Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.

khwarezm posted:

:shrug: I think he presents his superheroes as being godlike culminations of human success that operate as torchbearers for the rest of humanity and should not be held down by outside constraints. I think his continued interest in the work of Ayn Rand

He doesn't have "continued interest in the works of Ayn Rand". He likes The Fountainhead. He has never espoused any other praise for any aspect of her life or career, in fact quite the opposite. He's described her, personally, as a crank that drank her own Kool-Aid.

This insane idea - that because somebody likes the work of a certain artist they also believe what the artist believed - is very obviously a bad faith attempt to attack the character of a director who has never had a whiff of controversy around how they conduct themselves professionally or personally, but made cape movies that mediocre nerd dipshits don't like.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

The very first public thing that Superman does in Man of Steel is let the Army arrest him and parade him down a hallway with handcuffs on.

In Batman v Superman, Batman's lawless behavior is shown to be completely wrong and lead to a whole bunch of problems.

Watchmen, obviously, the title is right there! Who is watching these people and making sure they hold to their ideals?

300, of course, the entire society is nothing but constraints to produce their Ultimate Warrior assholes.

The idea that Snyder doesn't want people held back is ludicrous. He has made entire movies about the necessity of constraining the individual to moral action and the difficulty in doing so and the mixed results that can happen!

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

khwarezm posted:

He also calls her incredible, and clearly thinks positively about her hypothetical interactions with Trump or Reagan.

I also think positively about the idea of an old Russian lady yelling at a couple of pieces of poo poo about how stupid they are. Guess I'm an Objectivist now too. drat.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

khwarezm posted:

Something that's really confusing me about this conversation is the way people keep on bringing up Marvel movies as some kind of counter point because Iron Man in particular is a Neoliberal wet dream. Do you guys think that I am implicitly that Marvel is not also easily read in an Objectivist or at least extremely pro-capitalist manner because I think that's a reading that can work for Snyder's movies?

Who gives a poo poo what you think? So far your entire thesis has been cribbed Youtuber opinions and the fact that Snyder has spoken highly of The Fountainhead and Rand's kookiness re: her lovely philosophy. You're boring. Go away.

khwarezm posted:

I take it that you didn't construct a scenario in your head where Ayn Rand in particular epically owns Trump and Reagan did you?

You're doing that awful thing from Youtube, where you take 2 sentences somebody said once and act like you're able to infer an entire personality and motivation from them. Dumb.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

khwarezm posted:

I'm sorry but I simply don't care about the Marvel stuff, it doesn't relate at all to anything I have been saying and I didn't even mention it in passing. Do I have to bring it up to in this Zack Snyder's Justice League thread just to show I'm on the level because you automatically think 'something something Marvel fanboy'?

Gosh yeah, isn't it annoying when somebody takes a couple of sentences you've said and uses it to construct an elaborate headcannon of beliefs you don't hold? Anyway....

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

His father is not apathetic about his fate...your inability to read the basic emotional content of a scene is going to be a big barrier in actually understanding the movie.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

Well, I guess I'll keep it to Hard Boiled since its most fresh in my mind.

I think that the overall construction of the team points to a preoccupation with what I said about ultimate representations of humanity. Tequila is a police officer and by his chief's comment even more powerful than the rest of the department. Alan is as far into the criminal underworld as you can possibly get without actually being a criminal, unapproachable to other cops in terms of his position within a criminal structure, as the joke goes his super-power is that he's loyal.

I think that Alan's arc is the most important in the film and is preoccupied with pushing past his hang ups about his killings to fully come to grips with the fact that he is transcendentally beyond cop or criminal at that point and has gigantic power.

Arrayed against this is Johnny and Mad Dog. Mad Dog is servile to Johnny and his aims, he carries out his whims in some desperate belief that being a good lap-dog will win favor in the long run despite how clearly futile this is. Johnny and Mad Dog's aim to smuggle guns to become rich and find enough money to dominate the criminal underworld. That sense of being deprived of one's individuality and ability to carve out ones own fate really does seem quite similar to the way in which the Chinese takeover has been scare-mongered about in a lot of Hong Kong cinema over the decades, and Tequila and Alan fight ferociously to prevent that from happening.

