Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

avoid doorways
Jun 6, 2010

'twas brillig
Gun Saliva
the servers have great dramatic timing (cw: late game story spoilers)

https://clips.twitch.tv/AgileMushyLemurHeyGuys-V4vtCPwPd0a2AGcL

https://clips.twitch.tv/GrotesqueDepressedGerbilANELE-Aa5vmX5pBlkEqoS8

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phoix
Jul 20, 2006

Memnaelar posted:

(I will never play the dead-voiced male variant).

Whenever you pick up a collectible he sounds like Jon Hamm trying to do a Sam Elliott impersonation.

Memnaelar
Feb 21, 2013

WHO is the goodest girl?

This is what happens when you take a break from evangelizing in Night City to play video games. GET BACK TO WORK PROPHET.

ZeeBoi
Jan 17, 2001

:newlol:

Deakul
Apr 2, 2012

PAM PA RAM

PAM PAM PARAAAAM!

It would be really cool if you could fast travel to the other areas without talking to Jakub and dealing with 12 more load screens.

Memnaelar
Feb 21, 2013

WHO is the goodest girl?

yeah.... no.

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

Deakul posted:

It would be really cool if you could fast travel to the other areas without talking to Jakub and dealing with 12 more load screens.

Yeah it's an insanely stupid limitation.

Elendil004
Mar 22, 2003

The prognosis
is not good.

The april fool was us thinking this game would launch with enough capacity to be playable.

Saltpowered
Apr 12, 2010

Chief Executive Officer
Awful Industries, LLC

FutureCop posted:

Are you guys talking about the giant lava volcano spider looking boss thing? I was randomly watching a streamer fight this and they were complaining at how boring and bullet-spongy it was as a solo fight: they only beat it once they got one of their friends to help co-op it down. It did seem pretty spongy and I'd hate it the game doesn't balance itself for solo, but I was curious if they were just confused and missing some sort of weakpoint to exploit, or maybe they forced themselves into too high a world tier for their equipment, mayhaps.

I think the issue most people run into with the boss is that their world tier has been steadily growing and is probably ~7 by the time they get to the boss. At 7+, the boss is very spongey. It is much faster at 5. There are also weak spots.

Shaman Tank Spec posted:

I disliked that boss because it almost completely invalidated my Trickster build (Time Knife, time slow down bubble, teleport behind enemy). You flat out can't teleport behind that boss (literally says "you can't teleport behind this enemy"), Time Knife does very little damage and of course doesn't paralyze or heal you, and the time slow also doesn't do poo poo.

I had to completely swap my talents and go with the "empower your next clip of bullets" power to wipe the floor with the bastard. Even then it took forever.

This is also an issue that some builds just don't feel as good with it. As the lava starts building up across the room, my devastator dive would drop me in the lava and wasn't really usable except on the spiders.

ErrEff
Feb 13, 2012

ZeeBoi
Jan 17, 2001

Yeah but the avengers server is up.

:owned:

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender
Are we still offriders?

Memnaelar
Feb 21, 2013

WHO is the goodest girl?
I like what those numbers say about potential DLC. Assuming they ever fix the base game. ;-)

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

lol everything was going so well last night, and this morning, and then the servers decided to poo poo the bed. This isn't just a hiccup either, they have been down for over 30 minutes now.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Elendil004 posted:

The april fool was us thinking this game would launch with enough capacity to be playable.

That's the thing too, Outriders uses Microsoft Azure, so it can adjust its capacity on the fly as needed to keep up with the load.

Memnaelar
Feb 21, 2013

WHO is the goodest girl?

I said come in! posted:

lol everything was going so well last night, and this morning, and then the servers decided to poo poo the bed. This isn't just a hiccup either, they have been down for over 30 minutes now.

Yeah, I played from 11 PM to 3 AM without a hitch. Ah well.

Ragnar Gunvald
May 13, 2015

Cool and good.
Well I picked a great time to try and play this for the first time didn't I.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender

Ragnar Gunvald posted:

Well I picked a great time to try and play this for the first time didn't I.

Welcome to the offriders.

Skyl3lazer
Aug 27, 2007

[Dooting Stealthily]

Memnaelar posted:

Yeah, I played from 11 PM to 3 AM without a hitch. Ah well.

I'm shocked that people who played during the dead man's hours didn't run in to server capacity issues

Memnaelar
Feb 21, 2013

WHO is the goodest girl?

Skyl3lazer posted:

I'm shocked that people who played during the dead man's hours didn't run in to server capacity issues

I'm shocked that you somehow managed to one-up my useless comment.

