Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010

Jimbot posted:

I mean, people are focusing on the line and just laughing at it without realizing that this is a Joker from Bruce's subconscious (this is a dream sequence/premonition, in his own words). So this is how Batman sees the Joker and it's legit amazing. It's a perfect joke referencing a meme instead of just putting it in there like you'd see in any other film.

I don’t think this is true, isn’t part of the whole plot that the Knightmare becomes true and they send the Flash back to warn about it?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010
If fun is stuff like Wonder Woman 1984 I hope this film is the least fun I’ve ever had in my life.

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010
Bill Maher recently had one of the founders of the Lincoln Project on his show the exact day they were accused of soliciting underage boys, lmao. Kind of can’t believe anyone is still posting his videos anywhere.

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010

KVeezy3 posted:

A more practical outcome here for the resolution of the saga may be a comic book adaptation, which means we'll all have to post in BSS.

Snyder said himself he would investigate options for a comics continuation, which would be the first trade I buy in years.

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010

Jimbot posted:

I rather have a movie.

I would too, but I think comics are the best case scenario barring some ludicrous scenario where HBO Max doubles its subscriptions in March.

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010

"Featured."

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010
https://twitter.com/BatmanvSuperman/status/1367613467805569024

“Expanded color” worries me a bit, didn’t they already brighten everything on the digital release?

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010

That is literally the job of a director lol. So odd how people who poo poo on Snyder movies all praise him for the things a director does but then poo poo on him for like, the script or the acting.

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010

thrawn527 posted:

One thing that I found interesting about the IGN review, that is a little spoilery so I won't get into it here, and warning before you go check out the review itself, is that the movie goes more in detail into Steppenwolf's specific motivations beyond, "MOTHER!" That's really fascinating poo poo, to me, and is making me look forward to Thursday even more. Why would Whedon cut that? I mean, beyond the usual, "Because he's really dumb."

Not to defend Whedon but in terms of editing he was given sort of an impossible job. I imagine cutting things that were too dark or heavy was his and/or WB’s first priority, but after that you also have to cut the things that a) make more economic sense (e.g saving everything about Darkseid for a future movie) or b) no longer make sense without that context. So once he cuts everything about Darkseid, he also has to cut the things about Steppenwolf’s relationship with him. Once he cuts Cyborg’s dad dying and etcetera, he also has to cut pretty much all of his origin story because it is based on that fact.

Again, not to defend Whedon - because the proper answer to this dilemma is “don’t take the job in the first place.”

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010

The REAL Goobusters posted:

I saw end game opening weekend and people went ape poo poo but I thought the movie was bafflingly awful. Such a huge downgrade from the previous film and it became this weird thing. It just felt so loving weird and I hadn’t felt that disconnect with the audience since Godzilla 2014

Infinity War is so much better than Endgame, it’s unreal. I can’t get over how Endgame essentially takes place in a single building.

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010

John Wick of Dogs posted:

I like the gay support group character cause he says he is seeing a new guy again and they really hit it off, and given the timing of when the Hulk got his second snap in to undo the first one, his husband likely materialized in his home right as he was getting lucky. And that's hilarious.

Wandavision establishes that snapped people can’t tell they got snapped when they first come back, so he probably reappears in his bedroom thinking he just took a nap only to find his husband getting rocked in the kitchen.

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010

Zaphod42 posted:

Yeah you know that line, "Child, my axe is still wet with the blood of your sisters!" felt odd to me. In itself its not too bad, but it does feel a bit creepy in context of everything. But maybe that's overanalyzing? With a hammer, everything looks like a nail.

According to Robot Style, who has posted info that has proven true before, he followed that up with a line about his axe “suckling” WW. So no, you’re right on the money that it’s mega creepy.

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010

yo they got Batman in this movie?

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010

CelticPredator posted:

Barry Allen is 7 years old.

Ahahahahaha holy poo poo lmao

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010

fart simpson posted:

im in china. we started it at 4 pm

It’s not available in China.

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010

Hollismason posted:

Like seriously what director goes " Yeah everyone has flat screens now, 4:3 is the ratio that Imma go with". Whole movie is trash because of that.

Are you aware most movies aren’t in 16:9?

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010

Zzulu posted:

Darkseid

His name is "Darkseid"? Jesus

Starting to realize a lot of people’s beefs with this film are just problems they have with comic books. Like, do you want me to build you a time machine so you can take it up with Jack Kirby in ‘72?

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010
The people who watch this movie without liking Zack Snyder are whatever, what strikes me as odd is how he’s managing to catch the flack for the flaws of comic books. Like “ugh there’s an EVIL MATH EQUATION!? And their planet is named APOCALYPSE!?” like, did you expect him to “fix” comic books for you?