Generally speaking Tequila seems to mostly just exist on his own with no oversight from any other body or indication that any civilian authority even knows or has a say about it. The HKPD and gangs do to some degree but they are far beyond 'normal' humans. At best I guess you have The Chief in his capacity as a commissioner for Hong Kong, and the drug labs, though I don't believe the assassination of Uncle Hoi was 'sanctioned' and the labs seem to be in a fairly grey area when it comes to their relationship with the criminal underworld. There's no debate about storming a hospital or how best to involve the various governments of the world, Alan and Tequila take action on their own with no indication its really accountable to anybody. They help civilians, a few times anyway, but it consistently tends to set up these kinds of encounters as fundamentally powerless and ultimately passive individuals being deigned to receive the grace of the amazing abilities of the various team members, like Alan or Tequila.

So I think all that ultimately gives me an interpretation that the film is about unfettered super people doing whatever needs to be done for the good of the world, and where they are ultimately the supreme authority due to the their sheer power. I don't know if I have much more to say on this but its how I took it.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

I mean, Seven Samurai came out in 1956. Atlas Shrugged had literally not been written and Objectivism wasn't a thing, and yet here we have a movie about 7 powerful individuals coming together to help a bunch of incapable peasants.

Die Hard is about a bunch of weak, insipid, and corrupt institutions unable to effectively check Hans Gruber and only one man, super-heroic cop John McClane, can take him down. Die Hard is not an Objectivist movie, nobody thinks about it in those terms at all.

Ghostbusters is about 4 smart and capable dudes working together to do something nobody else can do until the weak and jealous state steps in and interferes, causing all sorts of problems. Nobody thinks of this as Objectivism, in fact it's been noted for years that this is typical Reaganite individualism. The last act of the movie is regular people chanting and cheering for them, and they do in fact save the state from annihilation.

Pretty much every action movie is the hero vs. the villains with everyone else being tertiary characters or mooks to be mowed down by the aforementioned hero/villain. So saying "Zack Snyder's films are thematically the same as every other action movie" tells us nothing about him as a director any more than saying "Zack Snyder has 2 arms and 2 legs and a head". It's a fact but not an illuminating one.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

Gatts posted:

I’m imagining the guy from Die Hard that tries to schmooze Hams Gruber

Ellis. Terrio should have sent him one of these shirts:

https://www.cafepress.com/dont_be_ellis

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

I would bet 20 bucks that Snyder drew that Parademon/Batman sketch. I've seen his storyboards and it's got his style.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

2house2fly posted:

One weird thing that jumped out at me about Josstice League was that the sketch is different

Gives credibility to my theory that the original one was a Snyder drawing as Whedon seemed to want to remove every bit of him from the movie.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

Brokeback Mountain is about wanting something that you can't have and how that slowly kills your soul. The idea that it's about guys kissing is insultingly basic.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

The video description is one for the ages:

"A controversial tribute to the victims of the 9/11 attacks by the Budweiser Clydesdales and Zack Snyder, who would years later vaporize a section of New York and send Superman crashing into buildings on purpose. This commercial only aired once at the Super Bowl, with a digitally modernized version released in 2011. A Believe Media production."

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

SuperTeeJay posted:

Disappointing that this doesn't include Snyder's trademark bullet/shell casing shot but with an empty can of Bud being dropped.

Somethingawful needs a Discord-style reaction system, because this is a very funny image and I have nothing to add to it other than "lol".

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Imagine if Peter Jackson had been forced out halfway through The Two Towers or Return of the King.

Not only would he have been forced out, but first he would have to have cut Fellowship by half an hour (the Extended Version would still be released, so the gap would have been even wider between the DVD and the Theatrical experience). Then, after firing Jackson, the studio would have hired McG would take over and finish the movies. He would demand a moustache be digitally added to Gollum.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

The thing that wilds me out was the new information from Terrio that the OG BvS script they gave him was even darker and more vicious. That was not something we knew before about a month ago and it's one of those "everything you thought you knew about the situation was wrong" moments for me. Like most people I had assumed that it was Snyder and Terrio who went for more grit in the script; the fact is that they were the ones softening up the movie!