Skyl3lazer
Aug 27, 2007

[Dooting Stealthily]

Memnaelar posted:

I'm shocked that you somehow managed to one-up my useless comment.

it's a talent

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender
Annnnd servers are back up.

Azathoth Prime
Feb 20, 2004

Free 2nd day shipping on all eldritch horrors.

Tenzarin posted:

Annnnd servers are back up.

Not for me. Right before a big holiday weekend and the game is completely unplayable. Tons of people checking it out because it's included in GamePass. What a great way to introduce their game to the world!
It's actually kind of impressive how hard they are faceplanting.

Azathoth Prime fucked around with this message at 20:01 on Apr 2, 2021

ICR
Dec 31, 2008

We’ll probably cure cancer and have world peace by the time companies can figure out how to not have server issues on launch days.

The year 3058, Cyberpunk 472629 has launched alongside Outriders 12. The servers continue to crash.

Because the world is gone. Poof.

Sandwolf
Jan 23, 2007

i'll be harpo

Azathoth Prime posted:

It's actually kind of impressive how hard they are faceplanting.

do you not remember Cyberpunk 2077's release like 6 months ago?

Memnaelar
Feb 21, 2013

WHO is the goodest girl?

Skyl3lazer posted:

it's a talent

Why hornbros gotta fight? We're square, offrider.

Azathoth Prime
Feb 20, 2004

Sandwolf posted:

That was an impressive faceplant as well. One big failure does not invalidate another one, especially when it's a different set of people.

e: CP2077 was buggy as poo poo and unplayable on some platforms due to performance. Outriders is just completely unplayable on any platform, right after they gave it out for "free" with GamePass. They are both impressive ways to fail at delivering a working product.

Azathoth Prime fucked around with this message at 20:12 on Apr 2, 2021

Memnaelar
Feb 21, 2013

WHO is the goodest girl?

Azathoth Prime posted:

That was an impressive faceplant as well. One big failure does not invalidate another one, especially when it's a different set of people.

A lot of fun games have had similar faceplants at launch. It's recoverable if they get their crap together in the next week or so. My hope is this'll go down more as a Monster Hunter World than a, um, Wolcen or whatever.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

ICR posted:

We’ll probably cure cancer and have world peace by the time companies can figure out how to not have server issues on launch days.

It's easy but it costs money and then you don't need it anymore after 72 hours, so they don't care to do it. Even though that's the point of Azure for games. It was a major marketing point for Microsoft.

Azathoth Prime
Feb 20, 2004

Memnaelar posted:

A lot of fun games have had similar faceplants at launch. It's recoverable if they get their crap together in the next week or so. My hope is this'll go down more as a Monster Hunter World than a, um, Wolcen or whatever.

Agreed. The unique part here is that there are a LOT of people like me who haven't been following the game and are just now looking at it because GamePass said "hey, here's this new thing for you to check out". That stuff usually gets 2-3 attempts from me (max) before I write it off as a bad game and move on to one of the hundreds of other options. Once I leave, I don't go back. I've paid nothing for this game and have no investment in it. First impressions are really important when there's no barrier to leaving.

ZeeBoi
Jan 17, 2001

Hey ICR is your next game thread gonna be about that Robin Hood PvPvE multiplayer game? ;)

Pandaal
Mar 7, 2020

Azathoth Prime posted:

Agreed. The unique part here is that there are a LOT of people like me who haven't been following the game and are just now looking at it because GamePass said "hey, here's this new thing for you to check out". That stuff usually gets 2-3 attempts from me (max) before I write it off as a bad game and move on to one of the hundreds of other options. Once I leave, I don't go back. I've paid nothing for this game and have no investment in it. First impressions are really important when there's no barrier to leaving.

So... are people supposed to care that someone who has a passing interest in the game and didn't even really play it thinks it's bad?

Imagine walking past a restaurant, digging looking at the menu, then seeing there's a line and walking away... Are people gonna take you seriously when you say the restaurant is poo poo?

ICR
Dec 31, 2008

ZeeBoi posted:

Hey ICR is your next game thread gonna be about that Robin Hood PvPvE multiplayer game? ;)

I don’t even know about this one!

PvPvE games don’t really do it for me typically :(

Or at least right now, just not into that genre personally.

Mango Polo
Aug 4, 2007
Went to check twitter and was not disappointed.

Powerful "WE THE GAMERS" energy

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf

Lawlicaust posted:

I think the issue most people run into with the boss is that their world tier has been steadily growing and is probably ~7 by the time they get to the boss. At 7+, the boss is very spongey. It is much faster at 5. There are also weak spots.

This is also an issue that some builds just don't feel as good with it. As the lava starts building up across the room, my devastator dive would drop me in the lava and wasn't really usable except on the spiders.