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010

Neurolimal posted:

Taintrunner, guy who obnoxiously attacked anyone he thought was insufficiently leftist, not only turned out to be a sex pest but also crashed at Sady Doyle's place, who wrote the original Bernie Bro article. It's extremely possible that he was the inspiration.

The reason Taintrunner got perma’d, specifically, is because he was found to be a re-reg of Jefferoo, a goon who was perma’d for accusations of sexual assault.

This is relevant to CineD insomuch as we may remember him as having written one of the most embarrassing posts in the sub forum’s history, where he tried to defend Pacific Rim against SMG by claiming it was a movie “by the doers, for the doers.”

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010
If your life has taken you to a point where you’re willing to personally bomb a bunch of children I’m very okay with the idea of you not being able to make decisions anymore.

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010

AccountSupervisor posted:

Im confident that most of the drama surrounding Snyder as a filmmaker can be addressed with "whatever, who gives a poo poo".

I think the raucous success of ZSJL should be proof to everybody that these internet nerd culture squabbles do not mean anything to anyone.

When I talk to people who aren’t extremely online about Snyder films, most of them like them, and the ones that don’t have reasons completely unrelated to what the big online complaints are. Like, my dad hated Man of Steel because “it took too long to get to Superman” but loved BvS.

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010
Justice is Gray Edition is up on HBO Max. Sorry folks, still no We live in a society line.

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010

Burkion posted:

Is that scene different at all?

I specifically skipped ahead to it and I can confirm zero changes. Don’t know about the rest of the film, I’m gonna sleep after making this post. Probably.

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010
The Swanwick thing does confuse me. If he was planned to be MM from the very beginning, doesn’t that clash with what Snyder said where he wanted the cameo at the end of ZSJL to be John Stewart?

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010

Ferrinus posted:

What I'm saying here is that, ironically, resurrecting Superman represents an abandonment of faith for, like, gamer logic. We want to win, right? So we want to absolutely maximize our odds, right? Okay, what's the strongest thing we can possibly bring to bear, so powerful it practically obviates the rest of us?

The film makes it pretty clear that half the reason Wayne wants to resurrect Superman is because of his guilt over his indirect responsibility for his death. Even then half the team isn’t sold on the idea. Aquaman is trying to find any excuse to get out of there while they’re doing it.

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010
Snyder said on Vero that Supergirl being in the empty pod was “good guess, but no.”

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010
https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/f...-for-leadership

Can someone please change my username to UNTITLED SNOWMAN COMEDY? Thanks.

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010

Thanks for dropping in with a 20-minute video I’m not gonna watch and nothing else.

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010

khwarezm posted:

It's not bait, I thought it was an interesting perspective and would add to the discussion, I didn't think people would get crabby about me posting something like it, and just openly refusing to engage with it at all in a whiny kind of way like Pirate Jet did.

I remember the days when 20 minutes was an absurd length for a YouTube video, let alone one you expect people to watch mid-conversation with no context.

Pirate Jet fucked around with this message at 21:10 on Apr 7, 2021

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010
I think you’ll find the majority of creatives in Hollywood have good things to say about The Fountainhead, and I would not call the majority of Hollywood libertarians, though I can see why people would get confused considering how much both groups love children.

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010

YOLOsubmarine posted:

I see we’ve got the periodic drop in from another random dude that hasn’t actually read the fountainhead but is absolutely certain that someone finding anything interesting in it at all means they want to legalize slavery.

It’s not a good book, even a little bit, but it is explicitly a story about a dude who values the nebulous (though not illegitimate) property of “artistic integrity” so much that he is willing to destroy his career in pursuit of it. It’s hard to imagine that not being appealing to the majority of self-righteous creatives, let alone the dude who just did that in real life and it paid off for him.

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010

Sodomy Hussein posted:

Acting like this whole affair destroyed Snyder's career, or ever threatened to, is about as fantastical as libertarianism.

I amend my statement to say “practically just did that,” if you insist on comparing me to libertarians(?).

It seems obvious that he’ll be fine now but in 2018 Army of the Dead hadn’t even been announced yet and the dude was just making short films on iPhones in his neighborhood. Even today his own career studio considers him persona non grata.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010
I like it the least out of Snyder’s trilogy but it’s still good and I feel like it should be the baseline for how these superhero team-up movies work. No character feels underdeveloped or useless, every member of the League is a full character in their own right with their own arc. If it means every team-up movie needs to be 4 hours, I’d prefer that approach than doing some lovely wink-nudge self-awareness of how dumb of a character Hawkeye is.