. I run into groups of enemies use my skills or melee, set everything on fire and every time something dies i get 25% of my health back.

With the other three classes I don't have that awkward run to get into health restore range. The other classes (at least in the demo) have teleports or long range healing.

enigmatikone
Sep 30, 2009

Mordja posted:

They're the painkiller devs, it should do the painkiller thing.

No, those people left and formed the The Astronauts. They put out The Vanishing of Ethan Carter and are now working on the upcoming Witchfire.

enigmatikone fucked around with this message at 21:50 on Mar 8, 2021

Mjolnerd
Jan 28, 2006

Smellrose

dogstile posted:

With the other three classes I don't have that awkward run to get into health restore range. The other classes (at least in the demo) have teleports or long range healing.

I absolutely hated Devastator until I got the reflect bullets ability and the blue armor mods to modify it. Then I turned into what I think of a God-like Magneto where the more out in the open and people could shoot me at once, the faster everything I barely glanced at just melted.

maybe Pyro just doesn't reach it's stride until another level/ability/mod break point.

Estel
May 4, 2010
I'm playing Pyro exactly as i play the Devastator, Devastator is more tank focused and Pyro more AoE damage dealer but the gameplay is the same, the only difference is that with the Pyro you have to use first your skills or your melee instead of just shooting.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
One thing that made Pyro click with me was realizing its first skill has a lot more range than it seems, so hanging back, letting mooks line up and then healing off their frying ended up working pretty well.

Of course Pyro apologism aside, Trickster's is still easily #1.

enigmatikone
Sep 30, 2009

Mordja posted:

One thing that made Pyro click with me was realizing its first skill has a lot more range than it seems, so hanging back, letting mooks line up and then healing off their frying ended up working pretty well.

Of course Pyro apologism aside, Trickster's is still easily #1.

Pyro suffers because the devs chose to forego having Volcanic Rounds earlier in its kit instead of the flashier Thermal Bomb.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mailer
Nov 4, 2009

enigmatikone posted:

Pyro suffers because the devs chose to forego having Volcanic Rounds earlier in its kit instead of the flashier Thermal Bomb.

Another hour in and you'd probably be level 9 (or whatever it is) to unlock it anyway. Overheat is probably going to wind up being a good ability but is a complete dud in the demo. Pyromancer, like Trickster/Devastator, is perfectly fine once he gets in and everyone is on fire and exploding. The issue is how you get into the enemy clusterfuck to begin with when everything you can currently play is an obstacle course ripped from Gears. It overvalues teleports and undervalues poison/fire due to how fast everything falls over.

I might play around with the pyro kit some more in the demo and see if I can get a good modded setup, but it felt like a class that would be a lot better in a game with swarming melee baddies (like the full game has) instead of mooks that immediately spread out and run for waist-high cover.