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

2house2fly posted:

I can sort of imagine a similar scene in an Avengers film, where Pepper Potts would be kidnapped by terrorists and they punch her and instead of cowering as they expect she goes "ooooh big mistake" and then Iron Man comes along and blows them all up badassly

Interestingly enough, this is how the CW show Lois and Superman handles a situation. Lois is getting attacked by a big goon and presses her ultrasonic "Superman Summoning Pager", makes a quip, and then Superman just crashes through the wall and smashes the dude, no questions asked.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

Yes it's very obvious that Batman wants Superman to think that he has control of the situation when it's the exact opposite the entire time. There's even that amusing part where Batman is just beating Superman's face in and then the Kryptonite starts to wear off at Superman just stops reacting to his punches. Batman makes an exaggerated "oh poo poo I'm in trouble" face before hitting Supes with yet another Kryptonite round and throwing him down a stairwell to the exact spot he wanted him all along. He was never in the slightest amount of trouble.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

The most Evil Superman already exists and he's called Darkseid. Seriously: he's the interesting version of that character. Everything else is just SuperBullies for the most part.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

hiddenriverninja posted:

Is Brightburn any good?

It is the definition of "rote execution" (both literally and figuratively)

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

smoobles posted:

celebrating 40 w/ a 4 hour 4K

One of the few posts I've read that I would describe as "buttery". That is some delicious alliteration, thanks.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

That's still kind of dancing around the really scary outcome, which is just Superman with the moral compass of an American boy from Kansas. :v:

Superman confidently standing in front of a burning library that he just eye-lasered, assuring us all it was full of nothing but books on critical race theory.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

Yeah I got mine.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

ALFbrot posted:

lmao at this probation

"hey, did anyone get their blu-ray?"
"yes"
"gently caress YOU"

"it's not wise to upset a mod. "
"but sir, nobody worries about upsetting a goon!"
"that's because goons don't probate you when they don't get their steel books. Mods have been known to do that."
"i see. I suggest a new strategy: don't post in Snyderdome."
(Machete Zombie sits back and puts their arms behind their head)

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

Guy A. Person posted:

Lolll I saw the reply last night but didn’t know their definition of “didn’t like” is “rated it below other movies”. Why are people such weird lunatics about comic book flicks?

I honestly feel like it's the merch. Wear a Superman logo on your shirt and you're going to feel ownership in a way you wouldn't otherwise.

Like, for instance, they're filming a new Indiana Jones right now. All signs point to it being terrible, but I haven't seen it get 20% of the heat that you get from Star Wars or Superman or w/e, because Indiana Jones never had a big toy/marketing push. On its face this muted reaction seems odd to me. Indy is a beloved 40 year old franchise that many, many people grew up with and saw as a kid - you would think that a new movie in production would be a huge deal and people would get fired up about it being on the wrong track - but yet the Internet has collectively shrugged and said that's too bad" and little else. Why the subdued discourse? My theory: there's zero feelings of ownership over Indy because there's nothing there outside of the movies. No one plays with Indy action figures (well I did, but they were only around for a year or so after Raiders of the Lost Ark). Indy doesn't have a logo. There's not a big cosplay thing because, while his outfit is iconic, it has no real life pizzaz. So Indiana Jones remains "just" a bunch of beloved movies that people enjoyed, maybe went out in their backyard or in a nearby field and pretended to have an expedition or something. Maybe they got a whip and learned to crack it a few times. Maybe they wanted to get a fedora but the dang incels ruined that.

The stuff you play with growing up has a big impact on you. Disney seems to have figured that out. For Batman and Superman it appears to be a happy accident from just hanging around for over 75 years and always having some base amount of toys and comics and books and media out there for the kiddos. etc.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

Necrothatcher posted:

it absolutely does

A picture of a hat and bullwhip is absolutely "Indiana Jones" but that's not a logo, it's more like his trademark.

RBA Starblade posted:

I think it's assumed it will suck at this point

Agreed but when has that stopped the discourse from complaining? Loudly, everywhere, constantly?

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

RBA Starblade posted:

The poster font's the logo

Ok I'm not going to argue this so just pretend I said "a logo that people want to wear on their bodies (like the Superman S, or Batman, or Captain America's shield. or w/e)"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

Well thank you for replying to my old post, I hadn't thought about that in a while. Plus I was very wrong that Indy didn't have merch, because there was literally comic books and custom Choose-Your-Own-Adventures called Find Your Fate that just slipped my mind. Nonetheless perhaps the muted reaction is because Indy doesn't take place in an alternate world where anything is possible, this locks off people's feelings of wonder and imagination? I don't know, I'm just spitballing. It really is baffling to me what caused one of the powerful contemporaries of Star Wars, a movie that featured one of the same actors even, to just sort of slip into "a good old movie series" instead of "the franchise that defines me, as a person". Maybe because there can only be one of those franchises by definition.