I too ran in to that boss as a trickster with my trash clearing abilities and just totally failed on it (As noted, shotguns loving suck, bubble, knife, and teleport do nothing, etc). I tried to stand in the lava to die only to see that the lava didn't actually damage me. I had to wait for the spider to melee me to death before I could exit out and and swap to twisted rounds and a LMG + semi-auto rifle which blasted the boss down in notime flat.

Also it wasn't initially super obvious to shoot the plates on it's back and expose the weak point to hit in p1/p2, if you don't do that there's no way you'd have enough ammo to kill it in a reasonable amount of time.

Azathoth Prime
Feb 20, 2004

Pandaal posted:

So... are people supposed to care that someone who has a passing interest in the game and didn't even really play it thinks it's bad?

Imagine walking past a restaurant, digging looking at the menu, then seeing there's a line and walking away... Are people gonna take you seriously when you say the restaurant is poo poo?

This is not walking past an obviously busy restaurant. This is walking past a restaurant that's been closed because someone started a grease fire in the kitchen.

There is no line to wait in to get into the servers like most MMOs have on busy launches. This is just straight up game is unplayable on any platform in any way. Yes I'm a filthy casual. We make up most of the market. Maybe they can survive on only the hardcore fans who've been following this game and know its potential. I certainly hope so, it sounds like it's a fun game from what I'm reading in this thread and elsewhere.

They made some very poor choices in choosing to put this on GamePass the same day it launched. That's my point. Launch it, get the services stabilized, and THEN invite the screaming hordes of casuals like me to come take a look.

e: I guess you could argue that the demo was a soft launch, and their contract may have forced them to be on GamePass on launch day. It's still a terrible first impression for a lot of people, and impressions last. I'll shut up now, it's not contributing to the conversation in a meaningful way.

Azathoth Prime fucked around with this message at 20:51 on Apr 2, 2021

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Sandwolf posted:

That had an impressive 10 minutes into launch, it brought down both Steam, and GOG.com the instant the game went live, because the server load and number of players on both platforms at once launching the game was too much.

Pandaal
Mar 7, 2020

Azathoth Prime posted:

This is not walking past an obviously busy restaurant. This is walking past a restaurant that's been closed because someone started a grease fire in the kitchen.

There is no line to wait in to get into the servers like most MMOs have on busy launches. This is just straight up game is unplayable on any platform in any way. Yes I'm a filthy casual. We make up most of the market. Maybe they can survive on only the hardcore fans who've been following this game and know its potential. I certainly hope so, it sounds like it's a fun game from what I'm reading in this thread and elsewhere.

They made some very poor choices in choosing to put this on GamePass the same day it launched. That's my point. Launch it, get the services stabilized, and THEN invite the screaming hordes of casuals like me to come take a look.

If it's a fun game people are going to continue to "walk past" it in 3 days when the server issues are over with and they'll likely continue to play it. Sure, the casual observer doesn't have incentive to jump on day one and deal with server issues, but *unlike* you the vast majority of people who casually try this game are going to come by it later on. They won't be faced with their impatience over 48 hours of server issues apparently spoiling the whole experience.

My point is, if your argument is that these types of issues are going to turn away people who just want to try it out *right now*, you may be right. But that's not the number you think it is... many more people will be patient (as we're unfortunately forced to be with every game launch nowadays) or won't even know about these issues because it will work when they get around to it in a week. Server issues at launch won't kill the game if it's good, and they don't make it a "bad game" outright.

Azathoth Prime
Feb 20, 2004

Pandaal posted:

If it's a fun game people are going to continue to "walk past" it in 3 days when the server issues are over with and they'll likely continue to play it. Sure, the casual observer doesn't have incentive to jump on day one and deal with server issues, but *unlike* you the vast majority of people who casually try this game are going to come by it later on. They won't be faced with their impatience over 48 hours of server issues apparently spoiling the whole experience.

My point is, if your argument is that these types of issues are going to turn away people who just want to try it out *right now*, you may be right. But that's not the number you think it is... many more people will be patient (as we're unfortunately forced to be with every game launch nowadays) or won't even know about these issues because it will work when they get around to it in a week. Server issues at launch won't kill the game if it's good, and they don't make it a "bad game" outright.

That's a good point and "bad" was a poor choice of words on my part. I'll STFU and let the thread move on. :)

Azathoth Prime fucked around with this message at 20:54 on Apr 2, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cerebral
Oct 24, 2002

https://twitter.com/Outriders/status/1378072182920712192

Fingers crossed that the old, "turn it off and turn it back on" trick works for them like it does for all of my electronics.