Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Our war against free speech cannot end until we silence this bronze beast!

Motherbox and boomtube are both way worse than anything named in the marvel movies as far as I can think

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Just finished it in two chunks

The good:
nice bonus character moments like Alfred does the tea cause he does it best and Bruce and Diana being awkward.

Gore! Wonder woman jumping off justice's sword to go splatter nonces. She's at least as badass as the mall scene from 84.

Steppenwolfs big CGI minion face getting all teary eyed

Cyborgs backstory hit me right in the feels

The bad:
darkseid doesn't have a single scrap of personality and I really dislike his look

Some of the worst lines are still in here. "we're a small group of reactionary terrorists"

Cyborgs dad dying horribly to make the box hot, I just prefer the whedon cut here.

Martha and LL having a heart to heart as one of the only scenes with multiple women and then secretly Martha is a terrible looking mastian manhunter drat this might be worse than the thirsty scene

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

when i realised the opening of the movie is now 5 minutes of supermans agonised death scream i knew we were in for the full zack

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

i liked cyborgs line in the joss cut about his dad being the monster

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

McCloud posted:

Any person who thinks Whedons cut is in any way an improvement over Snyders has a viewpoint that is entirely foreign to me.

in general i think ZSJL better, unless you want a normal sized movie
but theres individual elements i think were better in the joss version here and there, like not fridging both of cyborgs parents or making martha an alien,
there were some clunker lines i thought were joss but evidently weren't and there were some new elements i thought were equally clunky like darkseid and the anti-life plot

which is to be expected really, ZS is not jesus and joss isn't the devil

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

bushisms.txt posted:

There's no plane of existence where "thirsty" Lois is better than two women having a heart to heart even if one of them turns out to be an alien after the fact. It just doesn't add up. Not just the dialogue, the only mise en scene was when the wwe wrestler visited the whedon set.

lol if the alien is now outta the box i dont have to talk in spoiler tags

i disagree completely. two women talking, even about being thirsty, is better than two women having a character advancing emotional conversation and it turns out one of the women is actually a shapeshifting man tricking the other woman into doing something/telling her what she should do

its a baffling decision and i imagine it wasn't meant to be MM when that was originally filmed but they needed to set him up for ????????

why was MM in this lol

e: fwiw i can see your point, i just disagree. the actual scene was a lot better and i was enjoying it as a big improvement until it turned out martha was lol martian manhunter

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

can someone please tell me why MM was in this? i'm sitting here laughing just thinking about it

he looked so goofy and his name is so funny do they think he's getting a franchise?

the DC names are hilarious in general, the baddies are all over the place. Steppenwolf, De Sade and Darkside.
then me and my gf laughed literally every time someone said someone else smelled like motherbox which was often

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

i would absolutely watch the followup set in the madmaxverse though, its so goddamn edgy

am i mistaken or did joker imply he and batman are loving?
cause republican batfleck hate-loving joker at the end of the world is an incredibly good bad ending for the character

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Terror Sweat posted:

Saying who else will give you a reach around is a lot more than implying

good i didnt mishear that, its canon now

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

HORSE-SLAUGHTERER posted:

I got the NOW TV 7-day trial to watch this film and have to say that it looks pretty loving awful, mainly in that the apple TV app is jank as hell and it has absurd pricing (the expensive price they quote on the website is for 720p, and you have to pay £3 extra a month to "boost" it to 1080p)

yeah lol i got their free trial and then immediately cancelled and swapped to a lovely webrip with low fps that was a major upgrade

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Miching Mallecho posted:

Why did Whedon make the parademons into fear feeding bugs? If the studio mandated "the heroes can't kill" then all he had to do was have Superman punch him into the boom tube and Darkseid kills him.

No, the parademons turn on Steppenwolf because now he's afraid and they feed on fear. Good job Joss, you hack.

the parademons are pretty stupid in both, they're even less explained in the ZS one
the fear thing is so batman can wheeze "they smell... FEAR" at the end. i was looking forward to seeing the snydercut vrsion of that with gore but steppes death was cool anyway the poor bastard

The United States posted:

lol why is Ares red like the kool aid man in the theatrical cut invasion flashback?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5FadBhQyHtA&t=152s

also funny how not-Kratos and his axe basically do very little damage to stephenwolf, while it nearly kills darkside? I guess wolfy was smart enough to wear armor while darkside just went to fight gods with magic axes shirtless, like an idiot.

i forgot it was originally steppe getting driven back not darkseid, that makes much more sense imo and explains why he is disgraced.
the ZS version makes darkseid into a loser who got chumped by a wooden arrow and then forgot what planet he was on and convulutes things further with the anti-life equation

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

darkseid turns up to earth and gets owned by medieval weaponry and some gods
we then see steppe turn up to earth and tank loads of amazonian arrows and suplex a bunch of horsewomen (though actually the ZS version makes it clear the amazons are a threat to him which was good) and beats up WW, flash and cyborg (the new gods) for most of the movie

so imo the ZS cut makes it pretty clear steppe is stronger than darkseid or maybe darkseid just should have brought armour

as for the forgetting thing, dark seid discovers the anti life equation on earth, gets owned by an arrow then forgets where earth is

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Strom Cuzewon posted:

I'm glad that "we're a small group of reactionary terrorists" was a Snyder line, because its hands down the funniest bit in the entire movie. I have no idea why we needed anti-modern-world nihilists fighting an ancient greek goddess - it felt like one of those moments that was trying really hard to be about something but not actually saying anything coherent. But that line owned!

Also, I think I suck at movies, because I did not get the symbolism with black suit Superman. Like, he's hearing his father twice over, remembering who he is and how he's supposed to be an icon. And then he turns his back on the classic outfit and goes suddenly emo. Even though he's happy and chill now.

I have no idea what either of those scenes were trying to say.

i think a big part of the black suit is it tells you the evil batman future can still come to pass

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Darkseid seems like he'd be a lot weaker than superman which is why he corrupts him I assume.

DS is introduced being owned whereas steppe is introduced doing the owning, then steppe gets chumped by superman